Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 janelancy:  56 secs ago
 -Sam-:  9 mins ago
 RobertB:  33 mins ago
 Gunnar:  44 mins ago
 OlafS25:  52 mins ago
 pixie:  53 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 blmara:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 miggymac:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Hyperion Entertainment is not bankrupt
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: Hyperion Entertainment bankrupt?
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 7:51:58
#1601 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
Since 2010 the AmigaOS 4 could have been ported to literally anything. A n y t h i n g.

They choose A1-500 and A1-X1000.

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 9:16:12
#1602 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

A better idea than letting people pirate a copy for use on a x86 machine!

agami 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 9:21:28
#1603 ]

@BigD

Quote:

Better for whom?

pavlor 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 9:25:01
#1604 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

Someone, who would pirate OS4 on x86, wouldn“t certainly buy AmigaOne. Me, I payed for both 4.1 Classic and 4.1 FE Classic and will certainly buy also 4.2 - when released.

BigD 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 9:31:40
#1605 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
Someone, who would pirate OS4 on x86, wouldn“t certainly buy AmigaOne.

Exactly, and since the survival of the AmigaOS platform is intertwined with the success of the AmigaOne hardware, I have no sympathy for people that simply want to spend £30 on AmigaOS FE on their Windoze box. If we don't support A-EON and ACube then AmigaOS has no future. There is not enough money in software sales to keep Hyperion alive never mind A-EON, ACube and AmigaKit! Apple give their OS away free so they understand that the healthy margins are made on custom/bespoke hardware not OS software these days!

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 9:33:09
#1606 ]
Cult Member

@megol

Quote:

megol wrote:
@Nibunnoichi

Nope not trying to make fun of you, don't know why you think so?
What I tried to say is that the reactions by AOS4 fans against AROS, MOS etc. is equally childish. Then there are those (from both "sides") that can discuss things as grown ups. If you did try to portrait only the "anti-AOS4" as childish well - then you are childish too, if not - you're not.

There are "strange" people everywhere i'm not denying this, it's just that lately the anti-OS4 brigade has been louder than the pro-OS4, and reading tens of pages of people basically addressing you as a moron, is quite tiring.

pavlor 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 9:46:27
#1607 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
I have no sympathy for people that simply want to spend £30 on AmigaOS FE on their Windoze box.

I don“t share your opinion. Without WinUAE support for PowerPC, I wouldn“t spend 150+ EUR on OS4. I can“t afford hardware with price two times higher than my net monthly salary.

BigD 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 9:49:14
#1608 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Fine, you don't agree, but please accept that without quite a few Amigans investing in new AmigaOne machines A-EON, ACube, AmigaKit as well as Hyperion face a bleak future.

amigakit 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 10:02:00
#1609 ]
Amiga Kit

@BigD

Quote:
There is not enough money in software sales to keep Hyperion alive never mind A-EON, ACube and AmigaKit!

This is true at the moment. A-EON is working to slowly build up momentum in software development. At the moment all the projects are making a loss including RadeonHD and Warp3D, but slowly with every sale, the initial investment gets paid off and the break-even point can be reached.

With each licence sold on AMIStore for software, A-EON can get closer to re-investing the funds in the next round of software development upgrades. As our software base in terms of quality and functionality gets closer to mainstream computing, we can attract more developers to contribute.

However the amount of investment required in software development is a significant burden to any small company, so A-EON is thankful to the many users who have already made AMIStore a success so far.

Kronos 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 10:03:26
#1610 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

You mean even bleaker than having to pull eachother back from bankruptsy ???

If and I really mean "if" Hyperion had the manpower/will/talent to make a proper x86-AmigaOS (not just emulated in a very restricted envoiremnet like UAE) than they would have much larger audience to whom they could sell that OS to.

Sure there will be piracy, but the numbers of sold lincences would still be higher than now with the 1000-3000$ dongles attached.

If ACube/AEon's buisness model would fail under these circumstances than that would just prove them flawed.

BigD 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 10:15:27
#1611 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:
Sure there will be piracy, but the numbers of sold lincences would still be higher than now with the 1000-3000$ dongles attached.

You simply don't know that. Would the increased interest from x86 users balance the porting cost and lack of compatibility with 68k applications? I doubt it. If people really wanted to support AmigaOS they would invest in the hardware too. Right now PPC is STILL the best option and we have the best chance at SMT and Gallium 3D support right now on this CPU type and x86 would make no difference to that and may actually make it worse in the short term. What the haters are talking about is how angry they are at not being able to easily try out AmigaOS without investing and that is why I think there is a case for a AmigaOS Lite version for the Raspberry Pi. The potential market of software and hardware hobby types would be exposed to the OS and could make an informed decision on whether to invest in AmigaOne hardware. Also, x86 lovers could surely bring themselves to part with the £30 to buy the Raspberry Pi to try out AmigaOS.

In the medium to long term the x86 owning Amiga fans can either additionally buy AmigaOne PPC hardware to use AmigaOS or if they can't afford that they can use AmigaOS Classic via emulation on their x86 boxes or indeed use AROS and WinUAE. However, if they actually want to be a supportive part of the AmigaOS community and push the platform forward it is a necessity to invest in hardware in addition to buying software off the AmiStore.

Stop complaining Hyperion haters and get developing, buying, using Amiga machines productively and supporting the people that put their money on the line!

Last edited by BigD on 18-Apr-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 18-Apr-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 18-Apr-2015 at 10:16 AM.

Kronos 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 10:18:48
#1612 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Kronos

You simply don't know that. Would the increased interest from x86 users balance the porting cost and lack of compatibility with 68k application?

TheClown wrote:
Quote:
If and I really mean "if" Hyperion had the manpower/will/talent to make a proper x86-AmigaOS

pavlor 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 10:24:17
#1613 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Right now PPC is STILL the best option and we have the best chance at SMT and Gallium 3D support right now on the is CPU type

PowerPC is only option today as port to another architecture would take several years.

Quote:
However, if they actually want to be part of the AmigaOS community and push the platform forward it is a necessity to invest in hardware in addition to buying software off the AmiStore.

No notebook, no insane investement from me... This year, I will buy some titles from AmiStore (PPaint, SketchBlock and probably also other). It may take some time as I“m still learning how to buy via internet.

BigD 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 10:29:32
#1614 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:
No notebook, no insane investement from me...

Fair enough, I would prefer a laptop myself and at a cheaper price. However, I'm under no illusion that should the new wave of AmigaOne machines not sell well then we only have our selves to blame if the whole AmigaOS infrastructure comes crashing down. A-EON and ACube are making good hardware to support AmigaOS and in turn we need to support those companies to keep the development going! I can't afford it now either but I buy Classic hardware/software from AmigaKit when I can and try and be supportive towards what Hyperion, A-EON, ACube and AmigaKit are attempting to achieve.

ExiE 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 10:56:37
#1615 ]

@BigD
Quote:
You simply don't know that. Would the increased interest from x86 users balance the porting cost and lack of compatibility with 68k applications? I doubt it. If people really wanted to support AmigaOS they would invest in the hardware too. Right now PPC is STILL the best option and we have the best chance at SMT and Gallium 3D support right now on this CPU type and x86 would make no difference to that and may actually make it worse in the short term.

You just said that. Short term. This is exactly your only strategy for Amiga.

Quote:
PPC is best option

Nah, it is far from best, it is just ONLY option in short term.

Quote:
x86 lack of compatibility with 68k applications?

x86 is as much compatible with 68k apps as PPC. You simply need emulator for both. Only difference is x86 has more power for less money.

Quote:
we have the best chance at SMT and Gallium 3D support right now

Another funny story. It is irony that short term plans for Amiga usually keeps longer that long term plans in real world

Without proper mid/longterm strategy the situation can't get any better or at least sustainable and regression will continue... And that is one thing I blame Hyperion for, they don't have any strategy at all.

Last edited by ExiE on 18-Apr-2015 at 10:57 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 11:09:48
#1616 ]
Elite Member

@ExiE

Quote:
And that is one thing I blame Hyperion for, they don't have any strategy at all.

If there is anything that we have learned from this thread it is that a lot of the Amiga companies are in a tenuous financial situation and although they are actively developing both hardware & software and are buying up old Amiga Productivity Programs I.P., we need to support them.

People keep proposing x86 porting as the solution to all ills. IMHO shifting valuable developer time and finance away from the short term goals of sustainability, basic office/internet/graphics/audio editing applications and 3D and multi-core SMT support is foolhardy. What is even more sickening to me is the people that want x86 versions of AmigaOS are the very people who are least likely to put their money where their mouth is and are most likely to slag off AmigaOS for having less features than the PPC version when the porting job is completed

agami 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 11:59:00
#1617 ]

@BigD

You don't just drink the Kool-Aid, you make your own.

Hyperion is a software company and does not make money from selling hardware. And you're saying that by making their software available on more prevalent hardware they would make less money? Because of piracy.

How many devices today use x86, and how many of them are failing because of piracy? Recently Xbox and Playstation moved from PPC/Cell BE to x86. And it's been over a year now, are people pirating the PS4 or Xbox OS to run on their custom PCs?

This had nothing to do with piracy. AmigaOS 4 was set on a PPC path back in the late '90s, and by 2009 Hyperion was left in the position of not having enough development skills or cash available, but they did have the world-wide rights to distribute AmigaOS 4. If they could only find someone to make some PPC hardware so they can capitalise on the work already done.

At least 5 years of selling AmigaOS 4 to Amiga Classic, Acube, and A-Eon hardware owners, and recently even people with a decent PC with UAE. No pirates, and it lead them to be practically bankrupt. The official record will be expunged, but our collective memories can't be erased.

Give a software engineer who has done some reverse engineering the function list of AmigaOS 4.1 FE and the function list of AmigaOS 4.0 and ask them how long it should take to cover the gap. The answer will most likely astonish you.

pavlor 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 12:02:04
#1618 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
and it lead them to be practically bankrupt.

Source for such claim?

Quote:
Give a software engineer who has done some reverse engineering the function list of AmigaOS 4.1 FE and the function list of AmigaOS 4.0 and ask them how long it should take to cover the gap.

If it is so easy, why AROS moves so slowly?

BSzili 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 12:04:31
#1619 ]

@pavlor

Because it's developed by a handful of volunteers in their free time as a hobby, for free?

pavlor 
Posted on 18-Apr-2015 12:05:26
#1620 ]
Elite Member

@BSzili

Quote:
Because it's developed by a handful of volunteers in their free time as a hobby, for free?

Exactly as any other Amiga-like OS.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle