Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 90 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Tpod

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Tpod:  39 secs ago
 OneTimer1:  9 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  21 mins ago
 matthey:  36 mins ago
 Rob:  43 mins ago
 amigagr:  46 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  56 mins ago
 Hypex:  59 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 Beamish2040:  1 hr 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Change in Amiga.org ownership
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
acefnq 
Re: Change in Amiga.org ownership
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 9:12:05
#81 ]
Cult Member

@Epsilon

Absolutely agree. Given the fractured nature of the Amiga community it beggars belief that each flavour still enjoys progress, slow maybe but progress none the less. The recent examples of great cooperation gives hope that progess may pickup pace and we can all be a little bit happier.

ace

Profile     Report this post  
Nagasakee 
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 12:47:57
#82 ]

@thread

Same here. I think the change in ownership will be a good thing, and look forward to Amiga.org becoming an even better board. Trevor and Matt do things right, so I expect this whole thing to go in a positive direction.

number6 
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 13:49:56
#83 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
I don't understand way A-EON or AmigaKIT actually spend money on this,

After several days I see a grand total of zero comments about this on Amigans.net, so is it safe to say one reason would be greater exposure through more site traffic at Amiga.org? I should think so.

To further support this, Amigaworld (just checked) and Amigans.net both around 70 unique logins per day which works out to 3 per hour. Compare that to what you see currently on Amiga.org. Feel free to compare guests totals as well. The % difference is clear on those totals as well.

The domain ownership I would think is a factor as well.

And Trevor has confirmed what I alluded to in earlier links (Wayne's posts) about the site logo.

There are more reasons, but these seem obvious.

Last edited by number6 on 14-Jun-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Arko 
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 17:47:33
#84 ]

I' m waiting for the big crash to come

You won't gimme something that I missed

Sing dream child and do you hear at all?

Hey now, hey now now, sing this corrosion to me

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

amigadave 
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 18:41:22
#85 ]

@number6

I don't understand why so many Amiga community members (not necessarily you) don't just accept the answers offered by Trevor and Matthew, for why they wanted to obtain the Amiga.org website?

The answers offered seem perfectly plausible and honest to me. Trevor is an obvious "Amigaholic", who will probably never recoup the amount of money he has spent on this hobby. If he is very lucky, A-Eon may some day begin to make some income that can start to recoup some of Trevor's huge investment, but I think it is unlikely that he will ever completely recover all of the money he has spent over the past several years (mostly on the development of the X1000, and now on the Cyrus+ project).

Matthew and AmigaKit (in my opinion) are a profitable company, but I don't think they make huge salaries or have a large profit margin above their operating expenses. They probably make enough to support Matthew and his family, plus pay for a couple of employees and have enough left over to show a small profit each year, but I doubt they make hundreds of thousands of dollars or pounds in profits. Matthew and his employees do this because they also are Amigaholics and they are lucky enough to find a way to make a living selling Amiga products.

My point is that the acquisition of Amiga.org is more about these self professed "Amigaholic's" seeing an opportunity to increase their personal involvement in their addiction, than it is a strategic business move to increase their minimal business profits.

No one is getting rich selling anything related to the name Amiga, or any of its variants either.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 18:50:18
#86 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

I have not followed the entire thread, but I'm sure Trevor and Amigakit will do a good job: I trust them. I appreciate, like many others, their commitment and devotion and what they're doing for the community.

number6 
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 18:53:54
#87 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

I can't disagree with anything you've said.

Whether we refer the "why" in terms of business or "amiga altruism" though, there are many possible things that can come out of this.

People are usually quick to dismiss the notion that web presence can bring opportunities. I don't know why. I've seen it here on AW. Why not on a site like Amiga.org, with excellent traffic (in amiga terms)?

Arko 
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 19:58:14
#88 ]

@amigadave

Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I don't understand why so many Amiga community members (not necessarily you) don't just accept the answers offered by Trevor and Matthew, for why they wanted to obtain the Amiga.org website?

You wrote a question mark, but this sentence was not formatted as question.

So if you really don't understand 'so many community members', you might be not the right man to be an moderator for them.

Quote:

amigadave wrote:

The answers offered seem perfectly plausible and honest to me.

They still don't explain why they need amiga.org and its logos for their business.

Quote:

amigadave wrote:

My point is that the acquisition of Amiga.org is more about ...

Funny you wrote 'about your point' after you wrote about 'perfect plausible' answers.

If the answers where plausible you should not write own interpretations about them.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Overflow 
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 20:09:11
#89 ]

@Arko

Almost get the impression that Trevor and Matthew is Pinky and the Brain.

Trevor and Matthew have posted both here and on Amiga.org what they think of amiga.org and what they want with it.

I do not have NG hardware, but still use Amigakits classic shop to upgrade the A1200 I have.
And Ive seen nothing from their side that will "scare" me away from using their service before or after their aqusition.

When I have ordered from Amigakit Ive gotten it delivered as quickly as I would from most other Online stores. Its pretty much how I grade a buissniss. Press "order". Wait a few days and I get mail notification.
Great stuff.

They make money from Classic users, and Im confident they are very aware of that fact and will act accordingly. It would be bad buissniss to think otherwise.

They have to make money to be able to invest money.

God forbid a buissniss making money on Amiga.

Last edited by Overflow on 14-Jun-2014 at 08:12 PM.

cymru 
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 21:32:54
#90 ]

@amigadave

Altruism and business marketing in the same field? How many times has an Amigakit forum post been an attempt at a sale? Occam's razor puts the acquisition at increasing sales.

amigadave 
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 21:35:45
#91 ]

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:
@amigadave

I did not realize you were part of the English Grammar Police.

Quote:
So if you really don't understand 'so many community members', you might be not the right man to be an moderator for them.

I have received far more PM's and emails from members here saying that I am exactly the "Right" person for this moderator job, than I have from people like you, who disagree with how I perform moderation here. So, I think I will continue doing the best I can for the majority of members here. If you wish to challenge or question me being a fit moderator here on AW.net, I suggest you use the proper channels to do so. And by the way, that "so many members" is really only a small handful that are vocally venting, when compared to the many hundreds more who are either satisfied with the answers given, or don't care to comment in the forum thread.

Quote:
They still don't explain why they need amiga.org and its logos for their business.

That is because they did not "need" to obtain Amiga.org and its logos "for their business", but it certainly won't hurt their business to "support & expand the Amiga community".

Quote:
Funny you wrote 'about your point' after you wrote about 'perfect plausible' answers.

If the answers where plausible you should not write own interpretations about them.

The answers are plausible and understandable to me and many other people, just not a few people (like yourself apparently), some of which (maybe not you) are over-reacting and posting messages that the sky is falling, or that Amiga.org will suddenly be changed into something undesirable and to be avoided.

Last edited by amigadave on 14-Jun-2014 at 10:14 PM.

amigadave 
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 22:02:10
#92 ]

@cymru

Have you ever met Trevor or Matthew? Do you think you know them well enough to make judgements about their intentions and designs? I know them both fairly well, but would not presume to know all of their intentions, and I think it is a very negative outlook to assume the worst about anyone.

Their acquisition of A.org may not be altruistic, but it is hardly a money making venture that will net them huge gains in sales. At least not within the next few years, and I doubt ever.

Knowing them as I do, I have no problem believing that they did it to support the community, with a desire to improve and increase membership of the site (which appears to have declined in recent months/years), and as part of their over-all goals to grow the community and user base (of all flavors of the Amiga experience), which in turn could only help improve sales at both companies. It will likely take many years before any increase in sales from being associated with Amiga.org could even recoup the purchase cost of the site, let alone make them any profit.

Also, I think that too many people forget that Trevor would like to have all NG Amiga-Like OSes running on his X1000 & X5000 hardware (if possible), not just AmigaOS4.x (though that is his current favorite). The MorphOS Dev. Team have so far declined to port MorphOS to the X1000, but no public decision has been announced regarding the Cyrus+ products. AROS, in all of its incarnations, can be ported to any hardware that the Open Source AROS developers choose to support.

I know both men and they are sincere in their passion for this hobby, with hopes that it can grow back into a niche community large enough to support more software and hardware development at a small commercial scale.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 23:21:43
#93 ]
Elite Member

I really dont see what people are worrying about. New owners, who happen to be big amiga fans. It's been a while since a.org has been owned by people passionate about the platform. What exactly is it people are expecting to happen?

Have you seen the news? Surely there's more important things to worry about.

Signal 
Posted on 14-Jun-2014 23:49:10
#94 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

Quote:

amigadave wrote:
or that Amiga.org will suddenly be changed into something undesirable and to be avoided.

....er?
Do you mean like it is now?

Arko 
Posted on 15-Jun-2014 0:15:00
#95 ]

@amigadave

Quote:

amigadave wrote:
@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:
@amigadave

I did not realize you were part of the English Grammar Police.

You will realize that I have reported you for flaming.

Quote:

I have received far more PM's and emails from members here saying that I am exactly the "Right" person for this moderator job, than I have from people like you, ...
[/quote]

No wonder after your hostile censorship rampage. But I'm not afraid to be banned like other people.

Quote:

amigadave wrote:
The answers are plausible and understandable to me and many other people, ...

I'm sorry for you.

cymru 
Posted on 15-Jun-2014 1:03:33
#96 ]

@amigadave

You seem to be a very angry individual. Perhaps you need to step away from the forums and get a grip on things. Losing your temper over the trees within the whole Forrest is not the best way to express your self.

In addition, I never singled out anyone, just the motives. But you are singling out everyone who has any opinion other than yours.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 15-Jun-2014 3:16:16
#97 ]
Team Member

@cymru

Quote:

cymru wrote:
@amigadave

You seem to be a very angry individual. Perhaps you need to step away from the forums and get a grip on things. Losing your temper over the trees within the whole Forrest is not the best way to express your self.

And you seem to be baiting.

Amiga 1200

amigadave 
Posted on 15-Jun-2014 10:45:41
#98 ]

@cymru

Quote:

cymru wrote:
@amigadave

In addition, I never singled out anyone, just the motives. But you are singling out everyone who has any opinion other than yours.

Where have I shown any anger in any of my posts in this thread? I am not angry or upset, nor have I lost my temper in any way. Don't mistake my disappointment with members for anger when they begin fighting or bickering about what is right or wrong, or what is best or worst, taking the thread completely off topic in the process, or being disappointed when any member ignores moderation of any kind and does not use the proper channels provided to question or challenge any moderation actions.

Regarding my comments about A-Eon & AmigaKit, like all other members of this forum, I am free to express my opinion on what is happening. Also, how can I single out everyone who has an opinion different than mine? Isn't that an oxymoron, to single out everyone?

A few members earlier in this thread started bickering about "Off Topic" subjects. I asked them to stop, then warned them that continuing would lead to more severe moderator actions. Other members then decided to test me by mocking my moderation, and/or continuing with off topic posts, so they earned themselves some time off for ignoring moderation.

At no time did I become angry, lose my temper, or any other emotional response. Moderating here is just a job that a few of us have volunteered to do. If you don't like how moderation is done here you can do 1 of 2 things, you can report the moderation actions, or contact another moderator or staff member via the PM system. Discussing moderation actions on the forums will earn any member an instant vacation from posting for a while.

Your attempt to paint me as an angry moderator who acts unreasonably, or irrationally is incorrect and has been reported to the other moderators for evaluation and possible action.

Like anyone else, I dislike being portrayed as something I am not. If you wish to continue this off topic discussion about my moderation actions, take it up with me directly via PM, or contact another moderator or staff person, but do not continue it here on the forums.

Lastly, by questioning the motives of Trevor Dickinson and Matthew Leaman, you are singling them out, or are you just speaking of hypothetical situations where any company purchases a related forum site?

Last edited by amigadave on 15-Jun-2014 at 11:17 AM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 15-Jun-2014 15:38:05
#99 ]

they probably figured out that it's a lot easier to make money of Amiga classic hardware and software than it is from NG. It's much cheaper to develop, the market is far bigger and there's no competition.

From that angle and seeing how amiga.org was always more classic oriented site, it makes sense.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 15-Jun-2014 23:14:44
#100 ]

@Arko,

No, I've been around AmigaDave for a long time and he has a level head. I can almost see his house from my work. You, on the other hand are Illogical from the get go and would not be a good moderator. You gave me the only complaint ever since 03 and I don't like bullies.

Go whine again with a complaint

Chris

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle