Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 136 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  34 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 billt:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs ago
 Tuxedo:  4 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga.com down?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
linnar 
Re: Amiga.com down?
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 11:52:28
#241 ]
Cult Member

@polka.

Quote:

polka. wrote:
@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:
OK, you have not tested "OS5".

Someone else?

How to test something that doesn't exist at all?

I may want to ask about the source of this claim. But I do not ask about it because I know it's a standing position on the board. Otherwise, you can read my answer above.

So I am not entirely sure that "OS5" exists, it can not be outside of Amiga Inc. So, anyone can be right.

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 11:53:42
#242 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Couldn't all that be summarised with:

"I too have doubts over whether OS5 exists."

Quote:
but is also the possibility that it really exists is a bit larger than the opposite when it demonstrably has developed AA2 and that there is much proof that it worked at least one person with Amiga Inc. as a programmer.

People might have worked on it but that doesn't mean

a) They knew what they were doing.
b) They had any plan as to how to sell copies.
c) That it bore any resemblance to the AmigaOS that we know and love!

In summary all Amiga Inc efforts regarding OS5 have come to nothing and it will only be remembered for that sound bite by Bill "It will be better than Mac OSX"!

Amiga Inc = deluded fools who were taken to the cleaners by Hyperion
Put it on their grave stone! RIP Amiga Inc

Last edited by BigD on 11-Feb-2010 at 11:55 AM.

opi 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 13:06:06
#243 ]
Team Member

@Troels

Quote:
Did Amiga Inc ever deliver the needed sourcecode for Hyperion to do the port?

There's one thing I don't get. If my customer don't deliver things I need to finish project I just walk away from the project. I don't do it on my own and later claim ownership of IP.

pavlor 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 13:11:48
#244 ]
Elite Member

@opi

Quote:
I don't do it on my own and later claim ownership of IP.

Then it is good you aren´t Hyperion, OS4 would be probably doomed.

BigD 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 13:14:20
#245 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

Yeah. it shows dedication to the cause, but it doesn't make business sense. However, I suppose nothing to do with the Amiga has made business sense since Phase 5 stopped making Blizzard IV 030 cards!

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 13:15:14
#246 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
In summary all Amiga Inc efforts regarding OS5 have come to nothing and it will only be remembered for that sound bite by Bill "It will be better than Mac OSX"!

But of course. Apple have only released a Snow Leopard. But Amiga have released the utimate Snowman Maker! It's able to create other operating systems! And crush them all! With crushed ice.

Troels 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 14:14:05
#247 ]
Elite Member

@BigD
Ofcourse it shows business sense. Hyperion believed in the project and continuation of AmigaOS. I don't get why everybody thinks that you need a market the size of Apple before you can make business.

A lot of hobbies are cared for by small companies like Hyperion (or Amiga Inc) and even if they are small it's not impossible to make it a healthy business if run by serious people (unlike Amiga inc).

Ofcourse if you want to compete with Apple or MS you need big investments but that is also not where we are right now. Hyperion and AEON seems like realists who knows their current market well, so balancing the investment and creating a healthy business is not impossible.

Bye,
Troels

Troels 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 14:24:30
#248 ]
Elite Member

@linnar
Please stop your nonsense.
All that crap that OS5 could in theory exist and be better than OSX because no one has tested it is complete rubbish!

- OS5 is vapour it is not available and no one outside of Amiga has ever seen a single line of code a screeenshot or just a mockup of any OS5.

- It didn't come at the time McEwen promised it, just like other Amiga Inc projects didn't.

- Amiga Inc "lost" all rights to make an Amiga like OS so even if OS5 was "on schedule and rocking" (which it is not!) it wouold be of no interest to most Amigans.

Regarding AA2 it might still be Beta, but for how long can you call such a primitive/simple product for a Beta release? At some point you have to make an official release but I bet that they know developers aren't interested and thus avoid releasing it for real.

Quote:
For it can hardly be that they throw out a lot of rumors to further discredit the Amiga Inc?
No Bill McEwen threw out rumours to discredit Apple because he thought the Amigans was still so naive they would fell for it. Sorry but it seems only a few of us was THAT naive.

Last edited by Troels on 11-Feb-2010 at 02:28 PM.

opi 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 16:21:10
#249 ]
Team Member

@pavlor

Quote:

This makes no sense whatsoever. In my eyes it was betting on quick departure of AI. Because of that there was court case. A case that Hyperion didn't won. AI's sugar daddy died and there was no extra cash for lawyers. So they settled out of the court.

There are no saints here. Hyperion gambled and won.

This is all speculation on my part, of course. I base my opinion on strange business decisions on Hyperion's part. You just don't get out of way, accept contract for peanuts to port an OS to later extend your port way over what contract stated and do not break it when customer failed to deliver.

At the end of the day, it's good that future of AmigaOS is secured. I just can't help myself from cringing on some parts of that story.

Last edited by opi on 11-Feb-2010 at 04:25 PM.

opi 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 16:23:48
#250 ]
Team Member

@Troels

Quote:
Ofcourse it shows business sense.

Why? You're asked to pain walls, but you build next floor betting that owner will kick the bucket before you end of your job and they you'll call your squatters rights?

Quote:
I don't get why everybody thinks that you need a market the size of Apple before you can make business.

This is not what I said. I said it is not as clear cut as people from both sides would like to see.

cha05e90 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 16:30:40
#251 ]

@BigD

ah, oh - I think 040's are o.k., too.

+1

linnar 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 20:46:00
#252 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@linnar

Couldn't all that be summarised with:

"I too have doubts over whether OS5 exists."

Quote:
but is also the possibility that it really exists is a bit larger than the opposite when it demonstrably has developed AA2 and that there is much proof that it worked at least one person with Amiga Inc. as a programmer.

People might have worked on it but that doesn't mean

a) They knew what they were doing.
b) They had any plan as to how to sell copies.
c) That it bore any resemblance to the AmigaOS that we know and love!

Amiga Inc = deluded fools who were taken to the cleaners by Hyperion
Put it on their grave stone! RIP Amiga Inc

I understand that you get aroused by a little resistance when people on this board is used to seeing them fondling each other on the back. But do not worry I'm not dangerous.

If I shall continue so I have to ask who you know at Amiga Inc when you can trap this review score: "Amiga Inc = idiots"?

A person you may be aware of the house (may not be left), Jamie Krueger, he is also an idiot or is your review score of selective type?

Last edited by linnar on 11-Feb-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 11-Feb-2010 at 09:19 PM.

linnar 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 21:00:38
#253 ]
Cult Member

@Troels

It can never be stupid to require an explanation, citations or anything that says that Amiga Inc would not be started to develop an OS in the house!
Since no outside Amig Inc sphere know how this os looks or acts nobody can say whether it is better or worse than any other os.
Bill McEwen's famous statement may have causes other than that it is better than any other os. For example, raised the interest in "OS5" tremendously after the statement and it does appear that it is most highly on this forum, then a member of time and out of season just to refer to Bill's a bit funny statement. Well, I see his statement as the most fun thing. I do not think he meant it exactly as it was said then it's hard to be the best of each user. The taste is of course very different.

I myself can never say that "OS5" is better or worse than any other OS because I have never seen it. I can however say that it is probably not the best OS available. I can also say that it may never reach the market. I can also say that I am not sure that there really is such an os at all. But I also know that a man named Jamie Krueger actually worked as a programmer for Amiga Inc and I think I can with certainty say that he designed not snowmen. So, the question remains: What worked in Jamie Krueger Amiga Inc? AA2's is not good and not on any OS that not exist, what the guy was working with then??

Last edited by linnar on 11-Feb-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 11-Feb-2010 at 09:09 PM.

retro 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 21:41:58
#254 ]

@linnar

A person you may be aware of the house (may not be left), Jamie Krueger, he is also an idiot or is your review score of selective type?

all respect for jamie krueger and i meen all respect for jamie krueger.

buuut heyy i havent nooo,i dont even know anybody who has even seen an website that was sooo badly manged.iff ther got like 10.000 visitors evry week way in the hell havent ther even used that, i think bill is liveing in the same day dreaming trip that wee all did in late 90,

and as for the best os. the title goes to or will taadaa daa. amiga os 4.2
cant wait for this sommer....

and by that time i am finsih with "cisco" too damm its dry reading

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 21:46:38
#255 ]
Elite Member

@opi

Quote:
There's one thing I don't get. If my customer don't deliver things I need to finish project I just walk away from the project. I don't do it on my own and later claim ownership of IP.

Sound like your not that committed as Hyperion then, they did not clam IP they contracted developers whit ownership over some of the IP, former H&P employees, remember they did not get all IP for AmigaOS3.9.
Quote:
AI's sugar daddy died and there was no extra cash for lawyers. So they settled out of the court.

To be a suger daddy you need to have cash, Amiga Inc did not.
it was well documented there where a number of shell game companies involved.
I also feel sorry for investors they too where also scam'ed, remember Amiga Inc did not even have a product so to speak off.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Feb-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-Feb-2010 at 09:47 PM.

linnar 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 22:03:10
#256 ]
Cult Member

Exist or develop "OS5"?
What are the "evidence" that such developments are being or have been going on?

Bill McEwen's statement does not apply here, we have a staff statement on the matter, Jamie Krueger.

Here are some excerpts from the text on his website:

...and my expressed desire to have the opportunity to work on the foundation of the future AmigaOS and build it hand and hand with the visual development environment ...

...Amiga Inc. either has to start over from AmigaOS3.x sources still heavily connected to the Amiga chipset and the MC680x0 CPUs, OR give up on using AmigaOS sources as a base OS and start over from scratch to build AmigaOS 5 and beyond. Which do you think is more likely?

...While the ownership of OS4 remains in doubt, how many big hardware manufacturers do you think are going to approach either Hyperion or Amiga Inc.

(My comment: It seems in this reasoning that Amiga Inc have decided to voluntarily drop OS4 to Hyperion)

...for me to write software for a potentially competing OS (even personally), would be a breach of my contract.

I'm not so good at English so I might have cut and pasted a bit wrong section from the text.

Source:
http://bitbybitsoftwaregroup.com/index.php

linnar 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 22:06:46
#257 ]
Cult Member

@retro

Quote:

retro wrote:
@linnar
buuut heyy i havent nooo,i dont even know anybody who has even seen an website that was sooo badly manged.iff ther got like 10.000 visitors evry week way in the hell havent ther even used that, i think bill is liveing in the same day dreaming trip that wee all did in late 90,

Is not it a personal matter of taste what you think of the web style?

number6 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 22:19:05
#258 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

I think the info you are posting is somewhat dated.

Jamie Krueger's contract with Amiga Inc. expired last year.

linnar 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 22:55:20
#259 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@linnar

I think the info you are posting is somewhat dated.

Jamie Krueger's contract with Amiga Inc. expired last year.

The information would show that there are signs of development of an os Amiga Inc in the house.
The information is dated 11 June and then had Jamie worked in the 1.5 years of Amiga Inc.

I know that the contract expired at the end of 2009. Jamie said in a speech that he wondered if he would continue for two more years. Since he has not written anything since then on its website, it could mean that he continued to work for Amiga Inc. .. or not.

Only Jamie can answer that.

Where are you Jamie?

number6 
Posted on 11-Feb-2010 23:16:06
#260 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
Only Jamie can answer that.

Where are you Jamie?

True. Only Jamie can answer that.

But although the date of the contract expiration has passed, it is possible that the date of the NDA has not. If so, that would preclude Jamie from answering you. I believe him to be an honorable man in this regard, so you may not get your answer at this time.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle