Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 138 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  48 secs ago
 kolla:  20 mins ago
 amigakit:  29 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  31 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 MickJT:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  A600 stress
Register To Post

PosterThread
A1200 
A600 stress
Posted on 25-Sep-2004 12:09:07
#1 ]
Elite Member

Well all the components have arrived!

Has anyone ever tried to fit an 030 and a 4 way ide interface to an A600???

This is doing my head in, I might have to extend the HDD cable and loose the internal FDD.

Unless someone has any other clever ideas?

Oh I am rigging some fans up too so AGH!!!!!!

Profile     Report this post  
A1200 
Re: A600 stress
Posted on 25-Sep-2004 16:57:03
#2 ]
Elite Member

Well now we have problems, in initial testing the Apollo 630 worked fine, however. removing it to glue it in place, now it will not stay down, worse still, i have glue on the pins of the socket and the 68000, so, i now have to wait until the glue is dry, peel it off and clean the boards up.

This is turning into a real pig.

A1200 
Posted on 25-Sep-2004 16:59:22
#3 ]
Elite Member

Also, had to get some longer 2.5" HDD leads to connect the IDE adaptor some place else in the case for the lid to close, trouble is 50cm 2.5" leads were £16 each!!!! My god, will this ever end?

NEVER buy an A600 to upgrade!

A1200 
Posted on 26-Sep-2004 13:58:43
#4 ]
Elite Member

Right, the board is now cleaned up, i have now pushed the pins on the 68000 in to there is a lip for th Apollo to sit on. So, whats next? well I am going to clean the contacts once more and this time I am going to stick it on with Araldite, as its probably one of the strongest glues on the market. Hopefully it won't F**k the board.

Time will tell, by tuesday the long cables for the HDD/CD should be here and I will be more or less done. Still optomistic at this stage... stay tuned....!

Ivan 
Posted on 26-Sep-2004 16:03:08
#5 ]

@A1200

I wish i had seen your post earlier. You don't have to glue the accelerator on. There is a better way. Oh, and i hope it didn't arrive in such a state unless it was second hand. The pins in the socket are worn out and thats why it won't hold the cpu. They are like little springs and are supposed to squeeze the cpu. Along with the socket itself is supposed to be a tight fit i guess. The plastic socket on mine is a bit warped and dented around the inside where it's been crushed into the cpu. Take a pin or sewing needle and gently nudge the pins inward. Don't bend them or you'll never get the socket over the cpu. Just give them a little nudge inwards. It dosen't take much on each pin to get a very tight fitting socket again. I did this to my own accelerator by removing it a dozen or so times. Cruddy design imho but nobody will make a better socket. My accelerator refused to stay put as well so i took an emery board and gently cleaned the cpu pins and the pins in the socket. That helped because the pins were no longer polished off from removing the socket so many times. After that i used a needle on all the pins and it's been rock solid ever since. No glue needed. I did have to do it again because one pin was still not making good contact and i was getting random crashes while typing but what the heck, it was the only way i could get the thing working again.

About the IDE though, good luck. I could barely fit in 2 HD's and still get the case closed. :) You might be able to get one over the accelerator, with the legth going left to right, one next to it twards the back and two more to the left of those with the length going front to back. There is also a little room twards the front of the case next to the game ports but if i remember correctly even a super slim HD was still to thick when the case and keyboard came down. The cableing is going to be a nightmare, i don't know if it will be possible. They will definetly all have to be 2.5's and don't forget the power socket is in the back left so insulate the HD's from any circutry or you might wind up with a nice fireworks display when you power up. :) I taped a sheet of paper to the underside of each hd and put one in the back left corner. If you do manage it, you HAVE to take a few pics so i can have a look. :)

A1200 
Posted on 27-Sep-2004 0:25:49
#6 ]
Elite Member

----UPDATE-----

Right tonight I have had a real rollercoaster of emotion with the miggy. First of all I must thank my girlfriend for being so understanding when the following events happened:

I got all the glue off the connector see: Glue Problem
However I replaced the board and swiched on the power, only to get.... nothing. I was depressed in an instant! Pulled the board off and tried it again, NO! I fried the Amiga.

On the off chance I texted my mate Chris, too see if he had a spare 600, he did not. So I got to the grim task of taking photos of component parts ready for ebay, being as I have spent in total about 400-500 pounds, I was not happy, AmigaONE was looking like a thing for the near future. However, when I was going to take a picture of the main unit, I noticed the old 25w PSU connected to the Amiga, not the 250w! I, like a plank had been swiching on the wrong power pack. Pulse started racing.... could it be........ YES!!!!! Nothing wrong with the A600 or the A630.

I am now back on track with the 600, below are links to a few images. You will notice some silicone on the board, this was part of my original mounting attempt, and it got a little messy. Silicone is going to be used incidently as a mounting for the HDD, so there is no contact between the metal chassis or the mainboard. I used silicone before for placing the HDD on the bracket because the holes on new 2.5" HDDs are different. Mastick is your friend... a messy friend at that.

Anyway, after some bad decisions for some holes etc. I have bought a new A600 case, should arrive with the new IDE cables.

As you can see from the pics, I could not get the 4 way adaptor in and close the case without distroying the PCMCIA port, which I intend to use for networking (I already have the card). So i am going to cover the board in silicone (lovely stuff) but leave the CD drive cable bare so it can be disconnected when carting the A600 to shows (BB2 being the first!)

Please note the fan will be mounted and connected as well as the vents on top being closed off (good advice from my friend Christian Krenner of amiga600.de)

Also note my handy work with some PC heatsinks, I could only find one small enough for the 4 chips that need extra cooling, so I cut some bigger ones down with a junior hacksaw and cleaned the edges with a file.

I have the 33MHz model of 630 accelerator so I think that the one fan on top with the heatsinks should be ample cooling. I had it swiched on for some time and there was very little heat so I think that will do.... Oh and one last thing, I stuck the heatsinks on with superglue, as I have used this in the past and it does work well and does not appear to suffer from heat.

I am going to update the website this week and will announce on AmigaWorld when it is online. Until then, enjoy the pics:

Test pic one
Test pic two

Edit: I just used a small amount of Araldite on the corners of the socket this time and it is holding quite well. Thanks to Ivan's suggestion about using a pin to make the socket fit on the CPU tighter, that helped too.

DrJohn 
Posted on 27-Sep-2004 3:23:53
#7 ]

@A1200

DOH! Sweet dude, nice job!

Ivan 
Posted on 30-Sep-2004 13:52:28
#8 ]

@DrJohn

Agreed man. It makes me realise how old and yellow my own 600 is. It's a pity he had to put heatsinks on the accelerator though. Another drive could have rested right on top. Unless he can still do that and get the case closed.

Has anyone ever towered a 600? I've heard rumors about it but never saw it done or someone telling about how they did it.

Cass 
Posted on 30-Sep-2004 23:58:43
#9 ]

@A1200

Here is my attempt for upgrading the A600:

Pic1, Pic2

A1200 
Posted on 1-Oct-2004 0:27:55
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Cass

Nice, similar to what I am doing except I have managed to get 2 long hard drive cables and also have an IDE interface to connect a CDROM drive as well as a HDD.

I am not sure about the Capacitor modification. I am using a goliath PSU and I am going to see how it goes, plus I will have to order a few capacitors and if the thing runs OK I will probably not bother.

Cass 
Posted on 1-Oct-2004 15:14:15
#11 ]

@A1200

You're lucky! I've already burnt a regular A600 PSU, and I needed more stable voltage on the board (random crashes).

Did you manage to fit the whole thing with the case closed?! Mine is as a normal A600 plus the expansions (internally, no cables/cases externally.). I didn't sacrifice the floppy drive.

A1200 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 1:50:40
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Cass

I will be posting pics when the project is done, should be this sunday so stay tuned....

ihatewestlife2002 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 8:57:23
#13 ]
Cult Member

@A1200

Ooooh u said the forbidden word FAN!! Naah just let it run without one of those nasty things Too late! I spotted it! Does it make that much noise?

ihatewestlife2002 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 9:08:05
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Cass

All the pics look great! I have a 600 its not yellow but is it easy to put on of those accelerator thingys in?

Cass 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 15:47:48
#15 ]

@ihatewestlife2002

Sure it's easy, have a look at http://www.amiga600.de/ for a DIY guide also.

A1200 
Posted on 5-Oct-2004 0:11:02
#16 ]
Elite Member

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7085&forum=2
For an update.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle