Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  3 mins ago
 amigakit:  45 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  51 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  54 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Comi:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  How and where to collect digital stuff from other people?
Register To Post

PosterThread
Bugala 
How and where to collect digital stuff from other people?
Posted on 26-Nov-2017 11:11:37
#1 ]
Cult Member

I noticed there is one bit of computing history not recorded yet.

For there used to be, and still are, plenty of disks that had owners own drawn pictures of games that the disk had.

I havent noticed anyone collecting or recording these anywhere, only that i was able to find was old short thread on EAB: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=23353

Hence I was starting to think it would be worth collecting and publishing some of them in some form. Mainly I am thinking of a free Ebook.

But question is, if i start doing this, then how and where should i collect them?

How, as is there some simple system existing already that are used for collecting as example Copies of games already that could be used for this too?
And also in which format and what kind of instructions should i give people who decide to give their disks for the collection?

Where, as should i just store them to my Harddisk, or is there maybe some cloud system that is perfect for this, and perhaps has the possiblity for people to upload their stuff there too at same time?

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: How and where to collect digital stuff from other people?
Posted on 26-Nov-2017 12:21:56
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Bugala

Good idea! I can´t help you in this regard, but my employer organizes quite big digitalization projects - here is summ of our experience:

1. Keep it simple
1.1 File formats: eg. tiff or png; jpg is not suited for images, where smail details are important. Don´t use something you can read only on selected device/OS
1.2 Metadata: Keep info about any picture you got (author, date, game, country of origin etc.) in simple readable format (same as with pictures above). You can use this original source later in any way you like (web presentation etc.)
2. Keep it secure: If you can, use several means of storage (both local and cloud) for backup
3. Legal minefield: Be sure you have consent of original authors (for both image and scaned picture)

Bugala 
Posted on 26-Nov-2017 12:49:35
#3 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

I was actually thinking that pictures need to be categorised into two on that legal issue. Ones with the permission, and ones without. The ones without will be withheld from public until it is legally possible, for example here in Finland I think law was that they would become public domain 75 years after the artists death.

However, I think there might be a way to get around this problem. For if I burn all the pictures to a Cd, take it with me to China, rent server from there and upload all the images and fix the website in China, then it probably will fall under Chinese laws and I believe they can then be published without permission. Of course the downside is that I would need to make sure that whenever site is updated, it would be done in China, so not much updates if something is broken.

pavlor 
Posted on 26-Nov-2017 13:04:25
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Bugala

Quote:
I believe they can then be published without permission.

Note you are always subject of law of your country. Some courts don´t like "bypassing" law.

However, for now you may ignore legal aspects altogether and remove offending images per request. This would be probably the best way - simple and (close to) legal.

Bugala 
Posted on 26-Nov-2017 13:24:51
#5 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Yeah, actually i completely forgot the part that permissions might not be enough, since people might have been drawing copyright images.

But I would imagine it wouldnt be hard to get permission to publish something like that from copyright holders, as long as they are reachable. I am more worried of the workload on actually doing it. But then again, I am thinking this as a long term project in sense of trying to preserve part of history, so can use only little time every now and then.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 26-Nov-2017 13:58:54
#6 ]

@Bugala

Cloanto have been organizing massive preservation efforts for years. Look at the transcriptions from the three speeches here:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42002&forum=2

Contact them and ask how to help!

Bugala 
Posted on 26-Nov-2017 14:26:59
#7 ]
Cult Member

@TRIPOS

Good idea.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle