Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 95 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

AndreasM,  pixie,  vox

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 vox:  1 min ago
 AndreasM:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  4 mins ago
 outlawal2:  6 mins ago
 Hypex:  14 mins ago
 Allanon:  43 mins ago
 Birbo:  1 hr 1 min ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Help bricked my vampire v2 600
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
nikosidis 
Re: Help bricked my vampire v2 600
Posted on 18-Apr-2018 15:32:48
#21 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

The real Amiga OS is as said very old. AROS is much more mothern even in 68k. Still written in C so for slow hardware like Vampire it is from what I understood not as fast as the original AmigaOS.
If you try AROS i386 on lets say a netbook AROS is faster than any other i386 OS in most tasks.

Last edited by nikosidis on 18-Apr-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 18-Apr-2018 17:09:17
#22 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

the main problem is that Aros 68k is not booting on vampire. I think one developer is trying to fix that but has not succeeded yet. Apollo team is not directly supporting Aros, at least not financially f.e. in bounties. Yes I agree, it is a little shortsighted in my view but it is their project, not mine. There were youtube videos showing Wanderer on Vampire (if booted), perhaps not as responsive as 3.X but fast enough to be useable. Main problem is booting...

Last edited by OlafS25 on 18-Apr-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 19-Apr-2018 16:31:26
#23 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

I suppose I don't see a problem with OS3 being old. When you are speed limited age shouldn't matter as much since there is only so much you can do. I just can't look at the Amiga as a usable machine any more for practical uses. Even if they break the 100Mhz barrier and it's reported they are even breaking the 800Mhz barrier I still don't see it being used in "normal" use.

Look at OS4 which is like OS3 developed further and even that struggles in the practical side. Even though the horsepower behind it was resonable.

But both suffer from a power and software problem.

BigD 
Posted on 19-Apr-2018 16:42:37
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

The faster 68k Amigas are just excuses to play Alien Breed 3D 2 at a reasonable speed or use LightWave with nice rendering times. New software if it comes is unlikely to make the platforms 'usable' in a modern sense.

cat9921 
Posted on 19-Apr-2018 17:38:55
#25 ]

HI all

Just thought I give you all an update as to what is going on, Sorry for the silence but have had a lot of problems just lately work, and so on

OK the card is still not working I have been in touch with Majsta And he thinks I need the
MOD for it to work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbRryaa0cfQ

I am a little sad that he will not take the card off me and fix it ( which I would pay for )
but I understand that he is busy and appreciate that he is helping me out with his spare time

I am looking at sending it off to be fixed in the next week so will let you all know how it goes.
I did not thank all of those that responded to my help request so let me say a big thank you for all the help to every one that posted

nikosidis 
Posted on 19-Apr-2018 17:40:29
#26 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

I see you point there and it is for sure a good one.

The Vampire thing get more and more not interesting for me.

Last edited by nikosidis on 19-Apr-2018 at 06:10 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 20-Apr-2018 9:36:16
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

it depends what your expectations are...

software (and drivers) is the main problem for any niche system. I see no quick fix for it. What might happen (over time) regarding Vampire + standalone devices that there is a big enough market for small independent game developers and shareware authors. That would be a success already. For commercial development the platform will stay too small. And porting opensource packages (like libre office) will not happen either (besides who will do it), the hardware will not be powerful enough. The same is true even for most of the expensive hardware supported by 4.X, only the big machines might still have enough horsepower to run such software, all cheaper and smaller devices like Sam or Tabor will propably not being able to run new software in a useable manner.

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Apr-2018 14:35:44
#28 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

I think with enough horsepower a normal Amiga is quite capable of doing fancy effects and hardware accelerating some 3d effects. But in the late years now we've seen a drop back to basic 2d games. Even though 20 years ago we saw games supporting RTG cards but now this isn't the case.

Take the Gorluth game. Very basic looking game. But it's coded so that it only works on a basic Amiga hooked up to an Amiga monitor. It could easily work on RTG or in the least a double scan mode. But no, it takes over the OS. On my A4000, which currently only has RTG, the game is useless.

So, if there is to be a modern market, developers will have to do a lot better by pushing the machine to limits and supporting more than a basic A500 setup from 30 years ago. It shouldn't be an issue but it is.

kolla 
Posted on 24-Apr-2018 23:46:38
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Most RTG games were ports, few native to Amiga, anyone doing such games today would do them for more modern hardware and OSes. Much of the fun in coding games and demo demos for Amiga is in the limitations and capabilities of the original hardware.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle