Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigang:  6 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  8 mins ago
 agami:  32 mins ago
 matthey:  38 mins ago
 kolla:  46 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  A user's approach to porting
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: A user's approach to porting
Posted on 23-Jan-2018 22:03:02
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

Quote:
1. I had thoughts about this from an emulation perspective. Like when you try to intercept a certain flow of information or accompany processes. This is like on the fly like something a jit does, no? which means it's also about an implementation of resource handling and some kind of interpretation. This looks system-based stuff that deal with this on a level of sophistication. Taking an engine and trying to put it in another system, that system needs to support it. Can a project just be a stand alone? what are the parameters? because then I can go in a clear path when discussing ports. Beyond the level of it being adapted to Linux or Power. To simply see if it can be done.

Then your talking about something like JavaVm, we don't even full version of JavaVM on Amiga so, JavaVM is basically computer in a computer. there disadvantages like being slow. and its generally poorly integrated into the OS.

JavaVM consts of its on GUI, the Java Language, the Java bit code.
it duplicates every thing OS does so the programs have one common API.

If you wont reinvest Java, then step back and think, we don't even have Java, anyway it not like this solve all the problems in the world anyway, most programs are not Java but written in C/C++ or C# anyway.

anyway reinventing a new Language for Amiga, be hopeless attempt as wont be used out side of our market anyway.

Anyway look back "Amiga Inc" Amiga Anywhere TM, that run only anything but Amiga what a joke. besides few games running on Blackberry, like Planet Z, Snowman maker it did pick up popularity can you imagine way?

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 24-Jan-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Jan-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Srtest 
Posted on 23-Jan-2018 23:55:47
#22 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

When you think about developing or adopting a browser you think along the lines of a constantly updated project. It's almost backwards in the sense that it doesn't really make proper and efficient use of the fact that where once you had to write all of your own libraries, today you have libraries which are already written so you can focus on acutally getting your end product, done.

Luckily for me I'm not talking about getting in touch with a browser maker. BTW, there are certain games that are constantly updated. They are usually not very good or are free to play...

So of course I'm talking about a definite stand alone project. I understand that from your persepective I'm talking about an engine and a language and an api. Only there, how can I help with an engine or a language? Whereas something like Underrail goes, I see beyond what the Wikipedia page says: "The game's custom engine and development tools are built using C#, Microsoft's .NET 4.0 framework and XNA Game Studio 4.0". I see that it works on WinXP using directX 9 technologies, so my line of thinking isn't SDL, it's about our possible way of reimplementing the stuff something like UR does with what is currently available with the RadeonHD driver and with compositing etc.

This is 2D and it doesn't even seem like it needs 100% optimization of system resources like an Unreal Engine game will need. Is UE more feasible because it's more accesible to you? that's your call, not mine. This is like a difference between a certain service and providing a tool or being a tool maker. I'm thinking along the lines of doing some basic preparation that porting or reimplementing something will be more like a service for a Ron Gilbert than any expectancy of him being a tool maker. If a lack of xna is a deal breaker then fine. Building a game from scratch wasn't a deal breaker for a guy from Croatia who created this massive (massive in ability to handle many different scenarios) game in his garage using 15 years ago technology which isn't even 3D and I'm not sure if it uses a single sophisticated shader.

I'm actually talking about something quite different from an infrastructure level such as implementing a new environment like Java. Maybe if you need a tool that will enable you to mimic a certain behaviour of xna then for you that's basic, infrastructure work. My hope is that there are a number of cases when something can be more standalone. Why would you take an engine and put it in another system? because its former system doesn't do it for you and you think that engine has a merit on its own. I understand that even though I see a certain technology on display on another playground, there's a very big gap to fill in terms of ready-made tools. I get it. That is why I asked if something can co-exist inside the Amiga habitat on its own if more straight-up work is what's needed. If it is basically a role playing data distribution system, although a sophisticated and engine-like, dressed with some bells and whistles like a composition engine, why would it need this octopus-api Java which does so many different things? This is a single "arm". If the materials are feasible then an offer based on that could be materialised and I with the help of others can use that to lay a path.

* I don't want to get off-topic. Only to say the Amiga Anywhere wasn't a rubbish idea by any means, maybe just without much backing. Why wouldn't it run on anything but Amiga? isn't that's what you have Amigas and Amiga Ones, for? if you send an ambassador to another country then will you expect him to be exactly like you are? or perhaps the basic idea is that this ambassador will behave according to the place he lives in, only in a way which will represent you? think about the possibilties if people would have been used to operating something like Amiga Anywhere. Instead they are used to Java which helps those who already have everything set in place and especially not us.

Last edited by Srtest on 24-Jan-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Last edited by Srtest on 24-Jan-2018 at 12:03 AM.

simplex 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 2:46:24
#23 ]
Cult Member

@Srtest

Quote:
I had thoughts about this from an emulation perspective. Like when you try to intercept a certain flow of information or accompany processes. This is like on the fly like something a jit does, no?

A JIT does that, but it's not what a JIT does, if you get my meaning.

Quote:
Can a project just be a stand alone? what are the parameters? because then I can go in a clear path when discussing ports.

I'm not sure what you mean by "standalone."

Quote:
Programming languages or architectures don't always give me the picture as far as what drives the stuff which progs use.

I'm just trying to tell you what's involved in porting, and what one has to think about. If that doesn't "give [you] the picture", then I'm not sure you understand enough about the problem to carry on the conversation, but I'll try an analogy.

I had a pipe burst last week. It needed replacement. Fortunately, it was (a) outside the house, and (b) a "standard" measurement. So the plumber just looked in the back of his truck and grabbed another 1/2" pipe to replace it (or whatever size it is).

In this case, the amount of work was trivial, because everything was standardized. Well, a programming language is a bit like the tools and process used, and the OS is a bit like the pipe size. When you have a highly nonstandard OS, you have to get someone who's willing to build you a custom pipe size, say. If you're lucky, he can use the same tools and process, but if you have a really strange installation then that's out of the question.

In retrospect I don't think this is a good analogy but it's written now.

Quote:
I mean, when I look at windows displaying interactive stuff, even if the way for that to happen goes thtough something which is alien to us (at its current state like the connection between a prog and its original habitat) I still see something I do every day on an AOS4.1 os level, meaning not even an out of reach project.

The trouble is that the code to setup and display and all that varies from system to system: different pipe sizes. If your plumber can only secure 1/2" pipes but you need 3/4" pipes then you have to be willing to pay him, and to wait for him to develop, a conversion from 1/2" to 3/4" pipes.

Lots of people can do this; that's isn't even really a question. The question is whether they have time and will to do it. And for that you need a lot of money, which the Amiga community hasn't had for about 15-20 years.

I don't know; I get the feeling I'm trying to answer a question you're not asking. Sorry if so.

Srtest 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 3:04:59
#24 ]

@Britelite

Quote:
You know, how about you first get in touch with the author to see if they're actually interested in anything you suggest. THEN you can start ironing out details.

I will get in contact with the author when I can present a tight proposal which will require the minimum on his side, seeing as he deosn't owe us anything and isn't a part of this community. That is why my appeal was to form a team of people that are willing to look into it in terms of feasibility. Won't happen? so I won't approache the man. It's very clear.

Quote:
XNA isn't available on Amiga, so a it wouldn't be a matter of doing a port, but actually rewriting a game. In this case a lot more detail is needed. What are the hardware requirements of the game (you know, to make sure it's actually feasible to even start working on)?

It works on a WinXP and it is using DX9. I think current gen Amiga-1 machines can cope with it if those machines use a modern gfx card. I will bet it can even work quite well on something like the Tabor. XNA is a tool that fits that environment and like Nuts said is considered not very sophisticated. Anyway, it obfiscates the actuall technologies which this game and its engine, use, which are pretty basic. Why he used xna? I guess like most at this position that what was comfortable for him and he didn't think is garage creation will have the success it got and didn't think in a more universal way. Likewise, I don't know if he would have been able to manufacture it with other tools. Sometimes a tool which allows you to achieve certain 2D objectives in a direct way is better than one which is 3D and mimics 2D. Like composition via 2D hardware acceleration is not the same as 2D via 3D.

Quote:
You need to figure it out.

It's not my responsibilty to find you an income, not as the one writing this appeal and not as a community member. I don't know what to tell you if you expect to make your living in Amigaland. I do think it's me doing my part thinking of and trying to find new posibilites for this platform.

Quote:
But you're not talking about porting games to Linux.

Whatever gave you that idea... I see several Amiga and A1 games coming from and going to Linux (amongst others). They have an advantage that whatever is considered a universal playground is pretty much ground which covers them. I would think our advantage is the ability to come together and not immediately bash and try to shutdown an offer which came from an unexpected source. I might be wrong.

Quote:
Maybe they want money for the sources? Maybe they need you to promise a certain amount of sales (considering these are commercial games)?

Well, I guess money which isn't a very obvious combined pay for a certain work is out of the question. Of course, my aim is to make the other side's work a bare minimum for advancing such a project. I'm suggesting something to a community, not a bank manager. If the community decides it's something worthwhile then just like in crowdsourcing, everyone who think it's worth it will pitch in. As far as talking about the future, let's see if something even begins in the present.

[/quote]Of course I do, I want to make sure you have a clue about what you're suggesting. And I want to know that you've actually given this whole thing some actual thought, or if you're just spewing random nonsense.[/quote]

First of all, I don't owe you anything even if I'm not a coder. If people like this then great. If not, then I'll manage. I can talk about everything I did following to this appeal and I have a pretty good idea most of it is stuff you haven't even considered like information gathering about certain individuals and their practices. Seeing as I'm actually taking the time to address your concerns, it's pretty interesting to thing what do you have in mind for my reasons for doing so? if this is nonesensical then the result of this discussion will showcase that. If I manage to open a way into something then even if I don't get an "ok" right here and now I think it seeded a possibility here.

Quote:
I know, this would've been a terrible pitch at a work place.

Then lucky for both of us we don't work together. Seeing as this comes from a community memeber aproaching the community, the parameters for success doesn't revolve around me impressing you as a co-worker or a contractor of any kind. You can rest easy.

[/quote]As you're not doing any of the development, you need to show that you're useful for at least something. So what exactly would your role be? How can anyone commit to your suggestion if we don't have any details? You need to at least have some groundwork done, even if just a simple email to the authors of the games you want ported asking if they're at all interested. This isn't too much to ask, now is it?[/quote]

My existence as an Amigan is not useful. That is why I'm trying to add that part here. If this is an objective of yours then you would see to it that I am useful...
I don't expect anyone to commit to anything. I have come here in this window to address this matter and the people who hang out here. This is how ideas work - they get trasnfered and then molded into something tangible.
What do you think such an email should contain? please Mr Gilbert I'm a veteran Amigan and I think it will be really cool if you will work with us to bring your cool retro game to Amigaland just like your old classics? Or maybe please Mr. Styg, I identify with the way you realized your game having come from a a community that even exists thanks to a unique realization of the Amiga computer 30 years ago.
Well, looking at it again, I see the fanboy approach as kinda limited...

Quote:
So, like I said, the first step is to get in touch with the authors and ask if they're at all interested in a port to the Amiga. Before we have an answer to that, there's no point in discussing anything further.

I guess from your point of view there's no point to this discussion as it is now. Seeing as my point is that I need to have something in order of presenting anything to anyone who's a serious guy like Gilbert or Styg, I guess we know where we stand, which is something that is simply obvious. That's also a point I've made in this post before as a condition to taking this further.

Last edited by Srtest on 24-Jan-2018 at 03:16 AM.

Srtest 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 3:48:53
#25 ]

@simplex

i think I get what you're saying about Jit both from the work it does and the improtance of its meaning. Like the difference between talking and using words and doing something with them. Or the difference between using Jit to take words and change or emulate them and taking words which mean something in terms of using resources and applying them in specific situations. Developers told me in the past that a proof of concept matters. A lot can be done with a proof of concept. Just like if you show someone on that original platform the meaning of your implementaion of Jit as far as his ability to simply transfer his stuff to your platform, then that proof of concept has meaning in terms of the ability to grasp a goal of a project. We're talking of course about a specific Jit not one that fits all-type of emulation.

How can I put this? standalone is a container in terms of what it can do in a certain system. It needs to have the minimum conditions to operate within that context (like rules of a system) and be effective in achieving its goals by presenting you with a result that at least has the barebones characteristics of the workings in the original ecosystem. This is like those Sierra games via ScummVM which are like the same and not the same at the same time. It's a reimplementaion, not an emulation. They have taken the engines out of those obsolete systems (and by ignoring some preconditions of those systems) and gave it to you in a new wrap which fits your changing needs and even adds something unique like scalers and emulation of certain audio that was unavailable if you were on a specific platform back in the day. Similarly, if you now look at something like the original Scumm games, they looked and sounded very different on different platforms, games like Maniac Mansion and Zack Mckracken. This day to take a game from another system (not 30 years ago) and at the very minimum preserve the gameplay if nothing else is both an achivement and should be a continued goal. It doesn't have to be the same and in fact a goal like that would hinder progress on most non-mainstream systems (which is why I have my opinions on standards in the computing world but that's beside the point).

Your analogy actually helped me make sense of the connection to a certain system. Because a certain system might be a beautiful logical garden to some and a cesspool to others. If you see a giant rubble of flowers or manure, the only thing that matters is putting your pipe in a position to get stuff from A to B because regardless if you live in a hole or a palace - you need to drink and that need makes you think of ways to adapt. An adaptaion might be about a standard concering water, because you need certain things from the water which is also a way to contain it while it goes through the pipe and that same water today comes from the sea which in the past was impossible and you needed to live near rivers and if you think about it when you lived near rivers you didn't think about pipes. Not seeing a river in your lifetime should get you to start thinking about getting water because even though the construcion for pipes is there you never know what might come through it...

Not only your story didn't present an obstacle it actully presented to me a non-linear way of going about this and got me thinking that instead of answers I might need to switch into questions. I guess what works for a pitch to this community probably won't work for an appeal to a mostly independent developer. That's why I started all of this - to see the sides of the coin. Yes, there is a coin. We are talking both a about a commercial and a successful product.

I can also offer to work for my plumber and if the situation between us is that he works for me at my business, I can make a deal with him that when I have customers he will get a cut. This isn't about money per say in this discussion... only that when you think of different ways in an economy and even of economic relations themselves, you might be able to detach yourself from thinking only about how more of a certain currency would help and instead establish a relationship based on the trading of something you can exchange. You know, like they did in the world througout history. Presenting a work of passion of a combined community effory to an old school developer who struggled to keep point and click adventures alive in this day and age might have an appeal for him.

Last edited by Srtest on 24-Jan-2018 at 03:59 AM.

A1200 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 4:04:03
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

If you are frustrated about the pace of interesting and popular software being ported to the Amiga platform, I see two ways you can really help as opposed to steer coders to work on things you as a single user want. 1, is pay them to do the work - start a software company and with your own or investor's cash employ/contract developers to do whatever you want. 2, learn to code. It's not a black magic reserved for the lucky few - it's taught in schools around the globe nowadays. Get a book and who knows what you will achieve?

Britelite 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 6:42:15
#27 ]

@Srtest

Quote:
I guess from your point of view there's no point to this discussion as it is now.

From a developers point of view, no, there's nothing to talk about.

Quote:
Seeing as my point is that I need to have something in order of presenting anything to anyone who's a serious guy like Gilbert or Styg, I guess we know where we stand, which is something that is simply obvious. That's also a point I've made in this post before as a condition to taking this further.

It's fairly obvious you have no clue about software development. Developers need to know what technologies each game is using to be able to propose a solution. And we need to know if the authors are ok with parting with their assets for the games, and under what conditions. Developing something blindly, hoping the technologies match, is just a waste of time.

But anyway, I'm sorry for thinking you were actually serious about getting something done, as it's clear you'd rather just have a nice chitchat about things you don't really understand, without it leading to you actually having to do anything. Good luck in getting this to result in anything else than this forum thread.

kas1e 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 10:26:38
#28 ]
Elite Member

Wait! Its me! Me who will told everyone what need to do ! :))

Strest, for real, today only help what can be done for any amigalike, its learn code and doing something. I mean not told ideas of all sort, but learn code. All others mean gebrochen, rafaelle, vox, daxx and how many there was :)

Last edited by kas1e on 24-Jan-2018 at 10:27 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 11:34:23
#29 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:
vox

voijin at least has found a refuge on vampire/apollo forum and after few initial rants slowly gathered himself and as of today his posts are for most part factual or even helpful. even atheist toned down by now. wonder if this is genuinely the peoples own attitude or the circumstances make them behave like that.

Last edited by wawa on 24-Jan-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Srtest 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 14:20:39
#30 ]

@A1200

Who said that I'm frustrated? seing how things are done elsewhere just because of that playground being the only habitat people know about doesn't mean that I'm frustrated. That's someone else's issues. You don't see me linger around these parts venting about how AOS4.1 is not like the classics or anything. I'm actully quite pleased about my choice of setup and os and playground. This is a pick and choose situation where I can pinpoint a certain target which I think embodies some games (in this example) of the past like those which used to symbolize this platform. This platform still lives with players of Scumm games or those who remember the days when a game was something more personal.

If this appeal appears to you (and again with this talent of some people here to completely disregard everything which is written because it suits them) as simply the wish of a single user trying to lure coders to something that user wants then we have nothing more to discuss, just like your obvious talk about money and learning to code. How about I do you one better so you won't have to be bothered? I can play both Underrail and Thimbleweed Park on a pc as a consumer. There, deal's done. Everything is clear. Nothing is required of you.

@Britelite

If there's nothing to talk about then that suits you, no? like i said, this is quite simple - if the objective is deemed worthee then people will view it as such. If what's stopping you to envision a possibility to recreate something here which uses technologies A1s have at their disposal is a more elaborate display of the tools used then that's the next step and I will provide you with that info.

Wether I have or don't have a clue at this point in time there's no harm's done. Getting there, in terms of presenting something feasible to an author which also means trying to figure out before hand what will get him to view something like this in a positive way, entails something more than "talk to me when it's done". Nothing is simply done. There's a way about this not a magic wand when everything will appeal to you. Those 2 examples I talk about are a combination of technology that is in our neighborhood and were done through a process of developments not unlike what we are used to here in our little place of the computing world. As much as you would like to present it that way, this isn't just a throw in examples on my part. If not having immediately the correct coding languages or the same apis is this unpassable barrier then I guess this will remain a testament to what can't be done here. It didn't cost you anything beyond a little bit of interest.

Thanks for the good wishes as I do wish it will lead to something, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered and this wouldn't have grown in me for quite some time. "Actually having to do anything" is the reason I wrote this pre-proposal seeing as I could have just continued to be a user and a consumer. If being serious means I have to figure out at this point the economy of the situation and the amount of work required then I guess this isn't your idea of serious. If this isn't economical from your point of view and that's the end of it then so be it. I have no intention whatsoever in keeping you from making a living.

@kas1e

Hey man, to tell you what needs to be done I have to pay you, right? and that will get you to do everything I wish? then I guess i completely missed my mark - making a lot of money and then using it to make you do as I please.

Well you know, at least this isn't a browser when you port something you need to continue to support it for it to be of any use. This is something with a beginning, a middle and an end. Then, if it materializes it might provide a great example that it can be done (not to mention the tools which might get developed as a result). No value in that, eh? because people who develop don't want something concrete that proves it is a possibility...

What can I say? I have other things I need to do before learning code. In the meantime I thought I could do this. At the end of this suggestion lies a man with coding skills I do not posses. At this point I'm already used to stating the obvious.

@wawa

If you take all the guys who talk and talk and talk, the only thing that sets them apart from you is that they simply talk for themselves. Good or bad, that's for others to decide. Just like what I talk about here. At least I can say this is my proposal and my way of presenting it myself. This isn't on anybody else and I'm not complaining and making my objective to prevent others of other platforms from pushing something forward. Whatever happens, happens. I guess you will be there if it doesn't.

Last edited by Srtest on 25-Jan-2018 at 02:52 AM.
Last edited by Srtest on 24-Jan-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Britelite 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 14:26:48
#31 ]

@Srtest

I'll just leave you with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkGMY63FF3Q

Remember, talk is cheap. Have a good one.

Srtest 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 14:35:25
#32 ]

@Britelite

Seeing as the only tangible thing for you might be an elaborate portfolio kind of suggestion where everything fits into place, I would say that whole concept of idea into a creation into whatever isn't so different from throwing a dart and hitting a jackpot and me as the one whose sole purpose is making sure that dart's trajectory is predetermined. Don't worry, I will come up with something.

Last edited by Srtest on 24-Jan-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Srtest 
Posted on 24-Jan-2018 15:29:22
#33 ]

@kas1e

That might be unfair to bring it here but I find it relevant: you know where I'm writing this from? FF on the Linux side of the X1k. You know why? not because of the browser situation or because Linux is more stable. It's not always more stable and I actully have a leak which sometimes crashes the session. It's not because it's easier - it's not. FF on Linux for us is pretty bad. The reason I'm writing from Linux is because I have other stuff I'm currently doing here which I don't do on the Amiga side, and when something crashes it is easier to recover this session and get back whatever was lost because of an add-on FF has.

Both of these are the result of stand alone projects which make this environment better than it would if those didn't exist. One is another app and the other is simply a user's add-on for FF that makes a difference for me. That's my goal with this here, only from another perspective of bringing something to this platform. Those app and add-on are 2 very clear and defined targets just like a certain game. Some code, some strive to make those targets possible and are motivated from the thought of having them available to us. If you think of our place as also a playground, that might provide a reason to stay on it and not move elsewhere.

Last edited by Srtest on 24-Jan-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Srtest 
Posted on 26-Jan-2018 14:11:25
#34 ]

@thread

A summary about what was expressed by me and the genuine concerns which managed to survive the general negativity:

1. The examples I talked about which are cases that translate to our world - an independent project based on something which is quite far from being the latest and greatest and an old school advernture game by one of the old masters of the genre, are both commercial. This is first and foremost a certain barrier to cross that I see no one really hanged on and instead chose something else which in the right context of funding and support isn't a main issue like this one. How does a commercial title from the pc world can be ported today if not backed by a major company or is adapted to open source? that is still a major question and the abailability of answers to that question will signify the ability to bring some exciting stuff here in the future. It will also better tie together Amiga and Amiga-1s technological advances (especially in the gfx department) and programs/games/general uses which take advantage of those, instead of it being about a technology which awaits implementations, asking for support because of "Amiga".

2. The need to present a clear case of availability of tools and a way to implement said titles or something that resembles them. I will stress here again that back in the day you had an engine and various version of that game on Amiga, Atari, FM-TOWNS, etc etc. It didn't have to look or sound the same as long as the same basic gameplay was there. A developer from those days might still aspire to do something meaningful in a way which isn't limited to having a commercial product on a single playground. Still, I get it that a better translation of my idea expressed in this port - into practical tools is needed. Of course, no matter how clearer the picture gets it's clear some tools won't be available as they're simply available outside of Amigaland. That is also a fact and that is also a question if that means the end of any similar objective or wishful thinking.

3. Infrastructure work. The idea that something needs to be implemented in Amigaland before any port is a considered. From all I witnessed through the years this happens also in a reverse order when the target drives the infrastructure work because people want it to materialize and I would say that in most cases it is even bettter this way because resources aren't spent on advances which are just there and don't mean anything.

4. A body of work has been done just not in a way you acknowledge. You talk about this as a community? then there are non-commercial, non-official ways for a community to operate and communicate, like the gathering of info and researching the possibility of establishing sustainbable relationship with the right people/entities. The question lies in the ability to translate this body of work in a way that will encourage you to put trust in that effort or even in it being an effort.

5. The philosophical view that a single project or tool can enrich Amigaland. No one would have thought add-ons for a browser could do that and yet they did and that community of add-on makers and users are both a community and the path a single little add-on could light and which was lighted by a single member of that community.

6. Conditions for porting:

A. Getting a team behind this based on volunteering work as a FIRST STAGE PREPARATION. This is about the theoretical stage and the work of defining technical possilbilites based on what's avaialable to us.

B. Approaching based on a clear case of finding practical ways to overcome obstacles. I can't see a way to rely on the original author to come up with this side of the equation or even be bothered by it. It should be simplified for him and not be based on a theoretical non-rational connection to such a project.

C. Finding and binding any economical condition to building a technical foundation and translating essets either by our side or the author side in a way that will make this work. This can't be a prefect situation like being contracted to or employed by a company. It needs a model that fits, where X in most cases means Y and be based on a working model of implementing and getting rewarded.

D. Coming up with a way for a commercial product/port to work while it is obvious this can't operate on the same level as a product which comes out under known market conditions. If the only condition of either side is an assessment of markets then I guess the objective is a non-sustainable one as far as the terms of those who are involved in an agreement. This should be made clear that there is an idealistic element and that this is more about the potential and the ability to appeal based on the realization of that potential.

E. Establishing the objective as a stand alone project. Any work on an underlying layer should be based strickly on what the project needs to get to a finishing line. This means that it shouldn't require maintenace (because that will exceed the goal) and it shouldn't be viewed as a catalyst for develpment of tools (only as a project's surplus value or its by-prodcut).

F. Defining a clear mode of work. This comes following the suggestion that all non-coding users and contributers need to have a clear and defined mechanism to be estimated by all contributing members. All I can say to this is that what I've been following and researching is something which is taken for granted. I have no issues with that, seeing as that was the basis for this proposal and for checking possibilites.

For me as an active user I can see what needs to be done in certain situations. Some of it can be defined like being responsible for communication between different parties (whether someone currently views that as work it still needs to be done). Bridging Amiga with the outside world is not a simple task. Other steps and neccasities, in order of being defined must first be viewed as such. If a joint effort transitions into direct, almost algorithem-like level of a relationship between contributers then the mode of work will be reevaluated and at least for me my point of entry, efficiency and assitance will need to be calculated. I also have "real-world" obligations just like everyone else.

Last edited by Srtest on 26-Jan-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Last edited by Srtest on 26-Jan-2018 at 02:12 PM.

A1200 
Posted on 26-Jan-2018 20:12:04
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

TL:DR

Cheese 
Posted on 26-Jan-2018 21:08:59
#36 ]

@Srtest

"Delving into the past can be a dangerous exercise." -hyperionmp

"I've been a supporter of "REACTION" GUI because is an Amiga OS thing." -Snuffy

"I personally prefer a vision of do'ers and makers rather than

ggw 
Posted on 27-Jan-2018 2:56:36
#37 ]

@Srtest

I have read all of your posting.
Could you elaborate/expand on 6 F?

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

resle 
Posted on 27-Jan-2018 8:20:50
#38 ]
Cult Member

@Srtest

Quote:

Srtest wrote:
@fishy_fis

Quote:
These are the very things Amiga and/or amiga-oid developers have been doing for the last decade or more. Porting libraries and dependencies for assorted open source software and then porting software that uses the ported dependencies.

Well of course they do. On that basis I wrote this piece thinking about a way a user can contribute to this effort. The way you are trying to spin this just shows me what you are all about so you can simply kiss my ass."

We seem to live in a time where people just can't be straightforward anymore.
But sometimes it's really necessary to go back to the old school, so let me say it for you all:

Srtest, you are a fucking retard of the worst kind: the kind who speaks with close-to-zero knowledge of he's even talking about. Now you can go learn the very basics of software architectures, or perhaps you can go teach an oncologist a new way to treat tumors based on some rambling you did over breakfast.

Choose your path.

Last edited by resle on 27-Jan-2018 at 08:22 AM.

kas1e 
Posted on 27-Jan-2018 9:44:09
#39 ]
Elite Member

@resle

:)
Imho Strest just make good laugh, because no one will write all of this for real. Probably it can be franko, or jimbo or who else there was with such big posts

wawa 
Posted on 27-Jan-2018 10:44:21
#40 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:
franko

dont compare this with franko. franko was pretty smart, heck even entertaing, in his posting. obviously his agenda was to wind up people, but mostly the kind that we have to do in here. and he never wrote contentless walls of hollow text afair.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle