Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 69 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Marcian:  21 mins ago
 Karlos:  30 mins ago
 OlafS25:  47 mins ago
 Cammy:  59 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 SOFISTISOFTWARE:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Are We So Different
Register To Post

PosterThread
Anonymous 
Are We So Different
Posted on 4-May-2004 11:42:14
# ]

I personally have never heard of RISC OS but on one of their sites posted a very favourable story on where Amiga OS is today and was in fact quite accurate.

http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact1038.html

Given the turmoil in our own community it may be helpful for all to visit and reflect. WE ARE NOT ALONE even if we want to be. There are many communities out there, not MS nor Mac with whom we can discuss issues on equal terms. Please visit and say hello, it may even pass the time whilst we await THE ARRIVAL. If you want more info on RISC OS please also visit:

http://www.riscos.org.

ACE

Report this post  
Bodie_CI5 
Re: Are We So Different
Posted on 4-May-2004 12:12:13
#2 ]
Elite Member

@acefnq

No we are not.

Expect me to come over some day.

Profile     Report this post  
Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 4-May-2004 12:27:43
#3 ]
Elite Member

I've been and posted.. I wonder how long though before it degenerates into the type of thing which both Blues and Reds should be ashamed off...

Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 4-May-2004 12:39:23
#4 ]
Elite Member

http://www.riscos.org/cgi-bin/artcl?a=welcome

Been having a look at Riscos.org - checked out the screen shots. Looks a very configuarable modern GUI..

And they have a modern web browser....

Someone please hurry up porting Firebird to AOS

flypig 
Posted on 4-May-2004 14:56:42
#5 ]

@Bobsonsirjonny

I've just been following the links from your posts (to here).

I'm a RISC OS user, and tho' I remember the Amiga of yore, I've not been keeping up with its development. It's nice to be reminded about how it continues.

Anyway, having read your comment, I thought it would be worth mentioning that in many ways RISC OS has suffered because of the web as well. Although the platform has a couple of fairly good browsers, there is still the problem of sites that are not standards compliant, and the fact that in many cases the standards change too fast to keep up.

Many people in the RISC OS community really want a Mozilla port too, so that the constant 'catch-up' can be avoided. I guess we're not so different there either!

ihatewestlife2002 
Posted on 4-May-2004 16:31:33
#6 ]
Cult Member

@acefnq

I'm also a RISC OS user and love the operating system very much. I've been having the same troubles with both platforms such as getting them on the web, printing etc all sorted out tho!

Although RISC OS4 was much, much faster(tho I may be wrong I can't remember when AmigaOS 3.9 came out) than AmigaOS coming out there are numerous patches that load from disc and slow the machine down! I haven't tried RISC OS 5 yet, that will have to wait until I buy the Iyonix PC from Castle some day.

I look forward to being a long time user of both platforms!

Thanks for all your help guys you've got me out of alot of problems!

Intuitioned 
Posted on 4-May-2004 16:44:52
#7 ]

RISC OS! Ahhh! I loved the Archimedes but could never afford one at the time. Ended up with the next best thing, something called an Amiga! 256 colours high res, 8 channel sound, RISC cpu, memory protection, neat looking gui, floating pop-up menus, full window drag (all pre 1990).

I'll have to have a look.

Anyone remember Aurther?

Karlos 
Posted on 4-May-2004 17:00:56
#8 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

I lost track of RiscOS after the appearence of the first RiscPC's

A mate of mine was a big Archimedes fan and it was a cool machine. The model he had (an A3010?) basically had what amounted to a "system on a chip" design, using an ARM core with the IO and gfx and stuff on the same chip. Or so I recall, could be wrong about that.

Some stuff about the OS I liked was the way certian desktop tasks were handled. Click on an icon and scroll down the popup menu to Rename and you got a textbox there in the menu itself

Similarly the save feature of most applications showed an icon in the filebrowser that you could drag to wherever you wanted to save the file as an alternative to clicking through folders.

RiscOS4 was kinda nice on the RiscPC (which is where I lost touch with it). It had antialiased fonts and stuff back then.

Never quite got used to the toolbar thing at the bottom. IIRC, you loaded a program by double clicking and it appeared in the toolbar ready to run from there (ie already loaded but not running).

Or at least that's how I remember itl

-Sam- 
Posted on 4-May-2004 18:21:39
#9 ]
Elite Member

@acefnq

Ahhh yes the Archie. Many a lunchtime was lost at my school to the 3D game Lander.

ihatewestlife2002 
Posted on 4-May-2004 18:39:44
#10 ]
Cult Member

@Intuitioned

Do u mean Arthur? If you are then yup! It was programmed in BASIC a whole OS in BASIC!!! Back then that was state of the art with its icons and windows! How far we have come since then. Windoze is about as functional as it was but Amiga OS and RISC OS oh and Unix/Linux have made great progress since then!

Its amazing even the difference between an Acorn A320 and an A7000 or RISC PC !

Ahh the Acorn a true work of art!

Oh and I got 11 from my school but was lucky enough to send some to a good home now I'm happy with just one! No 2 yea 2 lol

alx 
Posted on 4-May-2004 20:43:00
#11 ]

@ihatewestlife2002

Quote:
Oh and I got 11 from my school but was lucky enough to send some to a good home now I'm happy with just one! No 2 yea 2 lol

Our school chucked well over 100 Acorns out (although they were getting on a bit - that was in about 2000 ) - I managed to get one and give it to a good home.

IIRC RiscOS had some fairly innovative features, like using drag-and-drop for eveything, even saving files (I still cannot decide if this was a massive improvement or a novelty, but at least it was original, and it always seemed to work quite well, integrating the filing functionality totally into the filer). I think they also managed to fit a lot more stuff into the ROM, so you could get some applications up without disk-swapping or a hard drive. I've heard that the multitasking model isn't advanced as AmigaOS though (ie not pre-emptive), but then again we have our share of problems like that (eg memory protection).

@flypig

Nice to have a bit of contact with a similar marooned platform - perhaps the two boards can stay in contact a bit? The similarities are quite striking...

---edit---

Quote:

Important - DMA Issues

On some combinations of drives and machines, large amounts of disk transfer may cause Linux to freeze solid... a work around is to disable DMA on your drive if you're having problems.

Another spooky similarity

Intuitioned 
Posted on 4-May-2004 23:07:45
#12 ]

@alx

Quote:
The similarities are quite striking...

Both waiting for new OS's that ended up with companies we never heard of.

I am wondering about how the management would compare. Acorn lasted a bit longer although if I recall they were really owned by Olliveti since the mid eighties. Like Commodore they did a few howlers like the Acorn Electron and Master Compact (which were good machines really). After the A7000 they did the RISC PC in 1994. From what I can remember you could stack them up and run PC software at the same time(?). Got good reviews and acknowledged as innotive.

I last looked during the late ninties when the 3 digit MHz Strong ARM processor came out. Then Acorn got broken up or broken themself up into different sections. The ARM cpu side of things did very well in the embedded market with the Strong ARM which is adopted by Intel as the XScale.

Darth_X 
Posted on 5-May-2004 0:27:35
#13 ]
Elite Member

@alx

Quote:
Our school chucked well over 100 Acorns out

I wonder if any of these made their way onto ebay?

Anonymous 
Posted on 5-May-2004 0:39:23
# ]

@Darth_X

There's a good chance some of them wound up here:
http://vintagecomputer.co.uk/vcshop/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=16

Report this post  
ihatewestlife2002 
Posted on 5-May-2004 10:50:37
#15 ]
Cult Member

@alx

Chucked out 100 Acorns? Thats a real shame. Tho with sites like www.futurecomputers.co.uk/acorn there is still hope to grab yourself an Acorn if your too late to rescue those poor Acorns from school.

If I ever caught someone scrapping a Risc PC I would feel quite hurt as they are lovely machines and can even emulate an x86 in a RISC OS window with a second processor card!

Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 5-May-2004 11:48:14
#16 ]
Elite Member

Chucked out 100 acorns?

Give it a hundred years the play field will be covered in Oak trees...

All jokeing apart - RISCOS runs on ARM... Also if the ARM chip has everything built in..
How easy would it be to get a basic version running on say a GP32 which has an ARM 9 in it - or say a pocket PC device which also uses ARM?

Toaks 
Posted on 5-May-2004 12:33:39
#17 ]
Elite Member

What if amiga and acorn worked together on getting Mozilla or firebird onto the plattforms ? , i mean...there must be a way we can help each other out?

Amiga has allready a big booty for them who create an mozilla port, now if someone on the acorn did a simmilar thing ? , or what if they somewhat had enough people who could port it fast and properly ?

just a thought anyway...

ihatewestlife2002 
Posted on 5-May-2004 17:21:55
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Toaks

That would make us all happy! I hope one day the Acorn and Amiga merge to make one super platform that could knock the socks off of an x86! I think that if the best parts of both OS come together and then chuck some Linux in for free then it would be a force to be reckoned with! (did I spell that right lol)

drHirudo 
Posted on 5-May-2004 18:12:02
#19 ]

@Toaks

I have a french magazine from 1997 called Dream which covers the Amiga, AtariST, RiscPC and BeOS and software on the CoverCD for these platforms. I don't know if this magazine still exist, but it's a good thought for the alternative platforms to have such combined magazine, which could be big, with interesting articles for the users of the different platforms, just for curiousity or the keep up with the others party. Join effort alternative platforms website, anyone?

ihatewestlife2002 
Posted on 5-May-2004 23:57:00
#20 ]
Cult Member

@drhirudo

I think that, to be honest, if Amiga, Atari and Risc OS 5 came together we will be sorted. We would be part of a cult, we would be best friends forever and that has Never happened before. I Respect everything u say. Please keep Amiga alive!

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle