Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 88 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  31 mins ago
 Hypex:  56 mins ago
 ed:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 27 mins ago
 fordprefect:  6 hrs 1 min ago
 redfox:  6 hrs 2 mins ago
 Karlos:  7 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc. Loses U.S. Trademarks
Register To Post

PosterThread
simplex 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 26-Jun-2021 15:21:17
#1 ]
Cult Member

@LarsB

Your situation actually illustrates my argument! I have no trouble saying that a safety net ought to be there precisely for people like your situation. But reflect on this:

10-15 years ago, our government had a fight over whether we should extend a certain program to households whose income was up to 400% of poverty level. That is not a typo. I wondered what 400% of poverty level was, and to my shock I realized that my household would have qualified for benefits!

Let's put this in perspective. I own my house, I own my car, at the time I was sending one of my children to a private school, I was sending my wife & children to visit her family most summers (my wife is an immigrant, so it was quite expensive), some years I was going as well, and most years we also spent a week at the beach. My household does not need government support!

This was no accident of statistics where I was lucky. Advocates of expanding the program rolled out a television ad featuring a family that supposedly needed the benefit. Well, an enterprising journalist dug into it and found that this family owned two homes, one of them beachfront property in a very expensive area. Naturally the program's advocates were unashamed in their outrage that someone had invaded the family's privacy.

When policies and programs are instituted to ensure that people like that family and mine qualify for government support, who suffers? People who actually do deserve the support: that is, people like you.

That's what I mean when I say that government ought to have a real safety net, not a policy of subsidizing a middle class lifestyle. I agree that government should do something, but it can't do everything, statistics often lie, and you can never, ever underestimate politicians' appetite for buying votes. The potential for corruption and waste is immense.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkLarsB26-Jun-2021 16:05:49
          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarksimplex26-Jun-2021 19:45:49
              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkLarsB26-Jun-2021 20:15:49
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkQuikSanz26-Jun-2021 22:48:24
                      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkspud10129-Jun-2021 17:02:09
                          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkBigD29-Jun-2021 21:40:12
                          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkkolla29-Jun-2021 23:32:17

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle