Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 136 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OldFart:  8 mins ago
 pavlor:  11 mins ago
 zipper:  29 mins ago
 VooDoo:  45 mins ago
 matthey:  51 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 gryfon:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  The End of the Windows Phone! Was this inevitable?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Poll : Did the Windows Phone deserve to die?
Yes, iOS is superior
Yes, Android is superior
Yes, MS dropped the ball
Yes, once they wrecked Nokia
No, the OS was great to use
No, the hardware circa 2014 was slick and cheap
I don't care. Any pain that MS suffers is probably deserved

PosterThread
KimmoK 
Re: The End of the Windows Phone! Was this inevitable?
Posted on 12-Oct-2017 10:09:22
#21 ]
Elite Member

As I know MS is not capable of implementing fast, robust and userfriendly OSs, it seemed as poor attempt to try to enter a market where they had no multiGhz or monopoly to use.

But if there had not been Android, perhaps MS eventually could have found business in cell phones.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Profile     Report this post  
paolone 
Posted on 12-Oct-2017 10:37:26
#22 ]

Hey, that's really funny: Amigans saying Microsoft should had quit its phone solution long ago due to its poorer implementation and thin market share.

Their 'thin' market share was 2.8% of the global mobile market, which means some 10-millions of units.

I wouldn't get into further considerations.

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Oct-2017 15:41:47
#23 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I got a new Samsung phone and found Microsoft mobile lives on in the form MS Office preinstalled. Why MS is putting Office into Android I don't know.

Anyway, I emailed myself an RTF, and it was picked up in Office. I tried to view it and it didn't have a loader. It had to upload it to a server to convert it into a format it could understand. Hang on, didn't MS invent RTF? Supported formats aside, needing the internet to convert a common file, pathetic! No wonder they are down the tube.

Too much reliance on internet. Office '95 (Internet Explorer).

Last edited by Hypex on 13-Oct-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Last edited by Hypex on 12-Oct-2017 at 03:42 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 12-Oct-2017 16:22:05
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Why MS is putting Office into Android I don't know.

Because they have given up on Windows Phone / Windows 10 Mobile not Office and other MS Apps! Hence why Bill Gates now uses an Android phone!

Satya Nadella's quote from Slashgear:

Quote:
Nadella’s vision of “Microsoft on mobile” consists of: apps and services on other platform’s devices.

... rather more sad for hardware manufacturers is Satya Nadella's revelation that he considers Windows Phone a failure despite some upcoming handset releases due!!

Arstechnica.com quote:
Quote:
We might well wonder why Microsoft didn't say so sooner and instead strung along not only the platform's fans but even OEM partners; it's hard to imagine that HP would have built its Elite x3 phone had Microsoft been clearer about mobile.

Talk about screwing over your hardware partners! Sounds like Microsoft has learnt a lot from Nokia CEO Stephen Elop and their ridiculous killing of the Symbian OS!

He also didn't want to buy Nokia in the first place!!! And, he never believed in the project!

[url= https://www.slashgear.com/bill-gates-uses-android-nadella-said-no-to-nokia-buy-26501624/] https://www.slashgear.com/bill-gates-uses-android-nadella-said-no-to-nokia-buy-26501624/[/url]

Last edited by BigD on 12-Oct-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 12-Oct-2017 at 04:33 PM.

utri007 
Posted on 12-Oct-2017 17:09:56
#25 ]

Windows phone was good busines phone. It had a good phone, calendar and email client. All of those are from a*se on iOS and Android.

That would have been their niche.

Latter when they desperately tried to make it multimedia Computer they failed miserably.

Kremlar 
Posted on 12-Oct-2017 20:51:57
#26 ]

I never owned a Windows phone but heard they were pretty solid besides lack of apps. I'm shocked they weren't able to carve out a sizable niche in at least the business market.

Microsoft gives up on things way to easily. Windows Media Center could have been great - they had the building blocks to make a Roku-style device with the ability to add a cable card and get cable TV - over a decade ago. But they never knew how to market it and stopped development to let it die.

Strange company they are.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 12-Oct-2017 21:10:30
#27 ]
Cult Member

I must say, I think it is a shame 'we' lose yet another alternative on the mobile market. I've been on Windows Phone since the December 2014. Started with Nokia's Lumia 735, at the time a sub 250 euro smartphone with good specs, like 4G support, decent camera and far superior in quality compared with similar priced Android phones. Sure, the OS (Phone 8.1) seemed to be not completely finished BUT at least it offered the choice to store everything on SD-card. Back then you were challenged to pull that off on Android. More than once I had to completely wipe my Sony Experia only to be able to install yet another update... which didn't really update the OS in a noticeable way, other than decrease in speed and increase in waiting time.

So, when a year ago Microsoft started to 'dump' the Lumias I got hold of a 950 XL. Still sub 300 euro, and that includes the Continuum dock. I still use the phone and am planning to do so as long as possible. Sure, it doesn't have the mass of crappy apps like the fruit phones and the Androids but at least with the Edge browser and good screen normal desktop-sites can be visited and used very acceptable, taking away the need for all those apps.

Will I be buying a replacement soon? Well, I have a psychological border when it comes to smartphone pricing and that border is at 300 euros. Also, when I buy new hardware it should at least be better than the hardware it replaces. I had a quick look this afternoon... there is no Android in the sub 300 euro range with the same size, same resolution OLED-screen, not with the same camera resolution and memory.

As said, it's sad that the choices in mobile-OS-es are again more limited.

BigD 
Posted on 12-Oct-2017 21:31:59
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Amiga_3k

Does a Sony XperiaX with SailfishOS sound tempting? It would to me (if I wanted a smart phone ) but you need a Windows desktop (Mac and Linux install guides to follow) just to install it on the handset! Why you can't buy one with it already installed is crazy.

SailfishOS Ready to Buy for Sony XperiaX Handset

blakespot 
Posted on 13-Oct-2017 0:07:36
#29 ]

@BigD

Quote:
Following Bill Gates admitting he now uses an Android phone, MS have announced that their 'priority' is no longer in new features or hardware! Game over! Buy Nokia, destroy Nokia, run their business into the ground! It's sad as iOS is a joke in comparison on the basis of having a more basic and buggy phone OS that bloats in size after each release and runs on hobbled hardware with no SD slot for instance. Obviously both iOS and Android won due to their app stores and the number of developers onboard. While I'm no fan of MS, their mobile paradigm made a lot of sense and the tile layout was well designed and slick on these phones (not so much on the desktop ).

iOS devices on hobbled hardware? For most of the iPhone’s run, and certainly after Apple began designing its own custom ARM cores, Apple has had a huge performance lead on all Android devices. Some recent posts and videos explain this to those who haven’t been following the hardware so closely.

Here’s just one:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-is-better-than-android,news-21307.html

Apple brought 64-bit ARM 2-3 years before it would have appeared from Qualcomm, etc.

You don’t have to like iOS or the App Store’s more walled garden, but in the area of performance there’s not much room for debate.

bp

BigD 
Posted on 13-Oct-2017 8:19:05
#30 ]
Elite Member

@blakespot

Quote:
but in the area of performance there’s not much room for debate.

I didn't specify 'performance' as an issue with Apple phones (though by comparison their Mac hardware models have rubbish GPUs and Graphics API support) but 'hardware' more generally. Their hardware is built for obsolescence WITH NO SD CARD SUPPORT A BIG PROBLEM!! And no the iCloud service does not make up for this.

While this makes perfect sense for Apple and its shareholders it leads to the handsets filling up as the OS bloats. And because there is no option to add an SD card you have to spend another high multiple of £100s to get a new handset when the space runs out! They did the same thing with the Retina Laptops by soldering the Ram to the motherboard rather than having upgradable slots.

APPLE REALLY ARE THE EVIL EMPIRE NOW!

A slower phone (if it's a compromise which I doubt) that's more durable with an SD card slot and headphone jack would be far more attractive to MOST consumers rather than constantly striving for thinner handsets with higher resolution screens with NO upgradability but a super new Axx whizbang Apple chip

Last edited by BigD on 13-Oct-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 13-Oct-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 13-Oct-2017 at 08:33 AM.

outrun1978 
Posted on 13-Oct-2017 9:26:12
#31 ]
Cult Member

@Amiga_3k

I too miss Windows Phones in particular the 650 model which for the £100 price tag was an absolute steal. The Android Nokia 6 that i have now isnt a bad Lumia replacement. You may find it similar in feel to the Lumia 930 that came out. it should be around €200 too!!

BigD 
Posted on 13-Oct-2017 9:34:10
#32 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

Quote:
Android Nokia 6 that i have now isnt a bad Lumia replacement.

Good call! I was looking at the Nokia 5 for my wife (otherwise she'll want an expensive Samsung G-class phone ). What's the difference between the two (the 5 and 6 I mean not the Samsung )?

Last edited by BigD on 13-Oct-2017 at 09:35 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 13-Oct-2017 13:00:13
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

A video of the brand new SailFish OS running on a Sony Xperia X:

Youtube: Sailfish OS on Sony Xperia X

Looks good

Next step should be to sell these phones with Sailfish OS as a standard option!

outrun1978 
Posted on 13-Oct-2017 13:13:26
#34 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

The Nokia 6 definitely feels more premium compared to the 5 when I played around with the two. Saying that the 5 isn't bad either I'd honestly have a play with the two down at Carphone Warehouse. The camera isn't bad on the 6 and it has NFC too and fingerprint recognition unlock so handy and more secure for contactless payments with the phone. The upside of any Nokia handset is that it's pure Android 7 Nougat and more importantly they keep them updated.

Battery life on the 6 isn't bad either I get about a day and a half out of it with moderate to heavy use.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 13-Oct-2017 14:12:10
#35 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

They (SailfishOS) have about a year and a half left to get things like bluetooth supported for me to ba a viable replacement. I simply need bluetooth as the boss thinks I should be able to use the phone while driving the car for some stupid reason.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 13-Oct-2017 14:16:07
#36 ]
Cult Member

@outrun1978

When the 950XL's hardware is in a condition that it's not practical any more I sure want to have a look at the Nokia branded phones. I know, we can't expect the bullet-proof design of the real Nokias (like the good old 3310) but to me the pricing of their phones seem to be more realistic than the offerings of, say, Samsung.

outrun1978 
Posted on 13-Oct-2017 18:07:14
#37 ]
Cult Member

@Amiga_3k

Quote:
but to me the pricing of their phones seem to be more realistic

Agree with you totally, there isn't much justification in my book for a £600+ handset when the £200 ones do a lot of the same features. The Samsung ones do look nice, but are completely unjustifiable and would prefer to spend the cash elsewhere.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 13-Oct-2017 22:51:26
#38 ]
Elite Member

@blakespot

Except that not all Android devices are ARM.
Which means there is room for debate when it comes to performance

Hypex 
Posted on 15-Oct-2017 14:46:00
#39 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Their hardware is built for obsolescence WITH NO SD CARD SUPPORT A BIG PROBLEM!! And no the iCloud service does not make up for this.

When you buy an Apple device you buy it for the limitations Apple builds in for you. Apple tells you how it is. You pay more money for the privilege.

I will say one thing. Apple are far ahead of Google and the ever popular Samsung when it comes to app data. I broke my phone for the last time and replaced it. The last month I have been faffing about trying to get data off because unless you enable USB debugging first, before breaking your phone, you're stuffed. And unless you have rooted it or have custom recovery.

I can turn my phone on. It mounts drives on my laptop. I can connect to it with AirDroid and look deeper in the system. I can even install software remotely from the Play store. But I can't mirror a screen or get my app data off.

I have friends that lost/had stolen an iPhone overseas. Not only could their photos and other files be restored to a new phone. App data is restored. At least that's what I'm told that Apple handles it better. Where as Google have been faffing about with app data for years and still haven't got it right! No one should need to enable developer options or rewrite firmware to root it in order to be able to recover data. That's just stupid.

Quote:
APPLE REALLY ARE THE EVIL EMPIRE NOW

You only noticed now, BigD? Been that way for years. As the saying goes, "There's nothing evil about Bill Gates, and there's nothing nice about Steve Jobs."

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle