Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  15 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  24 mins ago
 Swisso:  41 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  42 mins ago
 Hypex:  43 mins ago
 VooDoo:  59 mins ago
 agami:  59 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 ed:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Genesi Scandinavia introduced new Firewall
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
mbilla 
Genesi Scandinavia introduced new Firewall
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 10:28:01
#1 ]

Genesi Scandinavia has introduced a new powerfull firewall which will be used with Peg servers.
Read it here.

With the recent success at different shows including support by IBM/Freescale it looks very much like Genesi is going to have produced a wiining system. I think Genesi is only going LINUX and do forget about Morphos. Pegs with Amiga compatibility was just a way to get Amiga programmers and money from Peg I buyers.

On the other hand I really would like to see microA1 with AOS and LINUX act as servers too.
But AOS isn't mature enough for a long time to compete against LINUX servers, if ever!
Nearly every month Genesi shows up at big PROFESSIONAL shows, whereas AOS and A1 are only demoed to a small AMIGA only group.

I hope that all the rumors about "we don't know what's going behind the scenes" are true and that we soon get annoucements about the beals with VERY big companies.

(I know flaming will begin now but marketing behind Pegs is for more professional than behind A1)

and your PDAs and laptops ...
Psion 5mx Pro - Psion NetBook - Apple iPhone - MacBook Pro

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: Genesi Scandinavia introduced new Firewall
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 10:30:12
# ]

@mbilla

My router has a firewall built in, the mailservers I use have spamfilters. The router/firewall cost me 50 quid a year ago. Its silent, compact, flash updatable and module updateable through the uploads panel and just fine thanks.

PS, thats the third worst "corporate" website Ive ever seen in my life.

Dave.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 10:45:30
# ]

@mbilla

Use the right tool to do the job right because MorphOS or AmigaOS is not a server OS.

Linux is the key to mass market (working Linux with a reliable DMA do exist for mA1 btw).

Report this post  
mbilla 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 10:45:55
#4 ]

@DaveP
my router too, but what I mean: with announcement like these Genesi gets the momentum which is missing to Amigas.

Toaks 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 10:47:13
#5 ]
Elite Member

@mbilla

imho this has been expected since day 1 and this is why so many people have left genesi , first step was to knock AMIGA down and then disgrace Amiga even more with lawsuits and then all in all they didnt get all they expected so they went underground to full fill the linux stuff.

this news is either good or bad for the MOS VS OS4 or pegasos vs a1 discussions because there is many good things with competetion like it has been so far and it has improved the actual hw/sw too though that was most likely planned in most aspects but u never know if we had only one of the options we have today.

anyway this item doesnt say mos is dead or simmilar so imho no reason to say it is either and im pretty sure that the core mos dev team is still active and we know mos1.5 is on its way but afaik this update aint scheduled to come out very soon but then again i might be wrong.....

Genesi and MOS is 2 diffrent things imho and selling linux machines could be a way to presure morphos as a bundle out to the mass market (ie a morphos compatible sticker on the box will do things like.. HMM WHATS MORPHOS, let me check the internet etc....)

im no linux fan but i would love to see linux on the a1 beeing as good as its on the peg but then again i never used linux on either of them so im just basing that on what i have heard and know trough mailing lists and here on forums

Coder 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 10:48:36
#6 ]
Team Member

@mbilla

Quote:
I think Genesi is only going LINUX and do forget about Morphos. Pegs with Amiga compatibility was just a way to get Amiga programmers and money from Peg I buyers.

It seems like it.

Quote:
With the recent success at different shows including support by IBM/Freescale it looks very much like Genesi is going to have produced a wiining system.

Dunno. It seems a lot of marketing hype to me. I bet Eyetech could make some deals and show up with big names with that kind of shows. I mean, my dog can bring me my slippers and everyone thinks it's wonderful but so far it's not paying the bills. If you get my drift.

Quote:
I hope that all the rumors about "we don't know what's going behind the scenes" are true and that we soon get annoucements about the beals with VERY big companies.

Announcements are like air. They do nothing. It has to result in something that generates money. Like I said before, marketing hype.

Coder

Anonymous 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 10:49:21
# ]

@mbilla

Maybe Eyetechs marketing is predicated on waiting for a reliable A1 linux distribution and a commercial release of OS4.

Report this post  
Coder 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 10:50:51
#8 ]
Team Member

@mbilla

Quote:
with announcement like these Genesi gets the momentum which is missing to Amigas.

I very much doubt that my son.

Coder

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 11:34:18
#9 ]
Elite Member

@CheatX

I think it good idea, the marked is filled whit whit stuff like this, it's nothing new, on the other hand it don't cost nothing to market it and sell a few, no one really care about the OS it runs, as long as it doing the job it's designed for.

I bet we can fit a few small MicroAOnes-I inside some black boxs and call them advanced firewalls, (we are not taking servers her)

I disagree whit any one saying that AmigaOS can not do the job, I think a quick port of smooth-wall, few email spam scanning tools then put AmigaOS on flash-card and it fits like glow, the memory protection is not protecting programs form the out side any way, and box like this relay only need one user (admin-user), as we are not taking about a file server her, the biggest problem in this market is cost/effect ratio

gary_c 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 12:01:19
#10 ]
Cult Member

@mbilla and others

Nobody is forgetting about MorphOS, but to be realistic, especially since Genesi's Pretory fund source went dry, income has to come from an already-established market. For the Pegasos, that means Linux. MorphOS also ships on every machine Genesi makes and is often shown at industry events even though Linux is the main attraction.

I think Genesi was after "Amiga" users and developers in the beginning because that's the market they were familiar with and expected to primarily sell to; in the beginning there wasn't a clear idea of how many buyers there were in this market. Genesi realized, as did Eyetech, that they can't survive on "Amiga market" sales alone, and so they have had to branch out with Linux and other OSs.

I don't want to get into the MorphOS vs. AmigaOS debate, but at least we can say that MorphOS is "competitive" (without claiming it is "ahead" or "behind" or whatever). MOS1.5 has been shown recently and apparently includes some much-needed improvements. MOS isn't really ready yet for prime time, although it works well enough for experienced users to replace their classic Amigas. In view of this, as a hardware company Genesi has had to turn to another OS to team with the machine to find buyers right now. Linux fits this purpose, and meshes with other companies' products and marketing, as the SNDF and other such events have demonstrated.

Eyetech will have to do the same thing as Genesi, as in fact I understand they are already doing. I hope Amiga fans don't then accuse them of giving up on the Amiga market. It's really just a way to try to ensure financial survival.

-- gary_c

mbilla 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 13:44:05
#11 ]

@all

According to this press release MAI has demonstrated 300 miniTERONS in China this September with Linux as OS. (miniTeron is practically identical to the microA1 except for some changes Eyetech made)
It was even mentioned on China business weekly (look for MAI or TERON)

It could be that Eyetech was there too and showed some microA1 running AOS4 and/or Linux.
So it could be very well that Eyetech does or does soon show the same marketing results as Genesi but onlky on the Asian/Chinese market, which we won't notice so much here in the Western world.

Step 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 15:00:15
#12 ]
Cult Member

Will they register a company in sweden ?, lol our taxes are just plain silly

Toaks 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 15:06:13
#13 ]
Elite Member

@mbilla

they showed off AmigaOne micro "I" model (the one u call miniteron)

thats the industrial version of the A1 micro , basically the same as the "c" model but
with non socketed cpu and it has Firewire which the "C" doesnt have.

iirc the I model had ATA133 and the C had 100 aswell......

DJBase 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 16:31:50
#14 ]

@Toaks

Why is there no single word about AmigaONE micro in this Pressrelease?

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 16:43:07
#15 ]

@Toaks

Quote:
they showed off AmigaOne micro "I" model (the one u call miniteron)

The TeronMini is the Commercial model MicroA1 (or 99% identical, anyway). Both are very different from the Industrial MicroA1.

Rogue 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 17:31:18
#16 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@mbilla

Quote:
my router too, but what I mean: with announcement like these Genesi gets the momentum which is missing to Amigas.

I fail to see, and did fail to see when I read the message the first time on amiga-news.de, the relevance to Amiga (or MorphOS for the matter)...

falcon1 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 19:42:07
#17 ]

@Rogue

You're right, the only link is the hardware used... the peg2. But I think that we'll see such news from eyetech as soon they will have a reliable linux (or a fixed mobo.. don't know anymore since last days)

The only thing which comes into my mnd, is that genesi will sell peg2 under linux or proprietary solutions (firewall) in order to earn more money an then help MorphOS growing. Now, I can imagine selling Teron's for linux, too ; but customers must be blind or stupid to buy Terons+ AOS4 dongle (=A1) for a linux use only... so I fail to see how it could be a benefit for AOS4... but of course, it will be a big profit for Eyetech.

falcon1 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 19:42:48
#18 ]

@Rogue

BTW you new avatar is quite fun

Argo 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 20:01:09
#19 ]

@mbilla

"Beijing-based Arc 9 Computer Inc last week announced plans to launch an industrial computer joint venture in Canada.

The venture will produce industrial computers equipped with IBM PowerPC's central processing units and Mai Logic P's Articia chips for industrial control systems of industrial and manufacturing companies in Canada.

The venture, to be officially launched soon, is expected to be listed on Canada's capital market.

Previously, the company forged a strategic alliance with US-based high-tech firm Inguard Incorporated to produce its Teron-type personal computers for Chinese and overseas markets."

Argo 
Posted on 2-Oct-2004 20:03:03
#20 ]

@DJBase

Look for "Teron-type" board. It could be, it could be not.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle