Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 CosmosUnivers:  7 mins ago
 pixie:  11 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  36 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  36 mins ago
 RobertB:  42 mins ago
 jPV:  56 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 djnick:  4 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  IBrowse glitch?
Register To Post

PosterThread
Hypex 
IBrowse glitch?
Posted on 16-Jan-2009 15:49:17
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hello.

Lately when cicking on a link IBrowse will sometimes say that no DNS server could be found, you know it's cryptic way of tellling you the website doesn't exist.

Well I am getting this a lot. When the site certainly does! When I click a second time it usually works and gets through. What could be causing such an error?

Could the server or my ISP's computers be lying to me because they only know the "page not found error" and just aren't programmed for real error situations? I've seen a few examples of a wrong error being reported or being told something completely inaccurate. I think email servers are prone to that.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Re: IBrowse glitch?
Posted on 16-Jan-2009 16:05:55
#2 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Lately when cicking on a link IBrowse will sometimes say that no DNS server could be found

I think it's a rather generic message. Here's why...
I'm on dialup which never reports back to me when my connection drops entirely.
At that time I will obviously not be able to connect to any website, and receive the same message.

imo then, this is IBrowse and not your ISP that becomes ultimately unaware of the exact cause and produces this message.

Futaura 
Posted on 16-Jan-2009 18:52:54
#3 ]

@number6

It's not a generic message. "Host lookup failed, no DNS entry found." implies that the DNS lookup failed - more specifically, a call to bsdsocket.library/gethostbyname() failed. Of course, a DNS lookup has to be made on each access to a website (although IBrowse does cache lookups to speed things up) I would think it is likely a fault with the ISP's DNS servers or your router's DNS relay. I've experienced both...

I've used an old Linksys router that had a DNS relay like most do, but it didn't work very well with random failures - configuring the computer (Amiga and PC) to use my ISP's DNS servers directly (instead of using my router as the DNS server IP address) solved the problem.

More recently I've been experiencing random DNS failures (on XP and PS3, not just my Amiga) with my current ISP, so I configured my router to use the OpenDNS servers instead of my ISP's and the problem was again solved. Interestingly, when I had this problem, I found that often the Amiga would work fine, but the PC and PS3 could not get anything out of the DNS server - all connected to the same router - never figured out why.

number6 
Posted on 16-Jan-2009 19:02:27
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Futaura

Quote:
It's not a generic message. "Host lookup failed, no DNS entry found." implies that the DNS lookup failed - more specifically, a call to bsdsocket.library/gethostbyname() failed. Of course, a DNS lookup has to be made on each access to a website (although IBrowse does cache lookups to speed things up) I would think it is likely a fault with the ISP's DNS servers or your router's DNS relay.

Noted.
All I can speak to is serial dialup, where I will see this message when there is a failed DNS lookup, but also when Roadshow still appears to be active, but I can't connect to any websites, nor use irc, nor use my mailer, etc. (which is why I conclude I'm not really connected at that point).
This same thing is documented elsewhere on AW regarding serial.

Quote:
More recently I've been experiencing random DNS failures

Hmm..in my case this is a daily occurence (at minimum).
All I can say is that I've seen this since day1 here and can't connect this to anything new happening at my ISP.

Last edited by number6 on 16-Jan-2009 at 07:11 PM.

sundown 
Posted on 16-Jan-2009 20:21:15
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Futaura

My problem is a little different. I get a "Network error: Connection refused" sometimes on the Torrentz.com web site, http://www.torrentz.com/.
Sometimes IBrowse will load the site, other times I get the error, OWB will load the site every time. I don't use a disk based cache, I use a cache in RAM thats not saved.

Gebrochen 
Posted on 17-Jan-2009 4:26:59
#6 ]

@Thread

Generally I do not get the DNS.

I rarely have problems with IBrowse not connecting to the sites I view. But then, maybe its just lucky for me then.

Either way, Hypex should really be using OWB most of the time, and only use IBrowse for downloading things, if he finds that IBrowse is giving hime too many DNS's.

Hahahaha, you know, a friend said to me the other day, IBrowse, is that another mac thing, and when I commented NO, it is an amiga web browser, he smirked.

Alrighty then, keep on keeping on.

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle