Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  32 secs ago
 clint:  5 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 Tpod:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs ago
 Birbo:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 MarcioD:  4 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Samba (weird?) troubles...
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tuxedo 
Samba (weird?) troubles...
Posted on 19-Dec-2017 22:09:51
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hello all...
I'm trying to install Samba on my AmigaOS4.1FE setup but getting some problem...
I installed Samba from OS4Depot.net looking at that guide:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/features/index.php?op=r&cat_id=4&rev_id=154&sort_by

It seems working but:

- I cant ping myself
- I can ping router or my wife's pc
- I can try to look at my wifes's PC doing:

smbclient -L miaopc

and get:

added interface ip=192.168.1.110 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7601 Service Pack 1] Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Server Comment
--------- -------
MIAOPC

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
MODEMTIM MODEMTIM
MYGROUP TUXEDOAMIGA
WORKGROUP MIAOPC

- I tryed Redeth but wasnt working complaining about "not defined network domain"

I dunno if was some noob problem or so...I tryed to reinstall the Samba 2 time without any success...

Mainly I dunno why cant see any shared device...

Sorry for bothering.

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: Samba (weird?) troubles...
Posted on 19-Dec-2017 23:13:27
# ]

@Tuxedo

Try smbfs for access of shared devices and keep in mind the following:

1) Since Windows 7 (or 8, don't remember) it's not possible to access a PC anymore as Microsold changed their handshake or samba version or security or whatever, so our samba is shut out (I tried with Win7 and Win10 machines, not a chance, at least not wirh samba itself)
2) samba is old...i mean, really old...and not very user friendly, handling that monster of a config file to maek it run properly is just not fun at all.
3) samba has bugs and it has shortcomings in the version available, even *if* you get it to run, it might work today, but stop working tomorrow. (I never got it to work properly, even with a WinXP machine on the other end)

All of the above is my personal experience on never being able to make samba work correctly.

Now the pros (at least with using smbfs)
1) You can (pretty) easily access (and even mount) shares that *are* accessable, with a simple cli command (see below)
2) It's a cli command which can be started and quit, no overhead, no big footstep, amiga-like
3) It's actively (albeit not very fast, or in our terms "amiga-paced") maintained by the original author Olaf Barthel...see here/
4) You *can* mount Win10 shares, but you need to provide a password on the windows side, so Win10 installations with only one password-free admin account won't work.

smbfs crash course:

You need to be able to ping a source to access it with smbfs.
If you can ping it, find out the exact path to the shared files/drawers/device (i tend to use a PC machine for that)
If you got your pingable source, do this in a shell:

Quote:

Run >NIL: path-to:smbfs UTF8 OMITHIDDEN CACHE=65536 QUIET WORKGROUP=WORKGROUP USER=USER DEVICE=SMBFS1: VOLUME=Windows: SERVICE=//192.178.178.2/Shared/ PASSWORD=SMBFS

The crucial part is "SERVICE"...you must get your path right, otherwise you'll get error messages from smbfs.

If everything went well...and it won't on your first try, believe me...you'll see a new volume pop up on workbench which you can access and work with as a "normal" amiga device (read/write/delete/etc.), with following issues.

1) It will probably be slow, depending on the support from the *other* end machine and your LAN/WLAN speed (i use it on a router with Linux installed and samba3.x...it was *very* slow until the maintainers optimized the linux part and it became 1.5x faster on disc access).
2) There is a discrepancy between UTF8 on the linux/windows side and the Amiga side, you can use special chars from the amiga side, but they will come up as different chars on the other end and vice-versa. Worst is that using special chars from the Linux/Windows side will break readabilty for the Amiga side, those dirs/files won't come up on the amiga side-
3) Name length limitation to 51 chars...give it a longer name and they won't come up on the Amiga side anymore.
Those issues can also be checked here

I hope Olaf will have some more time to address those issues someday, smbfs is awesome and easy to use otherwise.

I installed a local cloud with smbfs and it's working perfect.

Good luck, if you have questions, just shout

Report this post  
tonyw 
Posted on 20-Dec-2017 9:19:07
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Tuxedo

"Ping" is a standard C: command and does not use Samba, so it should work OK even if you don't have Samba installed or running.

I don't try to talk to PCs. All my Amigas here are connected via Samba/smbfs and the LAN. The NAS is also connected via the LAN so any of our machines (Amigas, Linux, Macs and PCs) can access the NAS for sharing.

All my Amigas have names and every machine has a set of short scripts according to the target machine's name. All my Amigas are read-only to all others.

There is a set of names and fixed addresses for all the machines. It is in Devs/Internet/hosts. It contains a number of lines like:

192.168.1.24 Bruce
192.168.1.25 Samantha

When the network is started, all the host names like Samantha are initialised to their (fixed) addresses.

So, this machine is Bruce. If I want to copy comething from Samantha, I first type "Samantha". That is a script that says:

Assign >NIL: Samantha: Exists
If Warn
run smbfs workgroup=Hardcore User=PCGuest volume=Samantha: Service=//Samantha/All
Else
echo "Samantha: already on line"
EndIf

When the "Samantha" icon appears on the WB, I can list the partitions on Samantha or read any file from any partition. For instance, I can:

Copy Samantha:RAM/Image0036.png RAM:

...which will copy the image from RAM: in Samantha to RAM: in Bruce.

One drawback is that "Samantha" is a background task. I have to remember the task number after the "Samantha" command so that I can "break" the task later when I am finished with Samantha the machine. You don't have to break the connection if you are going to reboot Bruce (the machine that opened the connection), since it won't affect Samantha, but it's neater.

One day I'll make up a means to "break" the connection from the icon itself.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

jPV 
Posted on 20-Dec-2017 10:32:41
#4 ]
Cult Member

@tonyw

Quote:

tonyw wrote:

One drawback is that "Samantha" is a background task. I have to remember the task number after the "Samantha" command so that I can "break" the task later when I am finished with Samantha the machine. You don't have to break the connection if you are going to reboot Bruce (the machine that opened the connection), since it won't affect Samantha, but it's neater.

This should do the trick in one line (be sure to copy all characters correctly):
Break `Status COM "SmbFS '//Samantha/All'"`

BTW. when sharing partitions between Amigas, I prefer NetFS Revised. It does preserve Amiga file attributes, isn't bloated like Samba, and has many other cool features.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Dec-2017 13:13:46
#5 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

Is the source of NetFS Revised closed? I don't see any source included. Otherwise a native OS4 compile could be done.

Daedalus 
Posted on 20-Dec-2017 15:51:51
#6 ]

@tonyw

Quote:

tonyw wrote:

I know it's a 68k/OS3 program, but my SMBMounter commodity takes care of that for you, remembering the smbfs tasks and letting you break any connection it made using a GUI.

Paul 
Posted on 22-Dec-2017 1:01:11
#7 ]
Cult Member

@Raziel

Quote:
Quote: Run >NIL: path-to:smbfs UTF8 OMITHIDDEN CACHE=65536 QUIET WORKGROUP=WORKGROUP USER=USER DEVICE=SMBFS1: VOLUME=Windows: SERVICE=//192.178.178.2/Shared/ PASSWORD=SMBFS

Can you clarify for me please:
WORKGROUP= (in my case "Home")
USER= (name used in the log-in account on the Windoze machine??)
DEVICE= (the numeral 1 in "SMBFS1:" is just in case another instance of SMBFS is already started?)
VOLUME= (the name of the partition on the Windoze machine I want to access??)
SERVICE= (I can't use the net address. If I use the name of the computer I'm trying to access, I get a little farther along.) /Shared/ --I assume-- would bring up any partition which has been marked in Windoze for sharing??)
PASSWORD=SMBFS (do I literally use "SMBFS", or do I use the login password for the Windoze machine I'm trying to access?)

I've tried several permutations of your Run command, based on the variables I've asked about above. But the best response I get with any of them is that smbfs times out before it can get anything.

I did install Samba to see if it helps, but as you note, it won't work with a WIndoze10 computer. And at any rate, it complains about a malformed line in smb.conf when trying to use Samba.

Thanks for your help. (BTW,I do now have both of my printers working with the Amiga on lpr:. Thanks)

Paul

Anonymous 
Posted on 22-Dec-2017 9:03:42
# ]

@Paul

Quote:

Can you clarify for me please:
WORKGROUP= (in my case "Home")

Be sure to set only one and the same name, especially on the Windows side, otherwise smbfs will error out because Windows is unforgiving.

Quote:

USER= (name used in the log-in account on the Windoze machine??)

Yes.
Windows 10 does not allow outside access to non-password protected users.

NOTE: This entry is case sensitive, so be sure to get your upper and lower cases correct!

Quote:

DEVICE= (the numeral 1 in "SMBFS1:" is just in case another instance of SMBFS is already started?)

Correct, i use SMBPC: as devicename for the Windows side and SMBFB: for my router cloud.

Quote:

VOLUME= (the name of the partition on the Windoze machine I want to access??)

Nope, that will be translated to the volume name AmigaOS will work with.

See smbfs as a "normal" device mount. To make the mounted device act naturally and "native" under AmigaOS, you need a volume for the device, just like with your harddrives (e.g. DH0: and SYS: - same hdd, volume and device)

That's the great thing about smbfs, once you get it to access your shares, you can access them like a normal HDD partition (with some restrictions)

Quote:

SERVICE= (I can't use the net address. If I use the name of the computer I'm trying to access, I get a little farther along.) /Shared/ --I assume-- would bring up any partition which has been marked in Windoze for sharing??)

"Shared" is just the general Windows name for everything that is shared on the "intranet".
Unfortunately you can only tell smbfs to access physical drawers or devices (i wasn't able to access, say, a printer that was shared on the Windows side, probably because smbfs is meant to be a massstorage fs) like C: or an USB stick or a CD/DVD/BluRay.

In my example i used //PHENOMIIX4/Raziel.

PHENOMIIX4 is the name of the computer to access.
It does work, funny enough, even if the Amiga side doesn't know that name, it's probably shared over the intranet from my router.
(The PC does have a slightly different name in my HOSTS file)

For testing purposes you should rely on the IP address, like 192.178.0.3, if that doesn't work and you can ping your Windows PC with it's name, it should be fine aswell.

"Raziel" is also a special case, as i have created a dir called "Raziel" on the Windows C: harddisk - right in root of Windows "C:" to not get lost in subdirectory madness.

You must share the directory or device that you want access to under windows, otherwise smbfs will error out with a "Share name not found"!

Quote:

PASSWORD=SMBFS (do I literally use "SMBFS", or do I use the login password for the Windoze machine I'm trying to access?)

That's just an example, you do of course use the password you have given to your Windows user.

NOTE: This entry is case sensitive, so be sure to get your upper and lower cases correct!

That's the only thing i sometimes get bellyache from.
If you set this line in network startup to make your shares become accessable at boottime it will be sitting there in plain text. Not that AmigaOS is easily breached from a foreign platform, but still...it does make me feel uncomfortable.

BTW: Don't use RUN in front of the line just yet.
Leave it out, it will make testing much easier as you won't end up with dozens of errored processes you cannot easily close.

Once you have a working line, add a RUN to make

I just reactivated my Windows share and am probably too lazy to get rid of it again, so it's still working with the latest Windows 10 updates in place.

Steps on how to do, will follow in another post for all the people you try to do it as well.

edit: added link to obarthels amiga-smbfs github issues
edit2: Added some more information
edit3: Add the need to "share" a directory to access it.

Last edited by Raziel on 22-Dec-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Last edited by Raziel on 22-Dec-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Last edited by Raziel on 22-Dec-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 22-Dec-2017 10:38:29
# ]

@all who may it concert

How to access a Windows 10 share with smbfs:

Preliminary work:

Windows side (apologies, i have the german version of windows and don't know the correct english translation they use)

You can share nearly everything, it only depends on what Windows will share (HDDs, floppy disks, USB sticks, CD/DVD/BluRays - not tested - should all be possible) as long as they are massstorage.

There shouldn't be any problems with firewalls (i have the windows one running), if there are, try to shut the firewall off for testing.

1) You MUST set up a user with a password, otherwise Windows won't let you access anything.
You don't need to create a new user, just use your common one (or admin) with a password (you may need to sign off and on once).

Write down your password for later

2) Set the workgroup according to the one you will use all over your home network.
- Do so by right-clicking on the Windows Start symbol and choosing System Properties
- Choose to change the name of the domain or the computer
- Choose the workgroup name to the name you will use

Write down your workgroup name for later

3) Setting up a shareable directory.

Example (HDD)

- Open explorer and browse to C:
- In root create dir called "MyShares"
- Right click on the newly created dir and choose "Properties"
- Open the "Share" tab
Here you will see the networkpath, this one is important, write it down as you'll need it later on
- Click on "Share"
- Click on the user that you want the share assigned to and finally click on share again

The directory is now free to be accessed from the outside.

Amiga side

1) Get smbfs (1.102) from OS4Depot.net and install it anywhere you like.

2) Open a shell to test and find your perfect setting
Do the following:
path-to-smbfs/smbfs WORKGROUP=the-workgroup-name-you-chose USER=your-windows-user-name DEVICE=like-SMBPC: VOLUME=like-Windows: SERVICE=put-in-the-network-path-here-like//WINPC/HOSTS/ PASSWORD=your-password

Some important notes:

1) the USER and PASSWORD are case sensitiv, so make sure you get your upper and lower cases right
2) Windows is using the backslash for it's (network) paths, smbfs (AmigaOS) the slash, so \\network\path\ will always become //network/path/ when using it witrh smbfs, otherwise you'll get an "invalid service name" error from smbfs.
3) Once you get it up and running, you can save the line with a RUN to your network startup (e.g.) to make it available at boot time (you need to make sure that the share is also up or you'll end up with an error message (or you can use a script, that checks/pings the share before trying to access it)

Fun stuff to do when the share is up and running

1) You can add some more options to tweak your access, see the readme to get an idea of what is possible.

2) You can add a "Disk.info" file to the share from the amiga side and snapshot it with any icon anywhere on the workbench.

3) You can run DiskSpeed to see how fast your connection is going

Issues, bugs and drawbacks

See here for a list of issues that may cease the fun (a little) of working with smbfs.

Common Error Messages
Here are some of the error messages you may encounter and (hopefully) a way to fix them:

Quote:
smbfs: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied).
smbfs: Cannot connect to server (13, Permission denied).
smbfs: Could not connect to server (13, Permission denied).

This is a generic error message, it means that something went wrong and the Windows side refused the handshake.

Unfortunately that can be pretty much anything.

Most common would be that you don't have set up a user with password yet.
Other reasons are:
Wrong Password (or case sensitivity!)
Wrong user (or case sensitivity!)

Quote:
smbfs: ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare (Share name not found).
smbfs: Cannot connect to server (5, Input/output error).
smbfs: Could not connect to server (5, Input/output error).

You'll get this if you try to access something that hasn't been shared (yet)

Quote:
smbfs: Invalid service name '\\WinPC\Share\'.

You'll get this when you get the slashes wrong

Quote:
smbfs: Server host name 'BLA-SOMENAME-COMPUTER' is too long (max 16 characters).

This one will bite you if your HOSTS file translates the IP address of your PC to a too long name.
It can easily be fixed by manually changing the name in DEVS:Internet/HOSTS to something shorter..one doesn't even need to reboot, it works right away...i love Amiga

If smbfs times out it's probably because it cannot reach the PC, means it would also error out on a ping, so try that first.

Hmm, i realized after writing this that i completely derailed the Topic

Sorry

Report this post  
K-L 
Posted on 22-Dec-2017 11:01:37
#10 ]

@Thread

Mmm, am I the only one who has understood that : Templario does not want to acces Windows shares but he wants to share HIS folders from HIS Amiga to the rest of the network.

Anyway, regarding SMBF, do not forget that the actual release has a huge speed trouble when sending datas (whereas there is no problem downloading). This bug was never fixed (I'm using SMBF both on my Sam440 and my X1000).

olsen 
Posted on 22-Dec-2017 14:00:36
#11 ]
Cult Member

@K-L

Quote:
Anyway, regarding SMBF, do not forget that the actual release has a huge speed trouble when sending datas (whereas there is no problem downloading). This bug was never fixed (I'm using SMBF both on my Sam440 and my X1000).

I already investigated this particular issue earlier this year (whoops: turns out that was in spring 2016!), and I haven't made any further progress since.

Reception being much faster than transmission is not the result of a bug in the implementation, it's a true limitation of what the SMB protocol used by smbfs can achieve. It sucks, but that's how it is...

Anonymous 
Posted on 22-Dec-2017 14:34:56
# ]

@olsen

The beta testing i did was giving sufficient results for what i was doing back then (copying back and forth, deleting, renaming and such).
Given the fact it's not physically mounted device, it's still *very* useable for all my needs.

Speaking of which...are you going to release the beta (1.206) or do you plan to add some more stuff/fixes before that?

edit: wording

Last edited by Raziel on 22-Dec-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Report this post  
K-L 
Posted on 22-Dec-2017 17:24:18
#13 ]

@olsen

Thanks for your answer (I wrote youn once regarding this specific topic but did not get any answer ).

When I have to send a huge amount of datas to my own home server, I use pFTP instead of copying to SMBFS (I get about 800 KB/s whereas the 1Gbs network card car reach 35MB/s)

BTW, smbf on Morphos has not this limitation in transmission.

daveyw 
Posted on 22-Dec-2017 21:08:47
#14 ]

@Thread

I'd also like to add that the latest version of Samba on OS4Depot doesn't work with my WB MyCloud. It writes a few bytes and then stops. Works fine with my other network drive, although the MyCloud is my primary unit, so its unuseable for me.

Last edited by daveyw on 22-Dec-2017 at 09:10 PM.

A1200T 40Mhz 68040, OS 3.9

Tuxedo 
Posted on 22-Dec-2017 22:54:21
#15 ]
Elite Member

@thread

ok guys...I really was a noob on networks and all that Samba realted stuffs...
I made some tests in that days with no luck...

my initial smb.conf file have that lines:

Quote:

; The workgroup you want your Samba server to appear in.
; If you have an existing group from linux or windows, use that here.
workgroup = Workgroup

; The name this server will be known as in the workgroup.
; This name should be unique, my A1 is know as "theseus", so...
netbios name = TUXEDO

; This string is made available as the server description and will be
; visible to samba clients.
server string = Samba Server

wasnt that meanings that using:

smbclient -L TUXEDO

I have to get a list of samba network shares and related server?

when I launch the above vommand I only get:

Quote:

3.AmigaOS4_FE:> smbclient -L TUXEDO
added interface ip=192.168.1.134 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0

and nothing till I press CTRL+C

if I type:

Quote:

3.AmigaOS4_FE:> smbclient -L localhost
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.5]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
All Disk All Amiga volumes
Anime&Manga Disk
Foto Giappone Disk
Moon Disk
Mast Disk
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server)
ADMIN$ Disk IPC Service (Samba Server)

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------

so no server found...

If I click on "Server" button on SambaPrefs I get:

Quote:

Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.5]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
All Disk All Amiga volumes
Anime&Manga Disk
Foto Giappone Disk
Moon Disk
Mast Disk
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Samba Server)
ADMIN$ Disk IPC Service (Samba Server)
nobody Disk Home Directories

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------

So appeared a "nobody"share that I dunno what was...

Also cant look for other smb shares on my network like my new fiber modem (called "MODEMTIM") that was the reason that I installed Samba since it have also usb mass storage capabilities and I like to use it as some sort of nwetwork mass storage for the house...

Also SambaMatic opens but dont found any server...

I made some tests with my android phone and VLC and the "MODEMTIM" was perfectly recognized as samba server and I browsed the attached usb pen...

One time I also saw my server but empty...however after some time not see it anymore...

Maybe I made some mistake on Samba installation but really dunno where...what...

Last edited by Tuxedo on 22-Dec-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Last edited by Tuxedo on 22-Dec-2017 at 10:56 PM.

daveyw 
Posted on 23-Dec-2017 6:29:16
#16 ]

@Tuxedo

Have you read this? https://sambaforamigaos.wordpress.com/

olsen 
Posted on 23-Dec-2017 8:16:19
#17 ]
Cult Member

@Raziel

Quote:

Raziel wrote:
@olsen

The beta testing i did was giving sufficient results for what i was doing back then (copying back and forth, deleting, renaming and such).
Given the fact it's not physically mounted device, it's still *very* useable for all my needs.

Speaking of which...are you going to release the beta (1.206) or do you plan to add some more stuff/fixes before that?
Hm... the last version which I worked on was 1.116, back in October 2016. I hope I didn't lose the plot There is always this risk when working on Samba-related code. The sheer amount of relevant documentation and the quirks of the various SMB server implementations tend to push one's mind to its limits.

Just to be sure, I just checked in the last changes for the amiga-smbfs project on GitHub, which I forgot to do last year.

I suppose it's about time to make another release. Not sure if I'll be able to get this done over the holidays, but I can try

olsen 
Posted on 23-Dec-2017 8:55:20
#18 ]
Cult Member

@K-L

Quote:

K-L wrote:
@olsen

Thanks for your answer (I wrote youn once regarding this specific topic but did not get any answer ).

I am sorry, this is a complex subject and I do tend to lose control over my inbox, etc. when it comes to smbfs. When I last spent a lot of time on smbfs, I had to take a break because the whole process started to consume all my spare time.

Turns out that the break has become longer than I realized or wanted to realize

Raziel was kind enough to test-drive the changes I was making to smbfs, but each further step to ironing out the last few niggles took so much effort in analyzing the logs, making changes, testing again, etc. that I had to take time off.

Quote:

When I have to send a huge amount of datas to my own home server, I use pFTP instead of copying to SMBFS (I get about 800 KB/s whereas the 1Gbs network card car reach 35MB/s)

BTW, smbf on Morphos has not this limitation in transmission.

Hang on, this is a very, very complex subject. The SMB protocol, as implemented by smbfs (which includes the MorphOS version), sports at least two or three different methods for getting something/anything done. How the smbfs file system talks to the server, and what kind of server software is being used, can have surprisingly different results.

I am not contesting that the MorphOS version works well for you, it's just that "working well" with smbfs tends to be limited to a small set of configurations. For example, the MorphOS smbfs contains changes made so that a specific NAS would work better with it. While these changes did what they were intended to accomplish, more general improvements do remain somewhat elusive.

smbfs originally came together through reverse-engineering. It was part of the Linux 2.0.1 kernel, and it evolved in parallel with Samba development. Because of its history, the inner workings of smbfs are not well-documented. My plan was to figure out what exactly smbfs was doing, and document it. To this end I wrote an SMB packet decoder which tells both what smbfs and the server end say to each other. Let's say it took a long time for that idea to yield results and help squashing bugs, but it did.

During the testing I found that it makes a big difference which Samba version you are using, which Windows version you are using, and if you are using Samba instead of Windows. For example, using exactly the same read/write commands you can either have identical high performance read and write operations, or you can (unexpectedly) have high read performance coupled with low write performance (this happens for Windows 7, for example).

As I mentioned, making general improvements which result in reliably high performance when reading and writing files (and reading directories) is very difficult. What I currently (well, at least until I took a break in October 2016) intend to do is to make smbfs work robustly and correctly with regard to the available documentation (which comes to about 32 Megabytes of PDF files and the odd WinWord 2.0 documentation which I still can't read -- anybody know how to convert that into something more modern?). That's the foundation for any further work that no doubt will have to happen.

But, as I keep mentioning, the nature of SMB tends towards frustrating your attempts to solve the problems it throws in your path. What you may correctly point out to be a major slowdown might under the hood be the result of 25 years of protocol changes and poor design decisions working against each other in way which cannot be reconciled or smoothed over.

The point is, not every problem can be solved, because it results from people believing that they solved it, two or three times over already, who at a time worked for Intel or Microsoft and didn't ever have to regret anything at all.

Incidentally, I wasn't joking (more than usual) about really wanting to be able to read a certain WinWord 2.0 document file. If anybody can make that happen, so that I can file the documentation away, it might benefit the robustness of smbfs. I already tried the usual suspects (LibreOffice, etc.) but no dice. That file format seems to have died out in 2003.

daveyw 
Posted on 23-Dec-2017 9:19:05
#19 ]

@olsen

Quote:

olsen wrote:

Incidentally, I wasn't joking (more than usual) about really wanting to be able to read a certain WinWord 2.0 document file. If anybody can make that happen, so that I can file the documentation away, it might benefit the robustness of smbfs. I already tried the usual suspects (LibreOffice, etc.) but no dice. That file format seems to have died out in 2003.

I have an old Windows ME laptop with Word 2000 on it. I will try and fire it up, see if it still works.

K-L 
Posted on 23-Dec-2017 9:21:46
#20 ]

@olsen

Thanks for these very complete explanations regarding SMBF status and how it works.

For the WinWord documentaion, maybe you could post it somewhere and we could check if there is the possibility to read (or convert) it for you.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle