Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  6 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  AmigaOS 4.2 this year?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Vistaus 
Re: AmigaOS 4.2 this year?
Posted on 20-Oct-2014 19:02:10
#101 ]

@Jupp3

That example wasn't set by Microsoft per se. There are things that preceded it. Linux kernel went from 2.39 to 3.0, Chrome, FF and Opera bump up a version by +1 even if there are only a handful of new things or just bug fixes... Just to name a few.

Profile     Report this post  
sundown 
Posted on 20-Oct-2014 19:41:08
#102 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Quote:
Yes I know about the notebook but I guess it was an act to not loose more AOS 4-users over to MOS maybe.

It was no act, the project was started & then canceled when the cost got to high for a very under powered system. Better to swallow your pride & admit failure then to produce & sell something that would upset users that bought it.

Hondo 
Posted on 20-Oct-2014 21:46:51
#103 ]

@sundown

Quote:
Better to swallow your pride & admit failure

Hyperion just forgot to swallow anything and never officially admitted anything, except some weird statements two years after from Ssolie about cancelling the project.

Damn they should hire a better PR guy

Comi 
Posted on 20-Oct-2014 22:22:01
#104 ]
Cult Member

@Hondo

SSolie PR guy? I don't think so... He is team lead... and that give him a room to announce or cancel any project with less or no responsibility.. and in the end thats not his responsibility at all... It's Hyperions

Every year we heard that couple developers join OS4 team... No one leaving?
How many developers is in team then?

Zylesea 
Posted on 20-Oct-2014 23:12:08
#105 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Quote:

hotrod wrote:
@thinkchip

Except for that they've allways delivered.

That was actually a good joke!

Jupp3 
Posted on 21-Oct-2014 0:49:43
#106 ]

@Vistaus

Quote:
That example wasn't set by Microsoft per se. There are things that preceded it. Linux kernel went from 2.39 to 3.0, Chrome, FF and Opera bump up a version by +1 even if there are only a handful of new things or just bug fixes... Just to name a few.

All the examples you mention are only "+1" upgrades (as you said), unlike Windows 8 => Windows 10, which is +2. Of course there are previous examples of that aswell (Leisure Suit Larry series comes to my mind first).

Of course there are lots of theories of why they might be doing this, including preventing badly written software that's using string "Windows 9" as a clear sign it must be either Windows 95 or 98 from recognizing it as such (and there are quite a few such programs)

Oh, and my personal favourite, "Trying to pressure Apple to finally release the first major MacOS version in 13 years, MacOS XI"

-EDIT-

(Or MacOS XII, if they follow the trend)

Last edited by Jupp3 on 21-Oct-2014 at 12:50 AM.

Kronos 
Posted on 21-Oct-2014 12:12:16
#107 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

Nah OSxXx !!!

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Oct-2014 14:17:34
#108 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

Quote:
Printing works fine for me

Then you must have a supported printer. There are many new printers we can't use.

Quote:
Odyssey is one of the best browsers

I've found it useful and feature rich. I got used to mp3s downloading but not playing. Funny now when I want to download it wants to play!

Unfortunately it can't print normally to a printer.

Nor does flash have an alternate yet so at times we must go back to a PC.

Quote:
But you half quoted me because

I half quoted you because quoting the whole paragraph is a waste of space, both on screen and in the AW database. But how do you know I didn't read the rest? Of course I read the whole post but the context looked like you were asking why other people have a problem. So that is how I replied.

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Oct-2014 14:33:27
#109 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

I've found that on the OSX versions I have used, that being 10.4 and 10.5, there is always bugs left behind in the final update. Usually relating to network.

10.4 annoys you when it detects a network change and Network Prefs will forever open a window and tell you while Safari won't have any internet until you quit and reopen it until it is all resolved. This is even after a fresh reboot so it doesn't look like the Apple programmers tested their Macs on the internet after they finished programming the update.

10.5 broke wireless. Some update breaks it and you must download 1GB over ethernet. Then hopefully it will work again.

All Apple devices, I find, have a problem with a hidden SSID network. It already records the netrwork name but somehow manages to forget. So you enter the name and password again but it forgets immediately. This looks more stupid as it should have rememberd the password once you tell it the name but no it doesn't! For years Apple devices have had this problem and I've read many a forum about it but Apple won't fix it.

Recently I had to do an emergency backup off the HD from my laptop. Disk Utility said I should backup immmediately. So, I boot off the OSX DVD and attempt to do so, and it fails at the first error. Typical.

The biggest shocker lately was finding that OSX lacks even the simple features of OS2.0 and doesn't let you adjust the screen font size!

tlosm 
Posted on 21-Oct-2014 15:07:22
#110 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

hehe i know good, network problems too... and if the machine are under a proxy good bye ... you become crezy for understand why the machine see extranet sites and dont see the network or vice - vesa... and im spaking about OsX Maverik and yoscimite
but the must crezy thing is the audio on hdmi ...
"apple developer had been say is not possible to have audio volume mixer if i use hdmi on apple machine... i have it on windows on macpro retina on bootcamp and the same on PowerMac G5 with 4450hd and linuxPPC... this means apple developer are not the best and IOS 8 and much much worst in lastest OX is the proove of that.

Last edited by tlosm on 21-Oct-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Last edited by tlosm on 21-Oct-2014 at 03:08 PM.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Hondo 
Posted on 21-Oct-2014 15:44:36
#111 ]

@Comi

I wasn't talking about Ssolie when I talked about a new PR guy - I know he's just a team lead

I meant Hyperion in general should get a better PR strategy

tlosm 
Posted on 21-Oct-2014 16:00:09
#112 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

I can say for sure one thing ... from OSx 10.5 t o OsX. 10.9 user dont see much difference ... but in substrate the change is swapping from 32bit to 64bit OS ...
Lion was the first real 64bit MacOs. Yoshimite is the First KidOS i have been see in my life, thanks to they i start understand the computer become from everyone better say stupid one...
Apple start was the perfect work DTP audio machine for become the first stupid nerd computer machine.

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Spectre660 
Posted on 21-Oct-2014 16:53:17
#113 ]
Elite Member

If one was to listen to Ssolie's presentation from AmiWest 2013 the component that was required to be finished for an initial 4.2 release was Gallium .

Vistaus 
Posted on 22-Oct-2014 10:47:36
#114 ]

@Hypex

My printer is actually from 2014 but it uses some coïncedentally compatible driver. We've figured that out in some other topic on AW.

Vistaus 
Posted on 22-Oct-2014 10:48:25
#115 ]

@Jupp3

Everything I mention is +1? Wrong. Linux kernel from 2.39 to 3.0 isn't +1 2.39+1=2.40, not 3.0

Jupp3 
Posted on 22-Oct-2014 11:44:42
#116 ]

@tlosm

Quote:
I can say for sure one thing ... from OSx 10.5 t o OsX. 10.9 user dont see much difference ... but in substrate the change is swapping from 32bit to 64bit OS ...

I know, I'm just joking.

But the situtation could be interpreted so, that "Apple themselves doesn't consider any of the new features done in 13 years so significant, it would justify new major version number"

On the other hand, version numbers seem to go quite fast on iOS side...

Jupp3 
Posted on 22-Oct-2014 11:50:39
#117 ]

@Vistaus

Quote:
Everything I mention is +1? Wrong. Linux kernel from 2.39 to 3.0 isn't +1 2.39+1=2.40, not 3.0

You fail at basic math. 2.39 to 2.40 isn't +1, it's +0.01

Generally, there are a LOT more minor updates on open source side (let's say testing is done more publicly) and no matter how minor changes, it's always a good idea to bump the version number slightly (let's say, by 0.01) to differentiate the different versions, so developers can easier tell which versions (and thus code changes) are causing which problems for end users.

But of course, at some point people want a new major version number. So does that mean the last minor "would-be-0.01" update should be significant enough for that?

Nope. Generally it means that all the minor upgrades together since 2.0 are considered significant enough. And of course, that the build itself is considered stable enough.

tlosm 
Posted on 22-Oct-2014 12:27:37
#118 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

and the last much worst thing is see Maverik and Yoschimite not released for MacPro 1,1 and 2,1 because 32bit elfi and bla bla bla ... and hacker made it works...

#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Vistaus 
Posted on 22-Oct-2014 12:37:06
#119 ]

@Jupp3

But still: I also mentioned Opera. Or do you think Opera 12.16 to 15 is +1 as well? In that case you fail at math just like me.

"The version identifier 13 was skipped, thought to be for reasons of superstition, while 14 was used to refer to a WebKit-based release of Opera for Android."

So even Opera beat Windows to the +2 bump.

Last edited by Vistaus on 22-Oct-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Jupp3 
Posted on 22-Oct-2014 15:07:22
#120 ]

@Vistaus

Quote:

But still: I also mentioned Opera. Or do you think Opera 12.16 to 15 is +1 as well? In that case you fail at math just like me.

I stand corrected. To be honest, I haven't followed Opera version numbers at all, but then again, I based my assumption of "not doing +2.0 version number bumps" on your comment, which said:

Quote:
Chrome, FF and Opera bump up a version by +1 even if there are only a handful of new things or just bug fixes...

(emphasis added)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle