Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 139 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Troels:  44 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr ago
 Rob:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Billy Graham's Thanksgiving / Funeral Service
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigD 
Billy Graham's Thanksgiving / Funeral Service
Posted on 2-Mar-2018 17:00:28
#1 ]
Elite Member

The live stream for Billy Graham's thanksgiving / funeral service is now live. I'm sure we can all agree he was an inspiring man who brought hope in the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ to a lot of people across the world. He took the great commission to spread the good news seriously and will be sorely missed in a world that is now accelerating towards post-truth world views without many guiding lights to show us the way or give us hope.

Here's the link:

https://memorial.billygraham.org/live-stream-2/

Last edited by BigD on 02-Mar-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
jorit2 
Re: Billy Graham's Thanksgiving / Funeral Service
Posted on 2-Mar-2018 18:35:06
#2 ]

@BigD

Quote:

I'm sure we can all agree ...

Guess again ...

Sorry BigD ... but I will till the end of my days fight this kind of crap ... which I honestly think is one of the biggest problems this world faces.

Evert

BigD 
Posted on 2-Mar-2018 21:01:18
#3 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

Quote:
fight this kind of crap

The delusion of the 'enlightened' ones You are living in a society (presumably you live in the UK or the USA) that has benefited from Christian influence and the freedoms, justice and values that have flowed from the Bible and those that follow its teachings and yet you reject Jesus and reject everything good about his followers! History does not reflect your prejudicial synopsis of the worthlessness of a faith in Jesus.

Billy Graham was a example of a forthright but measured preacher who made it his life's work to put others first and to tell them the good news just as Jesus commands all Christian to do. His wasn't preaching to non-Christians for his own betterment or selfish agenda but because he believed it was a message worth sharing and that it would do the world a great disservice if it was JUST a personal faith to wheel out on a Sunday just to go through the motions!

I don't recall Christians dishing about abuse following George Michael's death despite his promotion and revelment in a promiscious and anti-Christian 'lifestyle'. I guess it shows the difference between Christian values and aggressive secular ones. I know what sort of society I want my children to grow up in; one that actually acknowledges its Christian heritage and realises that without it we are all rudderless on the way to cultural oblivion! May God raise up more Billy Graham's to bring the UK and other faltering western nations back from the brink.

Last edited by BigD on 02-Mar-2018 at 09:03 PM.

jorit2 
Posted on 2-Mar-2018 21:32:41
#4 ]

@BigD

Quote:

The delusion of the 'enlightened' ones

Pot/kettle/black ?

Quote:

presumably you live in the UK or the USA

I live in Belgium

But I lived in the US for a couple o' years.
I actually went to see Billy at one of his ... gatherings, I guess that's a correct term, in Cincinnati, OH, basically out of curiosity .... and I wanted to understand my environment. Understanding their religion was a part of it I guess.

Quote:

I don't recall Christians dishing about abuse following George Michael's death despite his promotion and revelment in a promiscious and anti-Christian 'lifestyle'. ....

As if a Christian life-style is the Gold-standard ...

Quote:

I know what sort of society I want my children to grow up in; one that actually acknowledges its Christian heritage and realises that without it we are all rudderless on the way to cultural oblivion!

I know what sort of society I want my children to grow up in. I guess you know where I'm going here ...

Evert

Nimrod 
Posted on 2-Mar-2018 21:33:12
#5 ]

@BigD

Quote:
I don't recall Christians dishing about abuse following George Michael's death despite his promotion and revelment in a promiscious and anti-Christian 'lifestyle'
Don't you, well I most certainly do. In fact the tone of your comment is also a not very subtle insult directed at a person for no better reason than that he didn't kowtow to your vile prejudices.
Billy Graham was just another "prosperity gospel" christ-stain who made his choice of gods to worship, and that particular god was "mammon"

You say that we reject everything that is good about the followers of your vile cult of death, but I for one cannot find anything "good" in the history of Christianity.

BigD 
Posted on 3-Mar-2018 10:39:22
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Quote:
In fact the tone of your comment is also a not very subtle insult directed at a person for no better reason than that he didn't kowtow to your vile prejudices.

So let's get this right a good upstanding and Godly man dies and you'd rather hurl insults, blaspheme against God and pay lip service to so called 'role models' like David Bowie and George Michael than pay respect to him? Your moral compass is so askew I guess I wouldn't expect you to be able to discern positive Christian influence from damaging secular influence and morally bankrupt self serving celebrities

I guess if unbelievers persecuted and rejected Jesus then you were always going to despise his good and faithful followers like Billy Graham. Sad but true.

There was a programme on ITV last night where Piers Morgan interviewed Bruce Jenner (yes, I purposely typed Bruce not his pseudo chosen name Caitlyn). In the programme, the pro-transgender brigade had no problem spinning their ridiculous agenda by suggesting that Bruce must have 'struggled' playing the straight man on 'Keeping up with the Kardashians' and that since divorcing his wife he no longer has the 'distractions' of family life! How twisted is that? A man walks out on his family, breaks his wedding vows, has children and then refuses to be a father figure to them and is celebrated in our culture because he was true to himself! A sick and twisted world view that denies the moral bankruptcy of his decisions. These are the people we give air time to rather than screen Billy Graham's thanksgiving service Thank God for the internet so that mainstream media is becoming less and less important.

jorit2 
Posted on 3-Mar-2018 13:17:37
#7 ]

@BigD

Quote:
So let's get this right a good upstanding and Godly man dies and you'd rather hurl insults, blaspheme against God and pay lip service to so called 'role models' like David Bowie and George Michael than pay respect to him?

Of course I would, especially David Bowie

He's taught me more about life than Billy G ever would or could with his distorted view on life and narrow-minded view of the Bible. The difference would maybe be that I don't consider David Bowie to be a role model. I don't need role models.

Quote:
Your moral compass is so askew I guess I wouldn't expect you to be able to discern positive Christian influence from damaging secular influence and morally bankrupt self serving celebrities

And please stop this utter crap about moral compass and the so-called positive Christian influence and damaging secular influence. Ah well I guess you won't stop ...

Quote:
Thank God for the internet so that mainstream media is becoming less and less important.

Thank someone for the Internet indeed. It allows me to find some interesting philosophical meanderings like ...

I want to fuck you like an animal
I want to feel you from the inside
I want to fuck you like an animal
My whole existence is flawed
You get me closer to god

Evert

edit: fix typo

Last edited by jorit2 on 03-Mar-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 03-Mar-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 03-Mar-2018 at 03:17 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 3-Mar-2018 20:07:25
#8 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

Quote:
And please stop this utter crap about moral compass and the so-called positive Christian influence and damaging secular influence. Ah well I guess you won't stop ...

This was a thread I started who are you to tell me to stop talking about the lack of a moral compass of western society? Start your own thread and talk about how great modern promiscuity, greed and loose morals in society is if you want but if you don't want to talk about Billy Graham and Christianity that you'd better stop reading this thread!

jorit2 
Posted on 3-Mar-2018 20:12:04
#9 ]

@BigD

Quote:
This was a thread I started who are you to tell me to stop talking about the lack of a moral compass of western society? Start your own thread and talk about how great modern promiscuity, greed and loose morals in society is if you want but if you don't want to talk about Billy Graham and Christianity that you'd better stop reading this thread!

See my justification earlier in this thread:

"Sorry BigD ... but I will till the end of my days fight this kind of crap ... which I honestly think is one of the biggest problems this world faces."

In other words, you don't seriously think I would leave your looney talk unchallenged, do you ?

Why is that you Christians (fortunately I know quite a few who don't seem to think like you) seem to think that lack of faith or christian lifestyle implies promiscuity and loose moral standards ?

Why is that people like you feel the need to pollute a forum dedicated to computers with this religious bullshit. If you feel so inclined to talk about it, I bet there are better places than here.

Evert

Last edited by jorit2 on 03-Mar-2018 at 08:42 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 3-Mar-2018 20:56:55
#10 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

Quote:
Why is that people like you feel the need to pollute a forum dedicated to computers with this religious bullshit. If you feel so inclined to talk about it, I bet there are better places than here.

This is where i spend a lot of my time on the internet and I consider this my internet community. I am perfectly justified in posting this in the 'Free For All' section of AmigaWorld. This thread was posted simply to draw people's attention to Billy Graham's funeral nothing more. I get that you don't agree with the ideals and the teachings of Jesus Christ that he preached but that doesn't give you the right to attempt to stamp out the threads of other Amigans that think differently to you. Just as it wouldn't be acceptable for me to attack you for paying tribute to George Michael or David Bowie it is not acceptable for you to rant and attack the mere mention of Billy Graham just because you hold extremely prejudiced views about him.

jorit2 
Posted on 3-Mar-2018 21:10:13
#11 ]

@BigD

Quote:

This is where i spend a lot of my time on the internet and I consider this my internet community. I am perfectly justified in posting this in the 'Free For All' section of AmigaWorld. This thread was posted simply to draw people's attention to Billy Graham's funeral nothing more. I get that you don't agree with the ideals and the teachings of Jesus Christ that he preached but that doesn't give you the right to attempt to stamp out the threads of other Amigans that think differently to you. Just as it wouldn't be acceptable for me to attack you for paying tribute to George Michael or David Bowie it is not acceptable for you to rant and attack the mere mention of Billy Graham just because you hold extremely prejudiced views about him.

Oh my ...

Quote:
Just as it wouldn't be acceptable for me to attack you for paying tribute to George Michael or David Bowie

But you did ... I didn't bring him up
For the record David was a strong believer. He even made some intriguing songs where he explores his relationship to his God.

Quote:

it is not acceptable for you to rant and attack the mere mention of Billy Graham just because you hold extremely prejudiced views about him.

Wow, don't bring it up in a discussion forum then ...

Of course I reacted, upon which you immediately started with pathetic and complacent ad hominem
attacks

Prejudiced ? As said, I even went to see him. I did watch him, I did lookup who he is, what he stands for ...
Did you ever analyse the life and works of David Bowie ?
It seems like you're stuck in prejudice and ignorance about him.

Ah well ... we'll never get along.

Evert

BigD 
Posted on 3-Mar-2018 21:25:59
#12 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

Quote:
For the record David was a strong believer. He even made some intriguing songs where he explores his relationship to his God.

All we can say is that he was 'spiritual' we have very little idea what he really thought other than he thought there was a god. Whether that was Yaweh or not we're left in the dark. My guess is that the Biblical account of salvation would have been perceived by him to be one of many ways to 'God' when the Bible is very clear that the only way to God and salvation is through Jesus. Show me a quote where he says he turned to Jesus and I'll count myself informed. In the interim all we have regarding his quest of spirituality is this sort of thing:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/david-bowie-didnt-fear-death-7169844

Quote:
“He concluded there was something greater than all of us and it may be some version of what others might call God.

The 'fruit' of his performances as Ziggy Stardust was that a lot of men thought it was cool to be androgynous and hence chose not to conform to their male gender. I think we can see where that has led us as a society

Billy Graham's fruit is a lot more positive and clear to see; whole swathes of populations turning to God and personal evangelism to influential world leaders including it seems having a part to play in the salvation of President George W. Bush.

Last edited by BigD on 03-Mar-2018 at 09:30 PM.

jorit2 
Posted on 3-Mar-2018 21:34:10
#13 ]

@BigD

Naaaah let's call it quits.

I never said he believed in the same god as you seem to do.

And I really don't feel like getting stuck in the argument you allready introduced "...when the Bible is very clear that the only way to God and salvation is through Jesus.... "

You do know what I think of that little booklet that you keep bringing up as if it were authoritative for all religious thinking, (or all thinking for that matter. ) (hint: close to irrelevant)

Evert

Nimrod 
Posted on 4-Mar-2018 13:06:31
#14 ]

@BigD
Pinning the truth of your deity on to the invariability of morality is a spectacularly bad bet. You are claiming that the fact that morality does not vary over time is proof of the existence of your chosen deity despite the fact that anybody reading the bible can clearly see that morality has (like all things) *evolved* over the centuries. The bible gives instructions on keeping slaves, how to sell your daughter as a sex-slave, and how to trick a person who can legally terminate their status as a slave into becoming your permanent property with no rights whatsoever. All of that is now considered *by your own religion* to be highly immoral, as is polygamy, marriage by rape, and killing your children for being stroppy. What we no longer consider to be abominable includes eating pork and shellfish, wearing mixed fabric clothing, crop rotation or mixed crops, harvesting the grown crops in the field corners and trimming the corners of your hair and/or beard (What has your god got against tidying up corners?) The very fact that morality *HAS* evolved over time proves conclusively that the idea of absolute moral standards is a false one, and that the morality described by religions are formed by societal ethics, not vice versa.

P.S. Billy graham was an anti-Semitic racist apologist for Richard Nixon, Why should anybody mourn his passing. In dying he leaves this earth just that little bit cleaner than when he was alive.

Last edited by Nimrod on 04-Mar-2018 at 01:20 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 4-Mar-2018 19:15:00
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Good news! The thanksgiving service is now on YouTube! Link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIkEjFiUqwU

Nimrod 
Posted on 5-Mar-2018 15:23:19
#16 ]

@BigD

If they had given him an enema before he died, they could have buried him in a matchbox.
The only reason I would want to see his funeral would be to make sure the scum was dead.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Mar-2018 20:01:14
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Whatever your reasons it would be a real blessing if you watched it. I pray you will or that your stuck on a bus or train with someone who will tell you the Gospel of Jesus Christ at a time in your life when your more receptive to God.

jorit2 
Posted on 5-Mar-2018 20:16:31
#18 ]

@BigD

Quote:

@Nimrod

Whatever your reasons it would be a real blessing if you watched it. I pray you will or that your stuck on a bus or train with someone who will tell you the Gospel of Jesus Christ at a time in your life when your more receptive to God.

Well I truly hope, for the betterment of our world (I won't pray for obvious reasons) that one day you will see that all this you believed in is so far off ...

But somehow I guess the chances that'll happen are pretty slim.

What bothers me, with comments like yours, again, is how condescending it really is.

Of course, with my reply you could accuse me of being condescending myself ...

Evert

Last edited by jorit2 on 05-Mar-2018 at 08:39 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 5-Mar-2018 21:09:46
#19 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

It is not condescending to believe that you could have a moment of salvation in the future and despite yourself turn to Christ. The Apostle Paul used to kill Christians and God still managed to 'save' him and use him powerfully for His work. Never say never

jorit2 
Posted on 5-Mar-2018 21:15:56
#20 ]

@BigD

Quote:

It is not condescending to believe that you could have a moment of salvation in the future and despite yourself turn to Christ.

You know BigD, the really sad part is that you don't even get it ...
And you do it again, we're promiscuous, have loose moral .... and now you refer to the killings by Apostle Paul ? Are you frigging serious ?

edit: removed reference to study highlighting relationship and crime. too large a subject to cover here

And if only you would keep it to yourself, and didn't feel the need to ... spread your word, I wouldn't even care.

Evert

Last edited by jorit2 on 05-Mar-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 05-Mar-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Last edited by jorit2 on 05-Mar-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle