Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 169 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  21 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 48 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 50 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 54 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Anyone notice you can't stop a DOpus operation?
Register To Post

PosterThread
Hypex 
Anyone notice you can't stop a DOpus operation?
Posted on 28-Dec-2017 14:09:36
#1 ]
Elite Member

One of the annoying things I've noticed about DOpus is that once it starts an operation on a whole host of files and directories you can't stop it. Case in point. I was deleting a host of files. I decided I wanted to stop. I press Abort. But then it throws up this directory not empty error. Regardless of pressing Skip or Cancel. It still continues. Presssing Abort again does nothing but repeat the process. How do we put up with this rubbish? I had to reset.

The search can be annoying as well when looking inside files. If you look inside one you have to be careful how you quit the editor or the whole search aborts. Would be good if it built a list of files. Bit hard doing a search deep inside directories as files aren't isolated. And it doesnt detect binaries.

Apart from this the new Dopus 4 has always annoyed me as there is no central place to download it. Doing a Google just picks up different versions of it. I've got 4.18.40 but see the Depot lists a newer one. Hopefully it stays up there.

Profile     Report this post  
OldAmigan 
Re: Anyone notice you can't stop a DOpus operation?
Posted on 28-Dec-2017 17:28:16
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

I've never really noticed but I'll check it out.

Do you just mean DOpus 4?

Fred

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Dec-2017 18:51:35
# ]

@Hypex
Latest DOpus4 O4 revisions...always up to date

Report this post  
Severin 
Posted on 28-Dec-2017 22:12:26
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Have you tried the dopus4 emergency break dunction that's been there forever?

hold down left and right mouse buttons...

I've not used dopus4 for years but that used to work on my os3.x systems.

Last edited by Severin on 28-Dec-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

Hypex 
Posted on 29-Dec-2017 15:38:41
#5 ]
Elite Member

@OldAmigan

Yes DOpus4. Forgot to add version number. And this is after I found DOpus5 and loaded it up.

Hypex 
Posted on 29-Dec-2017 15:50:53
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Raziel

That's where I found it last night as well. Only two years old. I just updated mine and accidently pressed the wrong button and erases my config. LOL. Fortunately I did it on an SFS volume so recovered it.

Hypex 
Posted on 29-Dec-2017 16:00:48
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

Yeah I think I recall that one thanks. Well I just tried it then. It didn't work very well. At the start it didn't do anything. I tried the delete window then the main windoiw. Eventually I must have hit the mark as did stop and closed the delete window. But it didn't abort straight away. Why Abort just doesn't do abort like a normal program I don't know.

I also found another thing I don't like. Can't sort listers. Can do it in a file requester. Bugged me for years. Can't see any option for it. Having a parent gadget in the lister would help also.

hotrod 
Posted on 29-Dec-2017 18:43:54
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Right-click at the top of the listers to sorf files. Left-flick at the edge of the lister (right/left) to go parent.

hotrod 
Posted on 30-Dec-2017 14:12:22
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

ALT+Enter brings up a list of all devices/assigns which can come in handy.

Hypex 
Posted on 30-Dec-2017 14:28:54
#10 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Thanks! I don't ever recall seeing this context menu for sorting. I prefer to see it in front of me than have a round about way to it. I'm sure I knew of the border trick but a line is harder to remember than a word in a box.

hotrod 
Posted on 30-Dec-2017 14:42:04
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

The menu was added after the sources was released and while it isn't perfect at least I have learned to get used to it. AFAICR the GUI is really hard to change so I guess it's kind of a work-around but better than nothing.

Also it's really fast, works well and can be configured a lot to be the way that you want it to be. With few changes you can get it to open files with your favourite editor and picture-viewer, MP3-player, movie-player and so on. Offcourse it works fine in DOpus 5 too which in many ways are superior to DOpus 4.

DOpus 5 has a bug that doesn't set the archive flags if you double-click an archive and copy the files. Also the new release uses XAD and opens a new window while the original release used ARexx and the LHA command (for example) and showed files within the same lister which I miss a little. The new way of opening a new lister is ok but that it doesn't set the archive flags correctly ruins it for me.

They are both nice in their own way but I tend to like DOpus 4 better. On the old a4k DOpus 5 had a speed of listing and sorting files that was unmatched but it doesn't matter much these days, it's quck in DOpus 4 too.

broadblues 
Posted on 30-Dec-2017 15:04:25
#12 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@hotrod

Quote:

DOpus 5 has a bug that doesn't set the archive flags if you double-click an archive and copy the files. Also the new release uses XAD and opens a new window while the original release used ARexx and the LHA command (for example) and showed files within the same lister which I miss a little. The new way of opening a new lister is ok but that it doesn't set the archive flags correctly ruins it for me.

That's not a really bug, the archive bit should not be set on a file extracted from an archive, that's the exact opposite of it's purpose.

You set the bit when you *archive* a file for backup purposes then clear it when modified. Then next time you do a backup only file *without* the bit set need to be updated in the backup archive. (Archive in this case need not be compressed archive, could just be a backup volume etc)

cgutjahr 
Posted on 30-Dec-2017 17:08:17
#13 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:

once it starts an operation on a whole host of files and directories you can't stop it. Case in point. I was deleting a host of files.

I have been using DOpus 4 as my file manager for decades, I never encountered a problem aborting an operation.

Quote:

I decided I wanted to stop. I press Abort. But then it throws up this directory not empty error.
Regardless of pressing Skip or Cancel.

Maybe you encountered an exotic bug, I don't know. It's just a workaround, but you can disable the dialog warning you about non-empty directories in ConfigOpus: Operation -> Delete -> Ask before...

Quote:

accidently pressed the wrong button and erases my config.

You mean overwrite your config? DOpus shouldn't 'erase' your config.

Quote:

Can't sort listers. [...] Can't see any option for it. Having a parent gadget in the lister would help also.

DOpus is meant as a filemanager for power users. Power users are expected to read manuals

Opus is using a custom GUI toolkit, which all three coders working on the GPL version described as a terrible nightmare. Adding additional gadgets to the actual lister was never an option.

The whole interface is badly outdated, violates all sorts of UI guidelines and looks completely out of place in any environment created in the last 20 years. It is what it is - take it or leave it.

mritter0 
Posted on 30-Dec-2017 17:18:50
#14 ]

@Hypex

Have you tried my Workbench Explorer?

OS4Depot.net download link

One thing about aborting a delete process, it happens so fast that the interface probably can't keep up with the actual deleting (updating progress bar, names, etc). Hitting abort may seem like it "registers" but the actual deleting is already done before the program has a chance to try to abort.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Jan-2018 0:07:44
#15 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Quote:
The menu was added after the sources was released and while it isn't perfect at least I have learned to get used to it. AFAICR the GUI is really hard to change so I guess it's kind of a work-around but better than nothing.

I haven't looked into it but going from the early versions it looks like it was built up with Intuition. Later versions such as DOpus4 look Gadtools like, at least in appearance. I imagined my self some button gadgets at the top, that would fit right in place, to be able to do the sorting. DOpus was also popular to customise the interface with. So looks like they didn't quite get to the level where the internal GUI code was as easy to customise.

Thanks for the information.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Jan-2018 0:17:45
#16 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
Maybe you encountered an exotic bug, I don't know. It's just a workaround, but you can disable the dialog warning you about non-empty directories in ConfigOpus: Operation -> Delete -> Ask before...

Okay I'll try that one.

Quote:
You mean overwrite your config? DOpus shouldn't 'erase' your config.

Well yes but it wasn't DOpus. It was on Workbench. I was updating DOpus and accidently pressed "Yes" when it asked to overwrite my config file. This is despite me having previous test versions of DOpus in other directories.

Quote:
DOpus is meant as a filemanager for power users. Power users are expected to read manuals

What manuals?

Well I'm sure I did years ago in the prime of my youth but now I've since forgotten.

Quote:
The whole interface is badly outdated, violates all sorts of UI guidelines and looks completely out of place in any environment created in the last 20 years. It is what it is - take it or leave it.

Sounds like all the popular software we had on the Amiga with the cool custom GUIs before 1990.

Then KS2.04 came out and ruined it. Everything turned to this boring Windows like look. The character and personality of Amiga user interfaces was lost and would never be the same again.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Jan-2018 0:30:51
#17 ]
Elite Member

@mritter0

Quote:
Have you tried my Workbench Explorer?

I think I have and nice work. I would say that perhaps why I don't use it more is because I would like this sort of thing integrated into Workbench. Perhaps a FR for plug ins so this could replace the old interface would be a good idea.

Quote:
One thing about aborting a delete process, it happens so fast that the interface probably can't keep up with the actual deleting (updating progress bar, names, etc). Hitting abort may seem like it "registers" but the actual deleting is already done before the program has a chance to try to abort.

In this case DOpus does stop to give me attention. There is one window I press the stop button on and another comes up to confirm it. So it certainly knows about it. If it has a backlog of deleted files then it could surely stop sending delete messages and wait until DOS has done the work. I don't mind waiting for the momentum to stop as long as it stops pushing it!

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle