Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Frank:  5 mins ago
 OlafS25:  6 mins ago
 Gunnar:  13 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  25 mins ago
 MickJT:  44 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 saimo:  2 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  New Amiga Tablet, Phones, TVs!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
vox 
Re: New Amiga Tablet, Phones, TVs!!
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 10:11:04
#41 ]
Elite Member

@Gebrochen

All questions are futuristic (what if) and there is no one from Amiga Inc,
but for the argument sake`s ...

1. Not likely "it has already been decided" and court case was a settlment.
Contrary, this could be seen as direct result of the case: Amiga Inc. is selling name to whoever / whatever.

Like someone said, it would be easier just to make stickers and sell `em

2. Not likely since it PPC and they never had enough manpower / funds and had tied it to AmigaOne PPC brand (one of the points in court case was OS4 being ported to SAM and MacMini). . Highest moment of AmigaInc OS4 mania was promising hardware from ACK that has never been delivered. It seems AmigaInc enjoys no plans but to collect money from other saling "branded products" - easy profit, low risk almost a corporate wildest dream

3. Again, would be nice if they used that money for something real but ... you are way to optmistic

4. If e.g. AmigaOS was ported to ARM this could be done between iCoin / Hyperion with no AmigaInc intervention needed

5.People using those products get interested in the AmigaOS 4 / MOS / AROS, but that is not so likely. Only "good" is e.g. iCoin proved SinclairUK has not too much exclusivity as claimed, and beaten SinclairUK in all promised "Categories of products" pushing them to have "high end SinclairQL dreams" which are less likely to success. Using similar strategy males direct competition amongst those kind of "name slamming companies" (not only competition them vs all other x86 products) which makes for them harder to survive. In long run = there will not be 156 Amiga nemed products

And good is for such people that wanted Amiga tablet even without OS (as seen in the thread) or by making Hyperion of thinking hove to enter more markets then desktops (like with OS4 nettop)

Profile     Report this post  
trans 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 11:10:58
#42 ]

@AmigaHeretic

OMG! They have whored her out!!!

Amiga, Inc has set a new bar for the industry, "Digital Whoring".

steril606 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 11:47:51
#43 ]

What a shame.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 12:04:50
#44 ]

Wake up all, this was the dream of AInc, right from the start, licecing the name of Amiga, the only important asset. I am more than sure, that if someone approaches them, with money on his pockets, to licence the name for Amiga toilets, they won't refuse. Even the fact that OS4.x wasn't done in-house (thankfully!), shows that no serious product would ever come from them.

Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 27-Oct-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Gebrochen 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 12:22:06
#45 ]

@vox

All your answers quiet fair.

Also, Yeah, dont like most of what they offer there with an amiga sticker on it.

However that tablet might be cool to own, Android OS is very nice to use.

Yes your right, there is an article even in the Amiga Future Magazine, believe it was No.92, unfortunatley for me, running behind a bit, finished reading 91,, then got some back issues, almost finished last back issue, 89 now, and will get to reading 92 on long weekend Im sure.

YES again, you are right, I am a bit optimistic, or perhaps like many here, wishful thinking in the real AOS, not a fake like Amiga.inc with sticker on it, on a tablet, would have been nice.

Man, I feel bad, Im still agreeing here with you, haha, YES, as forementioned in another thread, I plan on getting the netbook ASAHP when it hits the market, wonder if AOS4.2 or 4.3 will be on it by that time, haha.

Thank you for answering the FUN questions.

Cheers

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

Gebrochen 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 12:28:26
#46 ]

@trans

Digital Whoring, Oh no, cant be, Not Amiga??

Wait a sec, PHEW, its not a Real classic or New gen Amiga, its a Slap On...........that technically means we are going to see a lot of Amiga Hookers soon!

LOL

OK, Ive had enough of this thread, my questions had been answered and in part mostly represented what I was thinking myself anyway.

Only two things I might see as useful but not necessarily reliable, those Amiga LCD/TV's for my sams or later x1000 systems, hahhaa, to match in with my keyboard, mouse and ppc miggys.

as well as the tablets.

Problem here is, I was not wanting to support a.inc for all thr past roubles they've caused our community.

Cheers

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

number6 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 12:38:30
#47 ]
Elite Member

@thread

New information on all of this here

Some speculation...some facts.

and here

Last edited by number6 on 27-Oct-2011 at 12:48 PM.

vox 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 15:21:54
#48 ]
Elite Member

@all

Soon we expect fashion lines with Amiga sport watch and Amiga feamle purse
What if ladies like the boing ball logo?

@number6

No6 really deserves to be a moderator with all the knowledge

@trans

If we accept "digital whoring" that makes SinclairUK and iContain a digital pimp
(or AmigaInc the digital pimp and licencees ...)

@gebrochen
Likely OS 4.2 with some new features and OS 4.1u5

It doesn`t develop that fast, only huge nettop sales could fund further advance
and that would be best. Well, to be honest I would also like to see AmigaInc
behaving like Amiga company, but that just isn`t the case since they finished OS 3.5/OS 3.9 updates and started OS4 development - seems that selling AmigaOS and AmigaInc from company to company just made it weaker in human, idea and budget sense. They haven`t even delivered AA2.

Last edited by vox on 27-Oct-2011 at 03:25 PM.

djrikki 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 15:57:41
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Mods

Please move thread to the General ####... oops I mean General Console thread.

Arko 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 22:30:30
#50 ]

@Gebrochen

Quote:

Gebrochen wrote:

1e, would this then mean that one day Amiga.inc will go to court again to get the AOS?

Very unlikely. IMHO Amiga Inc. was not interested in AmigaOS, the lawsuit was just a tool forcing Hyperion to subscribe a new contract.

Amiga Inc. got a settlement, now they are free using the name Amiga for computers again.

Quote:

2. If they won the court case ...

Amiga Inc. did not lost the court case, before it they had problems licencing the Amiga brand name to other companies, now they have two customers.

Quote:

would they then proceed to finally use Amiga operating system as their operating system for their products, be it phones, pcs, etc?

Yes, they would sell something and give the OS the name AmigaOS, IMR they officially announced an AmigaOS based on TAO from Elate.

Quote:

3. and decide to ACTUALLY help the Amiga OS and once again become a Hyperion partner, via putting HEAPS of moeny into the REAL amiga and not just a rebadged sticker?

Selling products with pre installed OS like Linux, with all its drivers, modularity, embedded enhancements is much cheaper than upgrading an old abandoned OS.

IMR Gateway had the same idea with QNX or later with LINUX.

Quote:

4. Were it possible that in future Bill McWen will ask Friedens to do a port of AOS to ...

Possible but unlikely

Quote:

5. Final question, is there any chance ANY good could Actually come out of this for the Amiga name?

Currently the Amiga brand name is nearly forgotten and only connected with gaming in the 80ies, mentioning it for non AOS4 related products could be the best advertisement for the whole Amigaoid scene, even for Hyperion.
If Amiga branded products by iContain or CUSA would sell successful, it might attract investors from outside this scene, even AOS4 might benefit from such interests.

But CUSA's success is very unlikely, their products could not compete with other x86 hardware. And I don't think people will recognise an Amiga by its case.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Arko 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 22:43:08
#51 ]

@trans

Quote:

trans wrote:
OMG! They have whored her out!!!

Amiga, Inc has set a new bar for the industry, "Digital Whoring".

Don't forget, Amiga Inc's business was licensing the IP, that was the way how Hyperion got the rights for AOS4

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

vox 
Posted on 27-Oct-2011 23:36:07
#52 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:
Don't forget, Amiga Inc's business was licensing the IP, that was the way how Hyperion got the rights for AOS4

Would not equal it to the SinclairUK and NoCoins cake
Hyperion was contracted to the job with OS, and won the name by hardwork
even got AmigaOne and AmigaOS brands in return So that`s no digital ho`s and pimps

Would SinclairUK / NoCoin success bring more light and investment to AmigaOS4?
Hardly, just because they don`t like to mention it exists, and only IF it was a real huge success and OS got so developed it could become real "AmigaAnywhere" (ARM, x86 ports) by that time so they could merge with such products. So its more on AmigaOS side - they could do it without it with AmigaOne brand and BoingBall (what they have rights to now)

Arko 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 0:16:40
#53 ]

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
even got AmigaOne and AmigaOS brands in return So that`s no digital ho`s and pimps

Well you brought up the metaphor of "digital whoring" and iContain or Amiga Inc. being a "digital pimps of licences" ... well that says a lot about how you should call Hyperion. who made a deal about licences from Amiga Inc.

Last edited by Arko on 28-Oct-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Last edited by Arko on 28-Oct-2011 at 12:17 AM.

neonlite 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 8:58:23
#54 ]

@thread

allthough I'm not a fan of A Inc as most of you (they didn't deliver on almost all they promised), in this case I don't see a reason to FUD this kind of development

this seeding of Amiga trade mark is not a bad call at all

I know Amiga isn't for ex Sony but A Inc is doing exactly the same thing for Amiga brand

just as Sony branded for ex., there will be Amiga branded Smartphones, Tablets, TVs, 3DTVs, PC Laptops and PC Desktops,...
and there will be also an exclusive Amiga niche through PPC AmigaOS development and it's hardware(X1000,AmigaOne 500,new notebook) , just as Sony for ex. has its special niche of PPC based SonyPlaystation consoles(although in Amiga case through different companies as it is)

so,looking at it logically,brand-wise it is a GOOD thing, delivering Amiga brand out there to masses

the other question is unfortunately though,as I believe also, that this PC,laptop,smartphone,tablet,TV branding is kind of...
well let's just say I don't believe A Inc will "deliver" to the end customer(Android development etc.) as they didn't "deliver" in the past to Amiga community also

but KUDOS all the best to A Inc and their branding buissness
I believe it will indirectly help grow the Amiga community also

neonlite 
Posted on 28-Oct-2011 9:02:34
#55 ]

and looking at A Inc's site I wouldn't buy even a sticker from them,such unproffesional site smells of fraud
but...looking at IContain's shop site I'd be buying a tablet or two...much more proffesional and appealing company

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle