Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 141 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  6 mins ago
 amigakit:  15 mins ago
 Rob:  30 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  1 hr ago
 zipper:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 pavlor:  3 hrs 19 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
Coder 
Re: Eyetech must provide CPU-modules for A1XE!
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 15:00:59
#161 ]
Team Member

@Orgin

Quote:
500EUR give or take

Sweet lord!

Coder

Profile     Report this post  
nicomen 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 15:09:39
#162 ]
Cult Member

@takemehomegrandma

No idea dude ;)

nicomen 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 15:10:14
#163 ]
Cult Member

@olegil

Terribily sorry, date was decided long time ago ;/

wegster 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 15:18:56
#164 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

Quote:
Yes, it might be around 500 EURO, that's right. But the point is that as i live in Norway, i am VERY happy about this news! And even if my motherboard should not work, there is a possibility to order Datakompaniets' new A1G4XE when neccessary, so i won't loose any opportunities!

Uhh, WHAT 'new A1G4XE'? Helgis, are you partaking of smoking illegal substances again, or did anyone, ever (in recent months) say there was going to be another run of XEs?

wegster 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 15:23:21
#165 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

Quote:
Yes, it's better than nothing! I have a perfect advice for any of you! Say, when available (anytime now), get this 1.3Ghz G4 CPU-module for either your A1XE or the MicroA1, use a Zalman VGA-cooler (you know what type. Get any help to slot it on the CPU-module carefully), get yourself the Sillicon Image 3114 S-ATA RAID PCI-controller and supported harddrives (S-ATA-types. Two should do, or if possible, more), install latest LinuxPPC with latest kernel, applications, files. Anything, and then AmigaOS 4 on another drive, then i promise you a lot of power and speed!

1. What perceived reason do you have for two HDs, let alone recommending other, seemingly more sane, people, go and waste their $ on stuff most people don't need?

2. How exactly do you plan to 'install latest 'LinuxPPC with latest kernel'' on it, when AFAIK, you can't run any 2.6 kernels sucessfully on the A1s?

3. I'd suggest waiting and seeing what heatsink/fan come on this new module...if/when it becomes available. I can't help but get the feeling that you )helgis) really should STOP screwing with hardware- if the cooler is decent, leave it alone and be happy. Of course, happy is relative, as $500EUR = $750 USD, the price of a uA1...so I think if that pricing is acurrate, once I stop laughing, I think I'll cry....but never purchase a CPU module at that price.

Steff 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 15:54:00
#166 ]

@Coder

Quote:
So with the miniA1 being out and not having probs and new hardware in the planning I should not complain about bugs in my older hardware? Yeah right.

I said you can't have it both ways. You can't demand new hardware before it's tested and then complain afterwards that it's been released anyway when you wanted it. The SE was new hardware also once!

You have one of the first SE boards don't you? I sympathize with the fact that they seem to have problems that are unsolvable. The only problem that hasn't been resolved on the following boards is the on-board sound and that's not been an issue from anyone that I've heard (except as a principle).

I'm not making excuses for anyone! I don't have to. The question is what were your expectations? What excuse did you have for buying into this diminishing uncertain market?

I'm satisfied with my AOne it works geat and I'm paying for the fixes. It's a relatively small price to pay although I could wait and see if some other solution presents itself in the future. It's all a question of what you want and when.

Too many speculations are being made getting everyones hopes up and then we're all surprised when real life doesn't live up to the speculations. Once again what were you expecting.

Sil 680 Ultra Ata 133 E-ide
SeaGate Barracuda 120gb 8mb cache

Coder 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 16:54:52
#167 ]
Team Member

@Steff

I want to know if there will be a fix for the SE. But everyone involved is dodging that question. And yes I don't like the way the XE repairs are handled. I mean paying for it. Eyetech should have just said, hey look we don't have the money for it. That is called being honest. And frankly I am not all that happy with the way Eyetech is handeling that stuff.

Quote:
Once again what were you expecting.

Honest and decent business. Not this. I bet that if Eyetech called all the AmigaOne owners tomorrow and told them to pay an extra 100 Euro everyone would. I understand that complaining might make things worse but c'mon this has gone far enough. If you and others are happy the way they are doing business that so be it. I am not.

Quote:
I'm not making excuses for anyone! I don't have to. The question is what were your expectations? What excuse did you have for buying into this diminishing uncertain market?

Well it is not about expectations but about doing the things right. And Eyetech is making a fool out of itself. But hey it's the Amiga market and I should not complain so much. Yadayadyad bla bla frikidikie do. I guess some people are just shiny happy people no matter what.

OS4, now you are talking about something excellent.

Coder

A3000T 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 21:12:09
#168 ]
Cult Member

@Helgis

> 1.3Ghz Motorola 7447A G4 CPU-module. Price will be around 4995 NOK with
> MVA included! Yes, a bit expensive but definitely worth it!

That is good news. I would have prefered a faster one or a dual CPU module, but this one is also OK. The 7447A has twice a much L2 cache as the 7455 I have now and it runs at more MHz, so it would make my A1 a lot faster.

I don't find it that expensive. I had to pay a lot more for my CyberstormPPC board.

> and just replace the CPU with the 1.3Ghz G4 CPU-module, then with a
> Zalman VGA-cooler, the one so many of you mentioned! Even more important,
> NO OVERCLOCKING at all!!!

You previous CPU died because you messed with the heatsink (not because you overclocked it), and now you plan on messing with the cooler again? Don't blame it on me if it falls off again.

Kind regards,

Dennis

CodeSmith 
Posted on 1-Mar-2005 4:29:15
#169 ]
Elite Member

@Coder

Actually, I've just been reading the discussion that this topic spawned off at ann.lu, and it turns out that Freescale is selling Pegasos CPU cards with similar specs for $199. My question is, why doesn't someone sell Pegasos to A1 CPU card adapters? Since it's going to be a one-off thing and it will save me at least $450, I'd be willing to pay a fair bit for one.

Hmmm, I wonder if Jens Schoenfeld is listening... this is the kind of thing he's really good at, and I bet he'd throw in a SID socket and clock port at no extra charge

Bodie 
Posted on 1-Mar-2005 4:36:56
#170 ]

@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:

Hmmm, I wonder if Jens Schoenfeld is listening... this is the kind of thing he's really good at, and I bet he'd throw in a SID socket and clock port at no extra charge

Seeing a low cost/ low power PPC board from him would be even better . IMHO of course .

CodeSmith 
Posted on 1-Mar-2005 4:49:27
#171 ]
Elite Member

@Bodie

No kidding.

Thinking more about the idea of an adaptor card, it really makes sense. Since Freescale is selling the CPU cards, it legitimizes the design a great deal. I'm sure that anyone who took on the project would have no trouble getting the necessary specs from Freescale (it means more CPUs sold for them). The A1 side of the story, I guess that depends on whether mai logic wants to be the only game in town as far as Teron-compatible CPU cards are concerned.

terrahwk 
Posted on 1-Mar-2005 6:41:07
#172 ]

@Coder

Quote:
Quote:
500EUR give or take

Sweet lord!

Coder

My GVP A1230-II with Squirrell SCSI card and 8MB RAM cost about $1300AUD when I bought it.. :) And I didn't regret it at the time - it's all a matter of perspective (or perhaps a lack or perspective, depending on what side of the fence you stand

500EUR is about $837AUD, therefore it's a bargain by comparison!

Samwel 
Posted on 1-Mar-2005 6:55:00
#173 ]
Elite Member

Why can't someone make a deal with one of the Apple MEGarray
upgrade card developers so they can fix one of their current
ones??? It must be cheaper then making an all new?
Plus they have the apple sales in their back lowering the prices
for components.

/Harry

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

yuvee 
Re: Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Posted on 1-Mar-2005 14:53:05
#174 ]

@Helgis

I have been trying to contact Eyetech all day and their website is down. Any reasons why ?

yuvee

Coder 
Posted on 1-Mar-2005 14:59:30
#175 ]
Team Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:

That would be cool. I had a few contacts with him by mail and he is a fast responder. That alone is worth a lot.

Coder

Coder 
Posted on 1-Mar-2005 15:04:38
#176 ]
Team Member

@terrahwk

Quote:
My GVP A1230-II with Squirrell SCSI card and 8MB RAM cost about $1300AUD when I bought it.. :) And I didn't regret it at the time - it's all a matter of perspective (or perhaps a lack or perspective, depending on what side of the fence you stand

Oh I would pay for certain things anything. If the device is great, the seller/creator it is all worth it.

Coder

Coder 
Re: Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Posted on 1-Mar-2005 15:07:34
#177 ]
Team Member

@yuvee

The website might be just a glitch. It happens.

By the way:

Coder

Kronos 
Posted on 1-Mar-2005 15:15:37
#178 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:

.....Freescale is selling Pegasos CPU cards with similar specs for $199. My question is, why doesn't someone sell Pegasos to A1 CPU card adapters?

Well, the good thing about the Peg-CPU-card is that it is just a PCB, no fancy slots or sockets. Makes a small production feasable.

Now for an adaptor you would need a SlotA/Slot1 and a MegArray-plug (or whatever it is called). While the actual parts may be reasonable cheap, putting them on the PCB in small numbers (and we would be talking about something between 50 and 200 units) ain't. Also don't forget that such a construct would cause place-problems,and that signals will suffer from it. It might even be that a CPU desined for a Marvell-NB is in some small details incompatible from a MAI-NB, so you would need glue-logic.

Possible ? Yes ! A way for the stingy ? Unlikely

Doing a dedicated MegArray-G4-modul would be a better idea, but where to source the 1.xGHz G4 at a reasonable price in small numbers.

Anonymous 
Posted on 1-Mar-2005 15:39:21
# ]

@Helgis

Quote:

Helgis wrote:
@samo79

use a Zalman VGA-cooler (you know what type.

Is this the one you mean?

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=71&code=014

That is a great cooler, I have one of those myself! Some people use these to cool down their Pegasos 1GHz CPU's without a fan at all to make the computer more silent. They say it works fine if you have a proper, normal air flow inside the case.

When I got my Pegasos G4 CPU-card I was first a little disturbed by the fan noise. The first batch of G4 CPU cards for the Pegasos 2 had a noisy fan, but this was replaced to a better one later on. Anyway, the Pegasos G3's were delivered with no fan at all, only a tiny chipset cooler, and that is what I had been used to! Ah, the silence!

So when I heard that people were using this Zalman chipset cooler, I decided to do that too! But since my PSU unit in the case is of an ultra quiet kind (which mean poor air flow in the case) I decided to put this big, ultra quiet fan over the motherboard just in case. Big fans are generally more quiet than small ones, and this is spinning at *really* low speed, just to get some air moving between the pins on the cooler. You can't even hear a whisper from it!

You can see the Zalman cooler in the middle! I have been running this CPU at 100% 24/7 for almost an entire year crunching RC5 keys (look at the "My RC5 stats" link in my sig), and it is rock stable!

One of the best thing with PPC CPU's in my opinion is that they run quite cool but at the same time work very stable and reliable at really high temperatures too! This makes cooling very easy, and possible to use a fanless solutions (which is really nice)!

Report this post  
JurassicC 
Posted on 1-Mar-2005 16:02:20
#180 ]

@thread

WOW ! what a read.

@ Helgis.

Hope you get your machine sorted.

Have you tried the likes of stellar-dreams, Sven has been able to source cpu modules for some beta testers who damaged their CPU's.

What about buying an a1c then get a replacement CPU once they are available. You could then get rid off the either the XE or A1c in the second market. Might be more expensive but its an option. You can use the A1c Module in the XE as i've swapped mine around several times.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle