Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
31 crawler(s) on-line.
 96 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  13 mins ago
 rzookol:  30 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 lewishamilton0998:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  4 hrs 2 mins ago
 VooDoo:  4 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  It's time to join the forces - Part IV
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
PosterThread
Samurai_Crow 
Re: It's time to join the forces - Part IV
Posted on 25-Feb-2018 20:38:38
#221 ]
Elite Member

@OneTimer1

Whether it's a Linux library or not, some of the dependencies aren't available on all platforms. It's not an easy out of box recompile. It needs porting. Many of the drivers require LLVM-pipe and won't work with Softpipe. Softpipe itself requires 1 GiB of RAM for texture support. It's not a good fit for Amiga.

Profile     Report this post  
OneTimer1 
Posted on 25-Feb-2018 21:19:19
#222 ]
Cult Member

@Samurai_Crow

Quote:

Softpipe itself requires 1 GiB of RAM for texture support. It's not a good fit for Amiga.

Textures needs a lot of memory, that why modern GPUs could handle more RAM than the Amiga was ever designed for.

That's one of the reason why AmigaNGs should go to 64 bits and another reason why the 68k guys have other aims than AmigaNG guys.

So far for 'join the forces'

noXLar 
Posted on 26-Feb-2018 1:24:30
#223 ]
Cult Member

@paolone

Yesterday i started on my third attempt to test the new Icaros, few years since last time, and spent the entire day with latest Icaros build(VM).. i was surprised to see and feel how great it was, i actually had the Amiga exploring feeling all the way.. it worked "splendid" and super fast.. Great to see how fast it has matured, since last time.. back few year ago or so, its really a different story now. I love where this is heading

Well done guys!!

But, i had to give up in the end.. used half of the day searching for answers on all the forums out there for my few problems.. and no solution.. to be fair i hosted icaros on my pc and my problem was exacly that im sure.. i also used oracle virtual box.. I struggled to get sound, that annoyed me alot.. so damn close:)

Gave up when i eventually found out on their site VM Icaros was not supported with Windows + sound..OMG saw that one to late.. but it was a great to finaly test it again.. Unfortunately Aros is not there yet for me. but its way better now, thank you.

i played around on the desktop, tested shit out hehe.. tried to get some software.. But one question.. do Aros only have one internet browser total? did not find any other. and i had some issues with desktop graphics.. .. and it freezes a lot, but i think that was my own fault, since i did a lot of shit to try and get sound fixed lol.. So i downloaded light version + vmware for my next try hehe.. maybe tomorrow:) it was really nice to see that Icaros was that good.. i was really impressed!

Sorry, went off topic there, but having said that, i love all the camps.. and i do in fact have 2x computers from each camp,:) just aros left.. will soon be trying again:)

back to topic!!

BUT.. if i was the amiga >BOSS.. that ruled over you all, the community & developers and owned everything regarding Amiga and the operating system and everything else that comes with it.

I would ordered them all to stop everything they doing, and get together for a happy time with food & drinks, and a good talk:) ..
and everyone would swallow little of that pride they may have, if there is any because i said so i am the boss:) I would finally see the teams have a lot of ideas and make a deal for the greater good of the Amiga, they was united at last, and from that meeting they where 100% agree on the roadmap to use for the future.. They had a serious master plan.

first stop all developing..make new roadmap plans, And agree to apply all the best features and technology from each of the systems, no arguing at all:)... and make OS 5.0 together as the "team united" that pulled of the most insane idea ever..
Long live the amiga!! love what u have guys.. !!

remotenemesis 
Posted on 26-Feb-2018 2:02:51
#224 ]

@noXLar

I'd just be happy with a concerted effort to define a base API for AmigaOS that is common across the various flavors.

ilbarbax 
Posted on 26-Feb-2018 8:02:30
#225 ]

Ok lets found the Amiga Steering Comity

Amigo1 
Posted on 26-Feb-2018 8:30:09
#226 ]

@noXLar

In my opinion, that's the only sensible way forward, to get somewhere.

There is no movement on the surface at all. It appears we are at a low as it has
not existes since a couple of years.

So why don't they group together? It is really hard for me to understand why they don't do it.
There must be something I don't see, because I'm sure all the developers are by far more intelligent than I am, and for sure they are also capable to jump over their ego.

Something tells them not to unite and move the platform forward as a united group.
Being only a handful of people (the developers) I'm sure they can have some leverage over the copyright owners.
That bunch of developers if they decide to go.. well, good luck to the "copy right owners" finding and paying some new ones.

Apparently they are all, well or at least most of the developers from all the camps, are working for no money anyway at the moment. So that is not the incentive.
I would love to be enlightened on this matter.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Feb-2018 11:05:49
#227 ]
Elite Member

@Amigo1

As explained earlier there are (in my view) both legal reasons, technical reasons and the egos why the camps will not work together. And there happened too much on personal level years ago, I think some of the developers would more propably chop off their hands than to work together with certain developers from another camp, expecially if you look at Morphos team and certain AmigaOS developers. Also technical decisions were done different and all camps are now heading in different directions. So who will drop his decisions in favor of a common platform?

number6 
Posted on 26-Feb-2018 13:58:40
#228 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
As explained earlier there are (in my view) both legal reasons, technical reasons and the egos why the camps will not work together.

"Camps" years ago referred to AmigaOS, MorphOS, AROS, CUSA, etal.

As you can see from the legal filings, now you have sub-camps within the AmigaOS camp...
A-Eon Technology, Amigakit, Hyperion Entertainment, Cloanto, etc.
Before you can talk about the former "camps" getting along you must deal with the sub-camps inability to get along.

Perhaps you need to either replace the word "camps" or redefine it officially for today's world.

OlafS25 
Posted on 26-Feb-2018 14:00:33
#229 ]
Elite Member

@number6

I refer to the old definition...

including all the sub sub camps would make it too complicated ;)

number6 
Posted on 26-Feb-2018 14:08:54
#230 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

In that case, unless anyone chooses to show examples which prove otherwise, the sub-camp of AmigaOS known as A-Eon Technology has been the only one I can cite as being open to overall co-operation, if not celebration of all the other "camps" efforts.

remotenemesis 
Posted on 26-Feb-2018 15:29:15
#231 ]

@Amigo1 @libarbax

I guess it depends on whether we want the Amiga to attempt to be a future platform, or a viable retro platform that outlives hardware, or a community of classic-loving fans.

For a viable future platform, the a significant question is open standards vs open source vs closed everything.

Closed everything is easy: leave it to A-Eon and Hyperion and hope they have a commercial success and hope he IP isn't lost forever should this path fail.

Some co-operation on open standards might help all concerned. Collaborating on the AmigaOS would allow the various flavors to continue development in their own way with friendly co-opetition. Given the shared challenges over drivers, I wonder if there's any value in standards for a Hardware Abstraction Layer. I don't yet know the internals of any of the OSes well enough to make this case but it appears to be an area that is sorely needed.

Maybe gather a few interested OG Amigans (David Pleasance? Dave Haynie?) to head up a non-profit foundation designed to standardize the useful things (i.e. not everything). A common API would be a great start and I humbly propose that everyone think about small achievable releases rather than grand visions. I'd love to see such a foundation end up owning the trademarks.

paolone 
Posted on 26-Feb-2018 16:34:51
#232 ]

@noXLar

Glad to know you like Icaros Desktop much more than before. Anyway, please use a serious virtualization technology next time, which means Vmware Player. I hereby suggest to stick to version 12, because version 14 requires a quite recent x86-64 CPU on the host side to work (this means if your PC can support VMWare Player 14, use v14; but if it doesn't, stick to v12). VirtualBox is better known for its random regressions with this or that guest OS (including but not limiting to AROS), than for its virtualization pleasures.

Sound, in any case, is known to work either on any version of VMware and on most releases of VirtualBox, you just need to choose the right soundcard emulation when setting up the virtual machine. Use AC97 on wirking releases of virtualbox.

Hosted Icaros, by the way, sounds good on Linux but does not sound at all on Windows. But remember that hosted icaros is NOT running Icaros under a virtual machine. Please refer to this page to understand the differences. Thank you

http://vmwaros.blogspot.co.uk/p/versions-comparison.html

number6 
Posted on 26-Feb-2018 17:00:06
#233 ]
Elite Member

@remotenemesis

On the subject of preservation/foundation/etc., you can always express your viewpoints here:

http://cloanto.org/

Signal 
Posted on 26-Feb-2018 17:58:10
#234 ]
Cult Member

@ilbarbax

Quote:

ilbarbax wrote:
Ok lets found the Amiga Steering Comity

As a disenchanted long time Amiga fan I would propose as a first step common hardware.

Everybody must give up whatever is on or under their desktop as the hardware of choice. No matter
if whatever OS you prefer is currently running on it. The new hardware must be open and well
documented. Cost can NOT be a determining factor in the beginning of the discussions.

Not having common hardware prevents a level playing field for proper competition and sharing of
ideas, knowledge, and resources. It would also allow independent hardware and software to be
developed for all OS's in a more timely and efficient manner.

This is not a proposal that must be decided overnight.

My 2p.

bison 
Posted on 27-Feb-2018 2:56:54
#235 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Quote:
This is not a proposal that must be decided overnight.

On the other hand, we'll all be dead before a decision is made unless the pace quickens soon.

Signal 
Posted on 28-Feb-2018 14:19:59
#236 ]
Cult Member

@bison

We can start now. First a CPU.

IMO:

x86 and ppc are too closely tied to standard motherboards and too limited for innovation, not Amiga.

ARM would take far to long to get going and again limited in scope.

POWER8 has lineage back to the G5 Macs. It can run Big and Little endian and the firmware is open.

Since Morph is already booting on the G5s and Amiga had that Mac project it might not take all that much to get it booting. Power9 is also a possibility, however it's not out in the wild yet.

My vote POWER8.

Discussion?

bison 
Posted on 28-Feb-2018 17:03:38
#237 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Quote:
My vote POWER8.

Can you buy them 'off the shelf', and are they expensive? If this something that has to be licensed and fabricated, and reading the Wikipedia page leads me to think that it might be, then it's probably a non-starter due to lack of resources, cost, and low production volume.

The architecture itself is certainly more than adequate.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 28-Feb-2018 19:29:52
#238 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

Quote:

Signal wrote:

We can start now. First a CPU.

Wrong, first a complete motherboard.

If you only have a CPU you will never get cheap hardware.

Signal 
Posted on 28-Feb-2018 20:05:47
#239 ]
Cult Member

@OneTimer1

Quote:

OneTimer1 wrote:
@Signal
If you only have a CPU you will never get cheap hardware.

'Cheap hardware.'
Go buy a RPI3 and be happy. 😀

Zylesea 
Posted on 28-Feb-2018 20:11:09
#240 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

1st: The OS is called MorphOS, not Morph.
2nd: everything requireing custom hardware or some rare Isa is pure stupididy and the manifested will to fail hard. Use x64 - PCs are easy to get and rather well documented. The letter oftenly spoiling the arm party. Which would be the 2nd best Option. Everything else is not a viable Option.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle