Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 billt:  7 mins ago
 Rob:  10 mins ago
 amigang:  17 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  20 mins ago
 agami:  43 mins ago
 matthey:  49 mins ago
 kolla:  57 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Change in Amiga.org ownership
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Xmas87 
Re: Change in Amiga.org ownership
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 11:31:18
#21 ]

@all

If Amiga.org doesn't sprout an Amigakit shopping portal then I would be very surprised. This IMHO would be a good thing.

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 11:33:47
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

What do you want to show me?

When Hyperion announce something people also discuss about it as being a fact (even though nobody can download or use it except perhaps some beta tester).

Then I could also say "Since the support of more RAM isn't available or even been demoed publicly it shows nothing." What so you think?

Last edited by OlafS25 on 11-Jun-2014 at 11:36 AM.

Xmas87 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 11:38:07
#23 ]

@OlafS25

I think it is great that they are promoting the new NG AmigaOne systems. Should we expect them to design and manufacture them only to put them on the shelf and tell nobody?

You seem a little blinkered. Did you miss their promotion of ZorRAM, Prisma, Indivision, ACA Accelerators and Arcade Evolution joystick etc etc ?

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 11:43:29
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Xmas87

even some of the AmigaOS users were nerved by this (there was a discussion on amigans.net lately). I could make some research about this and post it. Easy to find a lot, really. Less is sometimes better. Amigakit is admin on amiga.org now, if they promote there in that style they will make the people leave (and not buy like they propably hope).

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 11:48:37
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Xmas87

We all know that they have economic interests with X1000. It is a matter of style and tone. If every posts include several mentioning of "X1000" including linking to your shop then it is just nerving people. I do not like agressive advertisement, it is a reason NOT to buy something. They should instead name reasons to buy AmigaOS, where it is better, what you can do there what you cannot do on other (amigaish) platforms and so on. But of course on appropriate occasions.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 11:51:16
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Xmas87

what would you think if you have a forum covering different car brands and user orientated (neutral) and there is one car seller promoting his favorite brand at any occassion mentioning it several times in almost every post?

DC_Edge 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 11:56:58
#27 ]

I guess, this is a good news, obviously.

Rob 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 12:00:04
#28 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
What do you want to show me?

It was just an example to show that it's not just OS4 users that can be over-sensitive and take things the wrong way.

It must have been lost on you since you felt the need respond again in a similar manner and turn the subject to OS4.

Quote:
Then I could also say "Since the support of more RAM isn't available or even been demoed publicly it shows nothing." What so you think?

I'd probably say that the method has been proved in other systems, rather than try and deflect it onto another subject.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 12:05:00
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

using a "linux kernel" was proven too. No evidence. You take one posting out of context. If I remember right the view by some was that it does not exist. If the same would have been announced by their favorite company/team they propably would not have had any doubts about it.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 12:06:05
#30 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Xmas87

We all know that they have economic interests with X1000. It is a matter of style and tone. If every posts include several mentioning of "X1000" including linking to your shop then it is just nerving people. I do not like agressive advertisement, it is a reason NOT to buy something. They should instead name reasons to buy AmigaOS, where it is better, what you can do there what you cannot do on other (amigaish) platforms and so on. But of course on appropriate occasions.

Matthew and Trevor both know damn well how the community can react, so the scenarios you're whatiffery covers are highly unlikely.
Amigakit alredy has a fine retail website, A-eon has its product website. Nothing would be gained by whoring out Amiga.org with advertising links, etc.

I'm just glad that Amiga.org is in safe hands after the last few years of 'transition'.

If you're expecting a new authoritarian regime revising history, crushing dissent, and heavily moderating any criticism of Amigakit/A-Eon products, then prepare for disappointment.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 12:11:13
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

I returned 2010 and was not taking part in the long time of infigting that happened before. I could only make conclusions from what I saw (or better read) since then. And there were people not only overreacting but also defending obvious wrong behavior and thus making the whole group looking like fanatics. Perhaps not everyone agreed in the group but these mostly stayed silent. If amiga.org is moderated sensitive there is a chance, if people now see the chance to strike back because they think their group now controls the forum (like some postings there make the impression) it will not only escalate but it will also become a quiet place because most users leave.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 12:12:42
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

they have the chance to proof all sceptic people that they are wrong

Overflow 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 12:18:44
#33 ]

@OlafS25

I see your point about what some consider "trolling" is merely a "honest opinion" from another poster.

But over the years Ive seen quite a few people that openly admit that they sometimes posting just to create noise/agrument. Why? For the hell of it/amusement.
I have online friends from games ive played over the years that are very levelheaded, polite and allround good guys, but at times just "troll" on forums just to see what happens. If they can create some "drama" all the better.

For example; I would never spend a penny on Apple products (but I got it anyhow from work) cause I dont like its operation/GUI/limitations. Thats my personal opinion, and I know many people that simply love Apple/ipad/phone. I would never dream to tell them the hardware they got is "crap". What works for them might not work for me, but thats my problem. Not theirs.

I would be suprised if Amigakit/Aeon didnt to some level advertise their product(s), since sales is required to finance future developments and just pay bills.
Plus, as has been said before; Trevors blog has covered all types of Amigas, be it classic or NG.
I for one love to read about the developments of AROS, Morphos, Linux on Amiga AND obviously Hyperions version of Amiga OS.

For the most part its up to the posters to make the community. If AW or Amiga.org goes to shit, its on us for the most part.

Last edited by Overflow on 11-Jun-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Last edited by Overflow on 11-Jun-2014 at 12:21 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 12:34:00
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

there was a discussion with Ben H. (I think last year). I asked a serious normal questions (like others too). Then some also posted that were (how shall I say it) perhaps not so friendly. Ben H. did not answer just one question and instead started a escalating discussion with those (from his view) not so friendly people. Why not just ignoring them? "Trolling" (not all those comments were trolling in my view) is boring without response. And even if people are sceptical (or even unfriendly) you could answer politely as long as it is not insulting. Insulting can be reported and punished. I do not like Apple either but I would also not go in a apple forum just to make provocations (and that would certainly be no big problem ). It is childish and a waste of time. I have also no problem when they announce a new offering in "news" or make banners as owner and sponsor as long as they go not too far with it.

Regarding banning, if people are insulting and that means for me personal attacking they can and should be punished or even banned. If they mention past behavior (facts) it is not trolling for me. The responsible persons should then either proof that it is not true or that they have changed behavior/attitudes. In normal life you call it marketing/PR. Hyperion wants to sell their licenses and Amigakit/a-eon/Acube the hardware, if the view from most people outside is negative they will have big problems to win new users outside the hardcore (that already owns it). Instead I was always interested to read about differences/advantages and disadvantages but most I found like general phrases like "MorphOS is best" or "AmigaOS feels more Amiga" but that is hardly convincing. When someone uses a classic system why changing to NG? I did not find any articles about that. Most comments were just emotions. And even if you talk about speed. Emulated 68k environments beat Sam 440 and even Sam 460 machines in brute processing power (some time ago I collected benchmarks). Most software is still 68k (some projects were developed in years something hardly anyone do today). So instead of ban "trolling" people should try to persuade by facts.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 11-Jun-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 11-Jun-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 11-Jun-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 11-Jun-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 11-Jun-2014 at 12:36 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 12:54:38
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

There are users who own more than one system. Why not making a comparisation? And of course comparing it what is available on 68k giving reasons to use MorphOS or AmigaOS. Of course there would be discussions (I would also say what is possible with my favorite ) but it would be fact based. Perhaps setting up a kind of website (or a section) that is showing the options with all advantages/disadvantages for potential interests (be it 68k user, or former amigans and so on). That would at least be constructive.

utri007 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 13:44:27
#36 ]

@OlafS25

Typical situation is : Someone says that AmigaOne buyers are idiots and machine doesn't work at all. Or Someone says that X1000 buyers are idiots, because it is expensive. usually these are hidden to text with other "points of view".

Trevor has been called a thief and fraud in Amiga.org

USually these people has not any personal experience OS4 or any OS4 capable machine. They try to tell us a facts wich we know better than him/her.

OR

There ia a "Any SGI fans?" thread in front page in Amiga.org. Amiga.org way would be pop up there, tell that SGI machines are for idiots and SGI machines are old there is no point to hobbying them. most likely they are deceived, they are just to stupid to understd it. Unless... I teach them understad that. :)

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 13:57:51
#37 ]
Elite Member

@utri007

Some of the loudest supporters of OS4 had to admit that they do not own it (because the hardware is too expensive) but would when they could afford. I had discussions about Magellan and the loudest people (that were strongly against it) admitted that they do not have it (never owned it or no experience because just installed). I think it is mostly the case that if people have nothing rational to say they turn to polemic.

I do not defend any personal attack, be it against Trevor or anyone else. From the few contacts I had I think he is a nice person and a enthusiast and I certainly would not have problems to drink a beer with him. But that does not necessarily mean that I agree to everything he does (and I also say when I do not agree).

I personal would like to know more from other platforms. My own knowledge is limited to Aros (and here 68k), from what I have read on websites AmigaOS sounds very familiar to me (same structure, same concepts, same libraries), MorphOS is very similar to Aros with common code and additions like a new kind of datatype framework. It would be nice if people (owning and using) would discuss about that and not just general phrases or emotions.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 11-Jun-2014 at 01:58 PM.

olegil 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 14:33:07
#38 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

The problem people have with you is not that you say your opinion, but rather that whenever there is Trevor-related news you somehow magically manage to be behind 15 out of 37 posts (38, if you include this one) on the subject. None of them positive. The other 22 posts were made by 15 different people. See where I'm driving at?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

OlafS25 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 14:39:26
#39 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

16 of 38... I will count now for you

as I said when people have nothing rational to say...

I will stop taking part in this discussion now because I also see where this leads again

Last edited by OlafS25 on 11-Jun-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 11-Jun-2014 at 02:41 PM.

cymru 
Posted on 11-Jun-2014 14:39:46
#40 ]

@Lord only knows

Wow, this thread went off topic in a heartbeat.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle