Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 99 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Troels:  16 mins ago
 Gunnar:  31 mins ago
 Rob:  36 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 Comi:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Hyperion Entertainment is not bankrupt
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )
PosterThread
eliyahu 
Re: Hyperion Entertainment bankrupt?
Posted on 18-Feb-2015 21:46:41
#361 ]

@imigger

come on, man. you can do better than that!

-- eliyahu

Profile     Report this post  
Jamie_S 
Posted on 18-Feb-2015 22:12:44
#362 ]
Cult Member

@imigger

Quote:
now lets bring a real amiga back with real amiga hardware not ppc bullcrap

What planet are you on dude?

DC_Edge 
Posted on 18-Feb-2015 22:13:26
#363 ]

that is just a hobby hardware.

Many options are available, from free to really expansive, so anyone can stil live this hobby their way.

It's a miracle the are so many alternatives for a so little market.

Also, all those strange copyright stories, all those people that plugged some code inside from Hagge to Hyperion, all those contractors that brings a brick in the system...must cost a lot....so it's a damn slowwwwww evolving process.

still, we would all love to be able to do really more with that machine, whatever the "branch' of amiga system we talk about.

Last edited by DC_Edge on 18-Feb-2015 at 10:13 PM.

itix 
Posted on 18-Feb-2015 23:41:54
#364 ]
Elite Member

@Turrican3

Kamelit0 is actually right. Overpriced hardware is just one part of problem. AROS and MorphOS run on cheap hardware but it is still niche of niche of niche.

Real question is why user should pay premium (permium as in time and money) to use Amiga when he can use other operating systems, too. So often users mention nostalgia but there are more users who have nostalgia about MS-DOS or Windows 95. Just think about it. Those kids who were introduced to computers with Windows 95 are now on their 30s and they never heard about Amiga.

BigD 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 1:41:06
#365 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:
So often users mention nostalgia but there are more users who have nostalgia about MS-DOS or Windows 95. Just think about it. Those kids who were introduced to computers with Windows 95 are now on their 30s and they never heard about Amiga.

If you think trying to sell an Amiga to someone that actually liked Windows 95 is a good idea you are seriously barking up the wrong tree! Before Windows XP Windows was a billion dollar car crash! No one who celebrates the Windows 95 days should be allowed within 100 metres of an Amiga they've forgone the right!

Seriously, back on topic.... Are Hyperion in trouble or aren't they and could this jeopardise OS development? I understand that their business practise is their own decision and you can't force them to port to a PPC Mac any more than you can get them to recompile everything from scratch for Intel x86-64 or ARM CPUs! And I don't buy it that if it was on a cheap PC people would try AmigaOS necessarily. I am reluctant to try MorphOS even though I could easily on my old Mac. OSX just works and I simply can't be bothered to possibly butcher a perfectly functional and useful machine just to try out MorphOS and I love Amigas. I have to be invested in the hardware and software to use the machine.

I for one will invest in an Amiga NG system when there's a sub Ł1000 machine with AmigaOS and a Deluxe Paint Animation Studio type program & Hollywood bundle along with the option to show to my wife and friends that it can operate as a normal computer with benefits (the way the classic Amiga always was)! Amistore is a start as is Octamed, Personal Paint etc being developed again.

Last edited by BigD on 19-Feb-2015 at 01:43 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 19-Feb-2015 at 01:43 AM.

jaokim 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 1:42:09
#366 ]

Yeah, the main problem in getting new blood, is that we've got absolutely nothing to offer.

On a few occasions I've been talking about Jamiga (i.e. regular 45 minute talks) and the crowd has been mostly java programmers in my own age and upwards. And mostly people nod in agreement to the 80's YouTube video of "Only Amiga makes it possible" and say stuff like "yeah, that was so true". And then I start to talk about the Java stuff, only mentioning that my Amiga is a new PPC system, with the specs and so. But that's all I can really say about it, because if I try to talk about why I would deliberately use such an underpowered system today, without the underpower being the main objective or challenge to porting a JVM, I'd be making a fool of myself (I tend to do that anyway, but you get my point) – people always assume that the main objective is retro and being able to run a JVM on an old 90's computer whereas I'm actually just trying to port it to my main system.

I would like to be able to sometime show the real benefits of using Java on Amiga – I honestly do believe they exist. But to do that I really can't show off my over-sized, underpowered (over-priced is really not he main issue) X1000 and expect to be taken serious. I'd need a laptop with Xena, and a snappy Os4 with ARexx and all it's other features to really show why one would want to use Amiga in 2015. But today, there's no real reason besides nostalgia (and nostalgia is not the same as retro in this context).

Turrican3 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 9:03:37
#367 ]

@itix
Quote:
Kamelit0 is actually right. Overpriced hardware is just one part of problem. AROS and MorphOS run on cheap hardware but it is still niche of niche of niche.

I respectfully disagree.

He was claiming that people keeping using OSX instead of switching to MorphOS proves that going x86 wouldn't help expanding the userbase. But I think this might just mean that OSX is, well, more feature-rich than any Amiga-ish OS around and/or the typical Mac user is genuinely not interested (or heck, even completely unaware!) in anything Amiga-related.

Instead, you mentioned nostalgia and the premium factor. Yes, both are IMHO crucial in somehow trying to recapture a market that is basically dead. Keeping the entry barrier as low as possible is a must, both in terms of money and effort required "to try that good-old OS that I used when I was younger".

I understand OS4 on WinUAE means entering a grey area. But it is something, at least; it's a move towards what I believe would be the right direction.

I considered myself as a die-hard fan back in the days; Amiga for me was about having great hardware, great games, and a fantastic (albeit limited) operating system with a community that shone with lots and lots of original/useful programs.

The only great thing left nowadays is, guess what... the operating sytem. So in my opinion the most sensible choice would be going software-only with inexpensive hardware, and trying to build up from there.

Hope this makes my point of view clearer (whereas we're probably trying to say similar things - it might be a language issue on my side so I apologize in advance)

recedent 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 9:06:50
#368 ]

@BigD

Quote:
I am reluctant to try MorphOS even though I could easily on my old Mac. OSX just works and I simply can't be bothered to possibly butcher a perfectly functional and useful machine just to try out MorphOS and I love Amigas.

But you know you can try out MorphOS without any butchering? It boots straight from the boot CD. Moreover, you can install the OS on some removable media (external HDD, or even a flash drive) and save the "perfectly working and functional OSX install". Or you could repartition the drive using this tutorial...

vidarh 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 14:27:41
#369 ]
Cult Member

@itix

This has been my big dilemma, and I *want* to find reasons to use AmigaOS and AROS more, and I'm willing to put up with quite a lot of extra effort, and I have the advantage of knowing the systems from before.

But every time, the fact it doesn't pay the bills and Linux does in my case, intervenes. I've been gradually tweaking my setup to get to a point where I can try to introduce AROS more in my workflow, but 99% of my day to day work happens in web browsers and terminal windows, and in both cases the available options are inferior for my use.

It'll still take lots of extra work just to be able to even replace my terminal-only workflow with AROS - I need a terminal/shell app that can handle dozens of tiled windows across multiple screens, for starters, and correctly handle every escape code my various apps will throw at it. But even though that's "advanced" terminal use, it's basic stuff compared to a lot of the application needs "normal people" have...

vidarh 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 14:41:59
#370 ]
Cult Member

@andres

Quote:
A model like Haiku, with an only and official distro simply called AROS on x86, with the few resources all focused on that, would have helped a lot more.

That may be so, but people have very different interests. It's just not the case that you could take the guys actually committing to AROS and get them (excluding myself, though I do the occasional commit - I don't have enough time to make much of a difference) to pull in one direction, because that's not why they're working on it.

E.g. Tony Wilen (to take a name most here will know) has contributed a lot to AROS, but he has always been very clear that his interest is the classics only, and hence only things that affects the M68k port. If AROS targeted x86 only, not only would we not gain his time towards improving the x86 version, we'd lose the amount of work he puts into helping out that benefits all the ports.

That's the case for a lot of people with respect to various platforms. The ports are there not because people thought it was a good idea to port to as many systems as possible, but because people who wanted them put the work in to do them.

And frankly in the long run we're still better off because people end up hacking on the portable parts.

The only way AROS would get all resources focused on one official distro for one platform would be if everyone interested in other platforms left, and that would be a disaster given how large portions of the commits are coming from a very small set of people.

pavlor 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 15:18:59
#371 ]
Elite Member

@imigger

Thanks for your kind words!

And of course...

Welcome!

imigger 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 17:25:15
#372 ]

cheers , sorry but come on you know im right ,and to all you lot who brought into there bull shame on you.

you all knew she was going to die , and if you actually didnt then come on wake up and smell the power of ARM lol port it to arm winner .

over priced garbage hardware and you know it for the same price look at what spec your pc could be woohoo , it would be awesome.

were the over hyperions garbage was just crap i mean an os where everyone is happy getting a 20 year old dos game to work lol wipeout , that was shit in its day lol lol.

come on there bankrupt for a reason man and thats becuase rich geeks didnt want them well only a few of you loo lol , ill keep my eye on ebay and watch the sales begin.

Overflow 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 18:15:25
#373 ]

@imigger

I was about to dissmiss your comment altogether until I saw you included the correct amount of "lol"s.

If you just had included a couple of "ROFLMAO", and your post would have deserved a spot in the Hall of Fame.

eliyahu 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 18:15:52
#374 ]

@imigger

slightly better this time, but some of it fell apart because of the poor english. i give it a solid C+.

-- eliyahu

tlosm 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 18:27:10
#375 ]
Elite Member

guys what i can see reading some comments about here and there ...
... just broke my boing about ...
hope everything will be right with hyperion and more of everything ... just wanna ask the ppl that are not like ppc: had one in their life ?

Right now im browsing good with a small shitty Mini G4 1.5 ghz with morphos ... and my G5 Quad with Ubuntu Mate gave me much more soddisfaction than my I7 2012 Machine with Windows and MacOSx.
Arm is good for mobile phones and cina made eletronic things ...

Last edited by tlosm on 19-Feb-2015 at 06:28 PM.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 18:35:14
#376 ]

@tlosm
Ubuntu sucks

wawa 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 18:43:07
#377 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:
just wanna ask the ppl that are not like ppc: had one in their life ?

yes, i still have it. i knew in advance it is a wrong choice and have only been confirmed.

Tomas 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 18:54:46
#378 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm
The simple fact is that it is a dead platform when it comes to desktop use and it is going to die even more now that not even consoles are using it. All we get access to are overpriced and underperforming components mainly aimed for embedded systems or similar.
Even if your mac is good enough for you right now it will lag more and more behind x64 with each passing day.

The only way I could switch to for example OS4/MOS on fulltime basis is if it could handle demanding tasks. The x1000 even has issues playing back a simple 1080p video. Now rest of the world is moving towards 4k...

tlosm 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 19:06:48
#379 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2mx9lmhEuQ&list=UUkb4bw4N19d-x_tn2FXLojQ

@tomas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZCla-omFyA

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

ferrels 
Posted on 19-Feb-2015 19:20:41
#380 ]
Cult Member

@tlom

Quote:

tlosm wrote:
@phoenixkonsole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2mx9lmhEuQ&list=UUkb4bw4N19d-x_tn2FXLojQ

@tomas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZCla-omFyA

Your video links only serve to support what Phoenixconsole and Tomas have stated. The 4K Amiga video clearly shows a game and a video stumbling pretty badly. It's been my experience that things get choppy even when the resolution is 1280x1024 or less. Sorry, but 10 yr old video cards just don't cut it anymore on ANY OS.

I also agree that Ubuntu sucks. I've had to re-install Ubuntu so many times just for simple reasons such as upgrading the video card, that I refuse to use it any longer. Upgrading a video card in Ubuntu shouldn't require a total re-installation and the folks at Ubuntu of course will always blame the problem on my refusal to use the opensource video drivers, which are horrible.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle