Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 165 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Luc:  40 mins ago
 matthey:  54 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 55 mins ago
 AndreasM:  4 hrs 39 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 47 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  First round goes to Hyperion
Register To Post

PosterThread
COBRA 
Re: First round goes to Hyperion
Posted on 27-Jun-2007 10:46:28
#1 ]

@umisef

Quote:
According to Hyperion, it was completed and released over two years ago. People supposedly have been using the completed (and occasionally updated) AmigaOS4 for the last 30 months.
Tell me, how useful *is* it. What can you do with it that you can't do with another OS, and how does that compare to the things you can't do with it, yet can with other OSs?

As I said already, I don't think OS4 has enough applications right now to make it attractive to people outside the Amiga enthusiasts camp, and comparing it with other platforms in terms of available applications is a bit silly IMHO. Having said that I use it for pretty much everything I have a need for, e.g. EMails, downloading, viewing and processing pictures from my digicam, burn them onto DVDs, I recently updated my CV using AbiWord, I often go to IRC/ICQ/MSN to chat with friends and family, you can download torrents, play videos/DVDs, listen to internet radio, whatever. The main things I miss are a good web browser and video editing software.

Quote:
And let's not forget, your original claim was 20,000 users by now if hardware had been available from the time of the first OS4 release. That's 3 years. You have just conceded that the first year, you would not expect more than 1000-2000 users. Which leaves you a target of 18,000 to 19,000 in the next two years.

You're forgetting those who already have an A1 (around 1000-2000 people) but I agree that 20k is a very optimistic figure. And yes I do think that steadily available and affordable hardware would have had a very positive effect on software development for the OS. The activity of existing developers declined since there's no hardware available. What's the point in developing for a platform that you can't even buy and it is unclear if you'll ever be able to? I myself have been less enthusiastic since and it's evident from the slowed-down progress of DvPlayer development. The same goes for most other developers. Had there been something to look forward to, we'd have far more software available right now for OS4. And I do think that if the gaps in the software titles is filled in (e.g. if we'd have a good web browser, etc.) then demand for the OS would increase exponentially as it becomes a useful tool, rather than a geek-toy.

Quote:
If there were a 100,000 people desperately wanting to run OS4, do you really think there wouldn't be hardware available right now?

Are you suggesting that AInc denied to give license to sell OS4 for hardware other than the no-longer-produced A1, because they thought demand was too low?

Last edited by COBRA on 27-Jun-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: First round goes to Hyperionumisef27-Jun-2007 11:11:51
          Re: First round goes to HyperionCOBRA27-Jun-2007 11:39:56
          Re: First round goes to HyperionAndroxyn27-Jun-2007 11:49:41
              Re: First round goes to HyperionBit727-Jun-2007 13:29:48

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle