Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 123 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  4 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  7 mins ago
 clint:  19 mins ago
 kiFla:  34 mins ago
 zipper:  47 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  What you think is actually blocking the Amiga Take off?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Poll : What you think is actually blocking the Amiga Take off?
Legal actions
IP and rights situation
Amiga community divisions
Lack of dedicated software
Lack of browser-office applications
The Amiga doesn't have a strong leadership
Missing of a future vision

PosterThread
EDanaII 
Re: What you think is actually blocking the Amiga Take off?
Posted on 6-Apr-2018 17:52:53
#21 ]

What's holding the Amiga back is lack of users and a legacy that was relevant 30+ years ago...

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 6-Apr-2018 18:12:00
#22 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Take off from where? A run way? There's my answer.

It already took off. But then they removed the tarmac. It almost crashed and burned. But then it flew around in circles instead. It's been flying in circles ever since. Maybe it will have a soft landing but it's almost given up on the rescue crew.

redfox 
Posted on 6-Apr-2018 18:53:09
#23 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

IMHO, it comes down to Legal Actions and Amiga Community Divisions.

As long as we all respect each other's right to choose, then we are still a community.

Even though we may not have a common goal to bind us together, there are many fine choices available, Classic Amiga, MorphOS, AmigaOS4, several distributions of AROS, emulation, etc.

I still enjoy using my AmigaOS4 system and I have tried a few versions of AROS on my HP laptop. I also want to try MorphOS. I still have my Amiga A2000HD.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 06-Apr-2018 at 06:55 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 6-Apr-2018 20:32:56
#24 ]
Elite Member

this is an Amiga board dammit...where's the pancakes or banana option

Amiga 'takes off' every time I use AmigaOS4.1 or OS3.9 or OS3.1 or OS1.3 here in my mancave sure I would love to see multi core support one day but that ain't stopping me from using OS4.1FE U1 every day and still messin around with my classics heck we have new games/ software STILL coming out for our classics and NG miggies ...great times

Last edited by klx300r on 06-Apr-2018 at 08:34 PM.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

tonyw 
Posted on 6-Apr-2018 23:46:33
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

To sustain your metaphor, we've been blown off course and the ground has moved underneath us, so that now there is nowhere to land.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Doofus 
Posted on 7-Apr-2018 0:04:24
#26 ]

@AmigaBlitter

What ever happened to the world's greatest game playing machine? Do we want a computer that sells only 2000 units annually, is made by hand, and yet capable and comparable to it's competitor's? Lot's of luck.

I bought my first Amiga in 1988 and was still reading "Family Computing" and "Home Computing" (Where did all those folks go?) I was so desperate for new hardware I foolishly pre paid for an Alien BoXer in 1999 and got zip. Still, I'm ready to throw down $1000 for an Amiga 1222 if that be the price. I've seen enough games to keep me busy for the rest of my life. I'm impressed by what has been accomplished by a small dedicated community. Without professional video editing, office suite tools, DVD authoring and a stable web browser, though, what do we have left? The world's greatest game playing machine.

I use my old Dell PC online to watch movies at night while I sit playing Quake II on my OS 3.9 Amithlon. It screams through it. Still blows visitors away. To me it's an Amiga, but I still want new games hence a 1222. You've got to have that product out there to get that cash flow going or you're just endlessly investing.

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 7-Apr-2018 6:36:28
#27 ]
Elite Member

@thread

There's a market for lightweight operating systems but unfortunately, none of the NG Amiga OS's are up to the task. Now that Google has hired a bunch of BeOS developers for their Fuschia OS, they have the features and can leverage their ChromeOS and Android software bases to push past us.

If we had to get those features quick we could team up with Haiku and do a hosted compatibility layer on top of it like AROS has done with the Linux kernel. None of the Amiga teams can do it alone, however.

kamelito 
Posted on 7-Apr-2018 8:21:51
#28 ]
Cult Member

Back in the days all kids loved their computers, it was fun, you were gathering with friend to play, develop, create. We were passionate, we enjoyed it. Now computers are mostly a commodity used mostly to surf the Internet or others social stuff...
Instead of creating stuff we consume, so nobody really care about computers it is just an open windows to the Internet, so they just want a PC the cheapest, others who want more powerful PC for gaming. Nothing is special about the Amiga anymore, it is even worse it is lacking behind by a large margin so who care?

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 7-Apr-2018 9:10:36
#29 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

Amiga became irrelevant after the operating system was being fought over whilst ownership of the iP changed hands as companies went bust ie Gateway Amiga Inc etc. Whilst this all happened the OS became out of date with technology moving at such a rapid rate and productivity software left the Amiga behind.

Fast forward to 2018 and we find ourselves still in this state.

1. Web browser out of date.
2. Word Processing, spreadsheets and presentation software out of date. Web Browser is out of date so online solutions are not really viable.
3. Multimedia is just better on other platforms.

Just a short list, don't want to rant.

wawa 
Posted on 7-Apr-2018 10:10:26
#30 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
What you think is actually blocking the Amiga Take off?

people constantly bragging about what might be on forums.

amigang 
Posted on 7-Apr-2018 10:16:49
#31 ]
Elite Member

Firstly even at its highest point Amiga never really took off, I think the most we could claim would be about 20 to 25% of computer market back in the late 80s,

Plus I think the Amiga has always been consider the outsider and even when it did break into the professional world I think the higher up and people not in the know always thought the Amiga was an odd choice and surely there was something better out there.

I think advertising you have to say is one reason it did'nt break though, when it worked it worked, in the UK we had the Batman A500 pack that broke it to become the best home computer here but unfortunately that made more people in UK think the Amiga as just a gaming machine, not a serious computer.

In USA did break though a bit in the media market, (more to do with Newtek success at marketing the machine than commodore I feel) but there was lot more tv stations and low budget films wanting computer effects on the cheap. Amiga offered this.

I think if commodore had combined there marketing efforts and really looked at market Amiga was taking off at it should of aimed at making the amiga the best in them areas like maybe having video toaster card tech built into the higher end Amigas, and the very early video capture tech etc.

amigang 
Posted on 7-Apr-2018 10:52:51
#32 ]
Elite Member

@amigang
However if you talking about whats blocking the Amiga Take off today?

Its largely money, people point out amiga platform is missing this and that well with enough money and time these problems can all be solved, I think also to many think to win we have to beat Microsoft or Apple, I say no, if we could get the Amiga back to even just 1% of the computer market we have won, at that size we have a thriving little eco system, just look at the pi market with its most likely 0.01% of the computer world.

I think there is room in the industry for another OS, I see and hear a lot of people hate windows specially for its snooping stuff now, apple is too locked down and in it own eco system, and Linux I think largely due to being so many versions of it and not enough commercial/central focus and not advertised main stream enough under one OS version I feel is why it struggles to break though, (mobile it has thanks to Google Android, that had a central commercial focus) desktop wise it could do with having the same done again (ChromeOs/SteamOS not enough effort has been put in yet I think) but again it doing fine with how it is and if Amiga could get to the linux level that would amazing.

we just need to find more crazy investors like trevor!

-Sam- 
Posted on 7-Apr-2018 11:20:01
#33 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Interesting results! At the moment everything is practically level. Guess it's all of the above!

Biggest one - no one dedicated leader with a big pot of cash.

Signal 
Posted on 7-Apr-2018 13:44:45
#34 ]
Cult Member

Perhaps it is also related to geography.
The big box Amiga did much better in the western hemisphere and a single solution is unworkable for the community.

From personnel experience I can say that any talk of another big box is quickly deemed as being only for the rich and not acceptable to many others.

From my POV, a laptop/Pi, no matter how low cost is a waste of time and money, unless a Pi type device was integrated into a big box.

So there you have it. The common ingredient is AmigaOS (and flavors), which is why we are here, but it lacks a community of tolerant people supportive of others desires. Including me I guess.

It is up to the community.

umisef 
Posted on 7-Apr-2018 15:10:02
#35 ]

@-Sam-

Quote:

Let's say, hypothetically, such a leader (and a big pot of cash) were to appear --- what would you expect her to do?

The whole question of this thread is a massive presupposition --- for "the Amiga Take off" to be blocked by something, there would first have to be some sort of justification for the Amiga to take off.

And in 2018, that question makes about as much sense as asking "what's blocking the original VW Beetle from outselling the Toyota Corolla?". And I make this analogy as someone who has never owned any car other than Beetles (and its bigger brother, the Kombi) --- but I can't think of a single acquaintance to whom I could in good conscience recommend the Beetle.

So, ask yourself --- can you think of anyone to whom you could, honestly, recommend using Amiga (in whatever incarnation) over Windows, MacOS or Linux? Even ignoring any obstacles, what possible reason could you give?

Hypex 
Posted on 7-Apr-2018 17:24:54
#36 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

LOL. If only the Amiga world could act like the ship in Futurama and move the computer universe around itself we would be fine.

bison 
Posted on 7-Apr-2018 17:45:26
#37 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

Quote:
Interesting results! At the moment everything is practically level. Guess it's all of the above!

I noticed that too. It would probably be impossible to come up with a "solution" that even 50% of the community approves of. There's no chance of consensus.

Quote:

If someone gave Trevor a big pot of cash it might help, at least in the short term, but in general I don't think that's a solution. The original Amiga was created in a situation that was short on both money and time.

Zylesea 
Posted on 7-Apr-2018 21:54:09
#38 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

Quote:

umisef wrote:
"what's blocking the original VW Beetle from outselling the Toyota Corolla?"

The colour? Must be...

Apart from that the comparision is actually a nice one, because unlike C= VW is still around and while the original beetle long, long abanodoned, VW became #1. They proceeded their products continuosly.

arthoropod 
Posted on 8-Apr-2018 3:14:04
#39 ]

@OlafS25

Yes, and the answer is "It's dead, Jim."

So let's just enjoy the hobby. Because a dead horse is well...dead.

The alternative answer?
It needs a massive infusion of capital that only a lunatic would invest.

A modern Amiga bringing the Power9 cpu to the desktop would be cool, but as yet another X64 OS?
What would be the point?

Last edited by arthoropod on 08-Apr-2018 at 03:17 AM.
Last edited by arthoropod on 08-Apr-2018 at 03:16 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 8-Apr-2018 17:20:10
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:
The colour? Must be...

I've noticed a lot of cars, including some Corolling along, are white. White is boring. You only buy white, as an active colour choice, because it is cheaper than the other cars with real colours. Well as I see it, for practical value. I don't see any other value in white.

But the VW Beetle. Well in the 60 or 70's or when ever those talking bug films were made. White was sporty. Especially with the racing stripes. Maybe only sporty with the racing stripes.

Quote:
Apart from that the comparision is actually a nice one, because unlike C= VW is still around and while the original beetle long, long abanodoned, VW became #1. They proceeded their products continuosly.

They are and they still produce the Beetle. Okay it's not like the real thing. It's really just a model designation now that looks similar. For example, I think there's something wrong with it. IIRC, it actually has an engine under hood and is front wheel drive. That's not right. It's like comparing an Amiga with an AmigaOne. Different times, different machine; just isn't the same.

Last edited by Hypex on 08-Apr-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle