Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
27 crawler(s) on-line.
 156 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  2 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  6 mins ago
 janelancy:  7 mins ago
 -Sam-:  16 mins ago
 RobertB:  40 mins ago
 OlafS25:  58 mins ago
 pixie:  59 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 blmara:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 miggymac:  2 hrs 22 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Dave Haynie (lead engineer of C= Amiga) opinion on Amiga Successors
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )
PosterThread
Mikey_C 
Re: Dave Haynie (lead engineer of C= Amiga) opinion on Amiga Successors
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 11:01:42
#201 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Well said. I fully supprt it

Profile     Report this post  
Hammer 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 11:03:14
#202 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:
The only thing I can thinkingg of is to mimic Zeta on the hardware that 'fits closest' and will be available. As you've said, PS3's PPE and the XBox360 use stripped versions of PPC970 cores, so seems at least an easier short term goal than going to x86 or other arch, and there _will_ be tens of millions of units sold.

Not quite a stripped versions of PPC970 i.e. how about exposed 128 VMX registers without a register renaming/window?

In Pentium IV, its 128 SSE registers is handled by register renaming hardware. In PPE, this is done by software.

Last edited by Hammer on 13-Jan-2006 at 11:06 AM.

TrebleSix 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 11:05:01
#203 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:

ErikBauer wrote:
@hazydave

Hi, I'm a bit overexcited learning that I'm going to write to the father of Amiga, but I thing I have to add my opinion to all this.

I'll think u'll find Jay Minor is the father of the Amiga, Dave is probably like an Uncle

-Sam- 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 11:06:22
#204 ]
Elite Member

@Yogi27

Quote:
I believe hardware does make a difference, not only in the performance of the machine, but how long the machine lasts.

Of course they do - and Intel chips are faster. I have never known - after a decade of owning fast Intel chips - them to be unreliable.

Quote:
Look, we can argue this till dooms day!

Shouldn't need to as it is a black and white answer.

Quote:
having we had enough monopoly already (hence windows). Does anybody want to be different?

Not for the sake of it - no. If Intel made the best CPUs in the world then only a mindless fool would buy a competitor's product 'just to be different'. You buy the best - and if that means a monopoly situation then so be it. But buying different for the sake of it is shear idiocy.

Quote:
They are about as inspiring as a toaster.

What has this to do with the CPU? How is a PC with an x86 any more or less inspiring than if it had a PPC? Is x86 'dull and boring' but PPC 'rebellious and cool'? Inspiration should come mainly from yourself - you can be just as creative on an x86 as a PPC or anything else.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 11:12:45
#205 ]

@-Sam-

I think, as I posted before, that PPC vs x86 is a matter of philosophy, and a matter of 'I want not to be a sheep and follow the others at all costs'.

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

ExiE 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 11:23:09
#206 ]

@ErikBauer

Quote:
We are not caveman, we are still smart and brilliant people, we just do not want to follow the other 'x86 sheeps' (no offence intended here ),

1) you should not use the word 'We' coz you speak just for yourself...
(i think there are enough people who agree with Dave's comments)

2) there is nothing like 'x86 sheeps', after all everything is just hardware which is quite unusable without proper software (OS and apps)...

These days there is nothing and I mean NOTHING about PPC that can bring some benefit for Amiga as DESKTOP platform now or in the future... (in terms of technology and price)

I believe Hyperion are in fact primary targeting some embedded devices with OS4 derivates that can make some sense...

But for the desktop, i dont see any future which is based on undepowered (well that is the thing i can live with after all), overpriced (that is the reason why I wont buy A1, even if A1 was missing some 'features' making it even less usable)

Quote:
We (And I think I'm speaking the toughts of most of us), love the Philosophy that Amiga is.

do you really think that philosophy has something to do with PowerPC? Can you explain it to me?

Quote:
We do not mind faster hardware, as we didn't when the 68000 was surclassed by the 386.

lol, it explains why Phase5 was one of the most succesfull company on Amiga market (producing turboboards)

Quote:
...and I think nothnig more than OS4 demonstrates this.

we are back again, what has OS (which I realy like) to do with hardware?

BTW i know several mac users who are really hardcore mac followers, they always think PowerPC is 'different' as someone said before and after some time, they are already preordering new intel based MACs coz they are realy faster. They dont care about CPU but SPEED and PRICE...

IMHO If AmigaOS should atract more DESKTOP users it need
1) be finished
2) cheep, 'so called special features less" yet powerfull hardware (comparable to today PCs)
3) applications. Tons of amiga software are getting obsolete everyday...

Last edited by ExiE on 13-Jan-2006 at 11:26 AM.

Neko 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 11:25:08
#207 ]

@Samwel

Anything would be good enough for an Amiga. Considering the "excuse" for not releasing the OS is "lack of hardware" and the "excuse" for not releasing hardware is a "lack of OS", I think you guys are in a serious bind here.

If Troika and ACK and Hyperion get together they could release something *tomorrow*. Forget Amiga. You know if you wanted to ship a Dolby Digital device you would need to pay royalties to Dolby. You know what the great thing is? You can do it for a year before Dolby would start demanding royalties. MPEG and Firewire trademark licensing (when it cost $1 per device) etc. is the same way: trust me I was doing the licensing thing for Genesi a little while back :)

Take the initiative, guys, and just do it, and put it out. You can worry about what Amiga want to charge you later, and if NOTHING sells, you have NOTHING to pay. That makes it risk free in my book, besides possibly making hardware nobody wants.

As for which processor, what peripherals, that's all irrelevant and idle speculation. PA Semi chips won't be available for more than a year. The 8641D is still a far off bet. G5 is 64bit and while suitable.. why do you need 64bit for an AmigaOS? Why have all that untappable power? Stick to what you know. What's wrong with the 603e or G3/G4 cores? They're cheap and cheerful and at the end of the day it is NOT what you have in your machine, but how good the software support is. You could have SATA RAID in your Amiga but what software do you need SATA RAID for? You could have Gigabit Ethernet but what are you going to transfer using your Amiga? What application is going to require such bandwidth? You want DirectX 9 class graphics cards with Shader Model 3.0 but what games and CAD apps will you run?

The MicroA1 was an excellent idea, poorly executed by virtue of lack of production but also by a lack of demand; the geeks thought it was underpowered. No SATA! Only a Radeon 7000!!?! It's not underpowered at all, and using one would show that. The same is true of the Pegasos II, while a little behind the times as we stand here, does AmigaOS require anything more?

Would Amigans really give a #### what the system underneath was if only they could boot their beloved OS? Would they care if it was "officially licensed" or not? If they are hankering for having it run on Centrino, AMD Opteron, Via Luke/Mark or so on, then obviously they don't. The time has come to think of the users, like the original intention was said to be.

Neko

ExiE 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 11:34:02
#208 ]

@ExiE

Quote:
IMHO If AmigaOS should atract more DESKTOP users it need
1) be finished
2) cheep, 'so called special features less" yet powerfull hardware (comparable to today PCs)
3) applications. Tons of amiga software are getting obsolete everyday...

n. 1 - its completly in the hands of developers

n. 2 - as Dave said what is the cheepest yet powerfull hardware around? common x86 based PCs
(I dont believe in "not enough drivers" argumentt. Dealers can get complete systems build of carefully selected common parts that are actually supported and the computer can still be powerfull and well priced

n. 3 - this is on the existing amiga users and the future ones, more users means more developers, means more apps, meand more users

Restore2003 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 11:37:07
#209 ]

@HazyDave:

How about a third attempt to resurrect the amiga?

afxgroup 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 11:38:05
#210 ]

@hazydave

Hi Mr Haynie.
We all (and no one can say the contrary..) have admired Commodore (and of course you) for its machines.
All you have said in this post is correct. But, if so also on the OS will be same thing. Why someone should choose Linux or MacOS if Windows has all tools to do all (and why not) better?
The AOS (in all incarnations) market is little and port all to x86 will be more difficult and long in my opinion. this because we have only few people that work on it atm. Not surely same persons that work on Microsoft and that retard the exit of its last OS.

No one can guess what future can reserve to us. Maybe we'll se an x86 AOS5, maybe we can see anithing else.
I think Hyperion has not reinvented the wheel. They has migrate the os to a similar platform instead.
And however AMD64bit 3.2GHZ that run an OS slow (not speaking about brutal number crunching like a render) is not logical in my opinion.

However,
Welcome Back. I know you have like all here a nostalgia of the past. it is normal. but yes.. the life goes on..

T_Bone 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 11:38:38
#211 ]
Elite Member

@ExiE

Quote:

ExiE wrote:
@ExiE

n. 2 - as Dave said what is the cheepest yet powerfull hardware around? common x86 based PCs
(I dont believe in "not enough drivers" argumentt. Dealers can get complete systems build of carefully selected common parts that are actually supported and the computer can still be powerfull and well priced

Exactly. Hell if the user doesn't want to screw around worrying about compatibility, why can't they just pick parts from a list? And if even that is too much to ask, buy a kit of preselected known compatible parts... and if even THAT is too much effort, buy a prebuild Amiga, Would that be more expensive? Hell no, not compared to existing hardware.

hell, we're approaching 2010, and I'm not asking for flying cars or anything, but we're not even getting progress updates anymore.

Last edited by T_Bone on 13-Jan-2006 at 11:41 AM.

Toaks 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 11:53:30
#212 ]
Elite Member

@hazydave

hey, good to see you're still around

that info about hedley davis was most appriciated though i won't consider the xbox360 anyway, i want the PS3 (which more and more seems to be a hoax so far)

pama 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 11:56:18
#213 ]

@Hitback

Quote:

Jobs may suprise us and do this But my money is on that the Mac PC division will disappear and only the Ipod device market will remain. Have you seen the price of a Mac Book? No thanks

Hi Hitback,

I'm for a longish time been interested in MacOSX, but never been willing to buy extra hardware just to try it out (not even Mac mini). The possibility to run WinXP and OSX in the same machine (that is possible, right?) is tempting and would make the transition from XP smooth. And I would still have XP in the background for games etc, if ever needed.

Even with some (I really do not know what the price difference is) price premium on IntelMacs, I suppose it would still be cheaper for me to switch to OSX than before, when you had to buy a separate machine. My wife would never allow me to spend small fortune on a Mac experience , but updating X86 hardware (to a good quality Mac(?)) should be fine, so this opens me a 'window' of new possibilties.

And I believe I'm not the only one.

IMHO, of course.
Pasi

PS: If only Apple would make a PDA also. I fooled myself to update from old Handera330 to PocketPC, but there something in the OS that I dislike.

minator 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 12:09:27
#214 ]
Cult Member

@hazydave

Quote:
As someone mentions further down, there's the Power5 chips running in high-end IBM machines (they don't run the PowerPC instruction set, they run the Power5 instruction set -- PowerPC was derived, originally, from a scaled down Power2 or Power3 chip architecture;

As I understand it the original PowerPC was originally derived from the POWER instruction set but they were later reunified, POWER switched to the PowerPC ISA in POWER2 or 3. There are differences in the hardware but these seem to be mostly at the OS level. POWER6 takes the integration further as it will also include AltiVec/VMX.

Quote:
PPC970 is based on Power5 ideas too, but it's not Power5). What they're leaving out is the fact that those are massively parallel systems, and most of what IBM sells the throughput of such huge machines, not the specific integer performance of any single CPU.

Yes, that's really the difference now. The 970 is pretty much a POWER4 core with AltiVec welded on but without any of the high end I/O.

Quote:
Oh, and the fact such a CPU, if available, would run you something like $5,000 a piece.

Absolutely, low end POWER systems cost around that much.
I was making the point that PPC isn't just in embedded stuff.

-Sam- 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 12:13:21
#215 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:
'I want not to be a sheep and follow the others at all costs'.

As long as your decision is based on what is best for your needs rather than being different for the sake of it then that is fine.

-Sam- 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 12:15:29
#216 ]
Elite Member

@Restore2003

Quote:
How about a third attempt to resurrect the amiga?

Haven't had a proper second one yet.

If I was 'doing an Amiga from scratch' you would be better off starting everything from scratch - even the name.

wegster 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 12:33:28
#217 ]
Elite Member

@pama

Quote:
Jobs may suprise us and do this But my money is on that the Mac PC division will disappear and only the Ipod device market will remain. Have you seen the price of a Mac Book? No thanks

If anyone has a chance to remain profitable in 'commodity hardware,' it's Apple. I've never been a fan of their OS, although OS X is _much better_ (thank you, Unix), but even MicroSoft could learn something from them. They marketed their way to the top of the 'cool to be geek/chic' market; they invented it along the way. Moreover, whether they've announced it or not, look at everything in place...they're not seeling systems, they're doing what IBM has changed their model to- they're selling solutions.

Buy an iPod. Why? Used to be because they're cool but weren't great devices, now they are arguably among the best, and the accessories market is overwhlming for them. A new market, which they get fees from as well as additional accessory sales.

"Ooh, this is...nice' says the customer. (and it is, that silly little 'click wheel' was so simple it's genius) I've heard that iTunes works even better with a Mac. If they can make me this happy with an iPod, maybe I should take a look?

"They're sort of expensive...oh wait, what's this? Mac Mini...Hrm, it's cheap, only a bit more than my iPod cost me, I'll try it!'

They're building an infrastructure to dominate the media market that's been that 'hanging fruit' people have talked about in living room/media integration forever, yet no one has managed, because they stated what they were doing. Apple didn't talk, they've just done it before you realize it.

Car stereos comes with iPod kits (Hello App licensing fee for accessories). If they're not picking up fees as they push cell companies to 'prepare the market' for them (but not succeed really, mind you), they should be.

Next step- the cell phone integration that doesn't suck, made by the one company that people are already willing to 'pay more for, because it's cool.' People drop $400 on an iPod without a problem, do you think an 8GB Nano with stylus/touchscreen and phone capabilities wouldn't go for $600 and sell like hotcakes? Price a Treo before you answer. Let's go a step further, where people are mostly unwilling to pay for phones, and the money to be made there is in cell service. Apple just changed a good portion of that market into willing customers if done right. Sell them an iPod that replaces your PDA and phone, do a cool little Apple commercial with some modern rebel/hippie type kids, and watch them sell, even from people that were unwilling to pay more than $50 for _any_ cell phone previously.

And what does all of this do? makes their products even more desirable, thus maintaining high dollar and...profits. Most as a result of a little box that could play music, and not even as well as the competition (1st/2nd gen iPods), and some very excellent marketing.

And, OS X...it's 'fake geek' enough to be 'cool,' it's usable enough that I can _almost_ use it as a *nux...and look, now it runs on x86.

Most markets wind up in price wars because of competition, but when there's no competition in the market you're in, demand sets the prices. Apple has managed to turn a losing hardware business into their own market they've created along the way, without competition for the most part. There is always a high end market as well, which can get premium prices, but even less room for competition there. Apple's given the impression, right or wrong, along the lines of BMW and Porsche, and are getting their prices, and then some. Move to x86? Great, higher margins!

Wait until the rest of their little 'empire' is built, and if suddenly OS X doesn't suddenly run on 'other systems,' I expect it's about timing.

I'm sorry, even though Jobs is a total ass (half sis worked for him at NeXt of all places for a while), he's managing to do something quite amazing, going from a position of near bankruptcy and a losing hand to holding many more cards that he's let on along the way. If played right, Apple could become very...impressive.

dolen 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 12:33:57
#218 ]

If someone wonder about what an ex amiga user wants, Im one.

I just want to run Amiga OS again or something similar. Maybe it wont run everything I need to run but I will ofcourse also have a wintel as most people do.

I totally agree with Dave. I can run Linux and I can run XP. Would I run AmigaOS if I could? Absolutely, I would do everthing that would be possible on it!!

I would regain my C programming skills and improve myself.
I would make my workbench screen be the most beutiful one in the world.
I would enjoy the community.
I would brag about my short bootup time.
I would customize the OS.

It´s simple! Computing has not been fun since my A4000ppc!

It´s like comparing my villa with a supermarket. I can get hold of much more stuff on the supermarket, but I would not call it home.

And I´m warning you! Do not mess up my home!

tomazkid 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 12:49:42
#219 ]
Team Member

@T_Bone

Quote:
How can anything else be justified? "We're making this custom because it's, um, slower, and um, cost more?"

We're geeks, and like geeky thingies?

Well, my reason for getting this expensive thingie called AmigaOne, was due to getting tired of constantly needing to rebuild my A1200, everytime I wanted to add some new hardware.

pama 
Posted on 13-Jan-2006 12:54:15
#220 ]

@wegster

I suppose you were answering to Hitback, not me.

Sorry, my post was misleading because of the way I quoted Hitback.

I agree with you that Apple might get far if it plays it cards right. We should not underestimate the basic human need to be cool

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle