Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
27 crawler(s) on-line.
 84 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  15 mins ago
 Hypex:  42 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 QBit:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Swisso:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  First round goes to Hyperion
Register To Post

PosterThread
LoneHaranguer 
Re: First round goes to Hyperion
Posted on 14-Jun-2007 0:08:36
#1 ]

Amiga Inc put that clause in to protect us in case they went to the wall, and Hyperion are ruthlessly exploiting it to steal their IP. I don't see how any of you can be OK with that.

If Hyperion win, I think we should remember that there is another clause - if Hyperion go bankrupt, ownership of Amiga OS reverts to the community, and it goes open source.

So it's in our interests to boycott Hyperion. Who's with me?

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: First round goes to Hyperionfairlanefastback14-Jun-2007 0:22:57
      Re: First round goes to HyperionDandy14-Jun-2007 6:05:22
      Re: First round goes to Hyperionuboat14-Jun-2007 12:14:30

PosterThread
chiriz.net 
Posted on 13-Jun-2007 20:08:04
#1 ]

Not sure why people think this is necessarily a good thing for Hyperion. It doesn't mean they are likely to suceed.

In fact, from reading the document it is clear that even the judge thinks the contract is unclear, and badly defined. That means it would be very difficult for EITHER party to claim that their version is the correct version.

It all now comes down to AI and how they respond. If they can provide the missing documents then it won't necessarily matter about the bad wording. If they can provide the documentation to back them up, then they have a strong case.

I suspect that they might not have the documentation and that means a long fight between the two of them. I think they should now get together and create a new deal. If AI can spend $10 million on the Kent centre then by golly they can spend a few million $'s doing a full deal with Hyperion.

If fleecy or bill read these forums....PULL YOUR FINGERS OUT!!

Top | Parent

PosterThread
uboat 
Posted on 13-Jun-2007 13:58:21
#1 ]

@Plaz

Quote:
If there is not a clear transfer of assest from Amiga Inc W. to Amiga Inc D., my guess would be that Hyperion could argue that the IP remained with Amiga Inc Washington (who is now defunct) and because of clause 2.07, Hyperion now owns the OS.

Total speculation on my part, but a reasonable guess of events if Amiga Inc decides to continue with the trial.

Yes, that is an obvious line of defence. Hyperion have some very good evidence in support of that, specifically McEwan's own declaration in another case that Amiga W was insolvent, and also his failure to pay employees. Additionally there is the lack of evidence that Hyperion ever consented to transfer of rights to Itec.

To that I personally would add A Inc's failure to honour that T-shirt/whatever deal, either then or following KMOS's purchase IIRC. In my view, that kind of bad faith alone should disqualify Amiga D as the legal owners, in a moral sense at least.

On the other hand, A Inc has the argument that Hyperion tacitly acknowledged Amiga D's right to ownership by their subsequent actions. That argument too might have some legs, so one can't predict the outcome. However it's obvious from this ruling that there is now a significant question mark over Amiga D's ownership of the Amga trademarks.

Quote:
Yes and No. The defeat of the injuntion doesn't determine rights, but Hyperion challenged Amiga Inc's rights as part of their defense against the injunction. Now that Hyperion has won and the Judge agrees there is a potential problem with rights, Hyperion may go on to contest the rights issue.Plaz

I'm sure they will assuming they have the money to do so.

Top | Parent

PosterThread
fairlanefastback 
Posted on 13-Jun-2007 13:55:35
#1 ]
Team Member

@all

Some important take aways as I see them.

There was a lot of talk in these forums that the Judge would not even consider the insolvency issue due to no previous court declaring Amiga Washington insolvent or bankupt. Yet he, in this decision makes it clear, at least in my interpretation that he is very open to considering the possibility and beyond that is more concerned about what the term meant between the two parties than anything else. That does not bode well for Amiga.

He seems to be concerned about whether Amiga Delaware is truly the legal successor of Amiga Washington, he questions transfer proof as provided by Bill. If Amiga Delaware is not careful Genesi and Hyperion collectively through seperate actions could likely show the trademarks and IP as abandoned by Amiga Washington, and never transfered at all, with OS 4.0 at the least belonging to Hyperion, which is all Hyperion wants, and Genesi could then just license from Hyperion. Amiga Delaware's flagship product then becomes their Thunderbirds cell phone games. DE would not even be theirs potentially. And at this point DE in essence would end up in Bolten's hands likely as he has an open judgement against Amiga Washington. Huge risk IMHO.

He chooses to use "buy-in", not "buy-out", not even a neutral term, he uses "buy-in" in this ruling. If you are an Amiga lawyer thats a big "ouch".

Time for Amiga Delaware to settle IMHO.

Amiga 1200

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: First round goes to Hyperionuboat13-Jun-2007 14:02:41
          Re: First round goes to Hyperionfairlanefastback13-Jun-2007 15:06:33
              Re: First round goes to Hyperionuboat14-Jun-2007 11:36:31
      Re: First round goes to Hyperionbillt13-Jun-2007 19:21:25

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle