Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  36 mins ago
 DWolfman:  45 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 29 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 49 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 39 mins ago
 Bruce72:  5 hrs 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  John Lasseter is accused of 'Unwanted Hugs'! DISCUSS
Register To Post

Poll : Should all public physical interaction cease and/or should we...
... just communicate through the internet or via mobile phones
.. give standard verbal reassurances, greetings and distant gestures only to avoid litigation
... gain written declarations of a desire to be touched before initiating greetings etc
... assume everyone is a sensitive 'safe space' loving millenial now!
... only tolerate those with politically popular agendas with displaying public effection e.g. Gay Pride events.
... just deal with the devient sexual predators and leave everyone else alone!
... just ignore this ridiculous backlash as in all seriousness this over-reaction will persecute Lasseter characters and let the Jimmy Savilles of this world continue to walk free!

PosterThread
BigD 
John Lasseter is accused of 'Unwanted Hugs'! DISCUSS
Posted on 22-Nov-2017 2:20:18
#1 ]
Elite Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42070920

John Lasseter is taking a six-month leave of absence after allegations of 'unwanted hugs'!

I think 'Weinstein-gate' has now reached its inevitable conclusion in that 'safe space' culture is attempting to infiltrate every area of human contact and interaction. Kiss goodbye (or air kiss to be safe ) to any human expression of empathy, encouragement or regular etiquette and enter a world where you are very likely to be accused of some abuse related allegation especially if a colleague has a work grievance or wants your credit slot on the next Pixar film . I think if someone doesn't want to get hugs a stern word, the crossing of their arms or at the most a meeting with internal HR would be enough rather than rake this man's name through the dirt and deprive the world's leading animation studio of a major creative lead for 6 months! The world has gone mad!

Profile     Report this post  
Nimrod 
Re: John Lasseter is accused of 'Unwanted Hugs'! DISCUSS
Posted on 24-Nov-2017 10:06:12
#2 ]

@BigD
As somebody who still cringes at the memory of being ordered to kiss and cuddle grandmothers and geriatric aunts when I was a small child I can understand and sympathise with people who need lots of personal space. I still feel uncomfortable when I meet certain female cousins who are more tactile than I am who insist on giving hugs, and after a couple of seconds I put my left hand on their shoulder and gently push to break the hug.
In the case of an inappropriate hug from a work colleague this would also probably be sufficient, and if not it would at least create an acceleration zone for a "Glasgow kiss"

As for Harvey Winestain he abused his position of power to get what he wanted, and often what people like that want is simply to demonstrate that they have power over their minions. The sex was just a way of keeping score. Creeps like him have been doing what they do throughout recorded history and it will not stop just because some snowflake tweets MeToo as a hashtag. As you say, people need to learn to deal with the fact that there will be things happen in life that they don't like, so they need to learn to deal with it.
And if enough Harvey Winestain clones get a knee in the happy sack they will find a different way of massaging their egoes.

Rob 
Re: John Lasseter is accused of 'Unwanted Hugs'! DISCUSS
Posted on 24-Nov-2017 16:58:31
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

While we're at it. I wonder how many ***** Ant and Dec have sucked to get to where they are today.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle