Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 118 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  12 mins ago
 OldFart:  25 mins ago
 amigakit:  37 mins ago
 Beajar:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
terminator 
Re: Eyetech must provide CPU-modules for A1XE!
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 17:34:35
#61 ]

@Helgis
Quote:

Helgis wrote:

No doubt, Eyetech needs to address the situation like i stated. Now that my CPU more or less is dead, then i really need to have the possibility to get a new CPU-module without getting a new motherboard..!

Problem is, a cpu daughter card alone may cost as much, or more than, the original motherboard. Depends if Eyetech has spare parts available, or if they have to order them from the Far East.

Or if they wish to cannibalize a system they have in stock. But if the part in question is not in production anymore, they will not want to do that, and the cost of getting another one would be very high.

Profile     Report this post  
Jamie_S 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 17:41:04
#62 ]
Cult Member

Umm noisy thread

I'm glad to hear separate CPU boards are going to be produced. While I understand its easy for me to say this sitting here smugly with my new µA1, I do wish some people would empathise more with the difficult situation faced by the *few remaining* players in the Amiga market. And ask politely before demanding, its only reasonable.

Last edited by Jamie_S on 27-Feb-2005 at 05:41 PM.

Rogue 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 17:41:12
#63 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
The reasons to why anyone would want to *buy* (yes, pay money for) a new CPU card is not really relevant IMHO, and really none of our business.

The reason for Helgis complaining (and barking at other people that have zero to do with the whole thing) is that he actually *did* fry his CPU. Upgraded modules are all nice, granted, but you can usually wait for them to be available.

I can understand someone growing impatient, but that is no excuse for rudeness.

Quote:
That is good news, and not hard at all to understand!

You might be reading too much into that. I don't know anything, I just pointed out what Rose said.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 17:42:38
# ]

@Rogue

I might have been wrong about something yes. Ok, i wouldn't have to mentioned the thing about overclocking and wrong VCORE, but even Alan Redhouse has done that with his A1G3XE, and he knows that several people have been overclocking. I simply wanted to be honest than just walking around with a lie...

Anyway, you did see that most people reason with me about having different CPU-modules. Actually, Toaks was giving a good advice about buying a MicroA1 now while waiting, so maybe i will do that. I dunno, or just saving money and buy a brand new A1G4XE with Sillicon Image 3114 S-ATA PCI-controller, harddrives that support this feature, and NOT messing with overclocking at all, whatever anybody says!

I had no intention to attack you, but you never gave me a change to be listened by you. I happen to see that you seem to be "attacking" two of us here...

I said "No further comments" as long as it wasn't worth further commenting the topic, but as new messages always come up, new comments have to be given..

I think we both realize the importance of having different CPU-modules available, as so many other add-ons for AmigaOne already are available to the dealers. Why the dealers can't be allowed to provide CPU-modules at the moment, is beyond me..

Last edited by Helgis on 27-Feb-2005 at 05:46 PM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 17:45:22
# ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:

Why is the whole thread in a forum, to begin with? The only one that can actually answer is Eyetech.

Why have forums at all if people are not allowed to discuss things? Why is this issue taboo? Apparently he also posted a mail to Eyetech, so ...

Quote:
The only purpose I see is to stir up enough people to start complaining, and apparently, this has worked.

I think some of you really make a hen out of a feather here. Are we even reading the same thread? A fair discussion about replacement CPU-cards was started, and suddenly some people really detonates! What's the big deal?

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 17:50:02
# ]

@takemehomegrandma

So when you have a problem with an airline ticket the first thing you do is contact the ticketing agency right? QED.

There is nothing about the subject being 'taboo' ( thats your spin ) its all to do with being fair and Helgis wants people to be fair with him yet is unable to set the tone that he would wish to be treated with.

As for why people detonate, its been explained many times already, the 'request' was made in an impolite, rude fashion - detonation was going to be the inevitable result. Treat others how you would be treated IMHO.

Additionally I don't find Rose's comments to be that polite, helpful or rational either. However, 'he started it' applies here I think.

Last edited by Wiffy on 27-Feb-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 17:53:09
# ]

@Wiffy

Quote:
There is nothing about the subject being 'taboo' ( thats your spin ) its all to do with being fair and Helgis wants people to be fair with him yet is unable to set the tone that he would wish to be treated with.

I have to correct you there. That is not really right. The reason for this topic is to point the extreme need of different CPU-modules, both as a replacement as well as upgrading. That's the whole point of this topic, and yes, i did mail Eyetech personally.

Last edited by Helgis on 27-Feb-2005 at 05:57 PM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 17:59:07
# ]

@Helgis

Not before you screamed the topic in the first place, which is my point. You ASK first and if you get treated badly THEN you scream in a forum. That is the 'done thing' to do.

I and a few others have been over the whole different CPU modules a few times before here, including in the A1 owners forum without putting it as rudely and as offensively as you did in the first instance. So its hardly a new issue anyway and its not as if Eyetech is unaware, as Rose pointed out.

With yours, Rose's and takemehomegrandma's replies I wonder if we are all reading the same thread...

Last edited by Wiffy on 27-Feb-2005 at 06:01 PM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 18:05:26
# ]

@Wiffy

Ok, that sounds fair enough, but then again. Why does almost everybody reason with me and point out about the lack of CPU-modules then? Eyetech IS the company with the license to get AmigaOne produced, then they surely must find somebody to produce and deliever the CPU-modules for all the dealers around the world...

I know i usually have a rough tone when writing topics, but then again you should ask yourself why my topics usually become so popular at a short timerate?

Think about that before being so pessimistic. We don't need pessimistic people supporting the Amiga. They are not value for any Amiga-forums. Only true Amigans being optimistic and hopeful, are worthy of being part of the Amiga-community.

Now, most of us want to know if there is any news regarding the CPU-modules.

Last edited by Helgis on 27-Feb-2005 at 06:08 PM.
Last edited by Helgis on 27-Feb-2005 at 06:06 PM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 18:17:08
# ]

@Helgis

Quote:

Ok, that sounds fair enough, but then again. Why does almost everybody reason with me and point out about the lack of CPU-modules then? Eyetech IS the company with the license to get AmigaOne produced, then they surely must find somebody to produce and deliever the CPU-modules for all the dealers around the world...

If it wasn't for that magic wand you would have a Ferrari right.

Quote:

I know i usually have a rough tone when writing topics, but then again you should ask yourself why my topics usually become so popular at a short timerate?

Its your natural charm and general thang, just don't make the Beatles mistake and claim your topics are more popular than Jesus. Oh hang on your CPU is already burned...

Quote:

Think about that before being so pessimistic. We don't need pessimistic people supporting the Amiga. They are not value for any Amiga-forums. Only true Amigans being optimistic and hopeful, are worthy of being part of the Amiga-community.

Where was I being pessimistic? Where is this worthiness for the Amiga community testing coming in did I forget to get baptised again?

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 18:23:26
# ]

@Amiga Users in general

At the risk of pissing a load of people off (but what the hey, it needs to be said)....

Isn't anyone else sick of all this pussyfooting around Eyetech? It's been what? Since about late 2000, so over 4 years, nearly 5. 4 years of making excuses, 4 years of "nearly there", 4 years of contradictions and bloopers.

Am I the only one here who thinks that Eyetech are simply not up to the job? I mean the evidence is there. A mounting list of customers and potential customers frustrated with the situation, buggy hardware, incomplete specs, poor sales channels, warranty issues, documentation issues, poor quality components. All this not to mention their seeming inability to communicate in any form. Prices have been going up, not down. The more I write, the more things come to mind.

While I rarely agree with Helgis' way of phrasing post topics, I have to agree with him when it comes to this. Eyetech MUST make additional CPU modules, because not doing so is ####ing stupid. Think about it.

It shouldn't make a blind bit of difference that Helgis' warranty is void, he's not asking for it to be replaced, he's asking for the opportunity to buy replacement modules. It's a valid request. Complain all you want about the tone all you want, but Eyetech need a massive ####-off kick up the arse. Just how much slack do we have to give them to hang themselves with?

"Working on it" just doesn't cut it anymore. Keeping silent doesn't cut it anymore. Making the dealer's do all the dirty-work for them doesn't cut it anymore. It's skate or die time, fix the situation now (with action not empty promises), or admit it, "we ####ed up, we picked a dead-end partner, we just weren't up to the job" and at least give the Amiga the chance to find a hardware company that can. Hell, even at this point sucking up the pride and cutting a deal with bPlan would be better than continuing down this road. Maybe the grass is greener and all that, but for everything that's gone on, the Blues certainly seem to be doing well on the hardware front with the peg2.

And you can go on about "financial realities", or how small Eyetech are until you are blue in the face, it makes no difference. If you booked your wedding reception at the perfect venue, then found out that the exclusive catering firm had no previous experience, couldn't provide what they said on the menu, served bad food, and gave shoddy service, would you accept either of those excuses? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Sorry if any of that upsets any of you, that's not my intention. It just pains me to see how things are panning out. The shocking lack of professionalism all around the market is a bad joke. The Amiga community deserves so much better.

Report this post  
QuikSanz 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 18:23:34
#72 ]

@Helgis,

I think we all understand you need it yesterday or last week. However, In the real world things don't happen that fast. Cool your jets turbo, it will happen.

Chris

Last edited by QuikSanz on 27-Feb-2005 at 06:25 PM.

Kluz 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 18:29:50
#73 ]

@Helgis

I don't have A1, and I don't know what kind of socket CPU fits.
If it is ZIF socket like Mac's?
If so, you can easily fine it.
Why is so hard getting a new module.
Is this some kind of specific design?
I've read of some kind of daughterboard that fits in megarray socket.

Is this in all A1 models, or just SE.

P.S. If you couldn't find a module maybe you should consider buying
XC instead XE. I think it's worth waiting for.

Coder 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 18:51:35
#74 ]
Team Member

@Uncharted

Quote:
Am I the only one here who thinks that Eyetech are simply not up to the job?

Nope. They certainly are not. But hey it's Amiga so different rules all together, right?

Quote:
And you can go on about "financial realities", or how small Eyetech are until you are blue in the face, it makes no difference.

Right. This is no excuse or can be used as an argument. But somehow it does, weird right?

Oh and people don't overclock. Just don't. I am sure people have it running just fine and all but it goes wrong sometime. And yes I have no pitty for people that fry stuff on their own account.

Quote:
The shocking lack of professionalism all around the market is a bad joke.

Indeed. I hear yah brother. Maybe some bitching and complaining might change some things around in Amiga world.

Coder

Interesting 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 18:54:03
#75 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@The_Editor

Quote:
So certainly it would seem like some spare Bog standard MegArrays are needed.

If these DO need to be manufactured then whoever takes a chance on this might as well go the whole hog and supply the best upgrade they can.

Well this is a point thats been on my mind for some time. I come down in the middle in all these comments.

As I understand it the MegArrays started out from a Mac standard, and is changed on the A1's. So if this is the new MegArray A1 standard then I would like to see it opened up so other companies can make upgrades etc.

Eyetech, how about making the schematics available to whoever wants them? Good for repairs, good for new product.

its a win, win.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 18:56:33
#76 ]
Elite Member

@Kluz

The socket on the XE and uA1 are mechanically like Mac sockets (ie you can fit in a CPU card) but not electrically (ie it won't work, and might even fry something). Don't ask, I have no idea either. Waiting for an XC won't help because they probably have the same design for the CPU socket. My guess is the best thing he can do is buy a micro A1 with all the cheapest possible options and get the CPU off that. Here's a business opportunity for savvy European dealers: uA1s are cheaper there than in the US, and they have better CPUs than XEs came with. Buy uA1s in bulk, keep the mainboards for warranty replacements and sell the CPU cards to upgrade-starved Americans. The exchange rates should help with this plan, and everyone's happy.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:00:06
# ]

@Coder

Actually I dont think bitching and complaining will change a thing, but we can try it yours and Andys way and see...

Report this post  
DrBombcrater 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:08:44
#78 ]

@Uncharted

Agree, 100%. Eyetech have long since become a problem rather than an asset to the market.

It's time for those people who view this subject through a rose-tinted reality distortion field to swallow the truth. The Amiga resurgence that we all want to see is not going happen while any part of it depends on Eyetech. They are simply not up to the job, and evidence of that becomes more stark by the day.

They either need to up their game considerably, or get out. It's fine for people to point out that Eyetech are a one-man-and-his-dog outfit with few resources, but that's irrelevant. Why they are failing is not important, only that they are.

If they admitted defeat and left the market it would increase the sales opportunities for any other supplier who wanted to build OS4-capable PPC boards, and even if nobody else was interested Eyetech's departure would increase the pressure for an OS4 port to existing harware (be it Peg2, MacMini or whatever) considerably.

Getting back on topic, I don't believe for a second that Eyetech don't have spare CPU modules they could sell. Alan Redhouse revealed some time back that faulty A1s returned under warranty are not sent back to the far-eastern manufacturer because it costs too much in shipping, Eyetech just eats the cost of sending out a new board. It's a good bet a fair proportion of those have working CPU modules that could be extracted and sold.

I also have to wonder why Eyetech is not selling 750GX modules as upgrades to XE-G3 owners. The performance gap is big enough that the GX is a worthwhile upgrade. Why don't they just up their next CPU card order by 10% and sell the extras?

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:15:42
# ]

I'm glad that different CPU-modules will be available very soon, hopefully. I will also get myself this Sillicon Image 3114 S-ATA IDE PCI-controller and supported harddrives around 160-200GB

Report this post  
glokraw 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:18:26
#80 ]

@Uncharted

Eyetech made their reputation and livelihood largely from the spares
and upgrades business. Nubeez can search the old Amiga mags for
Eyetechs full page, and across-the-fold ads of every concievable part
and spare for all Amiga models, over many many years. But for the 'pond',
they would have had my money, losing out the shipping war to Softhut
here in the states. But I'm sure all amigans eagerly perused their ads,
month after month after month. The idea that spares and upgrades for
their ambitious and flagship A1 production could be a mere afterthought
is ridiculous.

Now, I'm guessing Helgis has English as a second language? If so,
well done, and keep posting. I always try to apply a large grain of salt
to the many nuances of international postings to forums, where so many
people speak more than one language. If I recall, Rose is an English chic,
who fled to France, for hope of finer wines, fresher truffles, and more
money. I'm sure her French, and Helgis Norwegian are both superior to my
native english, so , as befitting a rich American, with too much time, and
too little talent, on his hands, I leave this thread with one parting thought...
The new upgrade modules will be ready

in

TWO MORE WEEKS!!!! HaHAHaHA

Nurse! Nurse!!! Two more of the little blue pills, please...

Hey, really the modules will be out WHEN THEY are READY.

Nurse...NURSE!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle