Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 58 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  39 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 BigD:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 AndreasM:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 36 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs ago
 Swisso:  4 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Weak battery symptoms
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
kgrach 
Re: Weak battery symptoms
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 21:11:51
#21 ]
Cult Member

@stychokiller

A battery voltage of 2.85 will definately hang your computer.

Go to radio shack or wall-mart since you are in the USA and purchase a CR2032 should cost under $3.00

before going to the store remove the old battery and pull the plug on the computer if you havn't already done so. A partially reset of uboot might cause you problems.

rechargables won't work so just get a new lithium battery every other year or so.

I have the batteries in question for a $1.50 but shipping them would cost as much as going to radio shack.

But they are available and can be delivered to you in two day's for a grand total of $5.00
if you can't find any locally

But since the CR2032 is really common you can pick them up just about anywhere just make sure they aren't real old as then you will back in the same boat as before.

Lithium batteries have a shelf life and degrade over time whether you use them or not.

Kgrach

Profile     Report this post  
billt 
Posted on 15-Jan-2006 23:29:48
#22 ]
Elite Member

I've got someone's XE board here that isn't booting. He sent only the motherboard and kept the CPU module for some reason, so I had to rip apart my own machine for testing it. (Booo!)
I've out in a new battery as his came in at 2.84V. New battery is 3.05V, but still no uboot going on. Is there a reset jumper or something that needs tripped before it will try to come up clean again?

I've currently only got keyboard, mouse, and graphics card conneted. Hard drive is currently disconnected from IDE until I get something out of uboot. I've tried two Radeon models and a Voodoo3. The monitor it's all connected to seems to work fine if I temporarily mangle it all into my own machine. I have not begun any mods for DMA or USB, I'm trying to prove this thing is alive before I mess with it.

I really want to get this thing back to its owner so I can use put my own back together and get back to other things...

I haven't yet found my owner's leaflet or other threads saying more than to swap batteries yet.

kgrach 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 0:15:07
#23 ]
Cult Member

@billt

okay a few things before you go forward
pull plug remove battery and check all jumpers you never know with people.
if all jumpers are good. you could try putting in battery upside down just to help discharge the cap's.

now replace battery ,plugin and turn on.
Never understand why they would send board without a CPU
but people do it to me all the time.

If that doesn't work now you have to get the board fixed I have seen a few where the voltage regulator popped for whatever reason you could check out the FET's on the right side off the board and see if they are good. Most of the time you don't even need a meter, a simple visual inspection will show a pothole or bubble in the FET.

Kgrach

stychokiller 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 5:57:51
#24 ]

@kgrach

Unfortunately, a new battery did not revive my AmigaOne. I guess that the CPU card is fried.
Just so we're on the same page, after the battery is replaced, the Amiga should at least boot from
the AmigaOS4 CDROM, correct??

tomazkid 
Posted on 16-Jan-2006 6:43:25
#25 ]
Team Member

@stychokiller

Quote:
Just so we're on the same page, after the battery is replaced, the Amiga should at least boot from
the AmigaOS4 CDROM, correct??

You should get picture on the screen from UBoot.

billt 
Posted on 17-Jan-2006 2:58:45
#26 ]
Elite Member

@kgrach

I still don't quite understand how it got this way, but it boots now. I put my uboot chip in his board though, and I'd like that part back. :) I've got a Willem flash programmer around here somewhere with the right adaptor for these chips. I'll have to find it and make sure the chip has the right stuff in it to send back... Ugh. At least I know I didn't spark the thing!

ggw 
Posted on 7-Feb-2006 3:32:09
#27 ]

@everybody

Crud. It MUST be Monday. Amiga wouldn't boot. No signal to CRT from video card. I knew what that meant. Went straight away to Radio Shack and bought *2* CR2032 this time. They are getting to know me there!

Damned if I didn't put the battery upside down. (Familiarity breeds contempt... I should have gone slower.) I removed the battery and put it in right. (Indeed the old battery ... what all of 90 days old!! was down to 2.33 volts.)

The boot menu came up instead of going straight to the ................ and my workbench. Sigh. The Amiga Multiboot options were more plentiful than I remember last time. The last ROM update?
I have SII and looking through the options it was listed.

However, stupidly I guess, in nice RED was "Recover lost boot options? Press ". Hey! That's me! So I did. Crud.

Now all I get is a fat underline character in the upper left of my CRT. No keyboard character nor mouse click affects anything.

Boy, I was so clever, thinking I knew what I was doing... So, any suggestions about getting out of this mess?

My wife doesn't like sharing her iMac with anyone. (Even me.)

George

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

T_Bone 
Posted on 7-Feb-2006 3:57:13
#28 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

Don't know anything about the A1, but did you actually clear the Cmos after you changed the battery? On PC's sometimes it becomes corrupted and restoring the settings isn't enough.

sundown 
Posted on 7-Feb-2006 4:27:27
#29 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

Remove the battery overnite & put it back in the morning, this should reset uboot to its default settings. You'll have to go into uboot memus to set up your boot settings (card).

A battery should last longer then 90 days. Put a date sticker on your board with the replacement date so you can keep track of it.

When you get uboot right, you can print out your settings from a shell by typing nvgetvar >ptr: or to a file nvgetvar >ram:uboot.txt. You can also save the uboot settings via the prefs uboot project menu "save configuration as" & it will be saved to sys:prefs/env-archive/name.cfg.

kgrach 
Posted on 7-Feb-2006 7:21:07
#30 ]
Cult Member

@billt

sorry Just seen this post wasn't paying atttention I guess.
Raymond computers can reflash uboot roms and sells roms for a few bucks

Kgrach

ggw 
Posted on 7-Feb-2006 13:20:09
#31 ]

@sundown

OK. Battery out. Try it when I get home from work this evening. Still have battery sales receipt so I know it was 90 days. One before lasted 110 days. I turn the A1 off when I'm not a home. Its on about 3 to 4 hours/day (more on the weekends!).

@kgrach

Eh? You caught my post quickly. Thanks. I'll keep ROM replacement from Raymond Computers in mind as an option.

==================================================
Well, it is later now.

@sundown
That did the trick. Now to go round up the latest set of "best" settings for UBoot.

G

Last edited by ggw on 08-Feb-2006 at 01:49 AM.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

sundown 
Posted on 8-Feb-2006 3:45:38
#32 ]
Elite Member

@ggw

cool, we all love a happy ending.

If the battery fails every 3 months, you might want to replace your uboot chip, if its cheap enough, & see if battery life improves. I sure wouldn't mind having a spare myself, just in case.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle