Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 137 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hypex

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  12 secs ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 56 mins ago
 Hammer:  5 hrs 46 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 24 mins ago
 billt:  6 hrs 32 mins ago
 amigang:  6 hrs 43 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 45 mins ago
 agami:  7 hrs 9 mins ago
 matthey:  7 hrs 15 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  PPC FPGA
Register To Post

PosterThread
g01df1sh 
PPC FPGA
Posted on 13-Feb-2018 14:11:06
#1 ]

With Phase 5 not looking likely. I was wondering how hard it would be for you cleaver FPGA people out there to make a FPGA PPC accelerator. I'm guessing very hard.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

Profile     Report this post  
Deniil715 
Re: PPC FPGA
Posted on 13-Feb-2018 14:40:57
#2 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

The real question is: Why??
There are PPC CPUs that are very fast, why HW-emulate??

The reason there are 68k in FPGA is because there are no fast 68k CPUs, but fast FPGAs.

The best way to make a new Classic PPC accelerator would be to use a SoC of some kind. Like the one in Tabor or Sam.

AdvancedFollower 
Posted on 13-Feb-2018 14:49:20
#3 ]

I'd second that guess. Apparently, a 604 PPC processor has about 3.6 million transistors, the G5 58 million and a 68030 has about 273,000, so there's a massive difference in recreating something from the 68k family vs PPC, at least ten times the complexity. I think boards like the MiST and Vampire already utilize most of their FPGA chip for their recreations of vintage 68k systems (though they re-create more than only the CPU core).

I'd say software JIT emulation is a much better method, if for some reason you can't use a modern, existing PPC processor that's still in production.

Last edited by AdvancedFollower on 13-Feb-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Last edited by AdvancedFollower on 13-Feb-2018 at 02:49 PM.

g01df1sh 
Posted on 13-Feb-2018 15:10:08
#4 ]

@AdvancedFollower

So we have next to no chance of seeing new PPC cards for Classic Amigas

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

simplex 
Posted on 13-Feb-2018 16:20:33
#5 ]
Cult Member

@g01df1sh

I'll put aside the technical issues that others are explaining and point out something else:

The real problem is that Amiga is living in an abandoned market. The choices are basically between Freescale's/NXP's "underpowered" processors designed primarily for the embedded market, though from what I'm told PPC is gradually dying even there, and IBM's "overpowered" processors that no one can afford.

Each member of the AIM alliance separately made a conscious choice to abandon the desktop market. Apple's choice was made with much fanfare, but it was precipitated by Motorola/Freescale's earlier and quieter choice to focus increasingly on the embedded market, while IBM never really took their eyes off the server, supercomputer, and AI market. IBM dallied with the Cell processor idea briefly, like all large companies, eventually stuck with their golden goose.

For Apple this panned out, but for Freescale and IBM this seems to have been a dumb, dumb mistake: ARM has so completely overwhelmed the embedded market that even Freescale/NXP is abandoning PPC, whereas Intel and AMD have leveraged their economies of scale have into significant inroads into IBM's preferred markets.

This may sum it up best: An embedded engineer I spoke to about this last fall said that unlike ARM, PPC's makers failed to listen to their customers, and that's why PPC is vanishing. Whether he's right is another story, but from my admittedly lay vantage point, even Arduino seems to have a brighter future than PPC in the embedded market, if only because it seems to attract more attention. (This would be a good place for someone like Beans to step in & confirm or correct.)

The funny thing is that 10 years ago it really looked as if PPC had found new life: all the major video game consoles had moved to that platform in one way or another.

A healthy company like Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony can perform a whiplash switch from one architecture to another because they designed well from the get-go: so, Playstation went from Cell to AMD's Jaguar; XBox went from some PowerPC to Jaguar; and Nintendo went from PowerPC in the Wii's to ARM in the Switch.

Amiga, alas, hasn't been managed by a healthy company for about 3 decades.

utri007 
Posted on 13-Feb-2018 18:17:33
#6 ]

@simplex

There is a new PPC accelerator on the way. It is tied to Sonnet PPC Project.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76633

bison 
Posted on 13-Feb-2018 18:44:45
#7 ]
Elite Member

@simplex

A very good summary, except the last line. Amiga has never been managed by a healthy company. Even when Commodore was making money they were doing stupid things.

wawa 
Posted on 13-Feb-2018 19:14:35
#8 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Quote:
So we have next to no chance of seeing new PPC cards for Classic Amigas

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76633&page=87

simplex 
Posted on 13-Feb-2018 19:22:55
#9 ]
Cult Member

@bison

Quote:
A very good summary, except the last line. ...Even when Commodore was making money they were doing stupid things.

Point well taken (sitting on the OCS, "Amiga Jr."), but they were at least making money, which was more the point..

OneTimer1 
Posted on 13-Feb-2018 19:32:22
#10 ]
Cult Member

@g01df1sh

Quote:

g01df1sh wrote:
With Phase 5 not looking likely. I was wondering how hard it would be for you cleaver FPGA people out there to make a FPGA PPC accelerator.

If there would have been a 68060 with 400MHz for less than 50$, no one would ever ask for a Vampire4

There are a lot of cheap PPC CPUs around, that could beat most FPGA implementations of the PPC ISA in price and speed.

For example here:
https://www.men.de/products/discontinued-products/ek6n/
https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/power-architecture-processors/mpc5xxx-55xx-32-bit-mcus/mobilegt-51xx-52xx/evaluation-board-for-the-mpc5200b-processor:Lite5200B
http://www.hitex.co.uk/hardware/boards-modules/embedded-modules-by-processor/

Last edited by OneTimer1 on 13-Feb-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Feb-2018 13:12:07
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

Quote:
There are PPC CPUs that are very fast, why HW-emulate??

They tend to be considered very expensive by contrast.

Quote:
The best way to make a new Classic PPC accelerator would be to use a SoC of some kind. Like the one in Tabor or Sam.

The problem with this, as demonstrated in those machines, is that they aren't exactly compatible with a 603e or whatever was used. Someone thinks, wow my new Classic PowerPCX accelerator, 800 Mhz (or whatever), this whips. Loads up Heretic. Boom! Crash! What the hell! This is a real Amiga!!

So my point is, that it needs to be like a G3 or G4 even or forget it. Embedded stuff won't cut it. It will crap it.

Last edited by Hypex on 15-Feb-2018 at 01:34 PM.

utri007 
Posted on 14-Feb-2018 19:35:44
#12 ]

@Hypex

Amiga, WarpOS and 500mhz PPC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUics1KTwsE

bennymee 
Posted on 14-Feb-2018 19:53:17
#13 ]
Cult Member

@g01df1sh

Well if you put the VDHL PPC code in the Vampire we would have the best of both worlds :)

Offcourse this is hypothetical ;)

P10xx cpu's are cheaper then a FPGA, so why is the next question.

Last edited by bennymee on 14-Feb-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Last edited by bennymee on 14-Feb-2018 at 07:53 PM.

bennymee 
Posted on 14-Feb-2018 20:07:15
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Why not a soc, they are cheap, use less power, use more modern RAM memory and are available.

Yes they are missing instructions, but Hyperion is working on it as we can read on a lot of places. Besides that, benchmarks of the Tabor show that it can be a lot faster then the Sam460ex soc and if emulation kicks in, it's 2/3 of that. But as a replacement for the Blizzard or CyberstormPPC's every soc is a lot faster :)

Last edited by bennymee on 14-Feb-2018 at 08:07 PM.

billt 
Posted on 14-Feb-2018 22:33:02
#15 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

There uaed to be something called openzcore for an opensorced ppc softcore. I cant find it now, perhaps with more searching it will show up, but I dont recall what ppc it tried to implement.

It will of course be far slower than a "real" ppc chip due to fpga overhead, but could be functional. Im not sure if it could match even csppc or sam4x0 speeds.

Found the softcore code in a yahoo groups file downloads page, uploaded to GitHub at
https://github.com/amigabill/openzcore

Last edited by billt on 16-Feb-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Last edited by billt on 16-Feb-2018 at 03:17 AM.
Last edited by billt on 14-Feb-2018 at 10:46 PM.

bison 
Posted on 14-Feb-2018 23:04:50
#16 ]
Elite Member

@utri007

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUics1KTwsE

1:26-1:30 is interesting -- I didn't think sloping floors were possible with static BSP trees. I played a lot of Hexen, but I don't remember this. I may have been too busy running for my life to notice the floors...

Hypex 
Posted on 15-Feb-2018 13:49:33
#17 ]
Elite Member

@bennymee

Because if it is a Book E, it will be a lot less compatible. They need a Book S. User instructions are easy enough to work around if they can be trapped and worked around. But supervisor instrutions are more tricky.

The PPC kernel emulation API layers we have, AFAIK, don't account for incompatibilities with instructions. If they did it wouldn't matter as much.

I've seen Hereric run on a 440EP and soon crash. Fine on my G3. Embedded vs. desktop. Doesn't need AltiVec or anything. But lacking an FPU makes it worse. It would need a lot of emulation layers to work. Okay maybe just three. Soft FPU, user and super emulation.

Rob 
Posted on 15-Feb-2018 17:49:33
#18 ]
Elite Member

@bennymee

Quote:
P10xx cpu's are cheaper then a FPGA, so why is the next question

Tabor only uses the P1022 because the low end T series SOCs weren't available during the design phase. If you were building a new board today the T1014 or one of the dual core variant are what you'd want to use. They have the same E5500 core as the X5000 so no need for trapping FPU instructions.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle