Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 108 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

ed

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 ed:  14 secs ago
 matthey:  27 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 12 mins ago
 fordprefect:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 redfox:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 Karlos:  6 hrs 23 mins ago
 Rob:  6 hrs 24 mins ago
 RobertB:  6 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc. Loses U.S. Trademarks
Register To Post

PosterThread
TRIPOS 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 3-Jul-2021 19:19:28
#1 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
@walkero

Quote:
Guys, don't be naive. What AmigaKit is scared of, IMO, it is not the AA magazine. And this is clear by their move, is that behind AA is Simulant Systems Ltd (https://www.simulant.uk/shop/home). AmigaKit tries to prevent one more store to rise, because they assume that Amiga Addict trademark might be used to sell/promote hardware and software in the future. It is the same thing they did with Amiga/RetroPassion.

I might be wrong but that's how I see it.

Bingo. They've aggressively gone after other Amiga retailers in the past, not just the RetroPassion guys in the UK. Heaven help us if Enhancer is a Trojan horse for taking over AmigaOS by stealth. These types of business practices are simply inexcusable, especially in such a small community.

I've heard frequently that 'our only business is Amiga' from AmigaKit. That other retailers are only doing their thing on a part-time basis or that they specialize in other platforms, too. Like that gives an excuse for monopolist-level bullying. For better or worse, we live in a capitalist world, and that means (or should mean) open competition. If you can only compete by trying to squeeze out cash-poor competitors via legal trickery and such, find a new line of work.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, I'm *extremely* peeved over this. AmigaKit are threatening a bunch of hobbyists publishing what is, in essence, a magazine centered on nostalgic memory. And still their unmitigated arrogance prevents them from seeing how damaging it is even to their own brand. I mean, just look at how angry I am; I've been a huge fan of A-EON for more than a decade. How can I justify helping or funding through my custom a firm that is essentially the same entity pulling crap like this going forward?!

-- eliyahu

…and here is what it all boils down to:

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=44226&forum=14

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

PosterThread
amigadave 
Posted on 25-Jun-2021 2:50:48
#1 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
For better or worse, we live in a capitalist world, and that means (or should mean) open competition. If you can only compete by trying to squeeze out cash-poor competitors via legal trickery and such, find a new line of work.

-- eliyahu

The above makes me wonder what your definition of "capitalist world" is?

IMHO, the capitalist world (mostly big corporations) squeezes out cash-poor competitors via legal trickery and such every day, as their normal mode of operation.

I hate to say this, but this experiment in Capitalism isn't working out very well at this point in time, and hasn't significantly improved the lives of average people. The super rich 1% still own 95% of the worlds wealth and capital assets, while the mediocre rich 4% strive to emulate and become the "new super rich", and the rest of the worlds population (95%) are struggling just to get by, so they don't have to retire in complete poverty.

It is my hope that humanity will find a better way forward in the near-ish future, for the sake of my children and grandchildren. I don't know why the rich and super rich can't understand that sharing wealth more equitably would just make their lives and wealth more secure. When inequities become too large, people demand mroe drastic changes, and sometimes do desperate things. Everyone should be entitled to basic human needs of shelter, food, and medical care. If you want a shiny new car in your garage every few years, you had better work your ass off for it.

Sorry for the rant, I've been on this anti-coporate shtick for a while now. Greed and unfair competition really get under my skin.

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkamigang25-Jun-2021 8:24:06
          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkBigD25-Jun-2021 10:18:43
              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkLou25-Jun-2021 13:49:13
      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarksimplex25-Jun-2021 9:51:08
          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkLarsB25-Jun-2021 12:38:17
              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarksimplex25-Jun-2021 19:02:51
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkQuikSanz25-Jun-2021 21:30:40
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkBigD25-Jun-2021 21:55:59
                      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkkolla25-Jun-2021 23:25:39
                          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkJose25-Jun-2021 23:38:46
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkLarsB26-Jun-2021 12:17:59
                      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarksimplex26-Jun-2021 15:21:17
                          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkLarsB26-Jun-2021 16:05:49
                              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarksimplex26-Jun-2021 19:45:49
                                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkLarsB26-Jun-2021 20:15:49
                                      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkQuikSanz26-Jun-2021 22:48:24
                                          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkspud10129-Jun-2021 17:02:09
                                              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkBigD29-Jun-2021 21:40:12
                                              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkkolla29-Jun-2021 23:32:17

PosterThread
BigD 
Posted on 24-Jun-2021 18:30:04
#1 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
Bingo. They've aggressively gone after other Amiga retailers in the past, not just the RetroPassion guys in the UK. Heaven help us if Enhancer is a Trojan horse for taking over AmigaOS by stealth. These types of business practices are simply inexcusable, especially in such a small community.

Nothing has helped the rise of other Amiga retailers than AmigaKit’s decision not to stock/Hyperion’s refusing to let them stock AmigaOS3.2! I’ve had trouble getting Reshoot-R and a CD32 cover from AmigaKit and have used AmigaStore.eu during lockdown and RetroPassion are great so they’re already on the slide before this. As already stated, I am waiting to hear about a CD32 compatible joystick/mouse switcher that they have the boards for but seemingly no time/parts to assemble and sell to me! If SolidCore ever comes back to the scene I’ll happily take one off his hands instead! It’s a sorry state of affairs but I hear AmigaKit have another member of staff now so maybe the delays will reduce and communication will improve? I just wasn’t thinking he’d be a part time lawyer as well as a computer assembler!

Last edited by BigD on 24-Jun-2021 at 06:46 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 24-Jun-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 24-Jun-2021 at 06:32 PM.

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkamigang24-Jun-2021 23:22:40
          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkeliyahu25-Jun-2021 1:17:20
              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkRose25-Jun-2021 8:56:34
              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkcgutjahr25-Jun-2021 14:30:22
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkeliyahu25-Jun-2021 15:08:40
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarknumber625-Jun-2021 15:10:14

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle