Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 143 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  46 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 cncparts:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  4 hrs 14 mins ago
 Beajar:  4 hrs 33 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 35 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 39 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  [Poll] Garry Hare
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Poll : How has the latest info struck you?
No change
Optimistic before, now pessimistic
Pessimistic before, now optimistic
More cynical
Less cynical
I'm backing AmigaOS4 against 'AmigaOS5.0'/AA
I'm deserting AmigaOS4 for 'AmigaOS5.0'/AA

PosterThread
Anonymous 
[Poll] Garry Hare
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 7:20:12
# ]

How do you feel about what Garry said, has it changed your mind

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: [Poll] Garry Hare
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 7:25:09
# ]

@Wiffy

Indeed it did, in a a positive way.
As a non-english in the main laguage, i was more than confused by the IRC
(may also be bacause it was my first longer session!)

But now it seems just GREAT news and GREAT future coming up again.

I am fully satisfied with the things going on currently...

What to say more? Yeah, OS4 ... guys...BRING IT ON!

Report this post  
wegster 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 7:37:06
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy

Before the clarifications, you just don't want to know.

After...no change to _slightly_ more optimistic.

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 8:04:40
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy

IMO there's a lack of options available for this poll or at least you make it sound as if this has to be like an 'AmigaOS4 vs AmigaOS5' thing. Although I agree with you that an 'Internet OS' does really sound more like something based on Carl Sassenrath's REBOL/IOS or a variant of Tao's Intent technology, instead of a direct descendent of the ExecSG kernel (higher level component source code could still be shared). However I have much interest in seeing *both* AA and AmigaOS-legacy approaches succeed.

AmigaOS5.x is still a long way off into the future (most MSDOS users never worried about Windows when MSDOS dominated the market). Technology requirements will be significanty different in the future and IMO it's good that Amiga tries to be on the forefront of this development when the time comes and our needs change. IMO in the future the Internet will become very dynamic, not much like your experience today where you still continuously reload pages to see the latest comments or news added to webpages, you wouldn't need to have the programs you execute stored on your personal computer and it wouldn't matter much (except for screensize) which kind of device you use to tap into local and global networks.

Maybe they should rename AmigaOS5.x into AmiVerse or the good old Amiga OE (operating (or internet) environment) to avoid confusion and wouldn't make people worry too much about this being an 'OS5 vs OS4' thing. IMO they could easily exist next (or hosted on top of OS4.x) to each other at some point in the distant future and when our needs change the Amiga OE / OS5 (or whatever it may be called at the time) could be customized to mimic exactly the legacy user experience, if so desired.

Last edited by MikeB on 22-Mar-2005 at 08:09 AM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 8:08:20
# ]

@MikeB

The options are completely optional, you dont have to check box either of those. However the intent was to pick up on if the polarisation that I expect will happen within the next 2 years has already started.

Report this post  
DJRJ 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 8:08:25
#6 ]
Cult Member

@Wiffy

I was a little confused by what was said in the IRC transscript, but after Gary Hare's less harried, more reasoned response to the public reaction to the IRC session I am still optimistic about the Amiga's future. Not wildly optimistic (yet) but I believe that our platform can go on to greater things than where we stand at the moment.

I also believe that the development of OS4 into AA is going to be (a) inevitable and (b) a natural, organic progression - In much the same manner as OS1 to the present, so too will the OS continue to develop, and I think that this is going to be the essential cornerstone to the survival of the Amiga platform. It's no use going to war against Windows in the desktop/laptop market, they won that one. So why not let Apple and Linux fight for what scraps remain and choose another, more suitable battlefield? The secret to beating Microsoft's offering is to choose a battlefield where MS is going to be (a) woefully weakened by what they already have and (b) ill-equipped to change due to the internal inertia of their product line and the external inertia of market expectations and demands.

I think that the Amiga platform (now and in the future) is more than well placed to develop and move into the area of what can be called a universal computing environment, encompassing everything from over-powered (and chunky) wrist-watches to the more traditional desktop machines and everything in between. OS4 is comparitively lightweight and flexible. Add scalability and transparent portability to the mix (which is what I think AA is trying to achieve) and think of what can be done.

That's why I'm optimistic - And that's one hell of a dream.

Doug

Maybe add more for malfunctions and then we'll have music all day.

fjudde 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 8:18:15
#7 ]

@Wiffy

Quote:
No change

Is it bad or is it good?

Like in "No change. Bad before, bad now" or "No change. Good before, good now".

I guess people will interpret it differently depending on "colour".

Coder 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 8:30:56
#8 ]
Team Member

@Wiffy

The follow up did address some issues but I still voted for "no change". You see for the last years and years I heard a lot of talk but not any delivery. So I will change my feeling once they have products that make sense. Garry did say the 1.5 SDK was released but on the site you read it is being tested. I sure don't hope it takes months before that comes out. Otherwise it's the same old story again, words and words but no deeds.

Coder

Anonymous 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 9:07:09
# ]

@fjudde

Its good or bad depending on whom you are I would guess.

Report this post  
AlexC 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 9:15:38
#10 ]

@MikeB

Quote:
you wouldn't need to have the programs you execute stored on your personal computer

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

I foresee a world where it will cost you a dollar each time you double-click on a document to open it, because it loads the remotely hosted textviewer which happens to have a pay-per-use fee attached to it.
Never mind that the viewer crashes and you have to reload it numerous times, at your own expenses, which is in the EULA and part of the business plan of course.
Oh, I forgot, the server is down, you ain't cropping your vacation pictures today, and hmm, remotely hosted viruses? What a nice concept

No thanks.

Last edited by AmigAlex on 22-Mar-2005 at 09:19 AM.

AmigaOne XE/X1000/X5000/UAE-PPC OS4 laptop/X-10 Home Automation

CodeSmith 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 9:21:20
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy

I must say I do feel a lot better after Garry's clarifications. There's an old saying "the scalded cat fears cold water", I think this applied rather well to me this time - I saw a corporate type seemingly dancing around issues I cared about, and I immediately assumed that something nefarious was going on. I've seen this happen way too often so I don't really feel embarrassed about it...

BTW, I'm posting this from my fixed XE with custom DRAM from kgrach. I must say it was worth every penny, I recommend that anyone in the USA still debating getting the fix done, have it done by him. My XE went from unusable to completely stable, and the guy's a real pro who went above and beyond to make me a happy customer.

MikeB 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 9:40:15
#12 ]
Elite Member

@AmigAlex

Quote:
foresee a world where it will cost you a dollar each time you double-click on a document to open it, because it loads the remotely hosted textviewer which happens to have a pay-per-use fee attached to it.

There seems to be a trend where internet usage becomes continuously cheaper to its users and better accessable to a wider audience. Free software alternatives also seem to become more complete better alternatives.

Maybe some day you wouldn't need to run off to the shop to get a copy of Quake8, but instead just pay a few cents to play the game directly from various remote (back-up mirrior) servers (immediately after the game is released). Great for people who like to test before they buy!

Quote:
Oh, I forgot, the server is down, you ain't cropping your vacation pictures today

I imagine if there's no need to execute various software from your main home system (or connected clients), this doens't mean it becomes a requirement. IMO it may make sense to store private data (photos, login details, mail, Quake8 stats, etc) stored locally better protected from hackers.

Quote:
remotely hosted viruses? What a nice concept

Yes some malicious programmers thought so too. Millions of people have already been infected by "remotely hosted viruses" this past decade.

jkirk 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 10:00:50
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy

Off topic

total votes 71
total voters 62

how is that possible?does the server allow multiple votes?

On topic

I feel pessimistic about os5 and up(unless things change)due to the work being moved in house. they obviously are working on the tao solution which is by my opinion not amiga anything.

Last edited by jkirk on 22-Mar-2005 at 10:07 AM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Anonymous 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 10:02:36
# ]

@jkirk

Its multi-choice vote, its a radio checkbox so you can select more than one choice, once you have voted though, thats it.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 10:05:25
# ]

@AmigAlex

There won't EVER be an internet consisting of systems ONLY able to do stuff
from an internet based server.

There WILL definitely be such cases (big companies f.e. which doesn't need or
want to have a complete system on EVERY workplace in their building).

Imagine the possibilitys they have, you could work with such a machine on the
weekend or in your holidays and you would get paid for what you do (or gain
extra money for extra work), there are MILLIONS of possibilitys. This market
is huge and it would be great if AInc can step right onto that train.

Remember that there always will be the possibility to CHOOSE what you as
individual want to have or use. NO ONE will ever be able to dictate WHAT you
have to use (see Micro$oft, they got the largest selling OS in the world ...
and? Who cares about them, we still have a community of Amiga users and we will
not vanish, just because "Dollar" Bill WANTS a few more users!)

As long as there is the freedom of choice there will be desktops and towers
with full control for the user and people working for such a small market.

They still won't be able to gain enough money with it. They will do it because
they want to and keep the dream alive, with their hearts.

Report this post  
Trixie 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 10:48:33
#16 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@fjudde

Quote:
"No change. Bad before, bad now" or "No change. Good before, good now".

Good point. I myself was rather optimistic right after the IRC session, and my opinion naturally didn't change after Garry's clarification. I feel that "No change" implies "I had a pessimistic view and that hasn't changed after Garry stepped up".

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Derfs 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 11:12:58
#17 ]
Cult Member

@Wiffy

what about im backing os4 'for' os5 ? os4 sales more, amiga see a market, and make os5. are you worried about the similarity to os9 and osX ?

IonMane 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 11:35:38
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Wiffy

This assumes that there will be an os4.0 os5.0/AA conflict.There is absolutely nothing to support this supposition.

I am firmly convinced that OS4.0 will evolve into your speculated OS5.0/'AA and this evolution wil be what has been coined "internet os"

I am fairly sure that the definition of internet os in this regard is simply an OS capable of executing applications and acessing data stored in dissimilar locations on dissimilar devices.

Anonymous 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 11:39:52
# ]

@IonMane

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2167&start=60#23222

Im not repeating myself in every thread. If you disagree with my point of view personally then that is your right but to say 'There is absolutely nothing to support this supposition' is easily countered by the answer: 'Yes there is, logic, reason and evidence'.

Report this post  
amigacooke 
Posted on 22-Mar-2005 12:17:25
#20 ]

Hmm can't have the Amiga community at peace for too long, lets see if we can find a way to ferment a new split. Amigaworld is going to be suffering from Amiga.orgitis at this rate.

I'm going to try the old method of consumerism here. Wait for a product, see if I like it, then buy it (or not).

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle