Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 108 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  6 mins ago
 amigakit:  8 mins ago
 vox:  33 mins ago
 zipper:  36 mins ago
 kolla:  43 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  57 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Software
      /  Downloaded AspireOS distribution to tryout on my old HP laptop ... looks Nice
Register To Post

PosterThread
redfox 
Downloaded AspireOS distribution to tryout on my old HP laptop ... looks Nice
Posted on 19-Jan-2018 22:52:36
#1 ]
Elite Member

Yesterday I downloaded AspireOS distribution of AROS to try it out on my old HP laptop.

I burned the ISO to a CD-R disc and currently use it as a LiveCD.

Now that I have discovered how to change the screen resolution on startup, the workbench screen looks very nice. Currently using built-in keyboard and mouse pad. Haven't figured out how to get the LiveCD to recognize my USB mouse and fullsize USB keyboard. Maybe I need to try the other USB ports.

Anyways ... I'm very impressed and will look further into installing the system.

This laptop currently has Wndows XP and need to decide if I want use the multiboot option.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 19-Jan-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
g01df1sh 
Re: Downloaded AspireOS distribution to tryout on my old HP laptop ... looks Nice
Posted on 19-Jan-2018 23:05:46
#2 ]

@redfox

What hp laptop you using?

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

ntromans 
Re: Downloaded AspireOS distribution to tryout on my old HP laptop ... looks Nice
Posted on 19-Jan-2018 23:57:30
#3 ]

@redfox

Does your laptop have USB 3? If so that could be the problem as AROS doesn't support that. If this is the case and you have USB 2 ports on it, hopefully they will work.

Cheers,
Nigel.

redfox 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 0:04:41
#4 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

HP Pavilion dv8000

@ntromans

4 USB 2.0 ports

Last edited by redfox on 20-Jan-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Last edited by redfox on 20-Jan-2018 at 12:16 AM.

realize 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 10:35:04
#5 ]

@redfox

Nice ill have to check it out!

ntromans 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 10:41:32
#6 ]

@redfox

It would be very unlunky if AROS didn't support your USB 2. Once booted, please try startng Poseiodon prefs (Trident) to see what's listed. It shold be showing in 'Devices' the onboard controller and anything that's pluged in.

Cheers,
Nigel.

lionstorm 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 14:02:06
#7 ]

@redfox

I thought AspireOS was dedicated to ACER Aspire laptop ??

Nice if it works for you but as written above, dont expect that all devices are working, specially if they are not parts of Aspire model.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 14:32:54
#8 ]

@lionstorm

You could also try this distribution

http://vmwaros.blogspot.co.uk/p/download.html

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

ncafferkey 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 14:45:50
#9 ]
AROS Core Developer

@redfox

I agree with Nigel/ntromans that you'd be unlucky if USB doesn't work. However, if your laptop has an AMD chipset it's more likely to have USB trouble than with Intel. You should try Icaros Desktop too as AFAIK it's been updated more recently.

bison 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 16:29:44
#10 ]
Elite Member

@redfox

What kind of graphics chip does your laptop have? All my attempts at getting AROS to run on laptops have ended with me looking at a black screen...

ntromans 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 17:42:43
#11 ]

@bison

Pretty much anything should boot in VESA mode provided the kernel has booted OK, but native graphics is better including, for selected chipsets, 3D. Please have a look here for the supported chipset families.

Cheers,
Nigel.

P.S. just to pick up on your comment on the SMP thread about availability of laptops (so as not to derail that thread any further), the Compaq NC6320 can still be obtained from e.g. ebay, at least here in the UK. I did a quicky search and found five on offer. A long way from new, but at least cheap (the lowest was £30).

But yes, getting AROS to run on a brand new laptop is getting pretty difficult. As always the problem is how do a limited number of developers keep up with rapidly changing hardware, especially when that harware is not fully documented? What's really needed is someone, somewhere to bring out an inexpensive but moderately powerful (say RPi 3 level) fully documented open source system...

Last edited by ntromans on 24-Jan-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Last edited by ntromans on 20-Jan-2018 at 07:04 PM.

nikosidis 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 20:11:48
#12 ]
Cult Member

AspireOS is for all kind of hardware but is set up to function best with Acer aspire one. It is still just a matter of configuration. I would recommend using Icaros Desktop as AspireOS is a bit outdated. I have a plan to update AspireOS but wanted it to use the latest ABI v.1 but as it is not working well regarding some important and necessary functions everything is on hold.

bison 
Posted on 20-Jan-2018 23:30:32
#13 ]
Elite Member

@ntromans

Quote:
Pretty much anything should boot in VESA mode provided the kernel has booted OK, but native graphics is better including, for selected chipsets, 3D.

I was able to boot, but got a black screen on all the graphics options, including VESA modes. I download the nightly build from last night and tried again, but it won't boot on any of my current systems -- it doesn't seem to work with UEFI BIOS. I thought I had tried it with my current laptop, but it must have been my previous laptop. (I get some of these from work, so they change now and then.)

So, at this point, AROS is a Linux app, at least for me. I created aros.desktop and aros-session-aros files, so I can log straight in to AROS and run fullscreen (AROS becoming in effect my window manager), but the downside to this approach is that I can't run Chrome or Firefox (not to mention mate-terminal) in the same session. I guess what I need is a modified window manager that will send configure request events to the X server on behalf of AROS so that it can be persuaded to map fullscreen. Some other weekend, perhaps...

redfox 
Posted on 21-Jan-2018 4:25:22
#14 ]
Elite Member

Update ....

HP Pavilion dv8000 laptop
AMD Turion-64 processor
ATI Radeon Xpress 200M graphics

AspireOS ...
Default is AROS (native graphics), which produces 640x480 display with 4 bit colour.
I have to manually choose AROS (true colour VESA graphics), which produces a very nice 1024x768 display with 24 bit colour.
AspireOS detects the built-in keyboard and mouse pad ok and both work fine.
USB mouse not detected.
USB keyboard not detected.
Kingston DataTraveler USB Flash drive is detected and works fine.

Icaros Desktop Light ...
Automatically detected true colour VESA graphics mode.
Automatically detected my Kingston DataTraveler USB Flash Drive. Works ok in any USB port.
There is only one USB port that can be used for a USB mouse or USB keyboard.
This is the upper USB port on the left side of the laptop. I assume this is equivalent to the upper USB port on the rear of a normal computer. Keyboard or mouse detected automatically if plugged into this port. All other USB ports on the laptop appear to be dead for keyboard or mouse.
However, Kingston Traveler USB Flash Drive is detected and works fine in any USB port.
Built-in keyboard and mouse pad also work fine.

I will read further in the manuals to see if there is more info regarding keyboards and mice.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 21-Jan-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Last edited by redfox on 21-Jan-2018 at 04:32 AM.

ntromans 
Posted on 21-Jan-2018 10:48:41
#15 ]

@redfox

Glad to see you're having some success there. Funny about the USB ports being fussy; are some USB 2 and others USB 3? At least they are working. If you wanted both a mouse end external keyboard off that one USB you could use a mini-hub to split it.

Just for the record, it struck me last night that the blank screen on some laptops could be due to the chosen VESA resolution not matching the physical resolution of the screen. The problem is some laptops have unusual resolutions which are not in the VESA list, which is unfortunately hard-coded.

Cheers,
Nigel.

paolone 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 13:24:01
#16 ]

@bison

Quote:

bison wrote:
I created aros.desktop and aros-session-aros files, so I can log straight in to AROS and run fullscreen (AROS becoming in effect my window manager), but the downside to this approach is that I can't run Chrome or Firefox (not to mention mate-terminal) in the same session.

Tsk.
That's 'cos you're not running the right version of AROS hosted.
http://vmwaros.blogspot.com/p/hostbridge.html

I am very curious about your configuration files which allow to run AROS fullscreen and as window manager. It's something I always wanted to do, but my rather scarce Linux skills didn't allow to.

Last edited by paolone on 24-Jan-2018 at 01:31 PM.

bison 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 15:16:43
#17 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

Quote:
I am very curious about your configuration files which allow to run AROS fullscreen and as window manager.

Create the file /home/bison/bin/aros (replace 'bison' with your username). You will have to create a bin directory in your home directory first if you don't already have one. Edit this file and change the path to wherever you have AROS installed.
Quote:
#!/bin/sh
cd $HOME/AROS-20171128/boot/linux
./AROSBootstrap

Make this file executable by running 'chmod 744 aros'

This file is necessary because AROS will not follow a path to the executable -- you have to be in the boot/linux directory to start AROS. I don't know why; perhaps you do?

Create the file /usr/bin/aros-session-aros as root
Quote:
#!/bin/sh
xsetroot -solid \#7799bb &
exec $HOME/bin/aros 2>$HOME/aros.log

This file sets the background color and starts the aros script. It also redirects stderr to a file in your home directory to help diagnose errors.

Create the file /usr/share/xsessions/aros.desktop as root (replace 'bison' with your username). Make sure there is a blank (empty) line at the end of this file.
Quote:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=AROS
Comment=AROS session
Exec=aros-session-aros
TryExec=/home/bison/bin/aros
Icon=
Type=Application

All of this will add an aros.desktop entry to your login menu; at least it does on my system, which is Linux Mint 18.2. Good luck!

Last edited by bison on 24-Jan-2018 at 03:19 PM.

paolone 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 15:48:07
#18 ]

@bison

Hi Bison, thanks for all your explanation, I will try it asap.

redfox 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 23:41:39
#19 ]
Elite Member

Update... First post using OWB on AspireOS.

Still using AspireOS and Icaros Desktop as LiveCDs.
Today I figured out how to config the network for Realtek RTL8139 network device on my HP laptop.

Even though I am still in evaluation phase, it is nice to be able to surf the net from these two distributions without having to actually install the system on the laptop.

---
redfox

paolone 
Posted on 1-Feb-2018 9:03:14
#20 ]

@bison

I tried on the ooooooold Ubuntu 10 virtual machine I still use to build Icaros ISOs, but it might be too much old for that: nothing happens once I had added (and adapted) your files. I will try this when I'll have more time on Mint 18.2 to better fit your setup.

Some little more questions I have to do:

Q1. you say

Quote:

Create the file /home/bison/bin/aros (replace 'bison' with your username). You will have to create a bin directory in your home directory first if you don't already have one. Edit this file and change the path to wherever you have AROS installed.

#!/bin/sh
cd $HOME/AROS-20171128/boot/linux
./AROSBootstrap

Icaros Desktop has a launch script on its own called 'icaros' which basically tests if a tap network device has already been set up and started on the host machine. Then it changes directory, execs "AROSBootstrap" concurrently (& option) with the user-defined amount of RAM

in my case the command is: ./Arch/linux/AROSBootstrap -m 768 &

The & is due to allow running the hosted-daemon, which in turn is a little script which accepts orders from the AROS guest and starts what the AROS guest is asking for. For instance, AROS guest asks to run firefox, and the hosted daemon starts firefox on Linux side (that's how hostbridge works). Hence I modified your lines with:

#!/bin/sh
cd $HOME/IcarosDesktop
sh ./icaros

would this work as well?

Q2. you say "This file is necessary because AROS will not follow a path to the executable -- you have to be in the boot/linux directory to start AROS. I don't know why; perhaps you do?"

No, I don't. However, as I already said I can start Icaros using the path ./Arch/linux/AROSBootstrap from the parent directory. That's what the icaros script is doing successfully (tested it on mint 17 and one of the latest Ubuntu). Had you tried an ABv1 build? Icaros is still ABIv0 based.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle