Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 138 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs ago
 agami:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 37 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga 1200 and it's endless hacks.
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Foody 
Amiga 1200 and it's endless hacks.
Posted on 27-Nov-2004 13:44:46
#1 ]

I have never seen a hardware before in my life that is so hackable and expandable than an Amiga 1200 hardware. I honestly am shocked and have my mouth open so wide it is not even funny.

f Amiga 1200 is such a versatile hardware to a point that you can hack it to act like a PPC, to a point you can do as many hacks and expansions and customization to any desire and fantasy you wish it to be...then why can't you have a hack to make it act at a speed of 800 Mhz which becomes a superior hardware than any hardware invented by man kind? Why don't they recreate amiga 1200 hardware structure and have demands for it like you would on an amigaOne. After all, Amiga 1200 is such hackable and expandable that modern gagdets works on it. That you can do so much with it, it is not even funny.

Profile     Report this post  
RoqueFort 
Re: Amiga 1200 and it's endless hacks.
Posted on 27-Nov-2004 15:29:58
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Foody

Most of us agree, the A1200 is THE MOST VERSATILE of all Amigas, indeed, it is more expandable than any other Amiga.

However, ironically it was never designed to be very expandable, so the more you add to it, the less stable it becomes. If you got it to run at 800Mhz, it could be just as unstable as an X86 PC of the same power, running Windows!

Sex doesn't prove to me that sex doesn't suck.

BrianHoskins 
Posted on 27-Nov-2004 16:25:31
#3 ]
Cult Member

The A1200 truly is a very versatile machine. It's generally accepted that it's the most expandable (and affordable) Amiga of all time, and I reckon it's a serious contender for the most expandable COMPUTER of all time!

That said, the A1200 cannot possibly compete with the modern systems that we see today. It's physically impossible, and really if the Amiga platform is to move forward at all it does have to leave behind the classic systems and move on to bigger and better things.

I'll never ever ditch my A1200 though. I've had the machine since my childhood and it's become a permanent part of my computing life. It's already hacked to the max and I'll continue to add new expansions which improve it's performance until no further expansions become available for it!

I WILL go down the route of SharkPPC if Elbox come up trumps with that. I don't expect a SharkPPC A1200 will compete with an AmigaOne for speed or perhaps even be cost effective compared to one, but I'll continue to expand my classic system for as long as I can, even if I also buy a new Amiga in the meantime.

I think it's pretty cool what my 12 year old A1200 can actually do!

Brian

Foody 
Posted on 27-Nov-2004 18:42:23
#4 ]

@BrianHoskins

I salute Commodore, the father of Amiga every single person out there that have helped and/or created the best, coolest, funniest, the most superior hardware/computer invented by man kind. I thank them all and now I am going to give the same thanks and appreciation for the new people out there that have taken the place of Commodore inc and by that is hyperior, EyeTech, and the people out there that are working on Amiga Reality and AmigaWorld.NET and most importantly the community. I really love this place and love everyone out here. I am in tears of happiness and I am sure that AmigaOne will become the next versatile Amiga1200 out there . Mostly I want to thank Amiga Reality team out there for remaking a keyboard Amiga back into reality, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes , With the choices of colors as well makes you feel like you are rebirthed into toy land..WOOHOO!!! I know the next PC is AmigaOne, I am not even going to spend a single dime buying a new x86 PC. Why? The one I have is DOING everything I need and I am happy with it...weeee. I love you ALL! AmigaROCKS!!

P.S "Could we please add the power led flashing when AmigaOne crashes or have the feature to turn filter ON/OFF (power led ON/OFF from filter)? PLEASE, PLEASE, PL,EASE, PLEASE, PLLLLLLEEASSEE..OH PREEETY PLEASE!!!"

Last edited by Foody on 27-Nov-2004 at 06:47 PM.
Last edited by Foody on 27-Nov-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Last edited by Foody on 27-Nov-2004 at 06:45 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Nov-2004 19:53:12
# ]

@Foody

Because the Amiga 1200 is a low quality, poorly built piece of crap. If you want 800 MHz then buy a modern PC. If you love the Amiga then STOP COMPLAINING ! The Amiga computers are fine just the way they are, for us true retro geeks.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Nov-2004 20:08:14
# ]

@RoqueFort

Quote:
Most of us agree, the A1200 is THE MOST VERSATILE of all Amigas, indeed, it is more expandable than any other Amiga.

NOT TRUE ! The Amiga 2000 Series is THE most expandable of all the Amiga models. More hardware and boards were produced for the Amiga 2000 Series then any other Amiga model. The Amiga 2000's little brother, the Amiga 500, is THE number one selling Amiga of all time. More Amiga 500 computers were produced and sold then any other Amiga model. Only the famous Commodore 64 computer out-sold the Amiga 500. The most popular Amiga model in America was the high quality Amiga 2000 Series. The most popular Amiga model in Europe was the low quality Amiga 1200. I had an Amiga 1200 with a 68030 board, 128 megs of ram, and two hard drives. I sold that piece of crap on eBay and took the money and bought myself a really nice Amiga 2500 system in mint condition with boxes. I have been happy ever since.

Report this post  
aldur 
Posted on 27-Nov-2004 20:50:54
#7 ]

@RetroGeek

I'm shocked, this is not a dig at you so don't take any insult from my statement but i'm actually impressed with your answer I knew when this thread started you would respond with your standard "Cut and Paste" answer, but this response actually fits in my opinion as a response and not trolling, While you are welcome to your belief in your A2000 never having used one myself but having had an A500 and A1200 I can definitly say that the A1200 is a much better machine, when I got my a1200 a put my a500 away and never used it again.

Foody 
Posted on 27-Nov-2004 21:42:16
#8 ]

@RetroGeek

Complain..where in the world where there any form of complain. Point out one complain out of what I typed and I will indeed shut up..but since this was not a complained but a statement I will have to point that you are wrong. Thanks.

aldur 
Posted on 27-Nov-2004 22:14:15
#9 ]

@Foody

the complaint was that you wanted an a1200 that ran a 800Mhz you have to think like Rg to under stand what he meant

off now to wash my brain with soap

Foody 
Posted on 27-Nov-2004 22:18:05
#10 ]

@aldur

That wasn't a complaint....I wasn't going about why not make the A1200 run at 800 Mhz you losers!! At all..that wasn't what I ment or this was not that target..but I see what you mean..you have to have the mind of RetroGeek which thankfully I don't.

aldur 
Posted on 27-Nov-2004 22:58:59
#11 ]

@Foody

I completely agree you were expressing the wish that the a1200 should evolve into a a1220 @ 800MHz

/off topic
do you know that your avatar expresses your feelings of your posts

when you have a happy bouny post it looks like hes smiling when you have an angry post it looks like hes gritting his teeth

Mugge 
Posted on 27-Nov-2004 23:39:31
#12 ]

@RetroGeek

Excuse me for joinig.

But seen in relation to it's introduction time, size and price. The A1200 is by my opinion a fantastic Amiga. The A500 may have been a bigger revolution, but it didn't have the A1200's good looks (still today it's beautifull). The A2000 may have been more expandable, but it was meant to be so, the A1200 proved it's worth beyond it's design goals.

So what bugging you? Poor assembly quality or something like that?

I'll give an example:
My 12" iBook is low end and with less than stellar assebly quality and probably has less grunt than my PC*. But Guess whats the most nice thing to work with

Being an amigan you should know that it's not about how big it is, but what you can do with it.

But having said that, I can perfectly understand your passion for the A2000/2500, just don't make it a reason to disrespect the A1200.

*)Even though my sister thinks it looks like something from a toy store

RoqueFort 
Posted on 28-Nov-2004 1:32:03
#13 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Foody wrote:
@BrianHoskins

I salute Commodore, the father of Amiga every single person out there that have helped and/or created the best, coolest, funniest, the most superior hardware/computer invented by man kind. I thank them all and now I am going to give the same thanks and appreciation for the new people out there that have taken the place of Commodore inc and by that is hyperior, EyeTech, and the people out there that are working on Amiga Reality and AmigaWorld.NET and most importantly the community. I really love this place and love everyone out here. I am in tears of happiness and I am sure that AmigaOne will become the next versatile Amiga1200 out there . Mostly I want to thank Amiga Reality team out there for remaking a keyboard Amiga back into reality, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes , With the choices of colors as well makes you feel like you are rebirthed into toy land..WOOHOO!!! I know the next PC is AmigaOne, I am not even going to spend a single dime buying a new x86 PC. Why? The one I have is DOING everything I need and I am happy with it...weeee. I love you ALL! AmigaROCKS!!

Those are great words, coming from someone who, only a couple of months ago, was claiming the Amiga was dead and that we should put it to rest. That was from listening to some guy called Leiam.

Good thing you've seen the light, Foody! I trust you won't be easily misled again!
Quote:

P.S "Could we please add the power led flashing when AmigaOne crashes or have the feature to turn filter ON/OFF (power led ON/OFF from filter)? PLEASE, PLEASE, PL,EASE, PLEASE, PLLLLLLEEASSEE..OH PREEETY PLEASE!!!"

Wha... WHAT?!? AmigaOne CRASH?!? surely not!

Sex doesn't prove to me that sex doesn't suck.

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 28-Nov-2004 3:09:52
#14 ]
Elite Member

@RetroGeek

Please read your PM.

@Thread

IMO the A1200 truly does rock. (I don't have a souped up one though, just an 040 in it). Yet throughout the ages I have been reading the incredible testimonies of many a user who has hacked the A1200 beyond belief, to such an extent that it is still their main computer today! More than 10 years of working and they are still going strong!

syrtran 
Posted on 28-Nov-2004 5:19:38
#15 ]
Cult Member

@Foody

Quote:
I have never seen a hardware before in my life that is so hackable and expandable than an Amiga 1200 hardware. I honestly am shocked and have my mouth open so wide it is not even funny.

Well, I've got one here that's been a working Toaster/Flyer system for 5 years. Although, I do seem to have trouble reaching the power button since the A1 got a proper OS.

People who generalize are always wrong.

1989 - 500 / 1991 - 3000 / 1997 - Genesis Flyer 1200T / 2003 - A1XE

Deniil715 
Posted on 28-Nov-2004 12:29:58
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Foody

Quote:

Who uses/used the audio filter in Amigas?!?! It was the most annoying thing ever! I hate(ed) that stupid filter, cutting away all treble making the sound all dull And there was a CD called "The Best of the Amiga Scene" some 6-8 years ago, and the stupid basterd who recorded it did it in *mono* with the filter ENABLED!! The whole CD with the best Amiga music artists was hardly listenable

About the AmigaOne crashing: The A1 cannot crash, it can only hang. If programs crash they bring up the Grim Reaper, which is a very enhanced version of that "Guru Meditation [Suspend|Reboot]" requester Classic Amigas will bring up if the crash was caught by the OS. If OS4 cannot catch a program crash, the machine will just hang as it can't totally crash and reboot like a Classic Amiga. However, OS4 will catch a lot more program crashes, bringing up the Grim Reaper to clean it up, than the Classic do. It rarely hangs.

Framiga 
Posted on 28-Nov-2004 12:36:40
#17 ]
Elite Member

@RoqueFort and All

IMHO the best Amiga produced, has been, IS and will be the one you prefer,period.

Everyone who claims "mine is better" is a . . . .

Cheers

EDITED- the one you prefer and that you can afford too.

Last edited by Framiga on 28-Nov-2004 at 12:38 PM.

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 28-Nov-2004 13:21:32
#18 ]
Cult Member

@RetroGeek

Quote:
Because the Amiga 1200 is a low quality, poorly built piece of crap.

Having had almost any model of Amiga (except for 600/3000, and still owning each one of them), i'd hardly second your thoughts.

Foody 
Posted on 28-Nov-2004 14:47:37
#19 ]

@Deniil715

Ooh ok :(...I suppose I am the only one who was in love with the filter and the flashing led when it crashes and/or when the games installs files from memoy into memory which resulting the power led flashing like a floppy disk :(. * sniff *

GadgetMaster 
Posted on 28-Nov-2004 15:08:41
#20 ]
Cult Member

@Bodie_CI5

I thought Doomy was banned.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle