Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 133 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  10 mins ago
 Rob:  30 mins ago
 OlafS25:  34 mins ago
 zipper:  37 mins ago
 matthey:  56 mins ago
 Luc:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  High CPU usage with DMA enabled?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hyperionmp 
Re: High CPU usage with DMA enabled?
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 18:35:22
#21 ]
Hyperion

@cgutjahr

As a matter of fact, nobody ever asked me that.

If they would, they would get a very polite reply saying that Hyperion has no intention of supporting MorphOS.

I doubt I would have the time to launch into a big speech about it.

Profile     Report this post  
EntilZha 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 18:35:44
#22 ]
OS4 Core Developer

Edited: Foul language
Quote:
Site Netiquette: We share one common ground, we are all Amiga users! Respect other opinions, even though you may not agree. Everyone is entitled to their say, but please do so in a courteous manner. Off-topic posts will be moved to the proper forum, and further action may be taken against repeat offenders.

Quote:
Flame/Attacks: Do not flame! Flaming refers to derogatory, abusive, threatening, sarcastic, rude, or otherwise mean-spirited messages directed at members/users. Be cautious when using sarcasm and humour. Without facial expressions and tone of voice, they do not translate easily over the Internet in posts and may be perceived as flaming. Report the flame posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member so that the situation can be dealt with immediately. A warning may be issued depending on the severity of flame/attacks.

Last edited by tomazkid on 15-Dec-2006 at 09:08 PM.

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

Rogue 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 18:36:52
#23 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@cgutjahr

Quote:
I wouldn't want to see the kind of reply MorphOS users recieve when asking you privately for a MOS version of Real3D

When people ask me for a MOS version of Real3D, I reply "Sorry, we don't plan to produce MorphOS versions of our software because we have no license for that, only for AmigaOS". I would certainly not try to tell people that blue camp software producers are idiots., and produce broken hardware, and are responsible for a split if not the destruction of the Amiga market.

That's a fine but notciable difference, don't you think?

EntilZha 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 18:42:58
#24 ]
OS4 Core Developer

Quote:
Site Netiquette: We share one common ground, we are all Amiga users! Respect other opinions, even though you may not agree. Everyone is entitled to their say, but please do so in a courteous manner. Off-topic posts will be moved to the proper forum, and further action may be taken against repeat offenders.

Quote:
Flame/Attacks: Do not flame! Flaming refers to derogatory, abusive, threatening, sarcastic, rude, or otherwise mean-spirited messages directed at members/users. Be cautious when using sarcasm and humour. Without facial expressions and tone of voice, they do not translate easily over the Internet in posts and may be perceived as flaming. Report the flame posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member so that the situation can be dealt with immediately. A warning may be issued depending on the severity of flame/attacks.

Last edited by tomazkid on 15-Dec-2006 at 09:08 PM.

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

EntilZha 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 18:44:42
#25 ]
OS4 Core Developer

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by tomazkid on 15-Dec-2006 at 09:09 PM.

Seer 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 18:44:57
#26 ]
Team Member

@the Hyperion team,

Guys, whatever you say about this, unless somebody did ask you (before this thread was made) certain people would just call you liars for what you are saying now. If you understand what I mean.

You shouldn't need to defend yourself, but I don't think you should open yourselfes (??SP??) for attacks.. IMHO, I think by responding to this you allowed just that..

EntilZha 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 18:45:31
#27 ]
OS4 Core Developer

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by tomazkid on 15-Dec-2006 at 09:09 PM.

Rogue 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 18:46:02
#28 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Neko

Quote:
So the question is.. why isn't anyone doing it?

If I remember correctly, the statement that was questions was "there is only AmigaOS 4 for AmigaOne, no Linux". The question whether it's up-to-date is pretty irrelevant. Since there actually is a Linux for the AmigaOne, this means that the original statement ("No Linux for AmigaOne") is wrong.

EntilZha 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 18:52:56
#29 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Seer

Quote:
Guys, whatever you say about this, unless somebody did ask you (before this thread was made) certain people would just call you liars for what you are saying now. If you understand what I mean.

Not really.

Quote:
You shouldn't need to defend yourself, but I don't think you should open yourselfes (??SP??) for attacks.. IMHO, I think by responding to this you allowed just that

So be it. I am personally offended by all this crap, I currently have a hard time (one of our family is seriously ill), and this has shown me that there are more important things in life. If somebody wants to piss on me, he should be prepared for me kicking his ass. It's as simple as that. I'm really extremely sick of all this ####. People call me a liar, but in reality they are just furthering their agenda at my expense. I'm not going to take that anymore.

I found this mail by Michael extremely offending. That it came out here is of course not good and should have been avoided. But honestly, I don't care what people think of my reaction on this. I just won't take all the BS anymore.

Well, OK, I'll take some steps now.

Seer 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 19:03:02
#30 ]
Team Member

@EntilZha

I didn't mean to offend you or your brother;

If you understand what I mean.
Not really.

Well, the question was; how do you think Hyperion would have responded to an email asking about an MOS version of Real3D. You all responded you would have answered politely, and I'm not arguing you wouldn't (reading aw.net proofes you would be polite I think). But because nobody ever asked you to port someting to MOS anybody could say "liars" you would respond just as bad.

So be it. I am personally offended by all this crap, I currently have a hard time (one of our family is seriously ill), and this has shown me that there are more important things in life.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he/she will get better soon.

But that's the problem as well. You and your brother and co workers have better thins to do then to respond to threads like this. It's just not worth it. It won't get you anywere, you may even feel worse.

Really, do you think any blue sider really is going to believe anything you say ??

All I'm saying is, you don't have to defend yourself from this. You know you're doing a great job, most people here will say that as well. Why should you even care what somebody thinks who isn't going to buy your work anyway regardless of what it is.

Take care of your ill relative. That's the most important thing there is.

mjohnson 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 19:05:22
#31 ]
From: going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

@Samwel

I'd personally be very interested in a .doc compatible word processor for my OS4, native or emulated. If it worked okay, I could live with emulation, there are more CPU-hungry apps out there than a word-processor that I'd rather see made native. (IFX, hint, hint. )

About the statistics, maybe he's right, maybe it's just guesswork, I haven't seen any official numbers released from any "camp," so I couldn't tell.

And if it were me, I'd be a bit hesitant to publish a private e-mail conversation like that, it doesn't ring right to me.

But I must conclude by saying that the statement could have been a bit more professional, regardless of how one feels about the A1/OS4.

Btw, it's a good thing I've got a registered MakeCD, if Burnit eats ~50% of an 800Mhz G4...

victim 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 19:09:20
#32 ]

@EntilZha

Your caps-lock key seems to be broken. And: Is there really a need to repost this again and again?

Can someone please moderate his postings? My kids are reading this and I don't want them to think it is cool to swear.

Thanks in advance.

EntilZha 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 19:13:48
#33 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Seer

Quote:
I didn't mean to offend you or your brother;

I wasn't offended.

Quote:
Well, the question was; how do you think Hyperion would have responded to an email asking about an MOS version of Real3D

Well, of course, I would answer like a ravengin lunatic: No, we won't support this crap called MOS which works on crap hardware and is made by people who are evil and have killed off the Amiga markert.

No, wait, of course, I would answer differently. FIY, I've been asked for MOS versions of almost all programs we ever did. I always answered with a nice variety of "We only have a license for AmigaOS, nothing else".

In fact, if you look through the fora, mailing list etc, you will notice that I have never ever commented on the merrits of MorphOS. NEVER. Because I don't have a clue about it. I've never seen in in "real life", I was never interested in it. It's a decency from me that is not reflected by the likes of Mr Garlich as he clearly showed in this mail.

Quote:
Really, do you think any blue sider really is going to believe anything you say ??

I never lied to the Amiga public. Never. Therefore, I expect that people believe what I say. If they think I'm lying, I welcome them to prove me wrong,
Edited; removed part of the sentence
However, this is also something that some of the more vocal blue trolls never do.

Really, I had enough of this ####. As I now said multiple times in this thread (if it's not moderated away ):

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Take care of your ill relative. That's the most important thing there is.

Thanks. Yes, it's the most important thing.

Last edited by tomazkid on 15-Dec-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Last edited by tomazkid on 15-Dec-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Magic 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 19:14:25
#34 ]

I think this thread should be deleted and locked away IMHO
/me stops typeing in forums and hides away before he gets flamed

iMac 27" 1TB/Fusion Drive 16GB DDR 2GB Nvidia MacOsX Late 2012 Model

EntilZha 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 19:15:26
#35 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@victim

Quote:
Your caps-lock key seems to be broken.

No, it's working perfectly..

Quote:
And: Is there really a need to repost this again and again?

Yes. Those where answers to the lunatic ravings here, but I edited the post away and replaced it with my feelings for this BS.

Quote:
My kids are reading this and I don't want them to think it is cool to swear.

Oh come on, spare me this nonsense.

tomazkid 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 19:15:54
#36 ]
Team Member

@mjohnson

Quote:
I'd personally be very interested in a .doc compatible word processor for my OS4, native or emulated.

Apparently MS-Office lacks one important feature, and that is the possibility to save files as xml.
So screw .doc, use xml, MS-office can read xml, and xml is supported by both Star-Office and open-Office.

Quote:
Btw, it's a good thing I've got a registered MakeCD, if Burnit eats ~50% of an 800Mhz G4

Burnit hungry, Burnit needs cpu-cycles, feed Burnit

@thread

I didn't notice any cpu-load increase while I run YDL with Bill's kernel, with dma-enabled.

ssolie 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 19:20:54
#37 ]
Elite Member

@victim
Quote:
And: Is there really a need to repost this again and again?

Try reading in threaded mode...

Seer 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 19:23:49
#38 ]
Team Member

@EntilZha

I wasn't offended.

Ok.

However, this is also something that some of the more vocal blue trolls never do.

Yes, that's why I believe you shouldn't respond to this. Unless you want to defend yourself again in the future when everything you say here is taken out of context and used against you.

If they don't believe me, they can kiss my colossal ass.

Shall I ask Eva to come along ??? Nah, you don't really mean that...

Neko 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 19:33:02
#39 ]

@Rogue

Perhaps we should expand it to "no Linux support", and my comments are valid. It's plain that Linux does run, for wild variations of the word "run". However comments here by you and your brother and other Hyperion team members have enlightened everybody that the Linux kernel doesn't do memory mapping the way the Articia wants - so is there some effort to make the Linux kernel use page tables instead of BATs in order to run on such esoteric (and seemingly quite rare) platforms?

Why isn't Linux being supported for the AmigaOne except for that old 2.4.x kernel and some really quite ageing RPM distributions? When Mai ships the Teron ITX, will they be releasing a Linux kernel with the support as outlined above, or the same kernel everyone currently uses for the AmigaOne? You know their "smart terminal" plan really does call for Linux in most markets, doesn't it?

As for whether Michael Garlich had to go into a big speech about it, maybe he didn't - but of course when a user sends him a mail which *IS* a big speech about how he should be reconsidering an OS4 port, I think his reply was as deserving as the original mail.

While Amiga, Eyetech, Hyperion, KMOS or whoever supports the general developer community is not reassuring (with technical backup) all of the qualms and quandries people have about AmigaOS 4 and the AmigaOne platform, you can't exactly expect those developers to be entirely pleased when 1001 rabid slathering Amigafans turn up in your Inbox each day criticising your business decisions.

You don't like it when rabid slathering MorphOS fans mail you about an AmigaOS 4 port for Pegasos, do you? If someone came and lectured YOU on it in a mail, wouldn't you at least feel motivated to produce a more verbose reply than "no"?

Regardless of all that blabbing above, why isn't there an effort to bring AmigaOne (or Teron) Linux support up to the level of contemporary solutions? I didn't see an answer for that.

Neko

EntilZha 
Posted on 30-Jul-2004 19:37:51
#40 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Neko

Quote:
However comments here by you and your brother and other Hyperion team members have enlightened everybody that the Linux kernel doesn't do memory mapping the way the Articia wants

I don't think that I ever commented on the Linux kernel in conjunction with DMA or the Articia.

Quote:
You don't like it when rabid slathering MorphOS fans mail you about an AmigaOS 4 port for Pegasos, do you? If someone came and lectured YOU on it in a mail, wouldn't you at least feel motivated to produce a more verbose reply than "no"?

You know the saying about the glass houses ? Good.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle