Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  4 mins ago
 Rob:  44 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  48 mins ago
 VooDoo:  53 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 miggymac:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 Dragster:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 44 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  4 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc. Loses U.S. Trademarks
Register To Post

PosterThread
simplex 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 14-Apr-2021 14:50:42
#1 ]
Cult Member

@Trixie

I was wondering about something related to this; I hope no one minds my asking. There's a bit of a long background.

Two decades ago, I used to frequent amiga.org. The guy who ran the place was openly hostile to Amiga Inc., a going thing at the time. (That's how long ago this was.) I didn't sympathize, since I thought the TAOS route was a cool idea and unlike a lot of people I actually received my $50 T-shirt and coupon. (That's how long ago this was.)

The red vs. blue war was in full swing and as I recall, Wayne, then-owner of amiga.org, was sore that Amiga Inc. had clumsily tried to assert trademark rights over amiga.org, or something to that effect. I think they came to an understanding, but Wayne never let it go. (I might have misunderstood.)

I wasn't necessarily a red camp partisan, but I was a red camp sympathizer, and the red v. blue war was so nasty at amiga.org that, when I discovered amigaworld.net, I made a permanent move. It was a friendly place, relatively speaking. The Frieden brothers would post here on occasion.

Of course, progress on OS4 was slow, and off-topic posts tend to be very, very common here. That wasn't uncommon on most websites then, but I had no particular motivation to stick with Amiga (couldn't afford the hardware) so I paid less attention and have sometimes gone years without visiting. I seem to remember that the Friedens got some really rough treatment in a thread here, or something, and decided no longer to post.

I might be misremembering some details; we're talking about a decade and a half, after all.

With all that background, finally I'm getting around to my question.

Somewhere in that period, amigaworld.net went totally off the rails. There's almost no useful discussion of Amiga-related matters, and most discussion seems to be personality-based -- well, no, to the contrary; it's personality-disorder-based. What used to be friendly to the red camp is now... er, to put it euphemistically, cynical.

You mention amigans.net. Years ago, I acquired the impression that amigans.net was merely an outpost for red camp extremists of the sort who felt that amigaworld.net's occasional despair at Amiga Inc's incompetence was seen as insufficiently obsequious to the red camp. That is, people went to amigans.net in order to get the latest red camp propaganda of the day.

But my recent, occasional visits suggest that it is indeed a pretty sane place, much like what amigaworld.net used to be, or at least what it was intended to be.

a) Does that sound right?

b) If so, what happened?

c) If not, where am I mistaken?

PS I was recently reflecting on the red v. blue wars and remembered Bill Buck, of Thendic / Genesi fame, who sponsored MorphOS and brought the Pegasos hardware. "No Mai without April." So, blue-ish camp. As I recall, he was genuinely unpopular around amigaworld.net; as I say, this site was friendly to the red camp. He's still out there, selling real computer products to real clients. So it seems that he's the only character in that sordid red v. blue affair who turned out to be the real deal, at least in the long run. I guess that abandoning the Amiga scene early on kept him free from the Amiga curse.

Last edited by simplex on 14-Apr-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarknumber614-Apr-2021 15:10:41
          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarksimplex14-Apr-2021 16:36:20
              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkTrixie14-Apr-2021 18:09:55
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkA120014-Apr-2021 23:47:03
                      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkSteady15-Apr-2021 2:42:27
                      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkTrixie15-Apr-2021 8:48:27

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle