Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Maijestro:  6 mins ago
 Hypex:  7 mins ago
 fingus:  29 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  33 mins ago
 Karlos:  47 mins ago
 amigagr:  54 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  What you think is actually blocking the Amiga Take off?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Poll : What you think is actually blocking the Amiga Take off?
Legal actions
IP and rights situation
Amiga community divisions
Lack of dedicated software
Lack of browser-office applications
The Amiga doesn't have a strong leadership
Missing of a future vision

PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: What you think is actually blocking the Amiga Take off?
Posted on 8-Apr-2018 17:28:00
#41 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

Back tracking myself a bit here.

Quote:
And in 2018, that question makes about as much sense as asking "what's blocking the original VW Beetle from outselling the Toyota Corolla?"

What about comparing the modern Beetle with a Corolla? That tries to reboot a retro car but it isn't the same really. Except sales would stil be beaten by a Corolla. And they phasing the Beetle out in Australia I read.

In a similar way, we could ask, "What's blocking the original Amiga from outselling the AmigaOne?"

Actually, even though it's old and expensive on the secondhand market, it may still outsell newer AmigaOne boards.

But they are not the same. Even taking age out of it.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 8-Apr-2018 17:37:34
#42 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Actually, even though it's old and expensive on the secondhand market, it may still outsell newer AmigaOne boards.

afaik vampire sales long ago in an extremely short period of time eclipsed the 14 year total Amigaone sales Eyetech/Acube/A-eon combined.

Hence the change in what Amiga companies say is important to them or the future. heh.

Someone really needs to do a kickstarter for "classic is dead" t-shirts. (evil grin)

Seiya 
Posted on 8-Apr-2018 18:41:06
#43 ]

i vote all entries ;)

outrun1978 
Posted on 8-Apr-2018 18:50:03
#44 ]
Cult Member

@Thread

What is stopping the Amiga from taking off again....good question? People moan about lack of software yet there are loads of OS4 games and lots of productivity software out there, OS4 runs classic games really well thanks to RuninUAE. You have lots of really cool emulation packages.

Trouble is not a lot of people know about it and worse still compare everything to a PC in terms of cost and spec when the Amiga was never about that.

We are quite frankly crap at marketing and word of mouth. We have forums where people spend way too much time bitching and moaning and not willing to do stuff with the bigger picture in mind and way too many egos and people not willing to put those egos aside for the common good.

Until the bald men stop fighting over that comb expect little to change... the rest of us who are left will just get on with enjoying our machines...

AdvancedFollower 
Posted on 8-Apr-2018 19:33:06
#45 ]

@outrun1978

People don't need "loads" of software though. A robust, frequently updated web browser and an Office suite compatible with MS Office are what most people need. Those are currently the two things all "NG" Amiga systems lack. The browser is from 2013 and more and more sites are failing to work properly, and the Libre Office project seems dead.

Last edited by AdvancedFollower on 08-Apr-2018 at 07:33 PM.

outrun1978 
Posted on 8-Apr-2018 19:56:16
#46 ]
Cult Member

@AdvancedFollower

I Have no problem using Microsoft Office online on the X5000 with Odyssey.....

Then again not a lot of people are aware of the fact you can do this....

As for Libre Office......hmmmm just where oh where is it??

And as for not needing too much software, it seems you can’t please everyone as one of the main excuses for not wanting to use OS4 is the supposed lack of software... I’d say they weren’t looking hard enough or willing to pay for the software that is out there...

paolone 
Posted on 8-Apr-2018 21:38:11
#47 ]

I'm sorry to say the only realistic option is missing.

The blocking factor to Amiga take-off is the lack of a zombie apocalypse.

Sorry guys: it's a dead market, as dead as steam locomotives and super-8 movies are. Nothing will ever bring it back to life, in particular if nobody outside of this shrinking community cares about it.

Zylesea 
Posted on 8-Apr-2018 22:12:58
#48 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

Quote:

outrun1978 wrote:
I Have no problem using Microsoft Office online on the X5000 with Odyssey.....

My concerns about MSO online and google docs is that the files are cloud based. I use google docs for some things, but only for those I have no concerns to hand it over to google.

It is actually an option (good to have), but not the solution fitting for everyone and every situation. I prefer for most of my office stuff offline services.

Karlos 
Posted on 8-Apr-2018 22:19:13
#49 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

Seriously, if anyone thinks the Amiga has any chance of being mainstream they're deluding themselves. Any version of the Amiga that had the features ant mainstream platform has to have these days would be all but unrecognisable.

Why not just enjoy it for what it is? A fun 32-bit OS from the days when memory protection and SMP were a distant thought and where 95% of what you did on a computer didn't depend on you having an up to date web browser?

Sometimes it's nice to have a little retreat from the crazy.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 8-Apr-2018 22:53:44
#50 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

I know perfectly well that SMP won't make AmigaOS go main stream. but it good feature to have anyway, I think current memory protection is OK, less buggy programs can implemented by using better development tools, maybe a port of R programming language. Main stream games apps and programs are now looking at R programming language, it does look like it solves many problems with multi thread programming, that can be real problem in C/C++ programs. I think it might fit well with Amiga like systems.

I agree that going "64bit", can be done, but what do we gain, nothing?

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 08-Apr-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 08-Apr-2018 at 10:55 PM.

gonegahgah 
Posted on 9-Apr-2018 0:13:41
#51 ]

If we look at the current state of the OS market then we can consider if there is a space for anything else first and then consider if there is a place for Amiga OS.

The current state of OS's doesn't seem to represent a final state by any means.
1) Windows is bloated like crazy and by far the least efficient requiring tonnes of power.
2) iOs is locked in like crazy delivering us Apples control and vision for the user.
3) Linux is too difficult for the general user.
4) ChromeOS is great if you can live your life in a browser.

Even in this present state of the nation and with alternatives out there (Scratch OS, BeOs, Atari TOS, GeOs) none have become so vitally imperative that they cry out for emergence.

Into to this we've seen attempts - including QNX and TAOS intent - but these didn't even really make it off the shelf. I'm not too knowledgeable on QNX. Micro kernels sound very interesting. TAOS intent on the other hand I do know and it was certainly interesting but needed some particular things to be re-engineered to become a more fitting future OS. But, there are some very nice features in there that would be a shame to lose.

In the meanwhile Steam (and other stores) crept onto to our computers to become like OS interfaces removing the need for us to track where that game box was or music CD and such.

And in a further fashion things like Facebook, and other attempts like Skype, etc., have almost become OSes of interaction.

Now we have FriendUP (Unifying Platform) vying for attention as an OS to unify all OS's. That certainly is any interesting goal and will be interesting to see if it can play out. My impression is that it acts partly like a streaming service allowing you to use all software on the one machine in an integrated fashion and that the services can be local (other machines at home) or cloud based.

So the question then is what can the AmigaOS, MOS or VampireOS bring to this to somehow jump out of obscurity. Certainly its nippy and compact; though it probably grows as things are added. It starts up quick; though boot loaders seem to slow it down a bit. It does some things very nicely - no .tla to describe the type of file (as lumbers Windows), skinnable in its fashion, intelligently designed in certain ways (datatypes, inter-object communication, low latency interrupts, progress bars that mean something, smooth interaction, ...). I'm sure other people could add things that other OSes have just got wrong.

But, as under-appreciated as those things are to the non-initiated, are they enough in themselves to drive a new audience. Probably not.

Is there space for a new OS. Probably. The problems I've outlined for the OS's - and greed of course - have lead to further development of OS's such as Android, iOS, Tizen, Firefox, Sailfish. But are these all what the user wants or what the manufacturer wants?

Truly the only OSes that may proliferate will be those that the user wants in the long run. So it has to make sense to the user. That rules out Linux most likely. Developed by very skilled people with less reference to public focus groups it struggles to be friendly. Windows (and games) have driven the hardware market because it is such a beast. But it is what people are given and what they know how to use. However it failed on devices because it is such a beast. Apple only have Apple in mind so whatever is best for them is best for the User.

Amiga may point the way in some respects. As might other OSes in other respects. One day we may have an OS that is truly an OS of the people. But, we'll see...

resle 
Posted on 9-Apr-2018 1:03:04
#52 ]
Cult Member

When one asks any question about why Amiga isn't more mainstream, or why
Amiga doesn't "take off", or why Amiga here, Amiga there...

...what are you even talking about?

AmigaOS? Aros? MorphOs? One of those X-whatever ppc machines? The classics? Se fpga reimplementatiom of the classics? Maybe Just the disputed, tarnished brand name?

How can one ask any question about "Amiga" anymore?

Last edited by resle on 09-Apr-2018 at 01:54 AM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 9-Apr-2018 7:39:25
#53 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

Wow!

What results till now.

Sorry for replying late, but i had a severe Windows 10 failure and lost almost all data

OlafS25 
Posted on 9-Apr-2018 9:13:57
#54 ]
Elite Member

@arthoropod

even if there would be money (lots of) you need experienced amiga developers who are rare today and you would need a serious plan where to position AmigaOS or whatever in todays IT world. For example Macs are main system for musicians and creatives (marketing agencies and so on). It is still a niche market but it is a market. They got there by offering OS features like advanced font handling and good marketing. Amiga at its height was famous for raytracing and desktop video and as home computer for gaming. I for example do not understand when you make a custom design why you did not concentrate on desktop video. That would of course also need the special software. That "might" have been a niche. Or you try to make something for younger people but that of course would need different OS features and software. At the moment I see no concept and without concept and visions it is like a ship sailing in the fog.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 9-Apr-2018 10:52:23
#55 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

About the Amiga developers, yes, they're rare, but talented and creative

kolla 
Posted on 9-Apr-2018 12:00:38
#56 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

afaik vampire sales long ago in an extremely short period of time eclipsed the 14 year total Amigaone sales Eyetech/Acube/A-eon combined.

That was probably last spring, but who ever said the Vampires were sold with profit? AFAIK, the entire project is still at loss economically.

kolla 
Posted on 9-Apr-2018 12:03:32
#57 ]
Elite Member

@gonegahgah

Quote:

3) Linux is too difficult for the general user.

This is clearly the problem with AmigaOS too.

KimmoK 
Posted on 9-Apr-2018 14:19:50
#58 ]
Elite Member

My priority list would be:
-more stability
-more SW
-multicore
-memory protection
-64bit

@NutsAboutAmiga

"I agree that going "64bit", can be done, but what do we gain, nothing?"

I imagine 64bit would make some things far more simpler to implement. No bank switching (or similar) needed for modern data amounts and gigabytes of "Fast" and "Chip" RAMs.

For example modern web browser can easily consume 10Gb RAM with ~15 pages open simultaneously.

+If CPU ISA changes to intel/AMD one day, A64 enable modern CPU (with "Amigalike" amount of CPU registers etc), x86 limit to ancient CPU technology.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

outrun1978 
Posted on 9-Apr-2018 14:37:33
#59 ]
Cult Member

@Zylesea

Totally agree with you over the concerns of cloud based services, id sooner use MS over Google here if I am honest. But equally and speaking for OS4 we have the rather excellent Abiword for offline word processing. Cinnamon Writer is useable and reasonably portable with docx compatibility. Spreadsheet wise we have Gnumeric and Ignition which are pretty modern and transferable with other platforms so perhaps there isn’t that urgent need for Libre Office that many others feel we need....

outrun1978 
Posted on 9-Apr-2018 14:40:57
#60 ]
Cult Member

@Kolla

Trust me 5 minutes with Linux makes you appreciate how simple Amiga OS is to use, at least on the Amiga I can download multiple files at the same time or copy across multiple files into different drives all at the same time and it doesn’t really impact on the system resource too much

Multitasking isn’t Linux’s forte and what is even more annoying in Linux is the need to enter in your password for the most mundane of tasks like copy one file across one drive to another.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle