Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 122 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Seiya:  29 mins ago
 matthey:  51 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 vox:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 mbrantley:  3 hrs ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 FerruleMedia:  3 hrs 31 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Hyperion Entertainment is not bankrupt
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )
PosterThread
BSzili 
Re: Hyperion Entertainment bankrupt?
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 6:35:50
#1021 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Where did you get the no drivers part? I can run AROS natively on my AMD64 PC, with 3D acceleration and all that jazz. It supports much more hardware than OS4 does, like most of the nVidia cards up to Fermi GPUs. People like to spread FUD, because they expect AROS to run on their specific x86 machine, or all of them, or something. Speaking of FUD, most of your list applies to every NG OS

Profile     Report this post  
BSzili 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 6:39:18
#1022 ]

@sundown
In other words, when AW.net stopped being an echo chamber, dissenting opinions appeared. People have a strong emotional attachment to their platform of choice, and you will find plenty of bad apples in each camp.

Manu 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 6:50:25
#1023 ]

I can't say I care much about you lot mocking AROS, just mock away, but this has to be said: it's da-mn good popcorn.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 9:10:17
#1024 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

" Can't run 68k programs without UAE, at least you can do that on AmigaOS4 and MorphOS."

I do Aros 68k runs even on real 68k hardware. I can mix AROS and 68k binaries like on AmigaOS and MorphOS and it outperforms most PPC hardware in raw speed.

"None working SMP.
* No memory protection."

AmigaOS has?

"No multi user interface."

Again AmigaOS has? Besides who of us needs it? The main use is in a business environment

"No users."

Where do you know? I know the download numbers and feedback I get.

"Few developers "

Where are the thousands of developers on AmigaOS? All hiding?

"No road map."

Again where is the "road-map" of AmigaOS?

"And bunch of loony's who think they know it all, that I ratter not associate myself with."

Tz Tz welcome to club

BTW bad style. If that is all people can do, personal insults and attacks

I could see it easily as insult at me (and others)

And regarding driver support, as Bszili said, AROS is supporting more hardware than AmigaOS or MorphOS but not everything. You can run it "hosted" based on Linux to solve that. I do not understand the problem? Nobody on MacOS has a problem what kernel it uses as long as it looks and behaves like a Mac. That "I prefer native otherwise I could use Linux" discussion is Amiga-specific and it would be impossible to explain it someone outside. I do not understand it either.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 17-Mar-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 17-Mar-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 17-Mar-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 17-Mar-2015 at 09:15 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 9:12:56
#1025 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

You cannot force people to love Hyperion, can´t you? And are you identifying yourself so much with one company that everyone that dislikes this company (rightfull or not in your view) that you see it as attack on yourself?

paolone 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 11:33:11
#1026 ]

@BigD

People going on posting on this topic means it is alive and kickin', generating interest and catalyzing discussion. Locking it would be against basic ruling of any forum out there. Repeating ad libitum that it should be locked won't make this happen.

@NutsAboutAmiga

Honestly, feeling sad for people behaving childishly like you is quite difficult. But since you say the following about AROS, I guess I have to answer to you (after all, it's my right to correct your false statements, which are giving readers a false picture of my distro as well, isn't it?).

* No drivers (Most AROS installations run on top of Linux).

Icaros Desktop natively runs, with various degree of compatibility and hardware support, on millions of PCs, without being hosted on Linux. Since 2007, I've got only reports from 2 users who tried running it on top of Linux, in a hosted environment. Icaros Desktop also successfully supports both VirtualBOX and VMware - with the only exception of 3D graphics - which makes Icaros compatible with the fastest, best industry-standard virtual environment available on the market. No other Amiganoid system shares the same hardware support, so, what was you talking about, exactly?

(not couting that AROS also runs on Amiga, ARM and PPC platforms as well)

* None working SMP.

I miss where AmigaOS and MorphOS have them exactly.

* No memory protection.

AROS now uses a TLSF memory manager and introduced partial memory protection scheme, not so much differently than MOS and AOS did.

* No multi user interface.

Icaros Desktop is a single user environment, however a multi-user functionality is available, from a 3rd party coder, on the Archives. I've tested it for inclusion, but decided that it would have increased complexity without a real need on an Amiganoid system.

BTW, neither MorphOS nor AmigaOS 4.x have a multiuser interface, so what's your point exactly?

* Can't run 68k programs without UAE, at least you can do that on AmigaOS4 and MorphOS.

You wouldn't either, if only AmigaOS ran on more common, cheaper and faster architectures than current PPC ones. BTW, Icaros Desktop provides a run-in-uae like subsystem called AmiBridge which adds running 68K software in coherency mode, with UAE transparently hidden in the background. AmiBridge, indeed, uses 68K AROS as base system, so your statement is only partially true (68K AROS on 68K Amigas can run 68K AmigaOS software).

* No users.

Judging from Aros-Exec numbers and posts, this seems quite untrue to me. I always refrained from publishing server datas of Icaros downloads, but I can be confident they outperformed the number of any other Amiga-NC licenses sold in the last 10 years. I perfectly know there is no 1:1 ratio between downloads and userbase, however our active users are increasing over time.

* Few developers.

Their number changes over times. I miss, however, where all these millions OS4 developers are.

* No road map.

We're smarter. We have GPS. Thanks.

Gebrochen 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 11:57:08
#1027 ]

@paolone

If it helps, my two cents worth, I did manage to run AROS on my netbook, along side 7 other operating systems, it took me a damn while however to figure out how to get it working.

This is my main issue with AROS in regards to installation, the installation itself is easy, but if you have other operating systems running with AROS, then suddenly you have to read up on a whole bunch of stuff and become like a Tech guy.

Of which upon learning all that, found it was best and easiest to install AROS onto an SD card, that way I should only ever have to edit a linux startup file to get it running as an optional OS at start on multiple systems if I so please.

Now, some Linux distros I tried were DAMN Hard to allow to edit the start up file to add AROS within it. I found it best to install Open SUSE as last linux distro, just to make sure the process is easier in my future endeavours.

Was Running :
Haiko
BeOS
Linux Mint
Ubuntu
Linux arch something
Linux Ultimate Edition
Linux Debian

Basically, after all that effort, to then chuck on 4 gb worth of ADFs to then realise I now have to try and work out why UAE is not running correctly frustrated me too much.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I do like that

Its x86 based , duh.
Foremost it does look nice and functions nice once one finally get into the OS itself.
Customizable it is indeed, another good feature.
Programs wise,still limited, but I hear and read that its still growing, nice

To keep it short, I suppose my only frustration is when installing it along side other OS's mainly.

So overall, I do find AROS interface nice, but would LOVE to see more action on the platform that may make it become more useable and stable for non geeks and general computer users, this is inclusive of software options.

P.S. As for Amiga OS, hope it still gets continued in future, as the community would not be the same without having the THREE different main versions of Amiga styled OS's.

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 12:45:02
#1028 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

@OlafS25

Sorry Olaf25 I always forget about 680x0 branch of AROS.

The thing is when you guys are taking smack about AmigaOS, and Hyperion, blind followers and so on, you forget that your alternative is not any better.

Your guess are shooting your self's in the foot, and every one see's it.

Quote:

I'm not insulting anyone it’s a fact.

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=12571#forumpost12571

O1i "memory protection with current
AmigaOS API is not possible."

Clearly that is not true, see paolone comment about memory protection, the same thing has been repeatedly been posted on AmigaWorld and other places, yet only when I tell you AROS do not have memory protection you respond and tell that you have it, so do you or don't you.

And yes the same kind memory protection AmigaOS has so.
Again we see nikolaos stating it as fact that MP is not possible.

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=compact&type=&topic_id=7569&forum=4

I can find many examples, of people who think they know what is possible or not.

Sure there are ignorant people in all camps, but let us say, when it befits AROS camp, MP does not exist in AmigaOS, and when I'm telling you that MP does not exist in AROS, it suddenly exist.

Is not that strange?

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Mar-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Mar-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Massi 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 13:03:40
#1029 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

I noticed that first you act like destabilizing then you see insults everywhere ...

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 13:10:00
#1030 ]
Elite Member

@Massi

thanx for the tip

welcome to club to you too

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 13:16:18
#1031 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Who wrote that real MP with current API is possible?

Not even SMP is possible without heavy changes in the API and for sure it would be breaking compatibility to old software

and 64bit either is not possible without breaking compatibility

That is one of the reasons (next to supporting different ISAs) why AROS is using UAE for integrating 68k. Something that the MorphOS devs also have announced IF they would change ISA.

Paolone wrote that AROS is on same level regarding MP as MorphOS or AmigaOS. There are often claims that it lags behind years, worst "20 years" and that has nothing to do with the real situation.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 13:17:10
#1032 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

Quote:
BTW, neither MorphOS nor AmigaOS 4.x have a multiuser interface, so what's your point exactly?

Well the point is now AROS supports (saimon69) have spent 52 pages; taking about how useless Hyperion, how you hope it go under, but you guess cannot even look yourself in the mirror and realize that AROS is as dead end.

It does not really matter if x64, x86, ARM, PowerPC. It is not the problem. AROS cannot compete with Windows, MacOSX or Linux, it want become the next Gaming OS, it will not become the next Network security OS, it will not become the next Desktop OS, not any of that.

And it's not Hyperion's fully that you have not been able to do anything but hype AROS.

Now you spend your time, trying to convince the AmigaOS supports that we were fools, to support Hyperion, that we were blind, not seeing how this might end, and telling everyone that your product is so much better. When it really is not.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 13:22:14
#1033 ]
Elite Member

@Massi

"loony"

there were people already banned for much less in my view

You can discuss and disagree but not with such wording

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 13:25:11
#1034 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

But are you not crazy for spending all this time on topic that does not interest you.

Quote:
there were people already banned for much less

Actually the moderators have been really tolerant on this forum, you guys have been allowed to call AmigaOS4 user BAF's and blind for years.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Mar-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Mar-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Mar-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Mar-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Mar-2015 at 01:27 PM.

itix 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 13:28:13
#1035 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

O1i "memory protection with current
AmigaOS API is not possible."

Clearly that is not true, see paolone comment about memory protection, the same thing has been repeatedly been posted on AmigaWorld and other places, yet only when I tell you AROS do not have memory protection you respond and tell that you have it, so do you or don't you.

O1i is right. Paolone is right too, because he said it has partial memory protection. What it does.

Massi 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 13:34:37
#1036 ]
Cult Member

@paolone

Quote:
* Few developers.

Quote:
I miss, however, where all these millions OS4 developers are.

You incidentally found one and I am not a rare living being nor the only one in this forum.

While I can' t say much about the real number of active OS4 developers, I can state they are very skillful and dedicated.

Last edited by Massi on 17-Mar-2015 at 01:50 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 13:55:49
#1037 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

is it impossible to admit that you went too far by your wording?

we are all "crazy" because we are "wasting" time on a hobby. And where have I written what you are now implying on me?

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 13:58:12
#1038 ]
Elite Member

@Massi

oh boy

you should have the last word now

Massi 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 14:05:19
#1039 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Come on

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 17-Mar-2015 14:06:44
#1040 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Is it impossible to admit that you went too far by your wording?

I don't see looney as positive or negative word, for most part I associate it with looney tunes.

Just to be clear I'm trying to describe the behavior of some people here, not to insult.

There is definitely some cartoonish about video posted by Cheese.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=39913&forum=14&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0#751488

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Mar-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Mar-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 17-Mar-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle