Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

retrofaza

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 retrofaza:  1 min ago
 kolla:  15 mins ago
 OlafS25:  47 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 MagicSN:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  os4.1 problem
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
50mm 
os4.1 problem
Posted on 17-Oct-2017 12:26:37
#1 ]

hello fellow Amigans I am gonna need your knowledge once more.

Here is the problem : I restored my os4.1 system partition with exact the same content to another hard disk because the old one failed . I copied my system partition (through directory opus copy command) from backup disk that I had copied to it my system partition one month before the failure .

The problem is that I am getting messages when the os is started about not able to open several sys:prefs. The message is about one pref every boot and seems to be random.

I tried to save the prefs after opening again and saving again without succsess.

The problem is for example about time.prefs or gui.prefs or gfxprinter.prefs ... one message at every boot. Everything is working fine regarding my Amiga and I am not having any problems in using it beside these messages.

Please advise .

Last edited by 50mm on 17-Oct-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Last edited by 50mm on 17-Oct-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Re: os4.1 problem
Posted on 17-Oct-2017 14:48:59
#2 ]
Elite Member

@50mm

What filesystems were used in the backup process and on the current system?

50mm 
Posted on 17-Oct-2017 15:27:31
#3 ]

@Hypex

Thank you for your answer .
I changed the file system from ffs (i think) to sfs . The machine is very fast with the new file system but I hope that there is a solution to my problem without converting it back to ffs
or reinstall everything from scratch . I recently setup a friend's Samantha and it took me over 35 working hours to make it perfect I am not ready for another week of reinstalling everything on my system again,
please tell me there is an alternative ...

g01df1sh 
Posted on 17-Oct-2017 15:34:10
#4 ]

@50mm

The easy option is once you have your system how you like it is to clone the drive on a PC using something like

https://www.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/clone/free-cloning-software-for-windows.html

This way your get a backup and a exact copy of the disk so you can just remove faulty disk/install with cloned disk and be backup and running in the time it takes to changes a hard drive.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

50mm 
Posted on 17-Oct-2017 15:37:29
#5 ]

@g01df1sh

But this is an advise for future use ... Thank you for your answer but my case is different.

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Oct-2017 17:35:08
#6 ]

@50mm

did you install something recently that modified S:user-startup? it sounds like the setup for ENV: is somehow messed up.

-- eliyahu

50mm 
Posted on 17-Oct-2017 17:39:27
#7 ]

@eliyahu

Thank you for your answer . Actually beside the excellent RNOcomics nothing .

Can you provide me the correct syntax for the ENV: at user-startup? Is it a path problem that I have to look for?

Last edited by 50mm on 17-Oct-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Deniil715 
Posted on 17-Oct-2017 18:29:50
#8 ]
Elite Member

@50mm

It could possibly be that some prefs files lost the Read flag in the file attributes. Then the system can't read it. Check the attributes of the files in DOpus. Should be ----rwed or ---rw-d.

If you type ENVARC: in a shell. Where does it end up? The old harddisk that doesn't exist anymore?

50mm 
Posted on 17-Oct-2017 18:57:22
#9 ]

@Deniil715

Thank you also for your answer. I just checked the attributes and they are correct.
Also the ENVARC: command points to the correct path-drive.

The drive that replaced my old one is exactly the same . Same manufacturer , same partitions , same size ... I had made a clone of my old HDD drive actually as far as partitions structure and their size just in case .

I bought the two identical drives in the beginning running them together but in the end I removed one of them as my Amiga doesnt need all the hdd space of the two drives together . I just making sketches with it , listening music browsing and keep a reduced 6 megapixels photos backup of my main machine which is and I am feeling very bad about it my windows pc . I dream the day that I will be able to use my Amiga with a program that equals photoshop and its workflow .

Sorry but I cannot take seriously Gimp or the lack of color calibration hardware and software of my Next Gen Amiga . And yes as you already understood I am an amateur photographer . But there is so much joy
using it everyday that I am thankful that I have it in my possession and the dream continuous.

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Oct-2017 21:59:51
#10 ]

@50mm

unfortunately i'm traveling at the moment, so i don't have access to my amigas. to see if it's what i think it is, backup your current S:user-startup and then replace it with the default one included with the OS install. if you can then boot just fine, then that's the issue. it could be an extra semicolon or a missing line feed or something else that is preventing it from being executed.

anyway -- it's just a guess. i should have access to an amiga later tomorrow, so if you haven't resolved it by then, i'll send you a PM with the syntax of the default S:user-startup, and we can go from there. good luck!

-- eliyahu

tonyw 
Posted on 17-Oct-2017 22:50:09
#11 ]
Elite Member

@50mm

Just a thought - (since it's something I do from time to time). I often find after copying a system backup that I have references to the old (no longer existing) system, for example, in AmiDock.

Open a Shell and type "Assign", then read through the assigns and make sure that none refers to non-existent disk names. Check particularly for the old name of your previous system partition.

Once you've done that, search through APPDIR: for occurences of your old system partition name. You will probably find entries such as:
AmiPDF 3382180 ----rwed Wednesday 16:45:18
: SD01:Utilities/AmiPDF/AmiPDF
> SD01:Utilities/AmiPDF/AmiPDF

Where SD01: is the device name of your old system partition. The APPDIR entries are just soft links to the last-used destinations of system and other commands. Everything is there and DOS looks there first before searching through the Path for a command. APPDIR:'s contents are read from ENVARC:AppDir/ at boot time.

If you find lots of references to your old system partition, you can clear out the whole contents of ENVARC:AppDir/ without causing a famine or revolution. It just means that it will have to be gradually filled again. You could use a command like:
"Delete ENVARC:AppDir/#? quiet" (without the quotes, of course)

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

50mm 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 1:18:52
#12 ]

@eliyahu

Sorry that I didnt replied earlier but I started listening music on Youtube and now the time here in Greece is 4:20 Am . I must stop doing this to myself :)

Thank you in advance for the help.

Last edited by 50mm on 18-Oct-2017 at 01:21 AM.

50mm 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 1:23:23
#13 ]

@tonyw

I just executed the command and rebooted my Amiga but no lack unfortunately I am still getting an error message.

Also a big thank you for the advise.

Hypex 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 14:19:34
#14 ]
Elite Member

@50mm

I need to fill in some blanks as I only had time for a quick reply. What I was getting at, was the filesystem used for the OS4 volume and the backup. Just to make sure there wasn't a backup to a PC formatted drive like a USB stick or something.

So if you had FFS and changed it to SFS that should be fine. Well should be fine as the files would match. Some games and software can have issues for some reason.

You just need to be sure of a few things. With FFS it must be in DOS7 format and 2,048 byte block size is recommended, With SFS a standard 512 block size is fine.

35 hours is a long time. Almost a 40 hour working week. If you have kept your transfers to Amiga filesystems they should be fine. Alternative? Format a USB stick as SFS with an RDB and backup to that.

jPV 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 16:10:53
#15 ]
Cult Member

@50mm

If you copy all files from ENVARC: to, for example, a temporary directory in RAM:, does it succceed in copying or does it give some errors at some point? And does the resulting directory contain all the same files (check directory size in bytes for instance)?

One option is try to move some stuff away from ENVARC: and try to boot when it's clear(ish). Don't delete or copy elsewhere, but just move to another location in the same partition, then it's easy to revert them back again. I've had some broken file in ENVARC: couple of times and that has caused interesting issues... when I've isolated the problematic file and got rid of it, all worked again.

And of course formatting back to FFS and restoring the old backup there would be one option. My friend just had some issues with that new default filesystem (can't remember the name now... NGFS?) and also with SFS on his X5000. Problems were gone when he installed FFS...

Last edited by jPV on 18-Oct-2017 at 04:14 PM.

50mm 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 18:40:20
#16 ]

@Hypex

I will check that and respond will follow.

50mm 
Posted on 18-Oct-2017 18:41:27
#17 ]

@jPV

Thanks for the advise. I will also check your suggestion and will respond tomorrow.

50mm 
Posted on 19-Oct-2017 20:14:40
#18 ]

@Hypex

Actually the backup was done to an external HDD formatted with ntfs and then to the drive with sfs filesystem.

Last edited by 50mm on 19-Oct-2017 at 08:21 PM.

50mm 
Posted on 19-Oct-2017 20:20:51
#19 ]

@jPV

Sorry for the delayed reply the copying was succeed. The resulting directory contains all the files , nothings missing.

I will try tomorrow to move some stuff from ENVARC and see how will go thanks.

nbache 
Posted on 19-Oct-2017 20:35:42
#20 ]

@50mm

Since at one point you had the files on NTFS (which doesn't know about Amiga file attributes), I'd check the attributes of the files it complains about, maybe some of them have had their R bit (read) reset. That would make them invisible to whichever program (IPrefs?) wants to read them during startup.

Best regards,

Niels

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle