Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  1 min ago
 A1200:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 Tpod:  4 hrs 8 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 13 mins ago
 Birbo:  4 hrs 28 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  os4.1 problem
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
jPV 
Re: os4.1 problem
Posted on 20-Oct-2017 7:51:44
#21 ]
Cult Member

@50mm

Quote:

50mm wrote:
@Hypex

Actually the backup was done to an external HDD formatted with ntfs and then to the drive with sfs filesystem.

Backups should always be made to Amiga compatible filesystem if files are copied as they are. If using an alien filesystem like NTFS, then you should archive the files with some format which preservers Amiga's attributes.

When just copying files to "PC" formatted drive, you lose some protection bits like S (script) and P (pure), and others get reseted too. File comments are also lost. Depending of the filesystem there might be some other annoyances too, for example FAT may cause problems with very short names, all characters you might have in filenames on Amiga won't work, time stamps will be rounded, etc.

Your issue might not still be because of this, but it's a possibility nevertheless. In any case you don't have an exact copy after restoring the backup from an alien filesystem and the system isn't in the state its intented to be.

I format my USB backup devices (pendrives, external HDs) to SFS when making Amiga bacukps to them, and then keep the backups updated with some tools which just copy the changed files there... I think it's more comfortable way than start archiving everything.

Profile     Report this post  
50mm 
Posted on 20-Oct-2017 13:46:38
#22 ]

@all
A BIG thank you to all for your replies . As the discussion indicates it must be the fact that I used an ntfs hdd to make the first bakup . Nothing else changed on my system so this must be the problem.

Lesson learned !!!

I will format my external hdd to sfs and will make copy all of my data files beside the system partition and
will reinstall everything from the beginning . It will take many hours to make my system at the state it is now but I do not see any other solution...

PS. This discussion makes me respect our community even more if only there weren't so many fights everything will be better .

Last edited by 50mm on 20-Oct-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Oct-2017 16:54:17
#23 ]
Elite Member

@50mm

I thought something like "NTFS" might be involved. Not as bad as using FAT but not the best either.

Might be slow but using LhA to archive the Workbench, or indirectly through DirOpus, backed up onto a PC drive can also work well.

Using AmiDVD to back up to a CDRW if it fits or a DVDRW is also a good solution. Doesn't really take that long. And the Amiga bits are preserved.

At this point I think it would be good if Amiga meta data is stored along with files on a non-Amiga filesystem. We had the old .fastdir cache system. Some kind of .amigadata would be good.

Last edited by Hypex on 21-Oct-2017 at 04:55 PM.

jPV 
Posted on 21-Oct-2017 17:18:30
#24 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:

Using AmiDVD to back up to a CDRW if it fits or a DVDRW is also a good solution. Doesn't really take that long. And the Amiga bits are preserved.

One option is to create an ISO image file without burning it to any real media, and have that on the backup device. You can even mount it if needed later. I've done that kind of backups with MakeCD for example. It's way quicker than wasting your life by backupping with LhA :D

Last edited by jPV on 21-Oct-2017 at 05:19 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Oct-2017 17:29:42
#25 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

Lha compresses it, a ISO is going to be lot bigger,

jPV 
Posted on 21-Oct-2017 18:01:31
#26 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@jPV

Lha compresses it, a ISO is going to be lot bigger,

Does that matter nowadays? Or since long time... I think many even did that with the -z option which disables compression, to get some reasonable speed on slower machines.

At least shouldn't matter when we were mostly talking about making backups to external HD. And I guess compressing the ISO file would still be faster than compressing thousands of small files :)

Last edited by jPV on 21-Oct-2017 at 06:02 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 22-Oct-2017 0:33:39
#27 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

yes and maybe bzip2 might be bit better the lha anyway.

50mm 
Posted on 22-Oct-2017 13:56:34
#28 ]

@All
Problem solved !!!

I wake up this morning prepared to make the format and reinstall everything but instead I made a
Frappe (Cold Greek instand coffee ) and readed again this thread .

eliyahu was rigth my user-start-up was messed up . There was in it a wrong entry that caused the problem and I didn't see it at first. Thank you eliyahu and thank you all fellow Amigans for your advises and your time.

Last edited by 50mm on 22-Oct-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 22-Oct-2017 14:57:12
#29 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

Quote:
One option is to create an ISO image file without burning it to any real media, and have that on the backup device.

Actually yes good idea, I forgot about this trick. Probably why it didn't come to mind is if you need to do an emergency install of a backup and you can have it there on disc. Of course it's probably quicker to boot off SD/CD and have the ISO image on a USB stick so you can insert it and quickly mount the image for fast copy.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle