Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 125 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  32 mins ago
 retrofaza:  44 mins ago
 kolla:  48 mins ago
 saimo:  54 mins ago
 A1200:  56 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 1 min ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 RickSkid:  2 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc. Loses U.S. Trademarks
Register To Post

PosterThread
simplex 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 15-Apr-2021 23:51:00
#1 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
And this the problem, when you are dealing with compiled programs, also you have union’s, this will also break.

Oh, I deal with compiled languages, but typically avoid these sorts of optimizations precisely because they're bug-prone, non-portable, and hard to understand to boot. I understand where the code you write would arise, but it's a programming practice one ought to avoid. I'd submit that one reason for the Amiga's inability to shake the past is that so many of its users think that bit-banging is the be-all and end-all of programming. To wit, the Vampire crowd. (As far as I can tell.)

It reminds me of a recent "competition" where I saw the advocates of one language produce code that was faster than C/C++. They did this by implementing a different algorithm, which monkeyed with the machine representation of float, converting it to integer, masking with a magic number, then converting back. Sure, that'll work. It's also not a serious argument that the language is really faster than C/C++.

But, yes, I grudgingly admit that, OK, in this case the code would not be portable because the following code will work differently on big- and little-endian code:

smart_t dumb_practice;

dumb_practice.data = 10;
printf("%d %d\n", dumb_practice.low, dumb_practice.high);

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarknumber616-Apr-2021 10:32:22
          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkamigadave18-Apr-2021 1:33:33
              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarknumber618-Apr-2021 2:09:03
              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkmatthey18-Apr-2021 5:10:15
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkamigang18-Apr-2021 7:49:25
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkppcamiga119-Apr-2021 12:40:24
                      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkBirbo19-Apr-2021 12:50:08
                          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarknumber619-Apr-2021 13:07:07
                          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkppcamiga119-Apr-2021 14:21:17
                              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkbison20-Apr-2021 1:50:30
                              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkMEGA_RJ_MICAL20-Apr-2021 4:45:41
                                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkNutsAboutAmiga20-Apr-2021 7:53:12

PosterThread
vrana 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 15-Apr-2021 22:49:26
#1 ]

Just to throw a real world example into the mix in regards to endians etc

I recently worked for a company which had to convert a core programme it relied on from Sparc to X86. The software in question was written in C. This was just a few (very important) programmes, not a whole OS.

Sparc, like 68k is big endian, so ran into the same problems discussed here. This was not something that was done overnight. I believe it took 2-3 years for refactoring the code. They also had to write more software to convert all the data the applications(s) used as well.

So yeah, it is doable. It requires time and money. The quicker you want it to happen, the more $$ you have to throw at it.

My $0.02 is that the whole ownership debacle doesn't help things regardless of the direction that is taken. From the outside, it feels like there is no real innocent parties and everyone is fighting for a constantly shrinking pie.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle