Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 125 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  7 mins ago
 clint:  12 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 Tpod:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 Birbo:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 53 mins ago
 MarcioD:  4 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  First round goes to Hyperion
Register To Post

PosterThread
DonnieA2 
Re: First round goes to Hyperion
Posted on 14-Jun-2007 6:28:29
#1 ]
Cult Member

@madtrekker

Quote:
That would be completely crazy, as it completely ignores the massive value of the Amiga brand. If some new OS people have never heard of shows up it will go nowhere. If someone could actually make a new version of an Amiga OS available people will take notice. News stories will be written, and at least people will know about it. They might laugh at it, they might consider it too expensive, or too poorly featured, but they will hear about it.

I don't really believe the "BRAND" has that much market traction anymore. Due to market shrinkage and lack of hardware and frankly the escapades of the companies involved over the years since Commodore. People say "who or what?" When I say Amiga anymore even people on Macs PCs and Linux. If you aren't close to the market you don't know who the brand is at all, and it's obvious the brand licensor is wanting to spend mondo money to get the brand recognized in his home town even center.

Do you think that the product wouldn't get mentioned and immediately recognized as formerly being OS4?? If you really believe the OS doesn't have a chance without the branding than you really don't believe in it do you? I think they have done a heck of a job with the OS'es "revival"

Also is what you are saying "NEVER HEAR ABOUT IT" any different than what is going on now?? If Hyperion has a marketing effort I am sure that wouldn't be the case.

Maybe if the licensor does do an OS 5 they should start from scratch keeping concepts but modernizing for different hardware. That would show some true innovation and capture hearts and minds again? Is that gonna happen only time will tell..

I would bet you on the "massive value" of the "Amiga" brand. Someone should do some market research both in the USA/Canada and Europe and ask people what they know. People think Amiga died with Commodore and for a lot of people it still did.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: First round goes to Hyperionwolfe14-Jun-2007 7:07:35
      Re: First round goes to Hyperionmadtrekker14-Jun-2007 9:13:32

PosterThread
BillE 
Posted on 13-Jun-2007 20:20:21
#1 ]

@madtrekker

Quote:
That would be completely crazy, as it completely ignores the massive value of the Amiga brand.

I disagree 100%. The only interest the Amiga name has these days is to us diehard Amiga fans who have stuck with the system over the years. And as we all *know* that Hyperion OS is a continuation of Amiga OS, it does not matter one jot what it is called.

In fact the Amiga name has probably harmed the OS more than helped. Most people that once knew the Amiga knew it as a system they loaded old games from floppies without ever going near workbench. Do we want the OS to be associated with blue and orange graphics on low resolution TV screens or a modern OS like that Hyperion produced ? I can tell you now the few people I know that have even heard of Amiga think of it as an old outdated system that never did much apart from play games. We know Amiga OS always could do a lot more but Joe Public does not, Joe Public knows about Windows and a tiny fraction of those even know about Mac and Linux too. If the Amiga name is so great how come a hobby OS like Linux has hugely overtaken it.

Though *we* know Hyperion OS *is* Amiga OS, I would bet that a new modern sounding OS like Hyperion OS would attract more interest than Amiga OS with its dated associations.

Quote:
This would be lose/lose for everyone who ever hopes for Amiga OS to be anything other than a toy OS used by an ever dwindling group of Amiga fans.

And I say keeping the Amiga "brand" name is going to guarantee exactly that. Only diehard Amiga fans would ever consider it, Hyperion OS may stand a bit better chance of being rated on its merits without too much association with the past.

I think Hyperion OS sounds far better anyway

Bill.

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: First round goes to Hyperionfairlanefastback13-Jun-2007 21:31:15
      Re: First round goes to Hyperionmadtrekker14-Jun-2007 0:59:00
          Re: First round goes to HyperionNathanH14-Jun-2007 3:41:36
          Re: First round goes to HyperionBillE14-Jun-2007 11:08:59
              Re: First round goes to Hyperionshastar14-Jun-2007 11:19:15
              Re: First round goes to Hyperionmadtrekker14-Jun-2007 11:19:59
                  Re: First round goes to Hyperionhatschi14-Jun-2007 11:28:45
      Re: First round goes to Hyperiongdg14-Jun-2007 8:29:44

PosterThread
fairlanefastback 
Posted on 13-Jun-2007 17:48:18
#1 ]
Team Member

@madtrekker

Quote:
That would be completely crazy, as it completely ignores the massive value of the Amiga brand.

I doubt the average computer user today knows what an Amiga was, and of those that do I think most would think of it as long dead. I find the thought of "massive value" debatable. We should worry first about the "toy OS" as you say being available to us that could sing its praises to friends and help build the brand back up from its nearly dead state IMHO.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 13-Jun-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Amiga 1200

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: First round goes to HyperionAndroxyn13-Jun-2007 18:36:55

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle