Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 154 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 blmara:  25 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 36 mins ago
 DWolfman:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 19 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  6 hrs 5 mins ago
 Beajar:  6 hrs 24 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  A user's approach to porting
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
A1200 
Re: A user's approach to porting
Posted on 27-Jan-2018 12:47:52
#41 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

If only you did the same length of typing into an IDE - there would be a modern web browser for OS4.1!

You can colour it all you like - the fact of the matter is you can't be bothered to learn code. You are either too lazy or dim but either way pushing others to do your will whilst you take half the credit isn't going to wash with anyone here who can see right through you.

Profile     Report this post  
broadblues 
Posted on 27-Jan-2018 13:24:15
#42 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@A1200 and @thread

I haven't read more than a few lines of what SRTest has written, it really is a bit TL;DR; but it seams he would like to help out on a project management level, but perhaps doesn't really understand what that might really require from the develeoper perspective.

Rather than go all "psycho developer" with accusations of laziness, and worse, perhaps we could try the following options:

1. TL;DR; move on to another thread
2. Explain what would really be needed, and how it might likely vary extremely from project to project.
3. Say hey cool I might be interested, tell me a little more,
4. Say hey cool good luck, but I'm busy...

Project management input can be very helpful, AWeb benefited greatly from Henrik's project management input, though he was a coder, and created some very nice (AWeb freindly) front ends to bugzilla etc rather than working on AWeb directly. But he really did understand the requirements...

@ SrTest

You are way to verbose, few of us have the time to read that much on forum, you don't have to be twitter brief but try to think of more conversation than an exchange of easays!

On the plus side you've formatted your posts and used paragraphing but the posts and paragpahs are still way too long!

Apologies if the above is condescending but it really does improve communication, and also help to carify thoughts...

@thread again

TBH I'm more interested in writing original software for AmigaOS, and only port when I really need something so I'm taking options 1 / 4 for the moment.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Jan-2018 14:07:42
#43 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

You think someone who can type a number of characters in an order that resembles a complex sentence must have management abillities? We could have good luck with some Internet bot instead :)

Kronos 
Posted on 27-Jan-2018 14:49:02
#44 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Yeah, sounds more like something Fleecy may have written.......

broadblues 
Posted on 27-Jan-2018 14:58:42
#45 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@wawa

No, I think crucifying him for even expressing some ideas along those lines was both unkind and unrequired.

Last edited by broadblues on 27-Jan-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Srtest 
Posted on 27-Jan-2018 17:56:00
#46 ]

@ggw

Certainly.

Seeing as this would be a step by step operation of getting a project like this done via community members who take a more active role, either for the examples I suggested which I feel a I have connection to and already entangled myself with, or something else entirely, getting to a place I can sketch with a high level of probablity a certain contribution, is getting ahead of myself. Likewise, at a certain point having someone to communicate through when one party is much more interested in this than the other party (original author), can really provide an important function. If at a previous or later date the community or the members involved in such a project view this whole function as getting in the way of achieving the goals then it can even be nullified. Then of course someone like me can return to this position of writing, viewing and being just another user. Just like the title means - a user's perspective. That's not very long, isn't it? I mean some people here keep reffering to this function as "project manager" when a project manager is something that is always there whether you need him or not. Because that's a function of a certain company. This is supposed to be different. If the majority of contributers don't see researching at an info level a contribution then it won't be. It isn't predefined because we are not an offical business firm.

@resle

What is an old school nerd? a blow torch welder?

You seem to be offended by the fact I do not know some stuff about programming. If you have taken a test and asked the programmers here what would have been the next step in technology probably all would have failed to get the current situation right. Desptie having a legit background in software and hardware architiecture. How can I claim something like that? just by talking to some folks here about the consumer world of computing and entertainment and what drives that world. An outsider might question the expectency of your knowledge and if there's any chance that what you know at point A won't matter at point B. Judging by the status of Amigaland I see this doesn't bother a lot of people.

@kas1e

First at least I'm entertaining to you. That might inspire you in the work you dedicate to Amiga or at least make it a bit lighter. Seeing as your previous choice of a browser turned out to be a dead end because we neither had the resources or the manpower to maintain it, every little bit of help might get you to better evaluate the next needed step. You seem to need it.

@A1200
Quote:
anyone here who can see right through you.

Congratulations. Now all that remains is for you to see something else between the point you start to observe me and where your vision ends. Otherwise you might need to reinvent me...

@broadblues

If it's too long, then nobody should feel forced to read it. It was titled a user's perspective for a reason. If I was one of you then I guess this whole thing would have been different and I would be pinpointing exactly what needs to be done and how to do it. Those who are bothered by my line of thinking seem to really need it so I hope this person or group will come along and do much better.

@Kronos

I have read a lot of what Fleecy Moss had written and the fact that it were words and nothing else dissapointed me greatly. I still think the AmigaDE and Amiga Anywhere were really smart and visionary ideas which didn't have the right backing. I have spent quite a lot of resources, including recently on an A1-X1k that you and your little club can continue to exist while the current situation unfolds and fewer and fewer Amigans remain, which I guess was the tipping point from the start to get this closed club going.

@all who attacked me

I get it that you like your closed surroundings of bitter men who try to convince newcomers to go get a pc machine because Amiga-1 sucks. I was here a couple of years ago when you said the very same thing about the X1k and obviously it was you who couldn't see this materialize to at least something which would feel like Amiga was still alive and luckily I'm too much of an Amigan to have let something like that hate deter me. Judging by your little cheerleader Wawa who for all the time that I've been here never contributed one positive thing either via code or a suggestion, I can see why you would want the current situation to continue so you can have your place until either it ceases to exist or a new saviour will come and aid you, a group of intelligent and knowledgble active members of the Amiga community.

Last edited by Srtest on 27-Jan-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 27-Jan-2018 18:24:58
#47 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

Quote:

I still think the AmigaDE and Amiga Anywhere were really smart and visionary ideas which didn't have the right backing.

Suremaybewhatever...

Wasn't AInc's idea to start with (DE/AA is just a renamed TAO Elate), was never supposed to really go anywhere as the whole thing was just an failed attempt to boost Amino's value in what would have been a small scale IPO scam if things had gone according to plan.

Srtest 
Posted on 28-Jan-2018 2:38:29
#48 ]

@Kronos

I don't know all the specifics as I wasn't here where that whole thing transpired. I view this from looking at the big pic of that time - Amiga even at its height wasn't mainstream so by that time it was already a fringe architecture and a society.

When that group looked around they had 2 choices which of course could also coincide if given enough resources and a well thought direction:
1. Lets try to keep the Amiga approach alive in some way in the mainstream. I remember that at the beginning Java wasn't very popular and in fact was viewed as a lackluster technology with many potential security holes and issues with implementations. Even evilcorp sought the opportunity and tried their luck with their failed virtual machine (like they always do) and by applying their usual monopolistic methods.
2. Lets try to revive the platform itself.

They failed at both fronts and if even a single front was somewhat successful the situation would have been much better today. Today Java is everywhere because at that crucial time it got backing by forces which viewed it as something that could enable them in developments and market implemetations. The same logic applies to OpenGL, which was another protocol that was out there for the open source nerds (or heading into non evilcorp protocol abyss) until bigger forces decided to adopt it.

Now, if Amiga was actually anywhere... not like we know but by creating this universal language-api combo, we would have at least a certain programming level of open communications with the outside world. If Amiga would have been successfully packaged into a sort of environment or a dedicated "player", it would have been some sort of ScummVM only more sophisticated because the os itself would be translated into a sort of engine or engines which you could put into different more known vehicles (like for example - a video streamer) and be familiar with it and not start from nothing all the time - also in the aspect of getting outsiders to recognize it. They just didn't have the right backing in every facet of trying to launch something which was a tool, a service and sort of a continuously developed carrier, not unlike the way both Java and Linux are pushed. They were in over their heads which is unfortunate because a lot of great ideas are kinda like that. My friend and neighbor joked on his Facebook page that pretty soon they will have Amiga emulation on smart watches. Well, maybe they could have had some type of the real thing too.

Last edited by Srtest on 28-Jan-2018 at 02:42 AM.

ggw 
Posted on 28-Jan-2018 3:04:30
#49 ]

@Srtest

I can still read. I am content with your forum writing.

Thanks for expanding on 6F

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

Hypex 
Posted on 28-Jan-2018 13:42:12
#50 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
I haven't read more than a few lines of what SRTest has written, it really is a bit TL;DR; but it seams he would like to help out on a project management level, but perhaps doesn't really understand what that might really require from the develeoper perspective.

Rather than go all "psycho developer" with accusations of laziness, and worse, perhaps we could try the following options:

1. TL;DR; move on to another thread
2. Explain what would really be needed, and how it might likely vary extremely from project to project.
3. Say hey cool I might be interested, tell me a little more,
4. Say hey cool good luck, but I'm busy...

I quite agree with you here. From the start we only have to look at the subject heading of "A user's approach to porting". So it was obvious from the start where he was coming from. Though may be a "A user's questions to porting" would have been a better starting point.

Even so I enjoyed reading SrTest's posts. And I quite agree the posts are too long! My essay posting abiities are being challenged here.

I am reminded of a post I read, before the popular time of Android, when people did Linux hacking on routers. Someone had some router, with a view to flashing it with some 3rd party firmware. He was just a user, as was obvious from the post, asking about support. A simple question. But what he got back was developers abuse. It really was uncalled for. And it really came down to a yes/no answer. All they needed to do was say no, it wasn't supoorted and a brief explaination as to why. As smart as these guys were, they were too stupid for such a simple task. Now here, things here aren't as bad (I hope, again, TL;DR), which is good. But they are long.

By happenstance today, I found an email where I was asking the same thing about a router, that might have been on a different forum. I got a polite repsponse with a little humour. Not fully supported but I can try if I don't mind loosing wireless support.

Now back to that approach. Mr. SrTest can certainly type. Can that be put to good use? Are there any implications for SrTest to be a Sir Tester?

That's all for now.

Last edited by Hypex on 29-Jan-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Last edited by Hypex on 28-Jan-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle