Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 163 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  11 mins ago
 pixie:  30 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 58 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs ago
 agami:  5 hrs 3 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga.com down?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
polka. 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 14:26:49
#121 ]

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@A1200

Quote:
Agreed. http://sites.google.com/site/freeamiga is an excellent read.

Good propaganda, nothing more...

LOL. What exactly is propaganda on this site, with what exactly don't you agree with? Please point it out. And please supply references for that (just like in the original article, hehe).

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 14:40:00
#122 ]
Elite Member

@polka.

I prepare my own work on this subject (heuristic phase is partially done). When it is done (...), you can read it (however, I write it in the Czech language...). I don´t dispute facts in this article, but I have great problem with their interpretation. All work of the author of this article was done with simple intention: to bash Amiga company and especially Bill McEwen. This is method of a propagandist, not historian.

Ancalimon 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 14:47:29
#123 ]

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@polka.
All work of the author of this article was done with simple intention: to bash Amiga company and especially Bill McEwen. This is method of a propagandist, not historian.

There is no historian who is not socialy conditioned.

Jacken 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 14:49:21
#124 ]

@pavlor

I agree completly with you.

The_Editor 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 15:20:37
#125 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Actually I believe Bill McEwen is a victim of circumstance.
He started off with good intentions but the paymasters made him dance a merry jig.

Somewhat akin to what big businesses do to governments. (A bit of innuendo here.. a bung there, etc).

Last edited by The_Editor on 09-Feb-2010 at 03:21 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 15:54:25
#126 ]
Elite Member

@The_Editor

Quote:
Actually I believe Bill McEwen is a victim of circumstance. He started off with good intentions but the paymasters made him dance a merry jig.

If he couldn't deliver on his intentions because of internal/investor politics then he should have been true to himself and resigned! I have no sympathy for him, he's responsible for further degrading the value of the Amiga brand! The Amiga Center incident was unforgivable! A joke of a company, led by a joker!

retro 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 16:22:06
#127 ]

http://sites.google.com/site/freeamiga
wooooooooow 87 mill and no products..
well iff ther some how manage to get ther web up agen and makes aa2 avaible and flecy has the time to do an snowmaker 2 to next xmess. well then ther might make it into an 100 million doller company !!!

rofl

ChrisH 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 16:24:55
#128 ]
Elite Member

@BigD
Yes. At least Fleecy had the decency to step out of the lime-light (if not leave Amiga Inc entirely).

(Haven't read the web site yet, but it looks like an interesting read, whatever the reliability of it's interpretation.)

Caveman 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 16:27:41
#129 ]
Cult Member

@retro

If we ditch AmigaOS,and focus on coding snowmanmakers,we will be billionaires in no time..........yaaaahooooooo..........

xispo 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 17:18:23
#130 ]

Napoleon once said "Don´t attribute malice to what can be attributed to incompetence.".
The problem is that http://sites.google.com/site/freeamiga provides so many evidence pointing towards the malice theory, that thinking the opposite can only be sustained by sheer naivety.

I guess all will be fixed when OS5 is released. ;)

pavlor 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 17:44:23
#131 ]
Elite Member

@xispo

Quote:
provides so many evidence pointing towards the malice theory, that thinking the opposite can only be sustained by sheer naivety.

I saw many documents created to bash someone (even with proper citations, footnotes and references...), thus I´am very careful, when I read something fuelled by hatred...

Remember, without Bill McEwen, there would be no OS4 and our community would be even smaller than today (MorphOS is not answer for all those who want Amiga - for many of us, it is the name what matters).

"the Kings name is a Tower of strength,
Which they vpon the aduerse Faction want."

Birbo 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 18:09:54
#132 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Didn't you talk about propaganda?

Are you telling us, that without Bill McEwen, there would be no OS4?

Please, please Pavlor. What you are writing is propaganda at it's best.

How would you know, how history had changed, if Bill McEwen wasn't there?

First write your document, then come again. Until then, you are bashing the work of others like you wrote about before.

steril606 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 18:21:47
#133 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@The_Editor

Quote:
Actually I believe Bill McEwen is a victim of circumstance. He started off with good intentions but the paymasters made him dance a merry jig.

If he couldn't deliver on his intentions because of internal/investor politics then he should have been true to himself and resigned! I have no sympathy for him, he's responsible for further degrading the value of the Amiga brand! The Amiga Center incident was unforgivable! A joke of a company, led by a joker!

This. Exactly. If he felt Amiga went the wrong way, he always had the possibility to step down from his job, and start to talk to the community directly what he felt went wrong.

So, all in all, I feel he deserves a lot (maybe not all) of those bashings he gets.

Time and MAP will tell , but somehow I have the feeling "Hyperions reign" will be of more benefit to the Amiga-cause than Amiga Inc could have ever hoped.

pavlor 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 18:23:26
#134 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

Quote:
First write your document, then come again. Until then, you are bashing the work of others like you wrote about before.

I though that we have freedom of speech... (at least in our country)

Quote:
Are you telling us, that without Bill McEwen, there would be no OS4?

Show me someone other in our community with 5 milions USD who could buy Amiga from Gateway in 1999.

Quote:
Please, please Pavlor. What you are writing is propaganda at it's best.

You don´t even know my skills on this field

Birbo 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 18:35:14
#135 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Sadly, freedom of speech here refers to your freedom to attack the maker of the freeamiga-website.

It's true that I don't know your skills on this field - so why don't you show us, what you are talking about?

And why do you think that OS4 has something to do with the deal between Bill McEwen and Gateway?

You wrote about facts and interpretation and propaganda and so on. So tell us; where are the facts about your interpretation of history? What fact let you think, that there wasn't OS4 without Bill McEwen?

Kronos 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 18:40:46
#136 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

Show me someone other in our community who can scam 5 milions USD out of some investors to bury that money by buying Amiga from Gateway in 1999.

See, corrected your typos

andres 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 18:42:51
#137 ]

I'm sorry, but there are no excuses at all for McEwen ...
No, really, the whole history of mobile phones, the AA project, "OS5 better than MacOS", it's all completely absurd...

Home Recording Audio

amigang 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 18:49:21
#138 ]
Elite Member

Bit of negativity towards old Amiga inc, but they did do it to them selves they messed up and announced so many vapour ware products, I think were all agreed in saying the best thing that Amiga Inc did was licence out AmigaOS4, and they nearly screwed that up for us.

As for who else could of bought it, I'm surprised QNX never had the idea to buy the name and use it on its own OS, as the name alone would of gave them so much more media coverage and a community ready to support it.

Last edited by amigang on 09-Feb-2010 at 06:50 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 19:07:47
#139 ]
Elite Member

@Birbo

Quote:
Sadly, freedom of speech here refers to your freedom to attack the maker of the freeamiga-website.

No comment...

Quote:
And why do you think that OS4 has something to do with the deal between Bill McEwen and Gateway?

Look at the situation (end of the year 1999): If you want further development of AmigaOS, you must have someone who will give licence to the developers. From Gateway´s point of view it was only waste of time, resources and money. Of course, if you have enough money, you can buy Amiga.Inc. But who will give 5 milions USD for this company to further develop outdated technology? For companies outside our community it would be more reasonable to buy this company only for its name (and use it in some obscure machines - eg. that was the case of the Commodore brand). Only someone inside our community could do something that stupid like invest money in dead OS and make sure it will be developed (albeit by another company).

So, is there (in our community) someone with free 5 milions of USD (selling price of Amiga.Inc in 1999)? Nobody? No? Yes! Bill McEwen.

He has dreams about new technology (TAO), but he must (and will!) listen to his community. November 2001 agreement is written and the OS4 project is born. Rest is history we all know.

Back to the year 2010: Sure we can hard judge Bill McEwen. But remember, he lost all he hoped for and his dreams are now in ruins. And OS4 project that he started by his signature? We have AmigaOS 4.1 Update 1 - not that bad I think.

linnar 
Posted on 9-Feb-2010 19:09:52
#140 ]
Cult Member

Were can you find like this:
http://sites.google.com/site/freeamiga
on Hyperion?

I think many would be surprised when we saw that the good fairy also has skeletons in the closet.
Who knows, you might get quite a fright stuffed reading.

Theft of the operating system because of some poor wording of the agreement is an example. Is it possible to find more such attacks on friends?
I just wonder.

Amiga Inc must have stolen a lot of IP's from those who trusted Amiga Inc through the years. Otherwise it would not have thrown so much sh * t on them, right?

I have read and participated in many forums Discussion over the years, some have focused on completely different things than the Amiga. I have never seen any forum in which to write so much pain on a person or a company in this and other Amiga forums.

I think it is more like personal persecution!

Last edited by linnar on 09-Feb-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle