Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 104 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Hypex,  Beamish2040

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Beamish2040:  11 secs ago
 Hypex:  4 mins ago
 Allanon:  10 mins ago
 amigagr:  22 mins ago
 OlafS25:  47 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  54 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 Rudei:  1 hr 57 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  The Amiga Heart
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
DJRJ 
Re: The Amiga Heart
Posted on 17-Mar-2005 1:43:19
#21 ]
Cult Member

@Hondo_DK

I can fully agree and sympathise with the sentiments in your post. Hell, my first posting in here was hardly a beacon of joy and optimism (see here to see my "Cranky ####" schtick in action).

Theref's been a few times when I've felt like that, but certainly not recently. Things are happening. We have the A1 (in all its forms), and we have OS4 out there as well. Things are far from perfect but we've all been through worse. I think we bottomed out some time back, and now we're on our way back.

The best times (in chronological order).
1. - Seeing my first Amiga (A1000), playing the juggler demo.
2. - Buying my first Amiga (An A600 way back in '92).
3. - Doing my 1st hardware upgrade (KS2.04 to KS2.05 on the 600 and 40 meg hard drive).
4. - A1200, nuff said.
5. - Having my AmigaOne G3XE delivered to me at work. (Woo! Shiny!)
6. - Having OS4 delivered to me at work. (Woo! Shiny)
7. - Every day onwards using my A1 since installing OS4! (Woo! Shiny!)

The lowest point would have to have been during the time between when we had those massive IRC conferences back after Commondore bit the dust when all these promises were made (Escom, Viscorp etc etc etc) and when those promises subsequently died. I held onto the Amiga scene through sheer bloody-minded stubborness and loyalty. I knew back then that the platform as a whole deserved better than what it was getting and could deliver far more than it was ebing allowed to.

From where I sit it looks like the Amiga is getting it all back. The magic is there, it never left, but now it's getting a fresh start and new dreams.

Doug

Maybe add more for malfunctions and then we'll have music all day.

Profile     Report this post  
Kronos 
Posted on 17-Mar-2005 4:15:52
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Rogue

Quote:

but what makes Fleecy's words "not to be trusted"?

Oh come on.....

The better question would be "but what makes Fleecy's "to be trusted" ?"

One may argue wether he is utterly clueless, or just plain liar, but everything he had to say in the last 7 years turned out to be just techno-babble with nothing real behind it.

BobC. 
Posted on 17-Mar-2005 6:07:02
#23 ]
Cult Member

@ Rogue
That was a very touching story and only hints at the passion you and the “team” must
have, thanks for sharing it!

Please Kronos, we just went through that silliness with “realize” perhaps you missed that
thread?

OK back on topic:
So many thrills in my life related to the Amiga it’s hard to know where to start. But....

Back in the day....

I have owned a C-64, an A500 and then an A2000 (Wow, it even had a HD) which was
then upgraded with an accelerator card with 8 MB onboard. I also upgraded from KS 1.3
upgraded to KS 2.1 This is some machine!

I used my Amiga for animation and video capture output to VHS and would show these
silly “movies” to friends and family - great fun!

While at work I was asked to make a presentation to the senior management to justify
being given a fairly large budget to fund and manage a project I had proposed. The
company was newish and filled with very bright people ( most of then younger than I) and
everybody had a computer (all Macs) on his/her desk (no secretaries except for the
president).. This was a radical departure back then.

Instead of a boring presentation with only charts etc. I made a 3.5 min. Full Screen
Animation mixed with facts and humor that blew them away! I ended up getting the
funding and showing it to all 45 people in the company. It was a life changing event for
me.

The worst times:

Well, all the false starts to revive the platform were shear agony to live through and the
Blue/Red split was also very painful, I still don’t fully understand the reasons for it.

I can’t imagine the guts and insight it took for Bill and Fleecy to make the decision to
“take on the Amiga project” in the face of so many failures by very big companies and
the perseverance to stay the course with unimaginable economic and technical
pitfalls that have occurred along the way to finally getting
Hyperion, Eyetech and now KMOS involved.

I didn’t agree with or understand all the decisions they made but here we are today with
things looking very bright indeed. I am impressed and very thankful for their efforts. I
hope they will continue to add to this great work.

Bob C.

Last edited by BobC. on 17-Mar-2005 at 06:08 AM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 17-Mar-2005 7:05:39
# ]

@Hondo_DK

Suffer
1. As one other post says "when my last Amiga friend left the scene"
2. Constant disappointments in the inability of varioussubsequent owners to deliver a product (Not a critisism!). I totally beieve they all had the best intentions, even Gateway nearly got onboard but perhaps they saw what was about to hit.
3. The community split, I don't think it needed to be as bad as it got.

Joy
1. Buying my very very expensive A500 and playing POW and Dragon Spirit (sad)
2. Buying my extremely expensive A1200 and AGA
3. Keeping my A1200 going for so long pretty well unexpanded (very expensive here in Australia)
4. Buying my A1 XE, sure to some it is expensive but that arguement is all relative, in the old days a mate paid $1000 AUD to have a 20MB HD built for his A500. Today I can more afford these things.
5. Believe it or not AInc getting hold of AOS, without them and Hyperion, Eyetech and KMOS where would we be full stop, end of story. Well done guys at least we have a future and it is what we make of it.

Cheers
Ace

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 17-Mar-2005 15:09:22
# ]

@Hondo_DK

I understand what you mean. Trust me, you are not the first one who feels this way, hordes of people has gone there before you. I myself went there years ago already, the day when McEwen declared "the Amiga is dead, long live the Amiga" and proclaimed the Tao Intent to be the new Amiga. But I know what Amiga is, and what it is not, and simply couldn't accept that Tao stuff as even remotely Amiga related, and I suddenly realized that Amiga Inc simply was not the answer. Then when MorphOS came along, I felt right at home again (OS4 came much later on, and of course I have had that one too, and I feel that OS4 really has the potential of becoming at least as interesting in the future! It is a very interesting OS project, IMHO! ). I also agree with what you say about the people in the community. There is only one kind of Amigans really, and we all comes from the same place way back. Some people choose to look at it in a different way, which is kind of sad, but hard to change I think.

Quote:
What has made you suffer the most in the amiga history???

1) When Commodore died.
2) When the Swedish magazine "Datormagazin" closed down shortly after (a completely different mag than the "NG" mag with the same name that exists now)
3) When the following Swedish magazine "Amiga Info" closed down some year later on.
4) When Amiga Inc announced "the Amiga is dead, long live the Amiga"

Quote:
What has made you most joyfull in the amiga history???

1) When I first saw the A500 in real life!
2) When I got my own first Amiga.
3) When the A1200 was released, and I got one!
4) The first time I set up my Pegasos and MorphOS system to be [almost] complete enough to be used fully as an Amiga (around MorphOS 1.2/1.3 I think). That was kind of a come back for me, and the joy was great! Of course, it was really fun to see OS4 boot as well, even if the first pre-release was *really* "pre" (just like the first releases of MorphOS was). I follow the OS4 project with great interest, and I will jump on that train again once it runs on a different hardware (which I'm looking forward to)!

@ NutsAboutAmiga

I think your talk about "dark sides" etc, etc, etc sounds dangerously religious in a scary way. Perhaps you should consider whether your emotional involvement in all this is healthy or not? I think Cecilia has put forward a valid point on several occasions; Forget the corporations - the community is made of *people*, Amigans who comes from the same place and share the same interest. That is the Amiga community. Companies may or may not deliver, but that shouldn't affect the fun we have with our computers, right?

Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 17-Mar-2005 15:59:13
#26 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Kronos

Quote:
One may argue wether he is utterly clueless, or just plain liar, but everything he had to say in the last 7 years turned out to be just techno-babble with nothing real behind it.

Proof? Really, it is easy to claim things, but can you actually deliver some proof?

Loki1 
Posted on 17-Mar-2005 16:40:32
#27 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:

Proof? Really, it is easy to claim things, but can you actually deliver some proof?

Feeding the Trolls again

Loki

-Sam- 
Posted on 17-Mar-2005 16:49:51
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:
turned out to be just techno-babble with nothing real behind it.

There was an awful lot of abstract talk in the 'Ask Fleecy' column that so far has come to nothing concrete but we can hardly get at the guy for having ideas even if they have so far come to nothing.

I don't actually remember any lies as such. Maybe a few slipped release dates but then no-one with any common sense listens to release dates anyway.

The only gripe anyone could have realistically held is with the T-Shirt issue - but that has been solved now. It comes down to personal decision for us all whether or not you want to put that behind you and move on or simply forget about the Amiga and move away.

There really is nothing left to be upset about.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 17-Mar-2005 17:24:52
#29 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma

"I think your talk about "dark sides" etc, etc, etc sounds dangerously religious in a scary way. "

Negativity is scary, any way I where thinking about StarWars when I wrote it.
(I'm not religious)

"Perhaps you should consider whether your emotional involvement in all this is healthy or not?"

What? I just don't like negative comments, I don't think this will help, start doing some thing creative for once, like make some nice programs or paint some images,

the "dark side" is just a human sate of mind (negativity or anger), it can damage your self or the motivation of others, think positive, think about solutions and think there is hope and you come long way to success.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle