Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 94 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  52 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 ed:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 48 mins ago
 fordprefect:  6 hrs 22 mins ago
 redfox:  6 hrs 23 mins ago
 Karlos:  8 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  How did the world get sucked into using such bloated software
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
g01df1sh 
How did the world get sucked into using such bloated software
Posted on 23-Oct-2017 23:07:38
#1 ]

The size of updates for windows 10 is a joke. 1.2 gig for a update only to find out 1hr later it fails to install. As for the feature updates why does it take so bloody long to install one could reinstall the whole OS quicker. As for games average 40gig where does all that space go on a game that has no real single player option to talk of. What has happened to good level design and gameplay I have lost count of what version of call of duty we are up to now must be about 6 - 7. So much for new inovative games. Its no wonder retro gaming is starting to make a come back....

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Profile     Report this post  
_Steve_ 
Re: How did the world get sucked into using such bloated software
Posted on 23-Oct-2017 23:21:43
#2 ]
Team Member

@g01df1sh

40GB....that was small for some

Gears of War 4 was an 80GB installation, and MS managed to cock up an update to that - resulting in a 127GB download which managed to consume all the storage on the SSD it was on as it still left the original 80GB download on there as well (and wasn't fixed until much later on).

To be honest, I still havewn't even played the darn thing.

But game sizes have been tending towards an ever increasing size of late necessitating ludicrously sized drives just to install them - and leaving you with a headache when that drive fails.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 23-Oct-2017 23:33:22
#3 ]

@_Steve_

127gig and most likely complete it in a week thats is if it even has a single player option. Take out all the fmv cut scenes and your be left with not much of game.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Beans 
Posted on 23-Oct-2017 23:42:27
#4 ]

@g01df1sh

My laptop updated itself for almost an hour recently.
Not at all convenient if you need to use it.

So I see what you mean.

Its getting ridiculous.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 1:10:44
#5 ]

@Beans

Even worse in business how do you update client machine without interuptions. Im not going in at weekend just to check updates have been applied. This is why im doing them manually and not letting WSUS update them. Well done Microsoft on making the worst update policy ever.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

BigD 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 1:39:34
#6 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_

Quote:
40GB....that was small for some

Yeah, Windows 7 with pretty much just Elite Dangerous is over 50Gb!!! I'm guessing I could tweak the swap file settings to bring that down but still!!!! Massive!!!

But hey at least I know that it's trying to simulate the entire universe 50Gb doesn't seem quite so bad when you think about it like that Plus the hyperspace jump drive effect is awesome!

Last edited by BigD on 24-Oct-2017 at 01:45 AM.

simplex 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 3:50:20
#7 ]
Cult Member

@g01df1sh

I wonder if the problem is similar to Apple: they wait so long between updates that they end up having to transfer a boatload of data.

Honestly, I haven't had that happen with Linux in ages, at least not Fedora. It's just "sudo dnf udpate" and I can keep working. If I need a reboot (new kernel) I do it at my convenience. And these days you don't even need to wipe the hard drive to upgrade to the latest release.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 5:09:50
#8 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

It's not all that surprising in regards to games. Thousands of high res textures at megabytes each and high quality sound all takes storage space. We're at a point where incremental improvements to visual and audio fidelity will appear disproportionate to the storage space required to contain the media.

It's not like all software is like that though, there's plenty of more compact and interesting stuff out there, but much like the more elaborate special effects laden movies, big, shiny, glamourous visuals cost, and not just money.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 8:53:56
#9 ]

@fishy_fis

How much does a full install of os 4.1fe take ? including swap file if it uses on. Nothing else just standard install of what comes on the os4 CD / DVD.

Windows 95 = 120mb
Windows 10 = 20 GB

and we call that progress.

Last edited by g01df1sh on 24-Oct-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Chris_Y 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 9:44:41
#10 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Quote:

Even worse in business how do you update client machine without interuptions. Im not going in at weekend just to check updates have been applied. This is why im doing them manually and not letting WSUS update them. Well done Microsoft on making the worst update policy ever.

If you let WSUS handle it the user will get prompted when it is ready to install. They can defer or install now. Tell them to defer it until they go home and leave the PC on overnight.

It takes so long because it is effectively a re-install of Windows.

Daedalus 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 10:05:40
#11 ]

@g01df1sh

How well do your games run on Windows 95? Hell, your USB flash drive probably doesn't even work under Windows 95, let alone anything more critical like your mouse, graphics card or sound card. But at least you have lots of space left.

Yes, there's bloat, but there is also progress; the two go hand-in-hand. Storage is ridiculously cheap these days, if you're seriously on a budget, go buy a 2TB mechanical hard drive for £55 and install everything you want on that. It will be slower than an SSD, true, but you never need to worry about space in the same way.

As for OS4, it uses a swap partition rather than a swap file, and that's typically 1 or 2 GB in size. The OS itself is not much, probably similar to Windows 95. I haven't bothered checking because it's a tiny fraction of the size of any modern hard drive.

Having a single player option doesn't really add much to the amount of space a game takes up - that aspect is really only code and scripts, both of which are tiny. It's the assets - FMV sequences are one, but you also have instances of multi-channel sound and textures suitable for display on 4K screens, all stored with modest or even no compression. That's just the size they are, there's no getting away from it. If you don't want to play games that have that level of fidelidy, there are plenty of smaller games, and vast amounts of "abandonware" if you insist on playing games from the turn of the century. At least they'll only be around the GB mark or lower.

Finally, insisting on SSDs is changing people's perspective on hard drive sizes. Lots of people are trying to fit everything into 200GB or so - 200GB is how much storage my A1200 has had in it for the last 15 years! Storage has definitely moved on since then - it's not unreasonable to expect computers to have far more storage now than they had a decade-and-a-half ago. If you decide to put an artificially low limit on your storage for the sake of speed, that's fair enough, and a worthy trade-off in many cases. Just remember that it's a trade-off you made.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 10:06:52
#12 ]

@Chris_Y

Yes I know that. But when they do it and then do the restart they will be out of action until Windows has updated. From the first reboot is any where from 30mins to 1Hr depending on machine.

Last edited by g01df1sh on 24-Oct-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

g01df1sh 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 10:14:46
#13 ]

@Daedalus

Its not the cost I'm bothered about. I get the bit about textures and hi def audio but still 40GB to over 100GB for one game. Surely they could be written a lot more efficient. Windows whats its excuss it does not play hd audio while your using it or have a 3d rendered desktop. Is it 200 mb for OS and 19.5GB for Cortana shit LOL

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Panthro 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 10:27:09
#14 ]

I had to do a presentation once and when I booted my laptop it took 1hr to do a compulsory update >:(

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 10:32:44
#15 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

certainly much could be done more efficient but efficiency means investing time in it and time is money and because hardware is getting more and more powerful and harddrives keep getting bigger and bigger there is simply no need to do it. Regarding Amiga software, yes programmers invested lots of efforts in efficiency and saving space but the reason was not because it was cool or interesting to them but simply because even in 90s the typical amiga user had A500 with 1 MB Ram and two disc so if you wanted to sell anything you had to support this configuration. At that time there was already a critical mass in PC market with better hardware and harddrives. That was one of the reason why amiga lost the race (next to too many users preferred to copy software instead to buy it).

fishy_fis 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 10:51:58
#16 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Once again, it's the media that takes up the space for games. Coding can be efficient or inefficent, but there's no cheating for graphics and sound. High quality audio and textures cost. The only way to bring down the size is to bring down the quality.

As for Windows, you really cant compare it to AmigaOS. The Windows APIs alone are orders of magnitudes larger than the entire AmigaOS. It's also equally more advanced.

I dont disagree that OS sizes are typically way larger than they need to be, but you cant use such a basic, barren system as AmigaOS to argue that point.

BigD 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 10:53:29
#17 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
At that time there was already a critical mass in PC market with better hardware and harddrives. That was one of the reason why amiga lost the race (next to too many users preferred to copy software instead to buy it).

At that time A500 users actually thought hard drives were a PC thing only and the Amiga could only do floppy disks! They were the cause of the Amiga's downfall. Naive, pirate party kids who just thought the Amiga was a cool dongle to run cracked software

g01df1sh 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 10:57:34
#18 ]

@fishy_fis

I was not just comparing to AmigaOS I saying how the various versions of Windows have grown over the years to a Size that just not computer What can windows 10 do that requires another 14GB extra bloat to that of XP 6GB

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 11:01:01
#19 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

on PC market a lot of software was copied too but the market was much bigger so there were still enough people buying it (unlike on amiga). Then developing special exclusive games for amiga was expensive and that for a relative small market so most games were ports from PC but there was the problem that PC already offered better graphics and harddrives and better hardware in general so companies made bad ports or more propably dropped support at all. Additional many amiga users were childs low on money and thinking software companies are rich so copying and not paying is ok (I read that somewhere). I myself bought some software (less games because I was not really interested in. Exception was Ambermoon and Wing Commander when I owned A1200 and later A4000 both with harddrives).

fishy_fis 
Posted on 24-Oct-2017 11:14:06
#20 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

I understand your point, and not trying to be argumentative (rather just having a discussion), but is it really 14GB larger, or is it that the system you're running it on has more RAM? (the vast, vast majority of a Windows install are the pagefile and hyberfile, both of which are larger the more RAM the computer has).

edit: semi-rhetorical, I know that the Windows core would be lucky to have grown 1Gig since WinXP.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 24-Oct-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle