Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 140 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  24 secs ago
 amigakit:  29 mins ago
 OlafS25:  45 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 OldFart:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  i am thinking of getting new computer soon
Register To Post

PosterThread
mcbone 
i am thinking of getting new computer soon
Posted on 23-Sep-2017 11:40:47
#1 ]
Cult Member

i am thinking of getting new computer soon

so i am thinking of getting new computer but can not make my mind up
To which i have i bm apple or amigaone x 5000.

i LIKE PLAYING GAME so ibm good for game but so his xbox and play station i have both

i like apple mac and i like look of amiga5000

i am getting back into amiga
His amigaone x 5000 any good ????

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Re: i am thinking of getting new computer soon
Posted on 23-Sep-2017 11:59:43
#2 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

This laptop is only £699.97 from Amazon at the moment and blows any Mac or AmigaOne out of the water in regards to gaming

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-7RD-208UK-Kabylake-15-6-Inch-Notebook/dp/B01MT6OVIM/?ie=UTF8&tag=techandgadgetsign-21&ascsubtag=c7930a85-956a-411d-a90f-47db46a2f115

K-L 
Posted on 23-Sep-2017 12:17:21
#3 ]

@mcbone

IBM ? They are making computers ?

Apple : it's a PC indeed.

AmigaOne X5000 : why ?

Why are you comparing apples and oarnges ?

You want to play : get a console (Switch, PS4 Pro or Xbox One).

From what you are writing, X5000 won't be for you (adn we do not want to live the same as with tslom's history).

pavlor 
Posted on 23-Sep-2017 12:31:16
#4 ]
Elite Member

@mcbone

If you must have an AmigaOne computer, wait for A1-A1222. Should be much cheaper than X5000.

agami 
Posted on 23-Sep-2017 13:08:11
#5 ]

@mcbone
Here's what I did earlier this year. I built a very cool computer using an Intel Core i7 6700K. 32GB of DDR4 RAM, 2 x SSD drives, 2 x HDD, MSI motherboard with built-in sound, GbE, USB 3.0 with Type C, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4. And originally I had an old Nvidia GTX 980 GPU.

I installed macOS Sierra 10.12.x on one SSD, and Windows 10 on the other SSD. When I want to play games, I boot into Windows, but otherwise I boot into macOS. Recently I upgraded the GPU to a MSI Radeon RX 580. The OpenCL performance is amazing, and gaming performance is very good. I run an LG 32" Ultra-wide 21:9 curved Freesync monitor at 3440 x 1440.

For Amiga stuff, I run Amiga Forever on the Windows drive.

I too like the look of the X5000. And if I had a spare A$3,000 and a much bigger study, then I'd get one, but for now I'll just have to put up with my x86 computer.

PR 
Posted on 23-Sep-2017 21:12:42
#6 ]

Some years ago went to a local real diy shop and the good guys asked what do You want to do with the machine?

Listed up the wishes and they builded a military class pc and we agreed in many things like Win7 , upradeable, can tune the i7, quiet , put my NVidia to fasten it up. Boots like an Amigafast, 1 Tera and lots of mem, and Black is Beautiful Tower etc.

Cost around 600e. They knew that we know about computers and got a good deal.

Never liked laptops.

The supermarket pc:s are not so good, this is, well if it's on or off, can't tell the difference.

Start up the XE and it's like a vacuum cleaner on compared. Waiting for the net and Altivec programs still as was in repair and now works flawlessly.

Hint to Aeon and all. There are some waiting. Please for the new and for the "new" like XE and hopefully Pegasos 2 users too are here for the killer app;)

PR

BigD 
Posted on 24-Sep-2017 0:11:54
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

I miss true home computers. Maybe the A1222 will remind me of them but in all honesty the concept is dead and probably has been since Windows 95 We had it great in the 80s and early 90s and we didn't even now what we had. Windows is dull, Linux is not exciting and Amiga OS is expensive! Our children are all consumer IT users rather than programmers and artists and I fail to see the Raspberry Pi reversing the trend! The Smart Phones are just so damn addictive. If I can't get my children into animation and progrmming by 8 years old I'd say they will be IT comsumers for life with NO desire to be creative unless they decide to work for Microsoft!!!!

Beans 
Posted on 24-Sep-2017 3:03:44
#8 ]

@BigD

Eh, if you want a PC you go with Window or OSX. And Mac prices aren't really justifiable.
Besides, Apple's too pompous to realize that touchscreens on laptops make perfect sense.

Of course stupidity know no corporate boundaries, and Windows sideways evolution since Win7 has confounded me utterly.
Window10 minimizes that stupid tiling that intruded on Win8 and 8.1, but its still there in a reduced form, and frog you Microsoft I DON'T want to ask Cortana, I freaking want to Google it because the answers are better.
Why TF can't I completely delete Cortana? You don't force this crap on your corporate customers.

There WOULD be a market for an alternative if someone released a clean streamlined OS that booted quickly and didn't force constant updates or spyware on you.

Which makes it obvious that the Linux community is clueless, since their kernel alone is larger than some of the entire operating systems I used on my earlier computers (actually about the size of three standard 3.5" floppies).

Right now, NG OS' occupy a fraction of a standard CD (where as Windows and OSX require DVDs for storage). They're fairly fast, compact, and IF they were updated, they COULD be competitive.

BUT, don't count on it. Our markets too small, and our resources for development are virtually non-existent.

So, what do you do? You stuff your frustration deep down inside as far as you can, and compromise and buy a damned PC.
It will do stupid crap, like insist on installing an update when you're facing a time constraint and really need to use it (or leave you wait forever for a warm reboot while it does the same thing).
Your vendors will insist you need new hardware and a new OS periodically (and frankly, since Win Vista, that crap has been pretty much the same under the hood, they just periodically screw up the interface some more).

And is that massively powerful i7 or Ryzen 1800X really providing you with much more utility than your first Athlon64? Hey, I'm not feeling the love, just some jackhole's hand in my pocket.

So, buy it, use it until its reduced to rubble in your hands and go out and get another one.

Which, now that I think about it, means I should recommend sturdy hardware over cheap or pretty (like that MSI system previously mentioned). I'm typing this on a Lenovo Thinkpad (yeah, they still make those), so yes Virginia, in a way IBM IS still around (even if its only a licensee).
You could beat someone to death with one of these things (why do I think of Bill Gates in conjunction with that?) and then you could sit down and use it.
They even waterproof the keyboards (something the geniuses at Apple haven't figured out yet).

So, if computers have become an appliance, buy a tough one the will last.
You could have skipped THAT whole diatribe, and just read the above line.

Last edited by Beans on 24-Sep-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Last edited by Beans on 24-Sep-2017 at 03:06 AM.

Srtest 
Posted on 24-Sep-2017 3:24:04
#9 ]

@agami

"built a very cool computer using an Intel Core i7 6700K. 32GB of DDR4 RAM, 2 x SSD drives, 2 x HDD, MSI motherboard with built-in sound, GbE, USB 3.0 with Type C, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4. And originally I had an old Nvidia GTX 980 GPU."

"I too like the look of the X5000. And if I had a spare A$3,000 and a much bigger study, then I'd get one"

I guess you had no budget or study issues when you built your pc. I guess also the reasoning made a whole lot of sense, unlike when considering the X5k.

So my question is why are you here to answer a person on an amiga forum who asks about getting a X5k to consider another platform? I tell you why - because this place tolerates all those pc guys coming here and taking a break from all the fun and usage they get from their machines. Because the amiga businesses are scared to piss you off. Go use your emulators on that pc emulation forum with all those amiga nostalgia lovers. I could care less to see you gone.

@mcbone

I don't know about the X5k but rather the X1k. If you like I could present you with a full report on what it did, does and will continue to do for me. If you want then this will be on a new thread dedicated to what people go through on their amiga or amigaone machines. I can send you a link to my videos but they are in a language you won't understand.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 24-Sep-2017 4:39:22
#10 ]

@mcbone<

I'm thinking of a new Winbloat machine too, really want "Elite Dangerous" to run well. Looking at an Asus
Z270 with a i7700K processor, Looks good to go.

Chris

Kronos 
Posted on 24-Sep-2017 8:20:52
#11 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
This laptop is only £699.97 from Amazon.....

A spinning HD in 2017 ????

In an laptop even ????????????????

-> FAIL

BigD 
Posted on 24-Sep-2017 10:14:10
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:

A spinning HD in 2017 ????

In an laptop even ????????????????

-> FAIL

Compare the specs to an Apple MacBook 'Pro' (joke suffix ) and it's chalk and cheese. The MSI will run games well on the move whereas the Mac hardware simply uses MacOS as the 'killer app' (like A-EON do with AmigaOS) to make you pay the hardware tax on old GPU technology that fits their thermal envelope designs! Also, OpenCL hasn't been updated on Macs for 7 years and the Metal 2 API is only being taken seriously by Blizzard because it's really designed for iOS!

If you don't mind the lack of mobility buy a PC tower for gaming, but the MSI looks pretty good for the money. An SSD isn't the be all and the end all. A platter hard drive still works and if it's too slow, swap it out

Last edited by BigD on 24-Sep-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 24-Sep-2017 at 10:17 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 24-Sep-2017 10:23:28
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Just spend a bit more and buy this one for an SSD and regular HD both included!

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/msi-leopard-gp62-7rd-core-i5-7300hq-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-dvd-rw-geforce-gtx-10-9s7-16j942-079/version.asp

Kronos 
Posted on 24-Sep-2017 10:31:20
#14 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Putting a spinning HDD in a laptop is still fail even if a small SSD is included.

!!IF!! someone is out for playing PC games on a laptop and doesn't mind compromises in heat, battery life, display and overall build quality the MSI might just be right for him.

For everyone else, something different would be better, could be a well build desktop, a Nintendo Switch or a premium laptop (and Apple is just one option here).

pavlor 
Posted on 24-Sep-2017 10:47:04
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Well, cheap laptops (eg. for less than 350 EUR) aren´t that bad for gaming. Sure, no SSD and poor build quality, but at least that one I use right now works good for older games (eg. Skyrim or Torchlight 2).

Kronos 
Posted on 24-Sep-2017 10:49:20
#16 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

I don't game outside of Nintendo (WiiU & Switch) and the old PS2, so I really don't care.

Point remains that the MSI is perfect for a small demographic and utter cr## for everyone else....

Plexus 
Posted on 24-Sep-2017 11:33:55
#17 ]

@mcbone

Gaming on X5000?
Sure!

Here I try ReactionQ3 under AmigaOS4.1 FE and X5000
https://youtu.be/CiI8ArFBnEk

AmigaOne X5000, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 special super 2 cores prepared super edition v75 christmas speciale uniqe quadro prepared AmigaOS... TWO MORE YEARS IS NOTHING IF YOU BEEN WAITING SINCE 1994..

PR 
Posted on 24-Sep-2017 17:32:37
#18 ]

Off the topic a bit but components are important.

How come an Amiga works well after 30 years and a market pc goes down under after 3 years?

Got a repair in local shop for some different "elko" and all in a motherboard for a tv digital box.

(For example)

Really Good Job. 10+ years to come.

Somebody knows these things.

Hopefully get a good machine for lifetime as here. Upgradeable like a lego tower.

Last edited by PR on 25-Sep-2017 at 12:25 AM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle