Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 145 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  8 mins ago
 kolla:  16 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 AndreasM:  3 hrs 53 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 1 min ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 25 mins ago
 Swisso:  4 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Hello Everyone - I like my new home!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
herewegoagain 
Re: Hello Everyone - I like my new home!
Posted on 8-Mar-2003 1:51:07
#41 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

DaveW wrote:
Personally I think it is the fact that Amiga.org is failing to moderate the deliberate trolls. I couldn't care too hoots if MicroSoft sponsored the site for
example - but I do care that deliberate lamers were
able to stir up trouble and turn Amiga.org into
a -as Mikey said- stress zone.

@Mikey_C
They are WindowsXP a like slippers though

I think that sums it up pretty well for me too. I would have no problems with who sponsors the site, but in this case, I fear it will lead to "rule of the house" by certain people, so I guess it's better to go while I can.

Dosen't mean I won't drop in there once in awhile to "peek in" but I think this will be my mainstay.

Profile     Report this post  
Ryu 
Posted on 8-Mar-2003 4:15:49
#42 ]

Is there room in the tent for me?

yes I realise its 4:15am, and no I havent got a clue why im still up, I've been going to bed for the last 2 and a quarter hours .

Oh on a side note will the servers this site runs on be capable of handling the bandiwdth used by all us newbies? , I'd hate to think we are going to bring it crashing down.

Oh and a couple more e things, I prefer where the reply button is on amiga.org and the classified section, is it really needed? I think it would be much better just to point to amibench.org (the link could very well do that though, I have yet to check, was meant to do that b4 i posted but forgot and now its too late).

Damn im rambling aren't I well off to bed I go

oh and Mikey_C, hows the cable?

www.IntuitionBase.com - Your Guide to Amiga OS4.x and the AmigaOne
www.Bambi-Amiga.co.uk - My A1200 webserver, running 24/7/365

CyberViking2000 
Posted on 8-Mar-2003 4:17:41
#43 ]

I agree. I'm not going back to Amiga(MorphOS).org.

Finally, a pro-Amiga site that reminds me of the old days with a brighter outlook on the Amiga.

Vance
a.k.a.
CyberViking2000
-= Northern Light Videography =-

CodeSmith 
Posted on 8-Mar-2003 4:30:58
#44 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

AmigaGuy wrote:
I followed Mikey_C here. :)

I wish Wayne the very best with Amiga.org as he has done so much for us for so many years. I just feel, as I'm sure many here do, that the atmosphere has changed a lot over there. I just want to be some where that I can read about the Amiga and enjoy hearing from other's that like to use the Amiga too. So far this place feels pretty inviting and Amiga friendly.

AmigaGuy

P.S. The colors are pretty too!

Yep, that's how I feel too. When it was mostly ann I could handle it, but for the last few weeks ao has gotten to where I've been mostly lurking (arguing with trolls is an exercise in futility). I came here after I saw Mike Bouma's post about his thread being deleted. I can't really comment since I didn't get to see any of the thread postings, but it seemed to me like Wayne got "a talking to" by his sponsor and decided to cut his losses. How he manages his site is up to him, but if he's going to morph it I'm no longer interested in going there. I've pretty much decided, if AmigaOS doesn't happen I'll just leave the Amiga scene altogether. I don't like BillB's attitude and I won't support his products if I can help it.

Kneedeep 
Posted on 8-Mar-2003 5:55:33
#45 ]

It is neat to see this post of newcomers. Build it and they will come

BrianHoskins 
Posted on 8-Mar-2003 10:57:31
#46 ]
Cult Member

Hmmmmm.

Firstly I am very "pro-Amiga" myself and infact my Amiga is my main computer which I use everyday and which I'm using now.

That said, I wouldn't personally call MorphOS "The Dark Side". Remember that back when Commodore went bust and things looked bleak, MorphOS was a vision developed by real Amiga fans to move the OS forward and bring it onto PPC. The original MorphOS developers were really Amiga fans who were trying to secure the future of a fast, efficient Operating System on a modern processor platform.

The fact that Amiga finally got on their feet again and decided to develop the offical AmigaOS further instead of MorphOS is just so unfortunate for the people who'd already done so much positive work promoting the platform. If Amiga hadn't managed to get back on their feet, MorphOS would be our only way of using an Amiga-like OS on a PPC platform right now. I do admire them for securing that for us.

I think the people behind MorphOS just want the full Amiga Community to recognise and respect what they've tried to do for the Amiga. Personally I can't go as far as supporting the OS, simply because you can't run it on an official Amiga, but I do recognise what they tried to do for us and hey, if in the future we can unify as a community, so that both Operating Systems can be run on both platforms - great I'll welcome that!!!

As far as this site is concerned though, I think we should squash MOS bashing out. If you've tried the OS and you don't like it then that is fair comment - but it's a comment that really is better used elsewhere. And as for MorphOS supporters I'd say the same to them - if you don't like AmigaOS then that's also fair comment, but it's not a comment that's welcome here.

This site is a place for positive discussion about the Amiga, which really includes both Operating Systems because at this time both are still inside the future of the Amiga. I think it's ok to discuss either, as long as this cliche where one tries to insult the other doesn't go on.

Even if AmigaOS and MorphOS are not yet unified, let's see if we can't at least unify the discussions eh? I'll agree to respect MorphOS users if they'll agree to respect AmigaOS and vice-versa. Afterall we all originated from the same dream and we all have the same goal in our vision - the survival of the Amiga platform!!! How much more unified can you get!?!?

Come on guys, let's keep this a nice place to chat, whatever your Amiga Religion.

CyberViking2000 
Posted on 8-Mar-2003 15:23:55
#47 ]

Fact #1: This is an Amiga site. MorphOS fandom has no place here.

Fact #2: MorphOS is not an Amiga, but it has split the Amiga community.

Fact #3: I am sick to death of the MorphOS topics. For more on this, see Fact #1.

Quote:
Even if AmigaOS and MorphOS are not yet unified, let's see if we can't at least unify the discussions eh? I'll agree to respect MorphOS users if they'll agree to respect AmigaOS and vice-versa. Afterall we all originated from the same dream and we all have the same goal in our vision - the survival of the Amiga platform!!! How much more unified can you get!?!?

Vance
a.k.a.
CyberViking2000

DaveyD 
Posted on 8-Mar-2003 15:28:54
#48 ]
Team Member

@CyberViking2000
Careful you don't start flaming!

@Ryu
At the moment we can handle 20GB/month and if need be we can upgrade to 50GB/month, anyone got an idea of what amiga.org uses in bandwidth?

alx 
Posted on 8-Mar-2003 15:31:15
#49 ]

@CyberViking2000

I agree totally, altough #2 might be putting it a bit strongly.

Quote:
For more on this, see Fact #1.

Help - stuck in recursive loop!

GadgetMaster 
Posted on 8-Mar-2003 22:49:41
#50 ]
Cult Member

Hi everyone !

Firstly Congrats on a great site.!!

Although I registered a short while back I haven't really had time to post much.

I will definately be lurking about around here a bit more.

I will still be visiting Amiga.org aswell though. I'm not ranked number 5 [Edit] Number 6 [/Edit] on the Top Members List for nothing you know

Who knows I may become a more more regular visitor here, it really depends on how things pan out.

To be fair Wayne has put a lot of effort into his site and if he wants to be financially compensated for his many years of running A.org then he has no choice but to accept the contributions from whoever is willing to sponsor him.

This place seems very familiar because it was the way Amiga.org used to be so for those are a little bitter just remember that Wayne's past efforts do count for something.

If for personal preferences you decide to use this site instead of Amiga.org it is understandable but the personal remarks I have seen attacking Wayne are not really called for. He has a choice of how he sees best to run his site, just be thankful that there is an alternative if you dont't entirely see things his way.

BTW, The following does seem a bit strange: http://server.morphzone.org I wonder if Wayne is even aware of the way the nameserver is configured.

Anyway congrats again to the webmasters of this site. I hope you can maintain this as a flame free site as possible

herewegoagain 
Posted on 9-Mar-2003 1:36:43
#51 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
If for personal preferences you decide to use this site instead of Amiga.org it is understandable but the personal remarks I have seen attacking Wayne are not really called for. He has a choice of how he sees best to run his site, just be thankful that there is an alternative if you dont't entirely see things his way.

Agreed. And I think that is probably the feeling of about 99% of those who came over here in the last two days. I respect Wayne for all he has done, and do not blame him for doing what he has to do to keep his site going. I wish him sucess with the new sponsors. Most will probably agree. No hard feelings to Wayne, I just don't feel at home there anymore.

Prior to my stay at AO, I use to "live" at ANN. But for obvious reasons, I quit going there along time ago. It just wasn't worth wading through all of the bad stuff to get to the stuff that was worth reading. AO has started heading that way IMO. There will be plenty of people there to keep it going, but some of us are just looking for simpler times and places to enjoy our Amiga's and discuss the possible future of things without being attacked or trolled everytime we mention AmigaOne or Hyperion or OS4. I hope this site will continue to provide that sort of good environment.

As to that server.morphzone stuff.... Hmmmm. I don't know what that means other than that's apparently where AO is hosted now.

AndrewKorn 
Posted on 9-Mar-2003 2:28:01
#52 ]

Ooh another site for me to lurk on.

Hi all.

Cheers,

Andrew

HMetal 
Posted on 9-Mar-2003 3:30:21
#53 ]

Ditto to all of the above (especially the no trolling policy).

One note, You should change the favicon in the site root. All I see in my links bar is the big XOOPS 'X'.

--
Ray A. Akey (AKA HMetal) - Designer / Photographer
http://www.phofan.com - Photography Fan Community Forums

CyberViking2000 
Posted on 9-Mar-2003 5:32:57
#54 ]

Quote:

Fact #3: I am sick to death of the MorphOS topics. For more on this, see Fact #1.

Quote:
by DaveyD on 2003/3/8 8:28:54

@CyberViking2000
Careful you don't start flaming!

I thought I was stating absolute facts and not FUD?

Is this not a pro-Amiga web site? Yes? I thought so, and that is what I had stated. Does MorphOS belong here? I didn't think so, since this is a pro-Amiga site and not a pro-MorphOS site.

Has the MorphOS split the community? Of course it has. It's developers and supporters are some disgruntled Amiga users. If you don't believe they're digruntled with Amiga Inc., ask them and they'll tell you.

And I am tired of the pro-MorphOS topics dominating supposedly pro-Amiga sites and mailing lists. I hope that this site also does not slip into that mess.

And lastly, you missed my smiley on the message in question.

Vance
a.k.a.
CyberViking2000

AutumnSun 
Posted on 9-Mar-2003 6:55:03
#55 ]

Hello!

Seeing it from the bright side:
this page is possibly a fine sign, that AInc is up and running.

Rebel 
Posted on 9-Mar-2003 10:36:41
#56 ]

Hello Mikey_C

I read your post on Amiga.org, and decided to check this place out. (I've just registered today - this is my first post).

I too have become tired of A.org and ANN which have become over run by MOS fanactics, and anti-AInc fud-slingers.

So far I like what I've seen. The site layout is good and quite familiar (being xoops based like a.org) and I see quite a few names I recogise . Maybe I'll stay here a while.

Anyway heres to the Community.

SlimJim 
Posted on 9-Mar-2003 13:08:08
#57 ]
Cult Member

Well, I'm here too. Won't stop visiting amiga.org though, as
outlined in another thread. That would be plain silly.
SlimJim

Anonymous 
Posted on 9-Mar-2003 14:07:40
# ]

Quote:

CyberViking2000 wrote:

You and me both!

Amiga!!! there is no substitute!!!!

Report this post  
unclecurio 
Posted on 9-Mar-2003 15:09:25
#59 ]

I think the idea is that it is simply a 'pro' site. I don't think Davey or the mods have a particular bias against any particular solution - they may have their favourites as we all do but I think the important part is that the angle is positive and we lose the notion of different camps which are irreconsilably pitted against eachother. People's personal leanings should be tolerated without attack.

If the forums are organised properly and everyone can come here and feel they are being catered for, I think the atmosphere will remain good and the stupid cyclical arguments will be minimalised.

Personally, I'm just as interested in the Pegasos/MOS solution as the A1/AOS4. I think both are exciting developments and worthy of exploration. I'm not interested in heavy politics or character assasination.

DaveyD 
Posted on 9-Mar-2003 15:14:27
#60 ]
Team Member

@HMetal

Good point about the favicon, I forgot about the default XOOPS favicon, probably because it dont see it for some reason.

Btw, you may have noticed that yourself and other Amiga Inc. members have their own rank on Amigaworld.net now, i.e. the five red squares and the text Amiga Inc.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle