Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 148 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 dirkzwager:  6 mins ago
 clint:  12 mins ago
 vox:  18 mins ago
 Gunnar:  22 mins ago
 pixie:  30 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  34 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  1 hr 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  It's time to join the forces - Part III
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: It's time to join the forces - Part III
Posted on 10-May-2011 16:40:04
#41 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
WookieChat is a close source multi-platform application.

Might not be the best example, since it's not really actively developed since last year.

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 10-May-2011 17:08:35
#42 ]
Elite Member

im sorry, as kas1e pointed out amiga has become a "generation ship" already, where no individual counts, only the common sence. contrary to his conclusions, even though very liberal for an os4 user/dev, it cannot succeed/sustain in a longer therm, closed source. in a short distance it can still win something, see mos, perhaps os4 classic, but the breath will not last long. such a fregile entity cannot remain bound to yet more fragile and moody human beings or small companies, to survive. therefore aros and 68k! as both can be easily exploited by the remaining amiga branches.

Last edited by wawa on 10-May-2011 at 05:10 PM.

cha05e90 
Posted on 10-May-2011 18:03:40
#43 ]

@number6

Ok - Hollywood, then.

HenryCase 
Posted on 10-May-2011 18:29:44
#44 ]
Cult Member

@OldFart

Quote:
OldFart wrote:

Quote:
And even if it would be possible to agree on some standards (if there is a will)

This would mean bending API's to a common denominator. The very nature of the flavours prohibits this.

OldFart

EDIT: Even in the Unix realm, in all its splendour of different flavours, which will bleak the Amiga's in comparison, with all its might, glory and resources, this has proven virtually unfeasable.

Eh? I take it you've not heard of POSIX then? Agreeing on standards does not have to mean every part of the OS has common standards. Take AHI for example, it's a standard across all Amiga flavours. Did the existence of AHI stop diversification in other areas? No it did not. Stop presenting this false dichotomy of all elements standardised vs. no elements standardised, there is a middle ground.

The middle ground is to choose certain standards everyone benefits from developing together. Drivers are an obvious choice, most users don't give a flying f*ck how hardware works as long as it does, working on a common, open driver pool benefits us all. AHI is there already, Poseidon could be. On another OS level, I still hold out high hopes for Zune.

In the meantime, it's great to see application developers port their work to multiple platforms, and see application developers help other application developers with porting advice. I can think of AROS, MorphOS and AmigaOS application developers who have helped out their fellow Amigan. Seems to me like this is going to be where most of the growth in co-operation will happen for now. Long may it continue.

Last edited by HenryCase on 10-May-2011 at 06:40 PM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 10-May-2011 18:36:15
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Channel_Z

Quote:
Yes, MOS uses AROS sources and contributed sources back to AROS. AmigaOS has been using AROS components as far back as 3.5. (Colorwheel, among other things)

We are not far from each other :)

amitv 
Posted on 10-May-2011 18:46:25
#46 ]

I agree! Only united we can get more attention and more change to back on the market!!!
We have talented engineers
We have talented Programmer
We have talented hardware designer
We have talented directors
We have talented Designer (see latest loriano case)

Only united we can back on the market

Panthro 
Posted on 11-May-2011 1:18:56
#47 ]

Now that Mac OS has gone X86 I find my Amiga is one of the few real
alternatives to the main stream monotony.

jkirk 
Posted on 11-May-2011 12:53:50
#48 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

i never insinuated any of that. what i was aiming for is leaving the ppc aos4 and morphos alone but build from aros to make the x86 versions of their os. this would save development time and money. then they can add the proprietary stuff for their individual look and feel.

just because they buld from open source projects does not lock out the possibility of having a proprietary product. the only open source pieces is the ones they take (and improve) in aros. those improvements will aid aros and any other os using the source.

think in terms of linux kernel vs debian vs red hat

case in point
hyperion decides to use the driver system in aros but feels it is not robust enough.
they modify the driver system to their liking (or collaborate with the other devs) then release the modified code back to the aros team allowing drivers to be created for all os installs rather than have a different driver for each os.

in this situation not only does it save on development times but they do not have to create all the drivers for the hardware themselves. opening the door to amiga hardware manufacturers/resellers developing their own drivers.

Last edited by jkirk on 11-May-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Last edited by jkirk on 11-May-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Last edited by jkirk on 11-May-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Hypex 
Posted on 11-May-2011 14:47:14
#49 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
And the second they open source MorphOS or AmigaOS4, they can no longer make money on licenses, no more full time developers / contractors working on the OS.

I agree. Lets's take the most popular OS on the planet as an example: Windows. That's closed source and forever developed to be the best. (Not saying it is but that's how it's treated by the world.)

What happen if Windows went open source? Boom! Bye bye Billys dream.

Okay that's a far reaching comparison, but I was just thinking about it.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 11-May-2011 15:39:56
#50 ]
Elite Member

@amitv

Quote:
I agree! Only united we can get more attention and more change to back on the market!!! We have talented engineers We have talented Programmer We have talented hardware designer We have talented directors We have talented Designer (see latest loriano case) Only united we can back on the market

Yeah! Imagine what they can do all together...

jkirk 
Posted on 11-May-2011 17:14:18
#51 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

yea what if linux went open source? oh yea.

red hat
open source profits

Last edited by jkirk on 11-May-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

cha05e90 
Posted on 11-May-2011 17:44:04
#52 ]

@jkirk

Being open source doesn't help to conquer the world. It's market share has grown - but the dominating OS is still closed source - it hasn't changed since the beginning of consumer market micro computers.

HenryCase 
Posted on 11-May-2011 17:51:28
#53 ]
Cult Member

@jkirk

Quote:

jkirk wrote:
@Hypex

Quote:

yea what if linux went open source? oh yea.

red hat
open source profits

jkirk, as you're quite right in pointing out, it is possible to make money both with closed and open-sourced software, but does require switching from selling a product to selling services (technical support being the main one). However, Microsoft have outsourced their technical support by and large, and software is their main source of income (unlike companies that develop Linux without offering paid support) so if they did open-source their main products their bottom line would suffer, as they would have given themselves too much competition in the IT service sector.

Even if they switched to an Internet-authorised subscription model, they wouldn't be able to open the source without losing money, as opening up the source code would make it easier for pirates to find ways around anti-piracy measures.

So whilst I am a big fan of open source software, I still recognise when it's not an appropriate path for a company to follow. Hope this makes sense to you too.

Last edited by HenryCase on 11-May-2011 at 05:53 PM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 12-May-2011 10:19:43
#54 ]
Elite Member

@jkirk

This thread is about join the forces, not going open source. Maybe the open source could be discussed after the parties joins the forces.

HenryCase 
Posted on 12-May-2011 11:07:31
#55 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter
Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:
@jkirk

This thread is about join the forces, not going open source. Maybe the open source could be discussed after the parties joins the forces.

I'm sorry that wouldn't work. Not everyone wants a closed-source OS, AROS fans have nothing to gain from AROS source being closed off.

The best way to get things going with co-operation between Amiga flavours is to accept that you aren't going to see all the operating systems merge into one overnight.

Better to accept things as they are and help developers help each other out. What can users do to help out? Stop arguing about pointless stuff, build a more positive community. That way, when developers do want to co-operate, they haven't got to face ridicule by any side. Despite what OS4 developers say, I'd say the tendency towards negativity is EXACTLY why OS4 doesn't have USB2 support yet by adopting Poseidon. What reason would they have to pass up proven free code that should be easy enough to integrate other than pride? Why would that pride be potentially tarnished if they adopted Poseidon? The whole Red vs Blue conflict.

Hope this helps you be a little more realistic, do think your heart is in the right place. Just think, small victories are better than no victories at all.

Last edited by HenryCase on 12-May-2011 at 11:08 AM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 12-May-2011 11:16:37
#56 ]
Elite Member

@HenryCase

I agree, but let me consider this as a starting point. Actually there are not guidelines established by the parties on common goals. I not talking about something like LSB yet, but some sort of common talks to start.

Hypex 
Posted on 12-May-2011 11:45:09
#57 ]
Elite Member

@jkirk

Linux is open source. And AFAIK has been that way since the beginning. AmigaOS is another matter.

HenryCase 
Posted on 12-May-2011 12:27:36
#58 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:
@HenryCase

I agree, but let me consider this as a starting point. Actually there are not guidelines established by the parties on common goals. I not talking about something like LSB yet, but some sort of common talks to start.

I don't think you need anything as formal as talks, what would you expect to be on the agenda anyway?

Encourage cooperation between application developers, and driver developers. Cooperation between core OS developers is a long way off, but is more likely to happen if they can see the benefits that applications and drivers have had from people helping each other out.

Last edited by HenryCase on 12-May-2011 at 12:28 PM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 12-May-2011 13:04:57
#59 ]
Elite Member

@HenryCase

Quote:
Cooperation between core OS developers is a long way off, but is more likely to happen if they can see the benefits that applications and drivers have had from people helping each other out.

How could we encourage them?

HenryCase 
Posted on 12-May-2011 13:31:58
#60 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
AmigaBlitter wrote:
How could we encourage them?

I just told you that! By showing them the benefits that cooperation brings.

Focus your attention on getting all Amiga software on all Amiga platforms, that should give you plenty to get on with.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle