Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 98 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

amigakit,  matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  4 mins ago
 matthey:  4 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  40 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 ktadd:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 Hypex:  3 hrs 25 mins ago
 1Mouse:  3 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc. Loses U.S. Trademarks
Register To Post

PosterThread
cgutjahr 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 3-Jun-2021 15:38:43
#1 ]
Cult Member

@geen_naam

Quote:

have no indication that the captains suddenly come to their senses and start working together.

The idea is to get rid of all the captains, obviously. A lot of the stupid games that have been going on behind the scenes simply would not be possible with an open code base.

Engineers and/or big software projects do need to be managed, of course. But with an open code base, the engineers get much more of a say in what that management looks like. I can't hold them hostage, just because I own the code - I actually need to convince them to work for me: I need to have a convincing vision or amazing people skills, I need to be the most experienced developer or put the most hours in myself, or I need to give them the opportunity to work in an amazing team etc.

Right now, people who openly despise Ben Hermans when you talk to them in private or people who are publicly admitting he pirated Kickstart 1.3 are writing code for him. Because they love working on the AmigaOS code base and he's their only option.

Quote:

But since when is it unusual to pay for quality software in the first place? I remember having to pay for Cybergraphics, P96, MUI, DOpus and so on.

For starters, OS4 used to include (commercial) graphics drivers. Having to pay for drivers now is a sign that things are getting worse.

And while I have no problem paying for quality software, I don't appreciate forcing bundles on customers that try to push products down their throat they have no need for. I haven't checked Enhancer myself, obviously - but the fact that the os4welt guys want to write their own installer strongly implies you do not have the option to select what parts of Enhancer you want to install.

Forcibly replacing system components with 3rd party products is extremely bad design. Whoever decided to implement it that way - or worse, didn't realise that this is a bad idea - is basically holding up a massive sign saying: "please keep me away from any OS development as far as humanly possible".

Quote:

I have no indication that Enhancer coders are being abused. As a matter of facts, some of them are paid quite handsomely considering amiga standards. Part of it is possible due to Enhancer sales revenue.

Yeah, "abuse" was probably the wrong word here. I'm no native speaker, obviously - maybe "misused" would have been a better fit?

Here's what I was trying to say:

In a sane project, once the devs have identified graphics.library as a component that badly needs an overhaul, the project leader approaches one or two guys (Hans...) and asks them to do some research on that topic and come up with a plan - including a vague roadmap and a list of potential (compatibility) issues. Then you try to find a way (money, buttkissing, hardware donations, peer pressure...) to make Hans work on that.

In closed source AmigaOS land, this is what happened instead: Party A owns graphics.library. Party B licenses it and combines it with P96 code acquired from party C. Party D starts porting Gallium to AmigaOS, which is meant to become the base of a next generation graphics.library, but stops after half the work is done because they're no longer getting paid. Then party E comes around and pays Party F and G to write a custom 3D layer which operates completely independent of the existing graphics susbsystem and run a cut down version of OpenGL on top of that. So, fifteen years later, graphics.library is still a completely outdated mess - but we can build and run newer 3D Linux games now. If we pay for that option.

I was simply trying to say that the latter option is not making the best use of the Hans resource. Apologies to Matthew for accusing him of abusing people - he's evil, but not that evil.

Last edited by cgutjahr on 03-Jun-2021 at 03:44 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkamigakit3-Jun-2021 22:04:23
          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkcgutjahr3-Jun-2021 23:26:55
              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkamigakit3-Jun-2021 23:59:21
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkkamelito4-Jun-2021 9:13:04
                      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarknumber64-Jun-2021 14:27:25

PosterThread
number6 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 3-Jun-2021 11:43:53
#1 ]
Elite Member

@geen_naam

Quote:
I remember that Amithlon was gaining a lot of momentum. Not sure why they had to stop.

Bernie is an AW member and has retold the story here several times.

the oldest version of the story on AW

@OlafS25

I agree re:your comment on the back porting. The best thing to do would be to simply ask Camilla.

Last edited by number6 on 03-Jun-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle