Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Birbo:  6 mins ago
 pixie:  13 mins ago
 Hammer:  13 mins ago
 zipper:  41 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 MarcioD:  2 hrs ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 NancyNash:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Register To Post

PosterThread
adiaux 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 20-Sep-2006 8:01:37
#1 ]

@DJBase

Quote:

DJBase wrote:
@Herewegoagain

Quote:
If that's the way it works, I will not be purchasing OS4 to run on any hardware. I've already outlined why. One coder could get mad/tired/whatever and decide to disallow use of his code and then there would be a dead OS with no way to update or move forward. The only way I will purchase OS4 is if the complete sources are paid for and owned by one single company. When that happens, I will gladly put down my money. Until then... I'm not risking it, no matter how many press releases or "all is okay" statements are made.

I agree, we don't need a second MorphOS disaster.

By the looks of it, that has already happened some time ago. Only that it's publically visible now. I think both OS's are in pretty much the same situation.

MorphOS and OS4 are both closed source, proprietary OS's with commercial ambitions. I think it's about time that *all* involved stakeholders starts acting according to those commercial ambitions.

You can't have 40+ entities owning pieces and parts of the OS, everything needs to be collected under one single umbrella (which then of course can be jointly owned by those 40+ entities). Code needs to be separated from coders. It can't be allowed that key things lives or dies depending on the current mood of individual coders. There has to be *one* entity, with absolute power and rights to close deals with any kind of entrepreneurs.

I wrote a post about this on MorphZone some time ago, but the response it had kind of put me down (to put it mildly). It seems that most developers and users are perfectly happy with the hobby status MorphOS is in, seemingly forever limited to run on the Pegasos1/2 and Amigas. I, however, fail to see any long-term stability and guaranteed development way into the future without a solid commercial foundation, but obviously (judging from the response in that thread at least) I am in a clear minority.

IMO, Both MorphOS and OS4 are in desperate need of some entrepreneurs. OS developers won't take the platform any further without this. They can't. But it *has to be possible* for entrepreneurs to join in. And for that to happen, there needs to be an infrastructure in place making this possible. Something similar to what was outlined in my linked MZ post above.

This current absurd situation must end.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.tomazkid20-Sep-2006 8:05:21
          Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.gary_c20-Sep-2006 8:31:45
              Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.pixie20-Sep-2006 9:46:32
      Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.CodeSmith20-Sep-2006 8:28:39
      Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.herewegoagain20-Sep-2006 11:20:38

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle